• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
1. mikehaze v snake.

he was grab releasing snake? (air releasing) why?

2. opponent -7 frame advantage if opponent shields your dtilt. what if they power shield? does that mean they can punish with anything?

cheers
always add ten frames to that for reaction time

add like 6 if their brain can physically process and act sooner.
10+-7= 3 frames our favor
then factor its another 4 for f tilt
we are already at 7 frames and ditlt outranges the first hit of F tilt,
technically if you buffer Dtilt they shouldn't be able to hit you realistically

also keep in mind shield poking

the video would help and snake loses a lot of ground on his air release, positioning in brawl is important and if snake isn't in a neutral situation to zone

C.J.

Smash Master
always add ten frames to that for reaction time
Reaction time for the normal human is 12 frames. Gamers really aren't that much faster.

technically if you buffer Dtilt they shouldn't be able to hit you realistically
That's assuming they don't start thinking about their action while you're dtilting. In this case the extra time for reaction doesn't apply. Frame 1 of dtilt is the first frame that they can start processing, it hits frames 7-13, which is all the time they need to process it. So, it's still -7 for non-tippered.

Assuming you're buffering it, if they drop shield they can't beat it because shield drop is 7 frames. If they try to grab though they might be able to/can grab you inbetween hits espically because you're not hitting with the tip.

the video would help and snake loses a lot of ground on his air release, positioning in brawl is important and if snake isn't in a neutral situation to zone
Apparently air release on Snake and DDD guarantees a fair? I remember talking to Junk about this awhile ago. He said he and Mike tested it, sometimes he could get out, sometimes he couldn't. Although, you can't guarantee an air release on those two so it's situational at best.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
Reaction time for the normal human is 12 frames. Gamers really aren't that much faster.

That's assuming they don't start thinking about their action while you're dtilting. In this case the extra time for reaction doesn't apply. Frame 1 of dtilt is the first frame that they can start processing, it hits frames 7-13, which is all the time they need to process it. So, it's still -7 for non-tippered.

Assuming you're buffering it, if they drop shield they can't beat it because shield drop is 7 frames. If they try to grab though they might be able to/can grab you inbetween hits espically because you're not hitting with the tip.

Apparently air release on Snake and DDD guarantees a fair? I remember talking to Junk about this awhile ago. He said he and Mike tested it, sometimes he could get out, sometimes he couldn't. Although, you can't guarantee an air release on those two so it's situational at best.
I forgot about shield drop, and reaction always applies, your brain has to register the action took place and respond even if its subconsious I garuntee no one has a 1 frame reaction to anything.

and buffered fair out of f throw is garunteed I believe at low percents,

I may not be getting specifics but spaced dtilt works well against snake

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Snake's fastest oos move is his grab (8 frames, BAD)
otherwise it's 10 frames... his shield drop to jab... also bad.
then it's 11 frames for his shield drop to first hit ftilt, not so bad, but marth outdisjoints/ranges it.

C.J.

Smash Master
Also, not as good an option, but one to watch out for is he can dair you OOS (13 frames, 10 to jump 3 to dair) and he might jump high enough to go over a buffered dtilt. His dair hurts...
Again assuming a non-tippered dtilt as a tippered one has -14(?) frame advantage.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
You guys know the glitch where marth receives lag as if it was from Up B?

What triggers it?, I forget.

I know you have to do an aerial the next jump to get rid of the glitch but..what causes it?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
when you sweetspot the ledge with up B, the next time you land, you'll get up B landing lag. If you land with a B move, it'll get transfered until the next time you land. If you auto cancel a move, however, the lag will be erased.

How do you drop through platforms without having to drop your shield?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
when you sweetspot the ledge with up B, the next time you land, you'll get up B landing lag. If you land with a B move, it'll get transfered until the next time you land. If you auto cancel a move, however, the lag will be erased.

How do you drop through platforms without having to drop your shield?
hold shield and SLOWLY tilt down
not too slow that you just tilt your shield, but not too fast that you spotdodge

earla

Smash Lord
tips on approaching projectile spammers? ie. falco, toon link, link, mario, luigi, samus

can i punish opponents rolling behind me any better then with dancing blade?

what are marths best kill options + good setups for ko's?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
tips on approaching projectile spammers? ie. falco, toon link, link, mario, luigi, samus

can i punish opponents rolling behind me any better then with dancing blade?

what are marths best kill options + good setups for ko's?
marth's sword cancels out most of those character's projectiles. Unlike Mk's sword. Jab, Fair, magic.
Otherwise powershield falco's lasers. Samus' fully charged shot should be ps'd too :)

Don't be in lag. Retreating rising nair/fair. Dashing and db out of it from behind opponent is good.

Comes naturally. What do I KO people with earl?

grimAuxiliatrix

Smash Cadet
is marth oosing dolphin slash to hit green greens bomb blocks awesome or is it just me, and also is it practical, because i rip up so many hellaceous shreds this fierce****ty biznasty gets so deliriously rudebrazen it...

Ok i lost the handle on that sentence

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
marth's sword cancels out most of those character's projectiles. Unlike Mk's sword. Jab, Fair, magic.
Otherwise powershield falco's lasers. Samus' fully charged shot should be ps'd too :)

Don't be in lag. Retreating rising nair/fair. Dashing and db out of it from behind opponent is good.

Comes naturally. What do I KO people with earl?

If your offstage I would recommend countering lucarios aura sphere because it is likely to **** your air dodge. It wasn't brought up but its my personal suggestion

and why would you leave what 50 frames of lag when jab has 20 for green greens

grimAuxiliatrix

Smash Cadet
i dont know, does jab have the range to not get hit by the explosion? also mostly because it hits every block and is so satisfyingly ridiculous to do

Reizilla

DS has invincibility frames before the hit box even comes out. Or maybe on the first frame, can't remember exactly. But either way, there are plenty of other moves that don't leave you in ****-me-please mode and accomplish the same thing.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
the invincibility starts frame one reigun

but otherwise he is correct the invincibility is not during the hitbox

and t he 55 frames of lag after scream please **** me so much its it will be consensual

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Any exercises for learning the tipper range for marth's spike [the front, not the back]?

I can't get it down and I like your character :<

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Training mode, set CPU to jump. Just keep trying to spike him down. Try it with a running start, Try it while falling, etc. Just do this in various situations until you get the spacing down.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
what bengalz said, we could tell you its the tip of the sword diagonally down from him but that probably won't help

its something you just have to know

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Oh the tip is diagonal?

I thought it was directly below.

That helped a lot, I picked it up quick after I knew this :)

Reizilla

If I grab release Wario under a platform on Battlefield, will I be able to get a tippered Fsmash (non stutterstepped) before he can bring up his shield?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Don't think that's extraordinarily efficient. First of all, it can be avoided on reaction, second of all: even if it works, he's probably not hanging around with a low shield.

Feel free to try, though.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
No, and it's not even that useful (cancels only 4 frames of lag and you have to cancel it into a double jump).

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Probably MK, but he does really well with D3 and Falco as well from what I hear.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
not falco mabey fox but NOT falco

wario MK D3 snake fox or some other character that can get kills is probably your best bet

probably MK though in general

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
MK works really well with marth nicks haha

man earls taking this seriously.
Need to adopt him quickly.

Marth does well with MK or POWERFUL KILLERS, to compensate for his unreliable kill power.
Characters that also are good at edge guarding, because Marth's edge guarding plus another edgeguarding = ****.

Top Bottom