• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice
Q. I'm probably being a noob here, but i haven't seen it done. Does anyone know that while trotting, you can hit the C-stick and if timed right, does a Smash, canceling the dash, and not doing a dash attack.

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice
Known, a nice thing to find out yourself though :)
Awh, there goes me finding out something new to the forums. Same thing happened when i found out Warios forward smash had super armour :(

I'll keep an eye out for more stuff though :)

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Awh, there goes me finding out something new to the forums. Same thing happened when i found out Warios forward smash had super armour :(

I'll keep an eye out for more stuff though :)
Yeah. I thought I had discovered something amazing when I realized that Link could short hop>bomb throw>QDA. I was spamming full hop>bomb pull>QDA>short hop>bomb throw>QDA for a while.

What characters can chaingrab Marth?

Player-3

Smash Hero
falco is like 3 grabs at 0 then you can DS him, ddd has to be frame perfect i believe to not get dsed

C.J.

Smash Master
DDD has to be frame perfect, Falco gets one regrab (frame perfect) and then a follow up after the second dthrow. Pika MIGHT get one if frame perfect but iirc he doesn't. And kirby has a chain throw? News to me... in any case, I'd be willing to bet Marth can DS out of it. Oh, and ICs of course.

loki15

Smash Cadet
This isn't really a question, but other than the vertical boost and momentum stopping capabilities, the first hit of db hitting an opponent offstage induces a bit of hitstun and I've found it's great to use against edge-guarders with mediocre vertical recovery. Has this been explored at all?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
This isn't really a question, but other than the vertical boost and momentum stopping capabilities, the first hit of db hitting an opponent offstage induces a bit of hitstun and I've found it's great to use against edge-guarders with mediocre vertical recovery. Has this been explored at all?
It's not safe. Dtilt is safer and more effective in almost all cases.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
MikeHaze

Mike if you're reading this, I've got a question for you (but anyone can answer this).

I've watched some of your tourney vids recently, unaware of who you even were, where you were from and how many tournaments you've won in the past. When I was watching most of them I was just as gobsmacked as I was when I watched vids of Mr-R in action. You are madly, insanely pro and I really wanna know how you do it.

Can any observant fellows in this thread tell me what makes his Marth so good and tell me what I can do to further improve my training to get a spacing efficient Marth too? I don't wanna be too safe or aggressive and I wanna knock in a few risky moves as well, like predicting and using down-B, spiking an opponent from recovery, using pivot grabs just to make your opponents look like fools. Of course these come last into training and into mind but how can I train to improve by these aspects?

TRA

Smash Journeyman
falco is like 3 grabs at 0 then you can DS him, ddd has to be frame perfect i believe to not get dsed
Just watch it with the dolphin slashes. A lot of good opponents like to bait them by throwing a few times and then just shielding, especially Dedede. And don't forget that Falco can D-throw into a Gatling Combo at low percents, and the D-Throw into U-Smash can be annoying unless you DI it right.

Time
Runs
Away

loki15

Smash Cadet
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant with both players offstage, Marth is knocked off, opponent is edgeguarding, and upb stage spike isn't an option. So, situational, but not that out of the ordinary.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Mike if you're reading this, I've got a question for you (but anyone can answer this).

I've watched some of your tourney vids recently, unaware of who you even were, where you were from and how many tournaments you've won in the past. When I was watching most of them I was just as gobsmacked as I was when I watched vids of Mr-R in action. You are madly, insanely pro and I really wanna know how you do it.

Can any observant fellows in this thread tell me what makes his Marth so good and tell me what I can do to further improve my training to get a spacing efficient Marth too? I don't wanna be too safe or aggressive and I wanna knock in a few risky moves as well, like predicting and using down-B, spiking an opponent from recovery, using pivot grabs just to make your opponents look like fools. Of course these come last into training and into mind but how can I train to improve by these aspects?
Simply master all spacing methods (approaching, zoning) and improve on your ability to read and condition the opponent.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant with both players offstage, Marth is knocked off, opponent is edgeguarding, and upb stage spike isn't an option. So, situational, but not that out of the ordinary.
Nah you were clear ;).

Yes in some cases it's plausible to whip out a db1 instead of a fair, but usually it's best not to use it. However, it's definitely an option, since it can flunk the opponent off their train of thought if they were expecting a fair, but instead see a db1 and were not prepared for it to be used... (since db1 has different speeds and characteristics than a fair).

Another use is if you're going to use db1 while ascending on a jump, because it'll give you a vertical boost, which is a benefit you won't get from using fair or such.

Ice Climbers as well.
Oh yes, of course. Can't believe I didn't think about them lol.

Jupz

Smash Master
DDD has to be frame perfect, Falco gets one regrab (frame perfect) and then a follow up after the second dthrow. Pika MIGHT get one if frame perfect but iirc he doesn't. And kirby has a chain throw? News to me... in any case, I'd be willing to bet Marth can DS out of it. Oh, and ICs of course.
Actually, its easy for DDD to chaingrab marth and most DDD's can easily do it :)

Browny

Smash Hater
So I know how marth has that crazy boost pivot grab and his retreating boost pivot grab, then when I was using Lucario and managed to do the same thing I was a little surprised :O

However in all my attempts to practice this technique, not once, in about 45 minutes, did I manage to do it while sliding to the right. I was practicing it with marth half the time. I truly can not figure out why I cant do it when I can do the standard BPG at like 75-80% success rate, with lucario or marth while sliding to the left, but have a 0% success rate while facing right >_>

Is there some secret to doing it while facing right? lol it must be so simple but i cant do it >_<

Tophes

Smash Cadet
I don't know if it's just me, but when I do the boost pivot grab, I do it with R+A rather than Z. For me, the boost pivot grab comes out more often that way than when I do it with Z. Maybe you should give that a shot.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
When I grab, unless I'm shieldgrabbing, I use Z. Sometimes, when I press Z, I shield; this has been an issue since day one. Is there a way to one-button-grab without the chance of shielding?
For example, if I change my X button to the grab control, will it fix this problem?
Also, is it guarunteed that grab>pummel once or twice>release will result in an aerial release? If not, will the ground release still combo into nair, dair, fair, dash attack, dolphin slash and dancing blade on characters like MK?

Palpi

Smash Hero
It is probably becasue you are buffering the grab and your input is before your grab is ready to be used. Sometime I roll if I buffer a pivot grab to early.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
When I grab, unless I'm shieldgrabbing, I use Z. Sometimes, when I press Z, I shield; this has been an issue since day one. Is there a way to one-button-grab without the chance of shielding?
For example, if I change my X button to the grab control, will it fix this problem?
Also, is it guarunteed that grab>pummel once or twice>release will result in an aerial release? If not, will the ground release still combo into nair, dair, fair, dash attack, dolphin slash and dancing blade on characters like MK?
Uh I use R+A in Brawl all the time, so I don't know much about Z XD. It should be just a timing problem, though.

According to what I know, it depends how fast they escape from the release. There should be about a second or two between the last pummel and the start of the release, for the release to be an air release and not a ground release.

May be some things like DS will work if it's a ground release, but I'm not sure about the frames. But either way, the frames of lag the released player gets and such are different from the air release, so not all the same follow-ups will work, if any.

Palpi

Smash Hero
The issue is timing of your button inputs. Because of Brawls buffering system, the game reads your input first, but since at the time when the buffer was made it can't do that input for whatever reason so it shields.

I actually don't know if this is true, but since it happens to me, I am taking an educated guess.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Makes sense to me. I don't see any other reason for the Z button to come out with a shield instead of a grab or such. But why the game decides to make you shield instead of something else still bewilders me. I see now why I sometimes roll dodge instead of buffering a dash into a shield grab with DDD ;).

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice
There is no difference when you change say, X to grab, sometimes it will still shield.

I once just had to forward throw someone off the stage, i pressed my x button 4 times in a row, shielded everyone :(

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
So I know how marth has that crazy boost pivot grab and his retreating boost pivot grab, then when I was using Lucario and managed to do the same thing I was a little surprised :O

However in all my attempts to practice this technique, not once, in about 45 minutes, did I manage to do it while sliding to the right. I was practicing it with marth half the time. I truly can not figure out why I cant do it when I can do the standard BPG at like 75-80% success rate, with lucario or marth while sliding to the left, but have a 0% success rate while facing right >_>

Is there some secret to doing it while facing right? lol it must be so simple but i cant do it >_<
No secret to them, lol. But yea it can be difficult when switching sides. You'll get it eventually, I had problems with one side in the beginning, can't remember which side, though.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
There is a xat chat, but they say that the chat is "dead" and "can't" be "revived".

And anyway, you should know that Chatango chats are better in the sense of order ;).

lax guy5

Smash Journeyman
I always have a problem making the dancing blades natural combo go fast! 50% of the time I only get 2 hits in before they DI out of it. So how do I make sure I can the maximum amount of hits off of it? Thanx :)

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
@ 6Mizu

Good Bad ****.

No just kidding, I forget what it stands for.

@ RocketPSIence

I might come around and give some input ;).

@ lax guy5

Well first of all, the Up variation and Down variation of Marth's DB are very easy to DI towards the end. With the Up combination, the last few hits have much less horizontal range than the other variations, so you either have to perform each hit very quickly and/or start your DB up close to begin with. The Down variation has more horizontal range but some can DI out of the last multi-hit... the Neutral variation is the hardest to DI out of (if even possible), so be sure to use that if they keep DI'ing out of the others. If they still escape out of the Neutral variation oftenly, then you might need to initiate your DB a little closer.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
1.Does marth have a boost grab or boost pivot grab? i cant tell if he boosts or not when i do it.

if he does have them, are they needed to do any specific grab combos or chaingrabs on characters?

2. which grab has more range? standing or dashing?

3.if im correct, marth can dthrow CG fox falco pikachu sheik and squirtle? not wolf?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
1.Does marth have a boost grab or boost pivot grab? i cant tell if he boosts or not when i do it.

if he does have them, are they needed to do any specific grab combos or chaingrabs on characters?

2. which grab has more range? standing or dashing?

3.if im correct, marth can dthrow CG fox falco pikachu sheik and squirtle? not wolf?

1. Yes.
2. Dashing.
3. I can confirm Fox and Falco. Squirtle can be infinitely pivot grab released, if I recall correctly. I'm not sure about the others.

Top Bottom