• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Nic64

Smash Lord
What makes MK so good in LM. I thought he was an aerial character and LM is good for characters with good ground games (Oli, Diddy Snake)
MK actually has the most range on his ground attacks, marth outranges him in the air. Luigi's is retardedly good for MK because of this, tornado on the lower floor is ridiculous, and he can set up some stupid things if you hit the ceiling and fail to tech like dtilting you all the way across the stage. It's also a pretty massive stage where you live for a long time, unless you get gimped. LM is a good pick to ban if it's a legal stage, it's really stupid.

and yes, tap jump on is almost always best, only character I ever turn it off for is snake and even then I usually don't bother.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Tap jump ON, no question.

Dolphin Slash out of shield (DS OoS) is one of marth's most viable killing/escaping weapons. It punishes almost anything (from MKs tornado to another marth's dancing blade down). You simply can't live without DS OoS, but if you absolutely hate tap jump...
learn to press Y just before dolphin slash from the shield. it will have the same effect, but it's more difficult.
just leave tap jump on.

A~Kid/ToonethLinkage

Wants His Own Custom Title
Tap jump ON, no question.

Dolphin Slash out of shield (DS OoS) is one of marth's most viable killing/escaping weapons. It punishes almost anything (from MKs tornado to another marth's dancing blade down). You simply can't live without DS OoS, but if you absolutely hate tap jump...
learn to press Y just before dolphin slash from the shield. it will have the same effect, but it's more difficult.
just leave tap jump on.
Thank you man! I'll leave it on! :D And one more question (pretty silly actually) Does Roy_R have a Smashboards account?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Hm... I'm not sure, but if he does he's a lurker... why do you ask? there's tons of videos of him in our Marth Video Thread, if that's what you're after.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
To add to what the others said, LM, having such far blastzones, heavily favors characters with good recovery.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Dancing Blade is an exceptionally good move, but spamming anything is bad for lots of reasons.
1: it will grow stale and weak (this is a new aspect of smash introduced in brawl)
2: you become predictable
3: with predictability comes punishability
and many others.

don't get into the habbit of spamming

Roxas M

Smash Master
Dancing Blade is an exceptionally good move, but spamming anything is bad for lots of reasons.
1: it will grow stale and weak (this is a new aspect of smash introduced in brawl)
2: you become predictable
3: with predictability comes punishability
and many others.

don't get into the habbit of spamming
are there any other moves you can substitute for dancing blade?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Well I really would like to talk to him and Brawl him, he inspired me to be a better Marth player, and I think that MAYBE I have a SMALL chance at beating him.
No, he's gonna destroy you.

Hm... I'm not sure, but if he does he's a lurker... why do you ask? there's tons of videos of him in our Marth Video Thread, if that's what you're after.
He has an account.

It's just Roy_R iirc.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Is it okay that I play SSBB better when I think that every moment of it I'd rather prefer playing something else?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Dancing Blade is a universal punisher. It punishes rolls, spot dodges, whiffed moves, etc etc. Used correctly, it shouldn't need be replaced, as it refreshes your other moves. But if your good a predicting, you can surely punish with other moves (aka smashes).

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Is it okay that I play SSBB better when I think that every moment of it I'd rather prefer playing something else?
LOL, you should've posted that in the tactical boards.
That has nothing to do with marth.
And to answer your question, it depends on the type of person you are. If you like to win yes and if you like to play for fun then no.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Depends on how much lag you have, if you've got an extra ten frames of lag to work with, you can shield-drop to f-smash (don't bother if it's not a tipper), or with 6 downsmash, 12 is upsmash, and 7 is dtilt which is safer on shield, you can also shieldgrab.

This all depends on your spacing and your opponent's percent, the smashes are for kills, and the shieldgrab is for grab games. Dtilt is when you're not sure you're safe, but overall dancing blade is the most reliable, and gonna be your most used punisher.

Dolphin Slash (up-b) is a little unique because it's got frame 1 activation (invincability until the hitbox comes out on frame 5). Because of this, can act like Bowser's fortress and punish things nothing else can, like jab combos while you're being hit, and some chaingrabs. It's also a kill move at reasonable percents, unlike dancing blade.

A word of caution though, if you miss or hit shield, or get spotdodged, or anything other then hitting with it (and at low percents, even that doesn't guarantee safety), you will get punished... badly. As in gimpyfish combo badly. So stick with you other punishers unless you're absolutely sure it will work, but it's great to have when you need it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
4th db^ can KO...

just stick with db =\ its (one of) marth's best move(s).
Not until mad late, especially since it's gonna be really stale if you use it like you should.

Still, trufax, dancing blade is amazing, abuse it. When you get really good you'll start to learn when you can use other moves to punish, just realize they're there.

Except Dolphin slash, which is also amazing. Learning when to use that and not get punished is REALLY important, especially if you fight falco a lot. You can up-b out of his chain-grab that otherwise could be a 0-death in a lot of situations.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
yeah marth's first db hit alone can be linked well to other moves, its a great connector.

The motto of my marth: "Dancing blade: Learn it, live it (but kill with it), love it (but make your enemies hate it)."

TRA

Smash Journeyman
My quick question is something I'm asking because I'm feeling lazy tonight and don't want to test it or look for it, so I appologize and I hope you guys can give me a quick answer.

I just saw watched a match where a Marth player tried to counter the wave of lava on Norfair. It looked like he timed it perfectly, but it failed to work and the Marth player lost a stock.

Can Marth counter the lava wave on Norfair?

Time
Runs
Away

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
My quick question is something I'm asking because I'm feeling lazy tonight and don't want to test it or look for it, so I appologize and I hope you guys can give me a quick answer.

I just saw watched a match where a Marth player tried to counter the wave of lava on Norfair. It looked like he timed it perfectly, but it failed to work and the Marth player lost a stock.

Time
Runs
Away

No he can't counter it at least not to my knowledge I know pit's down B does something weird but that's bout it.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
yeah marth's first db hit alone can be linked well to other moves, its a great connector.

The motto of my marth: "Dancing blade: Learn it, live it (but kill with it), love it (but make your enemies hate it)."
Doesn't auto-combo as far as I remember except in Brawl+, unless I'm forgetting something.

Lol, don't worry dude, I know and love my dancing blade, I'm just pointing out other options exist, no matter how generally inferior and situational they may be.

Except Dolphin Slash, Dolphin slash, though a lot more situational is also completely amazing.

The combination of those two moves make Marth's OOS game the best in the game, only bowser comes close (because fortress has similar attributes to DS, but is a lot safer), with MK placing somewhere behind at third.

Everything else is icing on the cake.

If you use DB4 Up correctly, it kills around 130%~ fresh I think
Yeah, but when are you ever gonna use it fresh? The other 4 hits stale it, remember? Yeah, it does kill at like 130 fresh if you tipper it, but that isn't really a kill move, because the end result is the number is too high to be viable.

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice

Time
Runs
Away
You can counter it, but the timing is pretty weird. It's not any more finicky than any other Marf counter, but it can be really hard to tell exactly when the lava is going to hit. My guess is that the guy you're watching countered a little bit too early. I know it can be done because I've done it. Try it yourself.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Doesn't auto-combo as far as I remember except in Brawl+, unless I'm forgetting something.

Lol, don't worry dude, I know and love my dancing blade, I'm just pointing out other options exist, no matter how generally inferior and situational they may be.

Except Dolphin Slash, Dolphin slash, though a lot more situational is also completely amazing.

The combination of those two moves make Marth's OOS game the best in the game, only bowser comes close (because fortress has similar attributes to DS, but is a lot safer), with MK placing somewhere behind at third.

Everything else is icing on the cake.

Yeah, but when are you ever gonna use it fresh? The other 4 hits stale it, remember? Yeah, it does kill at like 130 fresh if you tipper it, but that isn't really a kill move, because the end result is the number is too high to be viable.
yes, yes. All marths love db ^,^ and yeah, dolphin slash is too pro.
Speaking of the two moves: I often connect first db and ds for +/-150% kills. I'm pretty confident this isn't a sure combo, but they usually don't react quickly enough to stop me. and since its usually near a ledge i just ff right onto the ledge for a safe return to the stage =D
and no, it's almost never fresh.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Ok thanks for the thread.
Another question, I saw a video of a Marth playing and he continuously did a DB1 in the air into an U air.
I tried it but the DB gave me too much upward momentum and i could never connect with it. And when I did the DB at the top of my jump, the Uair wouldnt connect either.
Could someone give me detailed information on how to do because it looks very useful.

Heres the link to the vid http://dic.nicovideo.jp/v/sm5415490

EDIT:this is blukberry BTW (forgot to log out of my bros account :p)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Ok thanks for the thread.
Another question, I saw a video of a Marth playing and he continuously did a DB1 in the air into an U air.
I tried it but the DB gave me too much upward momentum and i could never connect with it. And when I did the DB at the top of my jump, the Uair wouldnt connect either.
Could someone give me detailed information on how to do because it looks very useful.

Heres the link to the vid http://dic.nicovideo.jp/v/sm5415490

EDIT:this is blukberry BTW (forgot to log out of my bros account :p)
It's an alright mix up it's just they can shield or attack in between. just time it better if you're having trouble landing it.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Bellioes you just aren't doing the DB fast enough after the jump. If you do then the uair should connect. Also you might want to try to FF before uair.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I dunno, I think he can only use Up-B, but idk.

Nothing against the Japanese, but the fact that the Marth didn't DS when Falco was CG'ing him makes that kind of hard to believe.

I'll test it I guess.

:sniper:

Top Bottom