• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice
Here is a question that has probably been done to death, but here goes. I'm learning how to spike and I can't hit with it constantly yet, should spiking be something that a Marth fully implements into their playstyle, or should it be used as just something to throw in to throw your opponent off. Conversely, can a competitive Marth live without the spike?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
LOL you suck too

wifi marths are so funny
I think I'm pretty decent >_>

And i'm not wi-fi only, I'm wi-fi and local tourney only ; _ ;

and steel everyone knows viets good, except for him.

Here is a question that has probably been done to death, but here goes. I'm learning how to spike and I can't hit with it constantly yet, should spiking be something that a Marth fully implements into their playstyle, or should it be used as just something to throw in to throw your opponent off. Conversely, can a competitive Marth live without the spike?
I supppose so, but it's a lot easier than some of the things you'll have to be doing to be a competitive Marth anyways so you'll probably end up getting good at it as you go along.

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice
I've never been given the opportunity to work on it against a human player, so I suppose it will take longer. When you mention things you have to do to be a competitive Marth, what are you referring to?

Oh, and nice vid Junk.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
You people and your secrets....

I just had a breakthrough about Marth yesterday too.
He's RIGHT HANDED!
Omg so like, never attack with your left hand k?

Sharing is caring junk.
lol, does this mean that Marth is left brained? Because based on studies, that would mean that there is a lack of fine motor coordination (which would explain why I trip into the crap that I do which loses my precious stocks).A tutorial video would be ok for beginners, but Marth isn't per se one of those "omg, gotta go OCD on every possible gimmick/trick, and I have to see the matchup on paper to win!", I see his game as a lot more experimental and seen better if you try it out for yourself.Also, the Haruhi stuff is overgrown here. I can't get anywhere without running into it. I gotta bring a machete from now on to navigate throug these forums, lol.Haruhi's still good tho.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I've never been given the opportunity to work on it against a human player, so I suppose it will take longer. When you mention things you have to do to be a competitive Marth, what are you referring to?

Oh, and nice vid Junk.
Nothing too technical, bascially mastering spacing and getting good at making smart decisions and all that.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
lol, does this mean that Marth is left brained? Because based on studies, that would mean that there is a lack of fine motor coordination (which would explain why I trip into the crap that I do which loses my precious stocks).A tutorial video would be ok for beginners, but Marth isn't per se one of those "omg, gotta go OCD on every possible gimmick/trick, and I have to see the matchup on paper to win!", I see his game as a lot more experimental and seen better if you try it out for yourself.Also, the Haruhi stuff is overgrown here. I can't get anywhere without running into it. I gotta bring a machete from now on to navigate throug these forums, lol.Haruhi's still good tho.
MOAR

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering. Is D-air ever a good choice for off-stage gimps, or is it best to play it safe by using F-airs or N-airs?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
lol, does this mean that Marth is left brained? Because based on studies, that would mean that there is a lack of fine motor coordination
So that's why I will never be technical

=((((((((

Just wondering. Is D-air ever a good choice for off-stage gimps, or is it best to play it safe by using F-airs or N-airs?
Fairs and Nairs are generally better.

Sorta depends on the character too but the ease of hitting with fair and nair make them a superior choice over dair anyway.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
If your going for gimps use Fair or Bair. Nair works good for large charactes like D3 because they will almost be guaranteed to get hit by the second hit of Nair.

Dair is for spiking.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the replies. So is spiking an option that is rarely ever used by professional Marths? Assuming that you've got a good handle of the spacing required for the spike, it seems that D-air can be used for some very early KOs.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
dair is for more than spiking, but that's for a level of play MUCH beyond what you should practice now.

Also, it is not necessary to have Dair in your moveset right now.

I spike every chance, but it's not necessary.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Thanks for the replies. So is spiking an option that is rarely ever used by professional Marths? Assuming that you've got a good handle of the spacing required for the spike, it seems that D-air can be used for some very early KOs.
It's situational to say the least. There are times when the best option is to go for the spike. Often off a ledge hop when someones recovering low. Also if you're down by a lot it's an ok desperation tactic i guess, lol.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
dair is for more than spiking, but that's for a level of play MUCH beyond what you should practice now.

Also, it is not necessary to have Dair in your moveset right now.

I spike every chance, but it's not necessary.

Just out of curiosity, what is D-air useful for besides spiking? It seems the incredible lag afterwards deter most players from utilizing it on-stage.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
A few things. If you're interested in implementing it, I guess I'd start with using Full Hop Dair OOS. Untippered, does approx. 12. Tippered, it does 14. If you drift away from your opponent, it will be hard for them to punish, even if you hit shield.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Combo, no. However it has IASA frames, which can interrupt the move an lt you do another, such as DB or another DTilt.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Just out of curiosity, how do you air release characters with Marth? I've never really known how, just wondering now since I'm aware that you can tipper an Fair following it.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
And 3xS returns to take over the Q&A thread. *epic music*
... no not really -_-

Can d-tilt combo into anything at all?
Anyway. At 0% on most characters, untipper dtilt combos into jab, DS and DB. At higher %'s untipper dtilt can combo into another dtilt, d-smash, maybe f-smash and ftilt. After that nothing.

Just out of curiosity, how do you air release characters with Marth? I've never really known how, just wondering now since I'm aware that you can tipper an Fair following it.
Rukkiko you are being confusing. To have a guarantee air release the character you are grabbing must be short enough so that their feet are off the ground when you grab them. As long as you don't pummel hit them the moment the release they will always air release. The other way is when you opponent inputs a jump command while they try to struggle out of the grab and as long as you didn't pummel them the moment they would have released from your grab they will air release.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
3xSwords said:
have a guarantee air release the character you are grabbing must be short enough so that their feet are off the ground when you grab them. As long as you don't pummel hit them the moment the release they will always air release. The other way is when you opponent inputs a jump command while they try to struggle out of the grab and as long as you didn't pummel them the moment they would have released from your grab they will air release.
This is way better put, gah. Can i call time johns?

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Ahh, I had no idea about the character height. I just knew you couldn't hit them while they're grabbed to do it. Thanks for that. :3

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Asked this in Bowser forums too.

Start watching at 6:52. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7IZSNqfZNI

What happens to Bowser's shield following the Shieldbreaker? Is this something with Marth's Up Smash or just Bowser's shield?
Ah I misread, you said following the shieldbreaker. Then what Pierce said was right, i think the hitbox at the feet shieldstabbed but the The hitbox of the sword connected with the shield, negating the effects.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I already looked into that, and figured out what happened. In a nutshell, the Usmash has two "related hitboxes." The foot hitbox shieldstabbed, but SINCE the sword hitbox connected with Bowser's shield, it did no damage, as the attack was considered shielded.

Top Bottom