• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Rain ledge hogged really early, and the Marth DS'd too early as well, if Rain had stalled longer before an edge hug Marth would have been screwed, If the Marth waited longer for the ds after Rain edge hugged too early he would have been fine...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I heard about the dthrow stuff, I heard something like vs. fox/falco it's plausible, but wolf is debatable, something about his reflector.

Spade1

Smash Apprentice
Rain ledge hogged really early, and the Marth DS'd too early as well, if Rain had stalled longer before an edge hug Marth would have been screwed, If the Marth waited longer for the ds after Rain edge hugged too early he would have been fine...
I take it you mean that as long as Falco times his ledge grab perfectly, there is nothing marth can do about it.

wow.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Wolf's Reflector has 5 invincibility frames.

:sniper:
But does that mean he can't do it? Or is it possible with more tight timing?
Edit: yes, I knew that it had invincibility frames (it even has it on the smashbros site, lol), but I want to know if it's possible, or if it it is better to just end it with something.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
But does that mean he can't do it? Or is it possible with more tight timing?
Edit: yes, I knew that it had invincibility frames (it even has it on the smashbros site, lol), but I want to know if it's possible, or if it it is better to just end it with something.
I think it would have to depend on damage and the throw and stuff just test it and have the wolf press down B continuously.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Is full-hop D-air out of shield ever a good idea? I do it a lot, and it seems to work, but my opponent might just suck at avoiding that. It seems to SS pretty much every time

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Dair is always unsafe, period. Its not like MK's where it comes out at the speed of light. ALso marths diar has monsterous lag. If they shield your dair out of shield, you will be punished if your opponent knows how to play the game lol.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Is full-hop D-air out of shield ever a good idea? I do it a lot, and it seems to work, but my opponent might just suck at avoiding that. It seems to SS pretty much every time
Yes, it's a very good option, as it covers the entire ground below you. Make sure you continue to move away from your opponent. If they don't have greater aerial mobility than you, it will be extremely hard for them to punish, even if they block it. I do this frequently.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
It all depends on the character you are playing.

Certain characters will be able to easily punish it while others really can't do anything about it, even if they shield.

I don't use it much, I should implement it more for certain matchups .... *mumble mumble*

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Dair is always unsafe, period. Its not like MK's where it comes out at the speed of light. ALso marths diar has monsterous lag. If they shield your dair out of shield, you will be punished if your opponent knows how to play the game lol.
lol u weren't here when this was rediscussed.
It's okay, nothing truly ground breaking vs. people like MK or such, but it is certainly an option that's worthwhile to keep.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I guess its just from my experience but i see ppl geting punished for this more often then it actually landing thus making it seem like a VERY situational option. Heck, if i were do it then i get utilted by snake, Shuttle looped by mk, uaired or up B'd by ZSS and the list goes on. Marth shouldnt ever have to use this option and even considering using it leads me to belive that u failed in spacing or made some other mistake along the way. I would almost rather whiff a DS or go for a shieldbreaker rather than resort to dair OoS even tho the dair may be a bit safer than that or say walking away, dash away pivot grab, etc.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
spam. lame.

sometimes when i land on the ground (usually after i jump from below the edge) marth slides a considerable distance.. what's the cause and does it have any uses?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
You aren't being very specific, but I suppose you could be craq walking.

Does it look like you're momentum is giving you a backwards slide?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
it happens sliding forward as well.. marth slides forward on the ground a bit faster than a walk. it seems to happen most after : ledgedrop>jump>fair onto stage.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Well like Bengal said, it's the same effect from Craw walking. Basically, when you jump, especially with a directional input, and land right after, you'll see a puff of "smoke" when you land. It's normal with every character, although some characters can slide more because they have less "traction" ( For example, Luigi, who barely has any traction ).

Yes it does have uses. They're not extremely useful benefits, but like always, small things like this will always help you in the end. It's like the same effect as wavedashing in Melee, except to a much lesser degree.

Some things you could do with this:

Jump up from the edge, then do a Fair ( to hit them if they are waiting for you on the ledge ), and then if you decide not to do a double Fair, then instead you can just autocancel the Fair, and land on the ground (right when you're landing, the more you hold to the direction you're facing, the more you'll slide), then you can jump again and do a Fair, or you can do a Fsmash or such (the "slide" from the jump will slide you a little even while the attack is initiated).

I guess generally it gives you more range :).

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
No, he's gonna destroy you.
How do you know? You never seen me play. Besides I said MAYBE a SMALL chance. I just wanna face him sometime.
Just forget it, this debate won't go anywhere. You most likely do have a small chance, it is possible, and I'd like to play him too :)

Oh and just had to try the blue name out, I'm actually considering running tourneys soon, maybe during the summer...

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Fine...

Rukki's name looks good in Blue.

And his avatar matches. (I also <3 Voltage, too good.)

K, so anyway, the options out of an aerial grab release on MK are:

1. Fair
2. Nair
3. Up-B
4. Running Usmash?

Anything I'm missing? I've been practicing this stuff a lot, and I've got these 4 down so I was just wondering if there was any other stuff that works.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Fine...

Rukki's name looks good in Blue.

And his avatar matches. (I also <3 Voltage, too good.)

K, so anyway, the options out of an aerial grab release on MK are:

1. Fair
2. Nair
3. Up-B
4. Running Usmash?

Anything I'm missing? I've been practicing this stuff a lot, and I've got these 4 down so I was just wondering if there was any other stuff that works.
running up smash doesnt work

dancing blade does but it's easily DI'd out of.

dash attack works too

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Is FThrow -> FThrow -> DThrow -> DThrow -> Stutterstep Fsmash, the most damaging chain on Fox?

If you get the tipper the damage is 37%, and while the combo isn't absolute, it does decent damage. Plus it puts Fox in a bad position.

Is there a better chain?

Spade1

Smash Apprentice
What is the safest way to recover while pit shoots arrows at you?

edit: (when you're in a position that you have to do more than hold right/left and airdodge)

edit2: yes i mean when pit is on the stage.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I'm guessing you mean when he's on the stage? If that's the case, unfortunately I can't think of any cases where you can't just DI or airdodge. If he's a good distance away from the edge of the stage, and if you're not too far below the stage, I guess you could even use a counter to block the arrow, although I don't think this would be a good idea, for most of the time, at least. You could Fair/Uair/etc to cancel the arrow.

Just a note, like I said earlier, these tips are only considering if Pit is on the stage, shooting arrows around the edge towards you ( or above the edge towards you, if you're high above the stage but not directly above it either ).

Edit: Ok then so far I can only think of either Countering it (only if you're sure you will be close enough to Up B even if Pit's arrow misses you), or canceling it with an attack (Fair if it's in front of you, Uair if it's above. I wouldn't use Nair since the hitbox is narrower and it may be risky, but with a bit of practice Nair would be better).

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Just out of curiosity.....has anyone ever had some sort of lag offline? I was playing today and both my wireless and non wireless controllers were occasionally lagging. Now I'm worried about my game., never happened before. ._.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I recommend the following if you feel like you're lagging offline.

1) Don't use an HD T.V. They don't run brawl at 60fps like it's supposed to.
2) Use wired controllers. Trust me. It makes a difference.
3) If you're lagging in item matches on big stages with a ****-ton of stuff going on(like the game lags), then that's normal. It's the wii, not the PS3. It's the low end system when it comes down to it.

Hope that helps.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Just out of curiosity.....has anyone ever had some sort of lag offline? I was playing today and both my wireless and non wireless controllers were occasionally lagging. Now I'm worried about my game., never happened before. ._.
and check to make sure your wii is plugged in through the tv, not the vcr/dvd/blue ray player.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Yeah, I have all of the above done and everything is plugged in, but it was my wired controller. I ***** it while playing melee over the past few days, and it's messed up now. >.< I noticed when scrolling down through names it would randomly pause for 1-3 seconds. Just need to replace it I think.

Top Bottom