• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Probably a nooby question:

I think everyone here knows about how most character's forward tilt and forward smash can be angled up or down. My question is what is different between the three? Obveously the hitbox changes to a bit higher or a bit lower (useful depending on where the character is), but is there some other significance for doing this? Is the attack damage and knockback affected by this?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Probably a nooby question:

I think everyone here knows about how most character's forward tilt and forward smash can be angled up or down. My question is what is different between the three? Obveously the hitbox changes to a bit higher or a bit lower (useful depending on where the character is), but is there some other significance for doing this? Is the attack damage and knockback affected by this?
i think fox's lowered f-tilt has no knockback at all whereas his normal f-tilt and raised u-tilt do have knockback

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
CA5H. can you play other games on your computer without them crashing? Do you know whether you have integrated graphics or a separate graphics card?
I haven't really tried playing other games on my computer. I also have no idea if i have an integrated graphics or a separate card. But I really think there should be no problem. Like I said, this is a *newer* computer. I have downloaded project64k and ssb64 rom on my dad's computer and I have no problems.

Also, I can't find my ssb64 rom ANYWHERE on my mom's computer even though I have put it in several different folders. Finally, when I open my project64, not only does it say "Direct3D does not recognize your HAL device," but I can't even click on my "configure graphics," "configure audio," or any of those "configure" options at all!

Shearsy

Smash Rookie
three questions:

how do you jump off a ledge once hanging on? A, B and Z get me rolling evasively or clearing. i want to leap backwards.

how do you make mario's tornado take him upwards? i tried to use it to assist my jump back but couldn't stop him from rapidly descending. i'm sure puff's rising pound similarly relates to this but again can't make him rise up.

are there significant differences between gameplay on a console and keyboard online? i play just console.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
three questions:

how do you jump off a ledge once hanging on? A, B and Z get me rolling evasively or clearing. i want to leap backwards.

how do you make mario's tornado take him upwards? i tried to use it to assist my jump back but couldn't stop him from rapidly descending. i'm sure puff's rising pound similarly relates to this but again can't make him rise up.

are there significant differences between gameplay on a console and keyboard online? i play just console.
Tap the control stick away from the edge and you'll let go. Also, if you tap down you'll let go and fast fall.

For the mario tornado you just have to tap b really fast (same for Luigi). For Jiggly's pound you press b and then hold the control stick up, which angles your pound upwards.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Question 1: I'm a beginner with Ness, playing on the computer with a Game Pad. I can DJC, but at the moment I don't see how useful it is. I see videos of Ness players breaking shields and comboing opponents with the technique, but I can't do it fluently enough for it to be useful.
~ How do I approach properly with it, I can't seem to get people in the position I want to DJC attacks.
~ How do I break shields.
~ What are the best combo moves to use (Uair???)

Question 2: Is there a PSA-kinda thing for SSB64? Or just something which can edit damage and moves like the PSA can.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
To break shield with ness you just do a bunch of quick djc attacks in a row. Make sure that you are sliding your thumb from right c to down c to a (if you're using n64 controller, otherwise try to set it up so you can slide like this to djc really fast).

And yeah uair is one of the best combo moves along with utilt. You can sometimes chain fairs but that's pretty hard to do. Also you may want to use fair/nair/bair to dair as a finisher if you are by the edge. Also remember that these moves have weak hits if you hit with the tail end of the animation. Using the weak hit can help you combo at higher percents when the strong hit would knock them too far.

D

Deleted member

Question 1: I'm a beginner with Ness, playing on the computer with a Game Pad. I can DJC, but at the moment I don't see how useful it is. I see videos of Ness players breaking shields and comboing opponents with the technique, but I can't do it fluently enough for it to be useful.
~ How do I approach properly with it, I can't seem to get people in the position I want to DJC attacks.
~ How do I break shields.
~ What are the best combo moves to use (Uair???)

Question 2: Is there a PSA-kinda thing for SSB64? Or just something which can edit damage and moves like the PSA can.
-Ness's safest approach is djc up-air because hardly any aerials beat it, Ness has a big head

-Comboing with Ness:

up-tilt is a good combo starter and you should use it if you know some moron is going to jump on you with an attack, it beats a LOT of aerial moves.

If you whiff with up-tilt you may get owned

No platform- use up-airs, when it gets a little bit too high for more up-airs, you can either stomp and somehow tech chase, or do a weakened n-air, f-air, into another aerial

If you are next to an edge, you can spam n-air, f-air, f-air, stomp to gimp them off the edge

or a fancier way against heavier characters like fox is doing up-tilt, up-air, up-air, up-air, REVERSE f-air (where you collide with Ness's arms instead of his hands to send the opponent backwards off the edge), to stomp.

If you are on a platform, you can stomp them over and over again because they are going to either tech where you stomp, they don't tech you stomp, they tech left you stomp, they tech right you stomp.

shield breaking with ness is basically using djc d-air, and maybe up-air repeatedly to **** their shield. It takes practice to do and I have never done it in my life

D

Deleted member

how do you beat a 2 kirby team that turn their faces to each other and start up-tilting?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
how do you beat a 2 kirby team that turn their faces to each other and start up-tilting?
With Goku's secret spinning infinite.

Also, when I jump with Fox into a roof and fire lasers, I appear to hover for a bit. However, without lasers I just drop. Is there a buffet mechanism or some sort, or is it just me?

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Also, when I jump with Fox into a roof and fire lasers, I appear to hover for a bit. However, without lasers I just drop. Is there a buffet mechanism or some sort, or is it just me?
This will also happen with certain aerials.
Not sure of the cause.

Falcon looks hilarious hovering under the rapetent with his karate-kick nair sticking out

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
Question:

I'm thinking about picking up SSB again but can only really play Online.

I have a super fast computer....what emulator do you recommend me using? I looked at the Smash Index and it talked about (very briefly) the differences between the few emulators and how it will affect me along with p2p clients and such and I'm not sure what I should do that will be BEST for me.

One final question:
Can I run SSB Online from my Wii with some sort of Homebrew application? I have the WAD file installed onto my Wii...actually...I"m about to do it later today and was wondering if anythign was invented with that kind of stuff yet.

Those are my two questions.

Edit: I have an emutor version of this game on my Wii and there's this weird glitchy stripe at the top left corner of the screen while playing it's like a white bar or something. Anyone know if that's common or was in the original game? Looks liek some sort of glitch or something.

Pav7300

Smash Apprentice
Good timing or use an attack with more range (fireball, lazer, throw). Can use kirb's rock form. I think fox's dtilt should be able to reach.

kys

Smash Ace
I've got a quick ping question-i've been playing online for about a month now and my ping on galaxy 64 has always been a steady 45-60 ms. I played Tuesday night with this ping, but when I tried playing on Wednesday night it magically jumped to 100+. Absolutely nothing changed between Tuesday and Wednesday, in fact, my computer wasn't even used between smash "sessions". I didn't even notice it until Malva pointed it out when i tried to join his game. Sooooooo, does anyone know what could have happened? Is it a server issue? I wouldn't mind so much because I still don't lag, but the extra input lag I get from 50 to 100 is almost unplayable. I've tried redownloading pj64k and cleaning up my computer but nothing has changed. Any help would be appreciated, so thanks in advance.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Ok, so I've been wondering about this for a couple hours now, so I decided to post.

I play SSB64, and I was wondering if this happened to anyone else.

I like to play dittos, preferably Link vs. Link. So, today I turn on my n64 to play a little bit of Smash. I picked Luigi and decided to fight a lvl 9 Link. I start the match, and then I realize something; This Link has obviously "learned" from playing my Link. I don't know if this is just a coincidence or what, but all of the sudden, Link is a little Up+B crazy. He begins to perform combos that I would usually do, such as: Fair, Boomerange, Up+B.

This has never happened before. EVER. It's really odd because when I used to play Link dittos, and I was edgeguarding, I would throw a boomerange and hit them with the Up+B. Now Link is starting to do this?
I mean, even on the ground, randomly, he'll just perform his Up+B.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
You are imagining it. Smash CPUs do not learn. It is impossible. The Link AI has likely always been doing this combo, you just never noticed it until you "discovered" the combo yourself and started considering it to be your combo. Seeing him do up-B on the ground I would say is proof that the AI doesn't learn, since this is something good players rarely ever do, and something a lot of noobs do all the time. You will never see a CPU do an l-cancel or any kind of extended combo that is typical of higher-level matches. You won't even see a CPU do Falcon's usmash * 2, uair * 4, up-B, even though it's like the most common thing ever when actual humans are playing.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I've also gotten that feeling before, several times. I feel like even if it doesn't learn anything permanent, there is at least some programming that adjusts its tactics in a particular way based on previous games it played against humans. Aside from the many statics (not doing upB a second time after being hit, rolling behind you when facing in front of you, etc.) there does seem to be some variation (never real "improvement" however).

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
You won't even see a CPU do Falcon's usmash * 2, uair * 4, up-B, even though it's like the most common thing ever when actual humans are playing.
But I did see a lvl 9 Falcon do a Uair Uair Dair kill yesterday on another lvl 9 falcon. And each hit did connect to the last (i.e. was not a 'broken combo').

It's not that they are learning stuff, it's just that they just happened to do that series of attacks. They have a set program that they follow, this never changes.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
All of a sudden I'm interested in seeing the actual program for the AI. That it doesn't attempt a second upB (which should be easy to implement) really bugs the hell out of me.

Top Bottom