• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Its slower at 100% and slightly stronger.

But both of the can be shielded, grabbed, thrown back off.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I'm looking to pick up Marth and I essentially have two questions:

One, if I aim to learn Marth's abilities solely for counterpick against Pikachu, Wario, Sonic, Olimar, and Jigglypuff (i.e. strongly advantaged matchups that I just don't want to deal with), how should I conduct my practice and my research around here?
I mean, I ask because it seems to go as a given that Marth users are Marth mains, or secondaries; he's said to be a solo viable character so I don't see talk about him on counterpick. The question is really "Do you think a player will be his best if he just learns Marth in toto, or can he just learn his game against this handful?" It seems that either one could be best for my desired outcome.

Two, once I start using him. . .will I end up third-maining Marth regardless? ; )

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!

One, if I aim to learn Marth's abilities solely for counterpick against Pikachu, Wario, Sonic, Olimar, and Jigglypuff (i.e. strongly advantaged matchups that I just don't want to deal with), how should I conduct my practice and my research around here?
I mean, I ask because it seems to go as a given that Marth users are Marth mains, or secondaries; he's said to be a solo viable character so I don't see talk about him on counterpick. The question is really "Do you think a player will be his best if he just learns Marth in toto, or can he just learn his game against this handful?" It seems that either one could be best for my desired outcome.

Two, once I start using him. . .will I end up third-maining Marth regardless? ; )
Read up on some beginner strategies, get a feel for Marth's movements and attacks, then go practice. You should definitely check out the match-up guides for those specific characters so you have a more definite goal to work on. And like any character, you can just learn for a specific reason.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Read up on some beginner strategies, get a feel for Marth's movements and attacks, then go practice. You should definitely check out the match-up guides for those specific characters so you have a more definite goal to work on. And like any character, you can just learn for a specific reason.

All those match ups say is swing your sword 70-30 Marth more range and speed doesn't give too much insight.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord

So are you saying marth is going to be below your ganon? Lol! U can do what u want but u just made my day with that one. :laugh: The wario matchup is still kind of annoying though tbqh no matter who u main tho. As u said, marth does fly solo just fine if you so choose that route, but u have to learn more individual character matchups and learn how to deal with them.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hey guys! I Figured out the Snake matchup so it's in our favour!

JUST SWING YOUR SWORD.

Now before you ask me how to swing your sword (it's a super advanced technique); don't worry, Steel is going to make a topic about it soon!!!

Oh, but honestly, swinging your sword means MAKING A WALL that is not easy to get past through your many sword swinging techniques. i.e. fair. and dtilt
and to a less extent jab.

Many of the matchup discussions seem to cover more about handling the other character's possible aggressive state, so just become better at swinging Marth's sword in an aggressive manor and you can completely ignore the advice Steel gives you.

By the way, back in the day, swinging your sword was also known as spacing.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
How much spoon feeding do you want?
None, it just seems that the Marth match-ups were rushed and hurried and the conclusion of about 98% of them is marth has a sword marth owns therefore marth wins. A lot of the other characters boards go more in depth than that.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
None, it just seems that the Marth match-ups were rushed and hurried and the conclusion of about 98% of them is marth has a sword marth owns therefore marth wins. A lot of the other characters boards go more in depth than that.
Figure it out. We have guides on what that means and how in depth "swinging your sword" is.

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice
If you actually legitimately read the match-up guides, you would understand just how silly you're sounding right now. I fail to see how "swinging your sword" will help you in a match against anyone who out ranges/prioritizes/camps you. Try swinging against a Falco, Snake, Metaknight, D3, even Toon Link, and just see how far that gets you.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
it's the grab part of it that gets me.
I can shield side B fine.
I'm not sure if it's just bad spacing on my part or what.
if you're getting grabbed by that alone then its a problem with your spacing, if hes grabbing you with that out of his jab "combo" then you can up b out of it before it gets to the side b part, really side-b isnt that much of a bother against lucario, its more like his fsmash and aura sphere are the major threats if any threat at all. Lucario is pretty simple, work on your spacing and learn how to predict lucy and how he moves. (rolling habits, instances in which they shoot aura spheres, how they go about with their setups to kill etc.)

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
if you're getting grabbed by that alone then its a problem with your spacing, if hes grabbing you with that out of his jab "combo" then you can up b out of it before it gets to the side b part, really side-b isnt that much of a bother against lucario, its more like his fsmash and aura sphere are the major threats if any threat at all. Lucario is pretty simple, work on your spacing and learn how to predict lucy and how he moves. (rolling habits, instances in which they shoot aura spheres, how they go about with their setups to kill etc.)
I've never used lucario before so I don't really understand his range for anything, so I get jabbed a lot.
Yeah, this is partly because my spacing isn't as good as it could be/

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
Like i said you can up b out his jab, not much he can do about it except toss a jab and shield trying to bait a DS.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Oh, I should have said, I do have familiarity with Marth's physics. I can space a mean Fsmash. I am particularly fond of tipping uairs from above my opponent.
It's just his whole meta of pressure and weaving and frame traps... it'll be quite the study.

So, okay, I can just learn the matchups I want. That's what I was looking for.

So are you saying marth is going to be below your ganon? Lol! U can do what u want but u just made my day with that one. :laugh:
D,:

Yttuty

Smash Apprentice
Thanks.
It's weird, the only character I have trouble spacing against is lucario.
I need to practice more.
When I'm playing vs a friend that uses lucario, I always try to shfairs when I'm near him, and if he makes a mistake I always punish with DB

and as xisin said, try making DS OoS while he is doing his jab "combo", be aware that he can stop the jab combo and wait for you to make your DS to then, punish you...

so be smart

maybe a simple solution is trying not to be near him

I hope that this helped you :]

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
When I'm playing vs a friend that uses lucario, I always try to shfairs when I'm near him, and if he makes a mistake I always punish with DB

and as xisin said, try making DS OoS while he is doing his jab "combo", be aware that he can stop the jab combo and wait for you to make your DS to then, punish you...

so be smart

Gah I suck lol.
Thanks for the info, I'll see if it helps.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

so be smart

Isn't lucario fsmash > shfair? I could be mistaken though.

Seiya7

Smash Apprentice
k so quick question for Marth mains,

in tourney play, would y'all rather not face a good pit or a good diddy?

i think both matches are 60:40 marths favor but id just like to get some opinions

or in other words which would be an easier match to win for Marth?

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice
Really, I can't stand diddy. Not that it matters because clever stage picking can heavily tilt the match in our favour.

Top Bottom