• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else have trouble getting all four hits of the DB to come out? It's only really noticeable for me when I try to do the all-down green combo. I can usually get off the first three whacks, but I'm only about 50% accurate on getting the stabbing part to go. Is the timing on this one subtly different?

I've also noticed that CPs tend to grab, powershield, or hit me partway through the combo. Am I not executing it fast enough, or is this just one of those stupid superhuman abilities these guys have to make up for their dimwitted predictability?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Anyone else have trouble getting all four hits of the DB to come out? It's only really noticeable for me when I try to do the all-down green combo. I can usually get off the first three whacks, but I'm only about 50% accurate on getting the stabbing part to go. Is the timing on this one subtly different?

I've also noticed that CPs tend to grab, powershield, or hit me partway through the combo. Am I not executing it fast enough, or is this just one of those stupid superhuman abilities these guys have to make up for their dimwitted predictability?
I'm pretty sure the timing is the same for all of them. It'll come with experience, just work on it.

And no, the CPU will not be able to do anything about your DB unless you aren't moving fast enough. Again, experience will fix this.

Coda

Smash Cadet
so... this isn't particular to Marth... but...

what's this thing about Wario and the ledge? Or something?

Is it something like Snake's Cypher grabbing?

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
I haven't actually seen much ego here. O.o This and the TL forum are both really great.

Falco and ROB...not so much.

But yeah, Marth is really hard to play. I was still a newb in my Melee days, and he always amazed me when handled with skill, because I couldn't do jack **** with him. Now that I'm taking my game more seriously, I'm eager for the challenge.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
so... this isn't particular to Marth... but...

what's this thing about Wario and the ledge? Or something?

Is it something like Snake's Cypher grabbing?
If you grab Wario near the edge or off this new "grab off the edge" tactic you get a free fmash or dair, iirc, if you air release. You can do much of this on the stage, too, but you have to stutter step the fsmash.

@Cloud: Lol our egos are huge over here, And Falco and ROB do take skill, just watch good ones like SK92's Falco and NinjaLink's ROB. They do more than camp and all around really cool ****.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Welcome to the ego trip that is the Marth boards. Our character>>>everyone elses just cause he's the hardest to play.
Ice Climbers are kinda hard too imo. But yeah, when I win with Marth it feels a lot better then if I win with Falco, Snake, or MK. Although I find nothing wrong with 2 of those characters.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
i'm Actually Not That Impressed By Nl's Rob. Guess I Haven't Watched Enough Of It. Or Could Be That I Play Diddy And Just Love His Diddy Too Much To Want To Watch Him Play Anything Else..

Not Much Impresses Me More Than Sk92's Falco. It Is Beast. For Anyone Who Hasn't Seen It, check His Favorites On His Youtube Channel. He Is Nuts.
He Is Beast

Ken vs sk92 was so close!

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
He Is Beast

Ken vs sk92 was so close!
IMO, SK92 is a better Falco than Ken is Marth, and that was months ago. SK92 is better now. I mean, back then people still thought Sethlon was better iirc and now everyone is saying they're either tied in skill or SK92 is better.

Also, maybe you have to play against or watch NL's ROB in person. I got him round one of a tournament like two months ago and he used ROB against me. Mad skills.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Alright, seeing as this is the quick question topic: What should a new Marth secondary focus on besides spacing? Seeing that I main Ike, I have that aspect down fairly well and just need to move in slightly closer then normal for spacing Fairs and the like.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Lear to pressure shields with Dtilt, well-spaced Fairs, and sometimes well-spaced Nairs. Also learn to juggle opponents, I won't go into this, but in a few days you'll be able to read all you want about juggling each and every character.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Lear to pressure shields with Dtilt, well-spaced Fairs, and sometimes well-spaced Nairs. Also learn to juggle opponents, I won't go into this, but in a few days you'll be able to read all you want about juggling each and every character.
Ya, I already love the Dtilt. It's nice to have a quick attack out of landing with more range then Ike's jab. :laugh: Juggling is something I will have to work on though; Ike doesn't do much of that...

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
First of all, would Marth typically be easier to handle defensively or offensively as the player? Second, when trying to tip, is the tip clearly visible on the screen? I have marths defense down for the level I am at, and I am currently working out my spacing issues. These questions coincide because I am unsure about the absolute spacing for tipped hits, and sometimes i feel that it shouldve tipped but I was too close.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
First of all, would Marth typically be easier to handle defensively or offensively as the player? Second, when trying to tip, is the tip clearly visible on the screen? I have marths defense down for the level I am at, and I am currently working out my spacing issues. These questions coincide because I am unsure about the absolute spacing for tipped hits, and sometimes i feel that it shouldve tipped but I was too close.
Marth cannot be played simply either way. I suggest you start with Defensive marth, though, because it's better in most situations. Keep the opponent out with Retreating/FF Fairs and dtilt, Dancing Blade to punish everything, basically just look around the boards if you wanna know more :p

To answer your second question, I didn't learn to tip from watching his sword, I just know where it is from playing so much. Just keep practicing and it'll be permanently stored in your memory. I can not play Marth for days now, go back, and still tip almost every time :p

UWOcho

Smash Apprentice
Ya, I already love the Dtilt. It's nice to have a quick attack out of landing with more range then Ike's jab. :laugh: Juggling is something I will have to work on though; Ike doesn't do much of that...
If you didn't know, the dtilt has iasa frames, making it extremely easy to transition into other moves. For example. if you dtilt and your opponent sh's to try to aerial you, you can abuse the iasa frames on your dtilt to get out an early ftilt, utilt, or jab. I believe you can only use other 'a' moves during iasa frames. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

Juggling with Marth is very important. Look for the juggling guide Sunday-Wednesday.
Preview of the guide as I see it:

Juggling Basics and Advanced Technhiques as Marth:
Basics:
-uair, usmash and utilt!
Advanced:
-shff uair! (its so good you don't even need usmash and utilt!)
Thanks for reading my guide

lols

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Is using counter to punish predictableness from an opponent better than to use a attack out of shield? Also, is it a good option to use if someone is using an aerial on you to gimp?

UWOcho

Smash Apprentice
If he's very predicable, use counter whenever you feel like it. But don't use it too much or else you'll become predictable.
Using counter while recoering is not such a good idea. You could use a fair instead which is usually more effective. If fair won't work, and using counter won't gimp yourself, go ahead and use it. Just not that it will kill your momentum.

---
Also, grats 3x on 1000 posts

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Is using counter to punish predictableness from an opponent better than to use a attack out of shield? Also, is it a good option to use if someone is using an aerial on you to gimp?
Well it would depend what that predictable attribute is. If he's rolling a lot, call him on them and punish with Dancing Blade or even Dsmash if your reaction time is bad. Counter can be used on some attacks, but you shouldn't rely on it, no matter how predictable they are. You can go for spotdodge when you see it coming or just shield and use something like DB OoS, or DS when they hit the shield.

You can also use counter off the stage in very specific instances. For instance, my friend mains DK and likes to gimp me with bairs off the stage so occasionally I'll throw counter out there to scare him. In most instances it's best to use fair and try to recover low, however, if they're harassing you off the stage. Ledgedrop counter is also useful in some instances.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
If you didn't know, the dtilt has iasa frames, making it extremely easy to transition into other moves. For example. if you dtilt and your opponent sh's to try to aerial you, you can abuse the iasa frames on your dtilt to get out an early ftilt, utilt, or jab. I believe you can only use other 'a' moves during iasa frames. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.
Seeing how much I abuse Ike's iasa frames on all of his aerials, his fsmash, and his usmash (which has around 20 iasa frames), I made sure to find out what attacks have iasa frames on them. I just need to stop using Dair; I'm too used to having a dair with good iasa frames so I don't get punished for using it....

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Hey guys.
Just wanted to get something straight, because I heard things here and there - if you ledgehop fair through the stage (IE not jumping back onto the stage with fair) before invinc frames run out, to poke at a pesky edge camper, do you retain the invincibility during that ledgehop?

Thanks

Top Bottom