• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

V

Smash Ace
On a scale of 1 out of 10, how good is Marth's Dtilt, and what are it's main uses?
9 or 10. Its good for shield pressure, ledge pressure, spacing people on the ground, pushing people offstage, frame trapping, combos at low %, it has many uses and probably one of your best moves.

:phone:

V

Smash Ace
Mike and tyrant were playing GF at a tourney Saturday and tyrant SL'd offstage and was freefalling to grab the ledge and mike did the quick DS edgegrab so tyrant would fall to his death. Had mike tried a regular ledge grab tyrant would have gotten it first and preserved his stock. That little trick gave mike the lead. You never know when the situation will rise where a trick like that will benefit you greatly so its always good to have these things in our pocket for when we need them.

V

Smash Ace
Buffering is simpy inputting something before your input actually can come out. You can input things in the last 5 frames of a move I think but I don't remember exactly.

Vs olimar

Olimar will be trying to wall you out with pikmin throw, fsmash, pivot grabs, and the occasional fair. If you're above them they'll try to uair or usmash. Olimars typically designate certain pikmin for different things. For instance, white are usually tossed or used for grabs, red and yellow for aerials and smashes, purple for usmash (watch out for this as this kills you very early) and uthrow, and blue for bthrow kills and everything else. You wanna approach olimar as safely as possible while swatting pikmin and keeping pressure on him. Your goal is to get him offstage. Dtilt, fair, and DB are good for this. You definitely need to tip your moves for optimal shield stun and knockback. Jab, dtilt, and db1 pokes are good up in his face. When olimar is offstage he will be looking for the soonest available point to upB safely. He'll abuse pikmin toss, uair and fair to give him breathing room. You'll need to make reads offstage to succesfully gimp olimar as its not as easy as you'd think. Pay attention to his pimin line and what he does with each one. Don't let him underneath you. When you're at kill % he'll try sliding shield > usmash oos with a purple so watch for that. Don't cp frigate. BF is good. Ban halberd? Not too sure on stages.

DellSmashman

Smash Cadet
Um thanks, and as for Fair planking, Olimar doesn't really have an answer, right? and as for stages, I would strike Lylat (if that's a legal neutral) because he plucks more purple and yellow pikmin there due to the metal mechanics. Frigate is a decent cp if you can get an early gimp, otherwise, you would be right. Ban halberd for obvious reasons and Delfino since he plucks more Blue pikmin (and Purple?). Other than those, I guess picking Marth's generally good stages are the way to go. Also just wanted to know, is it a good option to Dtilt Olimar's shield?

V

Smash Ace
If you tip the dtilt and follow with jab I don't think he has anything fast enough to beat that. If he starts to grab I'm pretty sure jab will hit him before the grab hitbox is out. Of course this is only if you tip the dtilt as an untipped dtilt won't have enough shield stun. Another note on stages, YI is really hard to approach olimar on. If you have a 5 starter list, I'd probably ban FD and YI. Lylat at least is a good marth stage and will help your juggles and edgeguarding. Against olimar you really need to win the neutral.

C.J.

Smash Master
If you tip the dtilt and follow with jab I don't think he has anything fast enough to beat that. If he starts to grab I'm pretty sure jab will hit him before the grab hitbox is out. Of course this is only if you tip the dtilt as an untipped dtilt won't have enough shield stun.
Uh, what?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=204825

Same shield stun, untippered is safer on shield.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Don't get hit by dair use upsmash oos if he is above u doing it, upb oos is **** in this mu specially when on the edge and against her jab which comes out wicked fast if he gets a mrsaturn don't hold ur shield just tap it so you don't get shieldbroken or perfect shield it stay away from platforms and don't be directly above her that upsmash of hers kills at like 80 if sweetspotted ftilt is also really good in this mu along with dtilt well spaced retreating nairs use counter if you know they are going to use upB under the stage for a possible stage spike I don't recommend using it too much tho

Nike.

Smash Hero
Peace, Upb out of shield against dair is not always good. Below 40% she still has enough time to punish your landing. Also, if she's directly above your shield it won't sweet spot. Upb OoS is still good when it connects at medium-high percent, though.

Tyler
  • Ftilt (and jab) beat all of Peach's approaching aerials besides fair. If she spams bair walls, ftilt it. If she spams float -> dair, you can ftilt it. Don't worry about nair, that will never be used as an approach because of it's bad range lol.
  • Marth's uair beats Peach's falling dair with good timing. This is a matchup where you can juggle. If you want to force her towards the edge of the stage, tipper bair will work wonders here. Peach has the worst air dodge in the game, so any of these aerials will frame trap if you throw a fair out after wards.
  • At 0%, fthrow -> nair works (Super amazing SDI behind Marth technically works, but no Peach has ever done that to me). After the nair, you can do a few punishes based on what she does. Uair/fair her right after landing from the nair (fair for pushing her off stage, uair for juggles obv. Whatever you'd rather do), pivot grab the air dodge if she's DI'ing it towards you (because she wants to stay away from the ledge), or run -> grab the air dodge if she DI's away from you. She CANNOT aerial you back after fthrow -> nair because your fair/uair will come out faster every time. This is bread and butter for linking together chains at low percents.
  • This part is a true 50/50 guessing game: If you shield Peach's fair, she'll usually shield or jab upon landing (her fair auto cancels obv, ends really fast). If she shields, you can shield grab her. If she jab's, you can upb out of shield. If you know what your opponent is going to do, run -> shield against her fair could be an option.

It really comes down to a) how you handle her turnip game and b) how you space and punish her really good fair. Those 2 factors alone really dictate the matchup.

There's so much other stuff about the matchup, but there's a few. Youtube Nike vs Illmatic (or Leon vs Yami). We've played alot of money matches lol. I still obv make alot of dumb mistakes, but I try to implement alot of this.

C.J.

Smash Master
Why is it, that's only the last hit of MK's nado consumes the stun jacket? I remember someone saying that when tested in frame advance, nado isn't SDIable because it has no hitlag frames (except the end and beginning or something like that). Mayhaps that would be why?

jbandrew

Smash Lord
i need advice vs diddy. I feel like i can't successfully poke his sheild cuz he can naner everything oos or nana my landing =/

V

Smash Ace
I'd say walk more than jump so there's no landing to punish. PS banana tosses and pay attention to his habits after glidetossing. If he's punishing you OoS then don't attack his shield. Be the one reacting instead of him. Diddy is more likely to be impatient than you so just wait for him to commit to approaches/banana tosses and punish accordingly.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
I'd say walk more than jump so there's no landing to punish. PS banana tosses and pay attention to his habits after glidetossing. If he's punishing you OoS then don't attack his shield. Be the one reacting instead of him. Diddy is more likely to be impatient than you so just wait for him to commit to approaches/banana tosses and punish accordingly.
sounds smart enough. thanks :)

PandaBear724

Smash Rookie
How do you get a little boost when you B-reverse? I normally just B-reverse by tapping back then pressing B and I stay still, but how do you go a little bit in either direction?

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
tap back AFTER pressing b, but it must be instantly.

also to get the boost, you need to have at least something of forward momentum

PEACE7

Smash Champion
How do you dash and then immediately fsmash or shield breaker in the opposite direction?
To do an fsmash the opposite way your gonna have to foxtrot and tap the direction you want once than cstick and to shieldbreak while dashing is really easy just do a normal breversal so dash press b and almost instantly tap the opposite direction while still holding b i might of explained it wrong not very good at explaining but hope i helped

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
which is stronger; d-smash or up smash?

and tipper d-smash vs. tipper f-smash?

C.J.

Smash Master
Damage-wise? usmash is marth's most damaging move (18-22% fresh depending on hitboxes that actually hit)

Then it's fully charged SB, followed by tipper fsmash

EDIT: Derp, usmash doing 18-22 is uncharged. Charged it does like 30 or something.

It made sense in my head...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
fully charged sb can hit for like... 27% lol.

Dsmash kills vertically earlier than usmash
feet hitbox dsmash kills horizontally earlier than non tipper fsmash.

tipper fsmash should pretty much always kill the earliest though (bar a dair off stage)

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Dont full tipper fsmash and full SB have the same knockback? Whichever one does more damage is your better bet, not that it makes a practical difference at that point

Akashi

Smash Lord
Dont full tipper fsmash and full SB have the same knockback? Whichever one does more damage is your better bet, not that it makes a practical difference at that point
Kind of arbitrary to discuss, tbh. The only time you'll land a fully charge SB or Fsmash is after a shield break, or if you get really lucky. SB is a cruise control KO, whereas you have to space the Fsmash, so most will opt for the former.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Fully charged tipper fsmash kills like 1% earlier... you never know :awesome:

C.J.

Smash Master
I don't see what FFing would have to do with... anything... but yes, fair makes pkthunder disappear.

Zulo

Smash Ace
Is fthrow/bthrow/grab release>foxtrot fsmash ever legit on anyone? Is it a viable option against MK after a grab release if he doesn't react fast enough?

Zulo

Smash Ace
I know that. But once they're at a higher percent and go farther, is foxtrot fsmash ever guaranteed, or is there a good chance of it hitting if they don't respond fast enough? Like in this when he does it without the pivot at 0:07.

Top Bottom