• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
hii marth peoples

two questions lol.

anybody can give me advice on marth's dair spike? I can get them when i do it but i have some trouble getting back onto the stage.

any advice on going against a marth who is always on the defensive?
Advice on Marth's D-air? It sounds like you should just quit using it. Sure, it's awesome when you land the D-air, but doing so is extremely difficult, and it's extremely punishable when you miss. Besides, it sounds like you're going out too far offstage to recover afterwards anyway.

As far as fighting a defensive Marth goes, that really comes down to how well you understand Marth's moveset. One tool you might find useful, shield breaker is Marth's longest ranged move, so if they whiff an attack in front of you, you can often use that to punish. The main thing is to get good at juggling and edge trapping. The neutral game in a ditto match is always awkward to learn, but Marth can juggle and edge trap himself extremely well, meaning that if you get that first hit, you should be able to add a lot of % onto your opponent before they can get back to solid ground.

One last note, since Marth takes a step forwards when F-smashing, if the opponent just misses an F-smash, you can punish it with your own F-smash... and given the range involved, you have a good chance of hitting the tipper.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
hii marth peoples

two questions lol.

anybody can give me advice on marth's dair spike? I can get them when i do it but i have some trouble getting back onto the stage.

any advice on going against a marth who is always on the defensive?
Don't fast fall it off stage. Slightly tilt the analog stick down when you do it to prevent fast falling, or do it out of your double jump and retreat back to the stage as you do it.

C.J.

Smash Master
Middle. But if he can DS out, 99% of the time he can also footstool->airdodge out as well. And DS doesn't always actually hit MK so then you get super punished. Plus if it's at the end of the nado and the MK isn't mashing B so that he gets the AC landing you'll almost never hit him and then get super punished. And ofc if you're mashing it, and then he ends the nado early, you whiff and get bodied for it.

tl;dr it's okay every once-in-awhile, but footstooling out is a lot safer/almost as likely to work.

Kel

Smash Master
What are the most basic bread and butter mindgames that Marth has? I know many, but I want to make sure that I have them all before I start mindgaming on top of mindgaming when I player higher level players.

For example: short hop moving toward opponent with a FAIR or NAIR. Then, freeze in place to catch your opponent's knee jerk reaction that says "ROLL!"

^ The above basic mind game can also be applied to dashing away from your opponent when they are shielding, over Bing toward your opponent one time, and then dashing away again and over Bing toward your opponent again to catch the roll.

I'm looking for basic things like the above two mind games that Marths use to probe the opponent to find weaknesses and perhaps catch them with their pants down.

Tennet

Smash Champion
When I SH FF Fair, should I shield/dash to cancel the landing lag or is there better options, or is it a situational choice?

NH Cody

Smash Champion
What are the most basic bread and butter mindgames that Marth has? I know many, but I want to make sure that I have them all before I start mindgaming on top of mindgaming when I player higher level players.

For example: short hop moving toward opponent with a FAIR or NAIR. Then, freeze in place to catch your opponent's knee jerk reaction that says "ROLL!"

^ The above basic mind game can also be applied to dashing away from your opponent when they are shielding, over Bing toward your opponent one time, and then dashing away again and over Bing toward your opponent again to catch the roll.

I'm looking for basic things like the above two mind games that Marths use to probe the opponent to find weaknesses and perhaps catch them with their pants down.
some of my favorites are
retreating SH, wait, spaced fair
SH, observe, FF DB
approach with walking, dash back, pivot grab (or DB as you described)
SH retreating fair, FF grab or DB
when your opponent is offstage and likely to recover low, crouch and stand up repeatedly then quickly grab the ledge or spike (only try to spike if it's like, fox, falco, snake, etc., and you have the timing down)

I think baiting airdodges is by far the most important mindgame. If you just take a second every now and then to think about when your opponent will airdodge/roll/spotdodge/etc., it will pay off tenfold. but back to specific mindgames...

platform cancel shenanigans are great, such as jump > platform cancel drop through > fair, or when your opponent is on the platform, simple PC grab

Cross-ups are also good. Examples: SH DB 1 > airdodge behind > grab
when falling, wait until the last second before you hit the ground and airdodge behind your opponent and DB

I can list more if you want but I hope that this helps ;)

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
What are marths best options when someone is under him in the air and when someone is behind him on the ground?

Jeos

Smash Journeyman

I'll leave you my favourite one: dash away, foxtrot, dash towards opponent then DB on their face.

this works almost 100% of the time on mid to low level play since they won't react in time or think they can release their shield to do something to you.

another one is, dash, jump and look like a crazy ****, then walk to them, then react to whatever they do.

and one that looks great is SH wavebounced DB1, if they try to punish you, complete the combo, if not you're safe

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
What are marths best options when someone is under him in the air and when someone is behind him on the ground?
you should never be above someone, if by any chance you are, then make sure to take distance from your opponent, feel free to FF AD away but I don't find it reliable.

if they're behind you on ground, you can just turn around do whatever you want, shield or get the hell out and reset the your spacing.

don't ever forward roll because you'll get punished

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
do u mean if you both are in the air and they're below u? or your in the air and there on the ground below u? I'll go with the ladder.

if theyre below you it all depends, if theyre charging a usmash and you have no jumps Jesus Christ don't air dodge, just counter. try and time it right. if they JUST rolled under you use ff dair and hit em. I'm assuming u meant if u don't have any jumps. if u have a jump stall with db1 and jump away try and maintain your spacing.

if they roll behind you PLZ don't roll behind them that's a bad habit and is easily read, just roll away from them, or if youre quick enough on reaction db them every time for easy damage. hope that helps.

also what jeos said ^^
:phone:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou! Im very new to marth because I was a mk main for a long time and mained lucario too for about a month. Dont worry about me rolling, i barely roll, even with lucario.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Be very careful with using counter with an opponent directly below you. Since counter slows your vertical momentum, you have a narrow window for timing it... particularly since counter doesn't quite cover the bottom of Marth's hurtbox, meaning you need to be even more precise. Furthermore, if the opponent reads the counter, they get a fully charged smash on you, which could result in some very early deaths.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
also counter doesn't cover Marths feet from below.

I hate to say it but if
youre falling into a usmash with no jumps just go ahead and start momentum canceling bc you're going
to get hit =\

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
he can FF into the opponent and DS on the face, that works great, also FF U-air works the same but more risky since you won't get invincibility frames, but the main idea is to surprise with a FF so you mess up his timing.

Dogg/Naoki/Suzaku

Smash Apprentice
Good to know about the footstool out of tornado. The only thing I'm worried about is losing a jump, then getting juggled.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Yeah, Brawl doesn't have enough hitstun for any guaranteed combos. If you want those, you're best served by playing Melee.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
There is enough hitstun, you are just able to cancel it with moves. If any character, Marth is really good at combos. Doesn't double fair sometimes work without being able to escape?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
There are a lot of low-damage combos with pretty much any character.

iirc, Marth has some Uair into stuff at that instance.

rice819

Smash Rookie
what is a way to approch the other person if a person keeps spamming projectiles so i dont get close. also a way against pikachu. pls help

C.J.

Smash Master
Walk to PS the projectiles until you get into range and then force an action and react.

And the titles are related to number of posts you have- they're meaningless.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Does SH Fair to another Fair to DB or Up b combo at 0%? And does landed Uair to Usmash or Utilt combo at 0% too?

Kel

Smash Master
What do you do with MK at 0% when you grab? I cannot seem to get tipper fsmash perfectly all the time and I recall Mike doing something to me at 0% back at MLG Columbus when I played that jerk character.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
GR > dair > regrab > GR > nair

Or fthrow > nair > jab

Or figure out how to time fthrow > fsmash

clowsui

Smash Legend
What do you do with MK at 0% when you grab? I cannot seem to get tipper fsmash perfectly all the time and I recall Mike doing something to me at 0% back at MLG Columbus when I played that jerk character.
kel it's stutter step back

fthrow fthrow usmash if you're throwing him starting from the edge of the stage and into the middle. this does 4+3+20 and setups up juggle

PEACE7

Smash Champion
To get the tipper you have to wait a tiny moment after the throw before you do the fsmash so that it tippers the timing is easy or you can stutter step, dthrow to tipper also works but it will only work if they don't see it coming otherwise they will shield it.

Top Bottom