• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Wifi is a really good way to get better if I didn't have wifi.......My marth would be a lot worse than what it is now. Which is kind of sad LoL. But I don't understand the knock on match ups it's a good way to learn match ups and actually get experience when you can't make it to tourney you lag badly A your connection sucks B your opponent connection sucks C you're stealing internet from your neighbor or D your opponent is stealing connection from their neighbor. I think the lag john is a lot of BS although you can tell the difference because of the input lag however a couple of games you should be able to adjust.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Fsmash would work though he just jumps down and regrabs constantly, never runs out of invincibility on the edge. I'll have to try out dtilt though. It never even came to mind since it definately doesn't look like it would hit him from him just dropping down and jumping back up.

and as for waiting for him to stop stalling... yeah I've done alot of that... pisses me off, so much invinicibility time wasted...

thanks.
Well, invincibility time is better used to position yourself on the stage. You usually aren't gonna get a few free hits in anyways, your opponent isn't stupid. Dtilt can pressure the opponent to get on the stage, in which you can punish and reset. Marth pwns when the opponent is on the ledge IMO, you can just keep reflecting them and keep them on the ledge while getting easy hits in.

Also, I RAGE at laggy wifi, but wifi with a great connection is almost like IRL.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
hey steel can you come to ga over the summer? i wanna donate a few $$$ when you make money at tourney

plus i wanna show u meh moves

we can talk about 2d girls all day 2

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
wifi is really good unless its lagging, a good convenient way to get better.
Even with green you're gonna get some latency. It's great for throwing off extremely precise characters like marth.

Yes it does.
It's an obstacle that you will eventually encounter and playing CPUs is NOT going to give you the experience for that.

And I was talking about if you don't have regular access to tourneys.
The major issue with wifi is that even if it's green you'll get some input latency (basically time between when you make an input and your character reacts to it).

This makes moves that normally would not be safe off-line safe, ruins a number of set-ups and creates combos that shouldn't be there because your opponent can't react fast enough.

Sure, it helps train mindgames, but warps your perception of what's safe in the game, and especially throws off your timing for punishing characters (like Marth), in addition to making moves that you would normally be able to punish nearly unpunishable.

I don't get access to tournaments that much, so my trick was to find people to play with on a regular basis, and I'm mainly a melee player so you've got it easier. Early on, wifi's better then nothing, but I really advise you to connect with your local brawl community if you're serious, there's gotta be somebody nearby that you could play on a regular basis.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
So overall wifi is good if you don't have people to play, but don't get too used to it or you'll end up damaging your IRL play.
Exactly, pretty much best one-line summery of wifi around.

Unless you live in Japan... **** Japan and their far better internet services.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Exactly, pretty much best one-line summery of wifi around.

Unless you live in Japan... **** Japan and their far better internet services.
Korea too, but they use it for their Starcraft and MMO addiction more than a silly party game (that they don't have).

Really as I've said before, blame it on the ISP providers that know they can charge a premium for inferior Internet service compared to other countries as no competition currently offers the speed of JP and KOR Internet at the same price.

A premium plan of AT&T ADSL for ~$40 is basically standard service over there, albeit cheaper due to that as well.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
I'm horrible at Marth dittos. The only way I can really win is if I watch the opponent carefully and predict everything.
HOW 2 MARF DITTO?
(No. Don't tell me to go to the match-up thread because that didn't help much.)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'm horrible at Marth dittos. The only way I can really win is if I watch the opponent carefully and predict everything.
HOW 2 MARF DITTO?
(No. Don't tell me to go to the match-up thread because that didn't help much.)
Swing your sword?

Just kidding I think it's really skill dependent the better player will win. If you guys are even it will depend on who makes more mistakes. You should always watch your opponent carefully whether it's a Marth ditto or not. Once you read your opponent you can pick up on some his moves does he SH fair alot ? If he does full hop fair FF nair dtilt works amazing. Don't let your opponent get the momentum if you can. I will just say try to be unpredictable read your opponent mix in full hops and out play them.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
Swing your sword?

Just kidding I think it's really skill dependent the better player will win. If you guys are even it will depend on who makes more mistakes. You should always watch your opponent carefully whether it's a Marth ditto or not. Once you read your opponent you can pick up on some his moves does he SH fair alot ? If he does full hop fair FF nair dtilt works amazing. Don't let your opponent get the momentum if you can. I will just say try to be unpredictable read your opponent mix in full hops and out play them.
lol swing your sword.

Like, I can barely beat this guy's Samus, but for some reason I get ***** by his Marth. HE DOESN'T EVEN USE MARTH. Makes my self-esteem plummet lol. I know his patterns pretty well. He does retreating fairs to spaced fsmashes and crossover to spaced fsmashes. I see stuff coming but I can't punish it and he just goes on eating away at my shield.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
lol swing your sword.

Like, I can barely beat this guy's Samus, but for some reason I get ***** by his Marth. HE DOESN'T EVEN USE MARTH. Makes my self-esteem plummet lol. I know his patterns pretty well. He does retreating fairs to spaced fsmashes and crossover to spaced fsmashes. I see stuff coming but I can't punish it and he just goes on eating away at my shield.
How can you not punish fsmashes that you see coming? Definitely full hop sometimes and I think you need to play less aggressive I'm not sure how you're playing but you should be getting hit by fsmashes like that nor should you not be able to punish them.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
How can you not punish fsmashes that you see coming? Definitely full hop sometimes and I think you need to play less aggressive I'm not sure how you're playing but you should be getting hit by fsmashes like that nor should you not be able to punish them.
I shield them while he runs away from retaliation. It's a pain in the tush.
Keep in mind this is stupid wifi and I suck anyways.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Shield the dash to DB ? IDK you should still be able to punish him. Or you can stay out of his tipper range and do a tipper fsmash of your own.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with Olimar.

Is my d tilt useful? Should i be sticking to c-stick well spaced fairs? I can space fairs pretty well but i find if i do an advancing SH fair to retreating fair oli just shields my first hit....runs under me and then u smashes or does some other bull.

Does my grab release trick work on olimar like it does for MK, Lucas, and Ness? That would be 10X helpful. lol

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with Olimar.

Is my d tilt useful? Should i be sticking to c-stick well spaced fairs? I can space fairs pretty well but i find if i do an advancing SH fair to retreating fair oli just shields my first hit....runs under me and then u smashes or does some other bull.

Does my grab release trick work on olimar like it does for MK, Lucas, and Ness? That would be 10X helpful. lol
I hate fighting olimars his range makes no sense.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Online?

Pretty much illustrates the problem with online if so.

F-smash has a ton of lag, you should be able to punish it with a ton of tactics, dancing blade is most common.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I seriously think/hope that was a joke post. But yes a fresh Bair is great for killing and at low %s combos into fair and is good for edgeguarding.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I use bair simply cause it turns you around and has a hitbox at the same time. Plus its usually fresh. A tipped bair hits 45 degrees occasionally and can ko pretty easily.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I love this little trick for a kill (u got ZMT with it even though he returns the favor 3x as hard): Jump --> Turnaround DB1 Stall --> Fresh Tipper Bair

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Double bair?

Im pretty sure its impossible to double bair towards the same direction since it turns you around.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Ohhh...

Even so, double fairs really beat that out because they are faster and lead into other moves. Bair wont lead into other moves at all.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I need to know everything I can about the Spike (Dair in someone is an idiot).

I need to know what sets it up the best. How to space and spike on a foe that is recovering below the ledge.. and agove the ledge to would be nice.

Also... is Sword Dance a spike?

Oh and BTW.... what sets up the Ken Combo the best?

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I need to know everything I can about the Spike (Dair in someone is an idiot).

I need to know what sets it up the best. How to space and spike on a foe that is recovering below the ledge.. and agove the ledge to would be nice.

Also... is Sword Dance a spike?

Oh and BTW.... what sets up the Ken Combo the best?
The best thing to know about spiking is don't do it. If you must, though, it helps to turn around.

The third hit down variant pseudo-spikes

And THE ****ING KEN COMBO DOESN'T EXIST IN BRAWL OMFG;ljadshdfaslkhewaokhefawiuogkehwbiofugewbkjiulbqfrekufbulb

/knife

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
The best thing to know about spiking is don't do it. If you must, though, it helps to turn around.

The third hit down variant pseudo-spikes

And THE ****ING KEN COMBO DOESN'T EXIST IN BRAWL OMFG;ljadshdfaslkhewaokhefawiuogkehwbiofugewbkjiulbqfrekufbulb

/knife
I still like spiking. -_- Owell... *sigh*

Figured SD had a spike (Roy combo vid).

SETTLE DOWN SETTLE DOWN!!!!!!!! O_O It exists as a string.

Top Bottom