• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
I haven't ever played any good players.
EVER.

So I play lvl.9 computers.
Yes, it's not at all the same as playing a human... but at least my reflexes and spacing won't deteriorate.
Sometimes I play lvl.8 computers, but I haven't spotted too much of a difference except that lvl.8's mess up more.

KRiMz0N

Smash Journeyman
my feet are draggin down on this dusty old road
find someone around you with the player finder

also, people say 7s are better because they don't have inhuman reflexes and they have better recovery. from my experience they edgeguard a lot too.

but this is sort of off-topic

hey guys look, shield breaker

KRiMz0N

Smash Journeyman
Tell that to the AiB top ladder players who play online all the time AND still place high in IRL tournaments
they readjust themselves to lagless game before tournaments, and tournaments are all about friendlies as much as the matches themselves, so they have plenty of time to

and anyway i have no idea what the hell aib ladder is all about so i'm not sure of your statement in the first place

TreK

Is "that guy"
meh, if like me tournyes are far, you basically have the choice between :
wifi play : will screw your spacing, will make you learn wrong combos, but will train your matchups.
cpu play : will train bad habits and make you predictable, but will train your reflexes.

Of course, if you're lucky enough to play offline regularly, don't bother xD
I chose to not play cpus, cus i did in melee... And i fail at melee ^_^

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
^ what he said. though tourneys aside, i live at a university and i don't believe there are not a ton of brawlers here, i just can't find em

Albert.

Smash Master
they readjust themselves to lagless game before tournaments, and tournaments are all about friendlies as much as the matches themselves, so they have plenty of time to

and anyway i have no idea what the hell aib ladder is all about so i'm not sure of your statement in the first place

AiB is one of the other main Smash sites on the web and they have a competitive ladder and the top people there (Ally HolyNightmare, ADHD etc) all do well in offline tournaments

^ what he said. though tourneys aside, i live at a university and i don't believe there are not a ton of brawlers here, i just can't find em

Double negative says Hi

Kishin

Smash Ace
How do you play on Jungle Japes? I just played it for the first time with someone and I didn't know how to play. It was against a Peach and I killed myself twice from the waters. The waters also seem to have the gale boomerang effect that pushes you away because that's one of the reasons how I died.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
How do you play on Jungle Japes? I just played it for the first time with someone and I didn't know how to play. It was against a Peach and I killed myself twice from the waters. The waters also seem to have the gale boomerang effect that pushes you away because that's one of the reasons how I died.
Don't get wet.

Lol the waters can actually be a good asset to Marth. If you can time his Dair when u and ur foe are crossing over the gap, they're as good as done ^_^

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
you don't play it.

KRiMz0N

Smash Journeyman
AiB is one of the other main Smash sites on the web and they have a competitive ladder and the top people there (Ally HolyNightmare, ADHD etc) all do well in offline tournaments
well i know what it is but i don't care enough about it to, well, care enough about it

my first jjapes match was against peachkid. that ******* chose the stage since marf sux at it and peach is osm at it so he ***** me then screamed **** yeah you suck crimson i'm awesome you stupid ****** **** you etc.
then he kicked me out of the venue

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
well i know what it is but i don't care enough about it to, well, care enough about it

my first jjapes match was against peachkid. that ******* chose the stage since marf sux at it and peach is osm at it so he ***** me then screamed **** yeah you suck crimson i'm awesome you stupid ****** **** you etc.
then he kicked me out of the venue
<3 u krimzon XD

Kishin

Smash Ace
Is there perhaps a strategy Marth could use to play on Japes? I've never played it before so I experimented a bit and tried hogging the ledges and attacking around with B-air and getting back on the ledge and such.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Is there perhaps a strategy Marth could use to play on Japes? I've never played it before so I experimented a bit and tried hogging the ledges and attacking around with B-air and getting back on the ledge and such.
Don't play on japes....

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
use it against characters who have no way to kill horizontally?

i don't like it very much because the water is blech and marth's safest recovery option is usually from low to the edge, and thats just not very feasible on japes.

Kishin

Smash Ace
I asked if there was a proper strategy for the stage, not if I should play on it or not. It's been declared that Jungle Japes is not a good stage for Marth already. If you were to play on Japes what would you do? Camp? Play defensively? Specific strategies?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I asked if there was a proper strategy for the stage, not if I should play on it or not. It's been declared that Jungle Japes is not a good stage for Marth already. If you were to play on Japes what would you do? Camp? Play defensively? Specific strategies?
Whenever I play on japes I end up the same way you did. You can't camp against someone with lasers. So i think your best bet would be to fight on the middle plat form. Don't do anything risky and pray that you don't touch that water. I wouldn't even try to edge guard or edge hog that could easily lead to your death. There's really no reason for you to ever go to one of those little platforms. Any situation I can think of doesn't seem good for marth. Also you can throw your Wii out the window or you can throw your opponent out the window for picking such a gay stage.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
right falco is worse on this stage so just edgeguard like a ****** and hope they mess up. be defensive, and go for a lot of footstools
I hope to god that you are one of the following:

1. Truly an idiot
2. A troll
3. Being sarcastic and/or kidding

I'm sorry - Japes is possible Falco's best stage.

footstools aren't that easy or common
Marth.. defensive... against someone with a projectile?
You always want to help that they'll mess up

Edgeguard?... you always want to edgeguard...

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I hope to god that you are one of the following:

1. Truly an idiot
2. A troll
3. Being sarcastic and/or kidding

I'm sorry - Japes is possible Falco's best stage.

footstools aren't that easy or common
Marth.. defensive... against someone with a projectile?
You always want to help that they'll mess up

Edgeguard?... you always want to edgeguard...
When did you become a mod? :D

Also, everyone should read This news story

SuSa

When did you become a mod? :D

Also, everyone should read This news story
A few days ago (2 I believe. lol)

Lol that's a dumb story, punching someone because she bit your tongue.
Also, i don't know if Falco is better on japes, or on FD.
Japes - Water = spike is more deadly
Ledges - side-B is great for getting around
High top - fastfaller; its hard to kill him off the top...
His main killing moves (bair/fsmash) kill just as early as FD

He's much better on Japes then FD IMHO

Villi

Smash Lord
As long as you aren't spamming double jump as soon as you hit the water, I don't see why falling in sometimes is a big deal. Time a full hop fair out of the water to cancel some momentum. If you do this while you're under the center platform, doing an aerial will also prevent you from bumping your head when you jump. Then time a double jump and up b and you should be able to safely recover more often than not.

SuSa

1. Because the water can kill you if you're on the left side, especially Marth

2. Almost certain fair doesn't really cancel any momentum

3. Bumping your head? You'll just get caught, an aerial won't prevent that either

4. Depends where you are in the water.

SuSa

explain buffering good people.
Input the action a few frames early, gets placed into "the buffer list"

You can buffer multiple things.

It negates human input lag, the only lag left is "animation" lag (the lag of the actual move)

A good example to see what buffering is, is to buffer a dash:

Shorthop
Right before you land, tap left/right as if you were going to dash
You land
You dash

Villi

Smash Lord
1. Because the water can kill you if you're on the left side, especially Marth

2. Almost certain fair doesn't really cancel any momentum

3. Bumping your head? You'll just get caught, an aerial won't prevent that either

4. Depends where you are in the water.

Yeah... spend 5 minutes figuring it out on the actual stage.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I think the easiest way to see a buffer in action is to do Falcos SHL and tap forward right before you're about to hit the ground. It's a common strategy for Falco players and gives you an idea of what it should look like, how it is executed, and why it can be so useful.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
It's easiest to do an airdodge and tap forward at the moment you would L-cancel in Melee.
About Japes, i always ban it on AiB ladder matches. I don't know why that **** stage is allowed online, it really screws you over.

Just wondering. With pika's CGs and how they work, everyone seems to be thinking of all the applications that could be applied with staleness of moves at certain percentages. Could Marth's: Fair (not tipped or maybe tipped)> 2nd jump > dair tipped be applied with staleness of the Fair and correct hitstun at certain percentages and actually be considered a real combo?

Sk8TR

Smash Rookie
Ok
i have some questions obivously.
I was just wondering what good combos marth players can do in order to damage rack quickly. I know aobut the down thorw to f smash. but is fair to dtilt good?
and other things i should know about?

Top Bottom