• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

MDJA109

Smash Cadet
So I just got back into brawl and although I hate it, I've been playing wi-fi for matchup experience. If snake spot dodges DB1 can he powershield DB2? I've been getting punished a lot for it on wi-fi, and looking at the frame data it doesn't seem like it unless I'm doing it too slow from button delay or something.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
If he spotdodges early and you Dancing Blade the very end of his invincibility, I guess he could powershield/normal shield the next hit...

MDJA109

Smash Cadet
Good point, didn't think about the obvious hahaha. In the end, wi-fi fails. Thanks!

Otherwise, it's impossible right? It was happening a good amount and the wifi warrior said it always works for him against all marths lol.

HaiWayne

Smash Cadet
there was a guide for marth that was stickied here, i cant find it anymore, its not in the list of guides. anyone know where it is?

Fatalzyntax

Smash Apprentice
How do I handle planking Pits?
Stay too far and your eating arrows, or your shield is anyway since you can't possibly PS everything.
Get too close and your getting a uair through the stage, with a good chance of shield poking.

I saw a Marth fair a Pit trying to ledge hop->arrow->ledge grab but that doesn't seem like a reliable option considering the timing spacing required + the number of mixups Pit can pull out. I imagine an offstage fight is out of the questions considering his recovery and his ability to go under many stages.

SeekHeart

Smash Apprentice
why does it that when I do DB sometimes it would stop before the fourth or even third hit?

C.J.

Smash Master
How do I handle planking Pits?
Stay too far and your eating arrows, or your shield is anyway since you can't possibly PS everything.
Get too close and your getting a uair through the stage, with a good chance of shield poking.

I saw a Marth fair a Pit trying to ledge hop->arrow->ledge grab but that doesn't seem like a reliable option considering the timing spacing required + the number of mixups Pit can pull out. I imagine an offstage fight is out of the questions considering his recovery and his ability to go under many stages.
You definitely can PS Pit's arrows.. they're slow and when he's planking they're going in a straight line.

why does it that when I do DB sometimes it would stop before the fourth or even third hit?
You're hitting it too fast/slow. You want to go in a rhythm, not mash them.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
i got quite a general question....

How does one get better at spacing with any given character? It seems like somethings thats hard to train persay...and sometimes that the biggest difference between a great and an amazing player. Or is it something that can simply come with experience....

Aimed people: Pierce7d leon mikeHAZE Kadaj Neo.....yaaaaa

Two-Ell

Smash Master
I encountered a strange phenomenon I just wanted to ask you guys about. I wanted to see if it was just one of the quircks the character(Marth) happens to have.

Basically what happened was during a recovery on Battlefield I UpB'd from a certain height below the ledge. I didn't autosnap to the ledge but went slightly above it. Just as Marth was about to enter helpless stage he did another UpB(I was probably hitting B an extra time. This was a green connection WiFi friendly.)

The UpB's happened in pretty quick succession. I didn't want to make a random thread about this since I'm sure every character board is tired of random people making threads of 'techs' and glitches the board has long since known about. I'm asking you guys about this out my curiosity as a smash researcher.

So is this something you guys have seen before? I have a replay I can put up if need be. I haven't been able to replicate it yet though.

:rosalina:

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
We've seen it before. If you up-b from a very specific point you won't grab the ledge or enter freefall, and you'll regain a used double jump/can fair/whatever. It's more commonly known for Wolf though, I believe...

C.J.

Smash Master
i got quite a general question....

How does one get better at spacing with any given character? It seems like somethings thats hard to train persay...and sometimes that the biggest difference between a great and an amazing player. Or is it something that can simply come with experience....

Aimed people: Pierce7d leon mikeHAZE Kadaj Neo.....yaaaaa
Training mode, hit them with your attacks with them on "stand." Do it while approaching or retreating. Once you are always hitting with the very max range of your attack, change them to walk. Do it again. Once you are always hitting with the max range of your attacks, put them on run or attack or whatever else.

Make it be level 3 computer.

From then on, if you want to practice spacing, go to vs mode, play vs a level 3 computer. Focus on ONLY hitting with the max range of the attacks. Don't abuse the CPU's ******** habits and don't worry about winning or losing. Just focus on spacing.

Fatalzyntax

Smash Apprentice
You definitely can PS Pit's arrows.. they're slow and when he's planking they're going in a straight line.
I can't let him do that forever though, he usually does it while he has stock/percent advantage and I don't want him timing me out.

So what I should have asked is, how do I get him off the ledge?
(Tourney without the 25 ledge grab rule)

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Hmm sorry for the unrelated question. C.J. do you go to tournies in FL? I don't think I've seen ya around before. D:

I usually know all the players in this state lol.

:rosalina:

Player-3

Smash Hero
if hes planking you... just jump on a platform and roll around when he jumps to shoot an arrow

(smirk)

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
So i was in training mode doing random stuff, and among them i tried Uair>footstool with marth (couldn't determine whether it was true/untrue, needed to buffer the jump etc) Then footstool>dair. really lulzy.

useless in 1v1, useful in teams? dunno.

still lulzy

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Stop mashing. Unless your controller is broken. Then mash harder.

MDJA109

Smash Cadet
How do you perform a platform cancelled grab? It always immediately shields, I noticed however if I tilt down slightly it performs it but I just wanted to confirm if that's the sure way. And how do you perform a platform cancel-->immediate drop, sorry for the non-marth related questions, I can't seem to find that comprehensive AT list anywhere.

etecoon

Smash Hero
you're probably buffering the grab too early, same thing happens with other characters if you try to jab cancel grab and mistime it

Mr-R

Smash Champion
lmao i love all these questions bout platform canceling lately xD
remember when it didnt exist LOL and ppl called it useless

MDJA109

Smash Cadet
lmao i love all these questions bout platform canceling lately xD
remember when it didnt exist LOL and ppl called it useless
Actually Mr-R I was watching some of your videos and saw your crazy applications with it and eventually lead me to asking that question haha! And alright I'll try that out but how do I platform cancel to an immediate drop?

Mr-R

Smash Champion
u jump slightly above the platform and instead of dairing u hold down the control stick and press shield at the same time, its called a platform drop

Mr-R

Smash Champion
lol no

marth vs snake is actually not that bad for marth, infact alot of people lately have been thinkings its 55-45 marth and i agree
i've always thought marth won the matchup even before mike beat ally but back then ppl didnt believe me haha

C.J.

Smash Master
No he means who has an easier time beating MK, Snake or Marth. And the answer is Snake, he has the best matchup against MK.
You're nuts, MK ***** Snake
MK's "worst" MUs are definitely Diddy, Falco, maybe Olimar. I think Marth does better than Snake vs MK.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Several responses....idk what to take from this lol...what do you think Mr.r considering you get to fight kaos quite a bit, Kadaj, Neo, Pierce, Leon? Kinda curious wanna know other opinions so i can make a certain choice about something. Personally think marth can do really well but due to his susceptability to gimps...at high level play it would suck to lose a set cuz a sub-par recovery. But he can stop tornado so easily, has grab releases on mk which is free dmg, and can juggle mk efficiently and outranges and in some cases outprioritizes mk.

On the other hand snake has...His fat *** so wont die as early, Grenades, and tilts. Simple but effective. so what do u top marths think?

Mikehaze?

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Snake does better against Meta than Marth does definatly. But i dont think its that much of a difference tbh.

Top Bottom