• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

C.J.

Smash Master
Wavebouncing involves being off the ground. This running momentum pivot SB doesn't involve getting off the ground. B-reversals are usually done in the air as well yes?
Usually, not always. There was someone posting a new "nade tech" on the snake forums. The conclusion was it was just a grounded b reversal.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Well I'm actually not even sure, is it "normal" to be able to pivot a neutral B attack? Similarly to reversing a neutral B attack in the air, that is. I've never done this on the ground, or can't remember using it, so I didn't even know you can pivot it on the ground.

How do you perform a running SB? You just run and SB?

Well unless there's a special way to pivot your neutral B on the ground and/or a special way to perform a running SB, then the video of you performing that nifty trick is just a combination of known techniques, although pretty cool.

Well either way, seems like a nice way to mindgame people or to bait a dodge and punish with a SB ^^. Thanks for sharing the video.

Tophes

Smash Cadet
The running shield breaker basically works like this - While running, when resetting the analog stick to the neutral position, you are able to perform the neutral B before the slowing down animation happens. EL has brought this up once but this time I momentum pivoted it. As C.J. said though, I'm assuming it's like a B reversal but on the ground.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah the running pivot shieldbreaker is known.

It keeps you sliding when you turn around.

I, in no way, shape or form, have ever been able to test if Marth gets anything special from dash attack stuff.
Frame mode doesnt let you do any dash attack techniques, for whatever reason.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I know this may be answered already, but I need to know, is it good to use Dancing Blade as a surprise attack when jumping from the edge?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I know this may be answered already, but I need to know, is it good to use Dancing Blade as a surprise attack when jumping from the edge?
It's not safe on shield, I guess it's an ok mix-up occasionally, but you really have better options (which is not saying a lot for marth's ledge game).

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Hi.

What are Marth's options against people who love to roll? or do l has to bait it? =/ lm fighting too much rollers these days lol.
Dancing Blade for sure, pivot grabbing aswell. If there really obvious/predictable, you can get real mindgamey and charge smashes or UpB.

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
Does Marth have an infinite grab release chaingrab on just 1 ice climber (Popo)?
And by chain grab i mean the infinite that can be used on Ness and Lucas

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Does Marth have an infinite grab release chaingrab on just 1 ice climber (Popo)?
And by chain grab i mean the infinite that can be used on Ness and Lucas
No, sir.

But squirtle is water type. Water freezes. Ice Climbers freeze things. Marth can infinite chain-grab Squirtle.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
What the hell is a neutral position against Snake? There's never not a grenade to worry about.

POINT BLANK? You're looking at GRABS GRABS GRABS, or some dancoong blaaaade.

That usually comes from forcing them to shield because of your epic spacing on fairs and nairs.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
My ground game always tends to get nade-grabbed or simply ftilted.

A neutral situations would be both players standing some distance from eachother, with nades floating in all directions.

Non-perfect aerials on shield get dash-attacked.

Perfect aerials on shield are on shield and are thus not ideal.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Ways of training my Marf?

So I've read everything the Marth boards had to offer, including matchups, ATs, tactical aspects of the game, and I've done the training mentioned in that one thread which showed what you could do in training mode. I'm able to powershield and know the timing and know how to tipper most things in places. Now I wanna be a really good Marf. How do I do this?

Some peeps saying doing Marth dittos makes you more aware of what you need to do more of and less of generally. Others say that playing good players of different chars gives you thre matchup training.

But I want to make my Marth competitive and a worthy challenge for my friends and others on AiB and SWF (I'll go to local tournaments when I'm absolutely **** and a little older :p). Can someone show me the path?

C.J.

Smash Master
Lord Chair, dtilt>everything snake has except 2nd hit of ftilit. Empty SH->grab->uthrow->****

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
How do you guys go about edge guarding MK? Yeah, i asked it.....do you guys patiently just wait on stage to avoid getting hit by something stupid or you actually edge guard? I always get hit by tornado, side b, or something stupid. He has too many **** options to be even slightly predictable.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Edgeguard an MK? Lol no I don't really do much. Against a good MK (meaning no scrubby players who may not be the smartest) they'll be very very hard to edgeguard. Unless you can mindgame or bait certain actions from the MK, I would just stay on the edge of the stage, since it'd be very risky fighting a MK off stage.

"I am! Thing is I don't feel so comfortable with various matchups. Is there anything I should observe or do in friendlies to improve my knowledge on a matchup?"

Yeah we all want to get good fast, but it all comes in time with experience. Don't wait for yourself to get good before going to tournies; go to them now, when you can. You'll get more experience and get a better idea of what people in a tourny scene play like. Plus, there's no lag unlike friendlies on WiFi, so there'll be many differences.

Just keep in mind, that when you're trying to get more matchup experience, to observe what things do good against what for that certain character... just experiment, even if it is just using one strategy over and over. Find something that works well. If they start countering it, then you'll know that it's probably not a good option or something you shouldn't repeat over and over.

Another thing: Make sure that a good amount of your friendlies/matches are against people better than you. Playing those that you can gimp easy or such can definitely boost confidence or enforce lower level techniques and skills, but you need to be sure you're also fighting better players so you can learn what they do and how they do it, so you can act accordingly to better your game.

If you need more ideas on how to get better or what to do in certain match up situations, go watch some videos of good Marths and look at each action and think about why they did it.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Thank you for the advice sir.

I've actually been a member on here for a while though and am very familiar with the tourney scene. I'm Prince Of Fire....I just changed my name/abbreviation to P. O. F.

I pretty much have little to no problems with any other match up in Brawl. King Dedede sometimes when im in the wrong mood and Snake is weird...but thats about it. IMO, Marth has an advantage against everyone else aside from Donkey Kong.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
C stick, mainly for retreating aerials
almost all of us do

Why is rainbow cruise a legal stage? it seems way too gay to be allowed...

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
premium membership you can
No, I just made a new account.
Lol owned Tennet. No just joking, but that's cool, I might get premium membership then :D.

@ smasher1206

What Doomblaze said. A main use for using A for aerials is if you wanted to full hop an aerial, but also wanted to perform the aerial immediately after lifting off. The A button is closer than the C-stick, and you can press both jump and A with your thumb (in one stroke). Even if your thumb can reach the C-stick fast enough, you won't be able to full hop since you need to be holding onto jump while quickly inputting an aerial.

Why is rainbow cruise a legal stage? it seems way too gay to be allowed...
Yeah there are some pretty ghey things, but I guess the main factor in depending on a stage's legality is the consensus of the players competing in matches/tournies.

Tennet

Smash Champion
zhao you see the areas where the screen cuts off? aim for those with weegee. chic just nado's bairs and waits for mistakes against marths it seems to work.

Top Bottom