• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I stand corrected. Does anyone know what the codes are for it?

do 'pros' jump with cbuttons (which one?) or the controller stick, or does it vary on the situation, or does it not matter much?

do pros hold the joystick with just the thumb or the thumb and index finger, or does it not matter much?

im cfalcon. i want to jump, up a, jump, up a. is this possible when using the cbuttons , and if its possible what am i missing? (when i up a i use my second jump as i up a)

can u shorthop using the joystick?

thats all for now, probly more to come though.. thx for any answers.
The first two are dependant on personal preference. I use exactly what Daedatheus said. If I'm going to use a B attack, I use Left C. If I'm going to use an A attack, I use down C. If I'm going to use double-jump cancelled attacks (with Yoshi and Ness), I use Right - Down - A.

As for thumb vs thumb/index, I personally use thumb and index. I hold the controller completely differently from everyone else... http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236107
Those are some of the ways people hold the controller.

As for the Falcon up air without double jumping, you can 'tilt' the control stick. Tapping it up makes you double jump, so pushing it slowly will not make you jump. The other option is having it already pointed to up before you jump (e.g. after an up-tilt or something). For people using keyboard, if you press 'up' and 'a' at the exact same time (I believe it has to be frame perfect), then you will do an up-air without double jumping. All these are the same with down airing without fastfalling (including keyboard... but down and a are pressed at the same time).

As for the last question, you can short-hop with the control stick. In fact, you can short, mid, full, short/mid, mid/high, etc. hop with the control stick. The farther/faster you press it, the higher your jump.

Hope this helps.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I stand corrected. Does anyone know what the codes are for it?
This video is from japanese version. They played on 1P mode, they used at least two codes:
-Skip to Masterhand
-Replace Masterhand to X character

and probably other codes

I tried but i havent made it work though.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Being gimped is being killed early, usually in a humilating way. Throwing Link off when he's at a low percent [below 20%] then edgeguarding him is gimping him.

You could DI, it won't get you out maybe, but it will shorten the combo. In online play with a keyboard or probably a Gamecube controller you could DI out of Falcon's uair [up aerial].

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
Are there any character guides? I have checked the index and the first couple of pages but have found none.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
We started making character guides, and some got finished, but people stopped them for various reasons (lazy, school, *insert John here*, etc.). I actually plan to finish my puff guide at some point, but at the moment, I don't have time, and don't think I'll have time during the school year. So that said... yeah, we're just too busy (or too lazy in some people's cases :p)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I would try to make a Link guide, except playing him isn't hard...it's sort of just good spacing + projectile use. Also, I doubt I'm as qualified as most anyway.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
it's sort of just good spacing + projectile use.
Not really fair to break it down to that since that could be said of all characters. But we all know there is more to it than just that.

I would try to make a Link guide, except playing him isn't hard...
:confused:
Playing Link well is one of the hardest things to do in this game.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Recently, I've bought a new computer and it runs decent for what I need it to run. It started out with Windows Vista but I upgraded to the Windows 7 Beta. Everything works decently other then Project64kve which seems to have 2 problems.

1) If I start a game and move some windows around, the emulation will freeze and the sound will keep playing. This makes it really hard to transfer between the Kaillera chat or MSN chats.

2) Almost every time I start up a game, I have to refresh my codelist by going into my gameshark codes and unticking "Unlock all characters" and then ticking it back. This wouldn't be too much of a deal if I didn't have problem number 1. This makes me have to practically do this as fast as possible so the emulator won't freeze up as I'm doing this.

If anyone has experienced similar problems, it would be must appreciated if you could post some solutions here.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Recently, I've bought a new computer and it runs decent for what I need it to run. It started out with Windows Vista but I upgraded to the Windows 7 Beta. Everything works decently other then Project64kve which seems to have 2 problems.

1) If I start a game and move some windows around, the emulation will freeze and the sound will keep playing. This makes it really hard to transfer between the Kaillera chat or MSN chats.

2) Almost every time I start up a game, I have to refresh my codelist by going into my gameshark codes and unticking "Unlock all characters" and then ticking it back. This wouldn't be too much of a deal if I didn't have problem number 1. This makes me have to practically do this as fast as possible so the emulator won't freeze up as I'm doing this.

If anyone has experienced similar problems, it would be must appreciated if you could post some solutions here.
I run Windows 7 and I have no issues. I use pj64k not that garbage pj64kVE.
Check out www.galaxy64.com/Articles.html

As for number 2 it seems like it's that emulinkerSF issue where you have to recheck cheats or it desynchs. That issue has been solved already with a update. (galaxy 64 now has that update)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
:confused:
Playing Link well is one of the hardest things to do in this game.
I always found him fairly easy to play, and I can beat decent players using him quite easily. It might just be a personal thing, but projectiles and timing with his moves is the only tricky thing. It's all about move choice and precision. I sometimes use him to counter Pika, Jiggs and Kirby. Unfortunately, past Link and Samus, my other characters are mediocre :\

Also, wasn't there a Pika guide somewhere around? I found that one informative.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I run Windows 7 and I have no issues. I use pj64k not that garbage pj64kVE.
Check out www.galaxy64.com/Articles.html

As for number 2 it seems like it's that emulinkerSF issue where you have to recheck cheats or it desynchs. That issue has been solved already with a update. (galaxy 64 now has that update)
I'm pretty sure both problems are fixed now. I'm using a different plugin other then Jabo's 3d 8 so my emulator doesn't freeze and gameshark codes are running normally. Thanks a bunch :)

Pav7300

Smash Apprentice
I always found him fairly easy to play, and I can beat decent players using him quite easily. It might just be a personal thing, but projectiles and timing with his moves is the only tricky thing. It's all about move choice and precision. I sometimes use him to counter Pika, Jiggs and Kirby. Unfortunately, past Link and Samus, my other characters are mediocre :\

Also, wasn't there a Pika guide somewhere around? I found that one informative.
I can't find the guides for all the other characters, but I have pika favorited - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222725

I thought the N64/Smash64 ran at around 20 frames a second?
No, its at 60. If it were 20 I think we would all be Isai. Well, I'd still be Cartman - but you get my point.

Superstar

Smash Champion
If it were 20 frames the developers would make the "jumps" larger, so to get from one end of Dreamland to the other it'd be the same time just choppier.

20 frames is maybe movies [its 24 I think], it'd be terrible for games because games aren't motion blurred like movies, because motion blurring a game would need a really good graphics card.

k3vsdk

Smash Rookie
Hi, can anyone tell me the gameshark code that makes player 2 control the cpu in story mode?

I searched a number of gameshark code sites but couldnt find any code that sounded like what i want. Maybe its got a less obvious name?

Heres a video of it: LINK

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Can you get this update for free?
I know a guy who runs a server on germany and I could tell about this. Is this new version available somewhere?

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I know even z-canceling doesn't *fully* eliminate landing lag (reduces to 4 frames, 9 frames if fast-falled), but what about ledge canceling? From the BtP and BtT records it seems like it saves time often when you ledge cancel even the normal landing animation (without any attacks, etc.) and then dash across the platform (instead of landing further into the platform, then dashing).

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
SSB64 online. HELP!

EDIT: Ok, i click start netplay but everytime windows closes the window because "an inconvenience has occurred. I'm going to check for updates...

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
i saw isai's vids wit him and superboom and i was just wonderin how superboom is able to taunt cancel as soon as he gets off the floating platform that brings him down at the beginnin of each stock? thanks for the help

MattNF

Smash Lord
i saw isai's vids wit him and superboom and i was just wonderin how superboom is able to taunt cancel as soon as he gets off the floating platform that brings him down at the beginnin of each stock? thanks for the help
Just press L while you're on the platform and it'll automatically taunt cancel.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Ok, so I've downloaded the ROM and Projectk64, but when I try to open up Project64, it says that "Direct3D has failted to initialize you HAL device. Make sure you have properly configured 3D grafics card compatible with Direct3D 6.0."

Someone please help, I have no idea what to do.

Also, when I try to open up my ROM using Project64k, I can't find it ANYWHERE?

I also downloaded the ROM and project64k on my dad's computer earlier today and everything went fine! And it's an older computer than the one I'm using at my mom's now!

Someone please help me

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
projectiles and timing with his moves is the only tricky thing. It's all about move choice and precision.
I don't mean tech-skill-wise. I mean in terms of spacing and mindgames. With Link, if you make one mistake near the edge or make one bad choice, you'll lose a stock just like that. With Link you have very little room for error and when you are too close to use projectiles his spacing is tricky since his moves are slow. As such he is pressured very easily. This is what makes him difficult to play, and two players of equal skill, whoever's playing Link and whoever's playing Falcon/Pika/Fox/anyone fast will destroy the Link.

I know even z-canceling doesn't *fully* eliminate landing lag (reduces to 4 frames, 9 frames if fast-falled), but what about ledge canceling? From the BtP and BtT records it seems like it saves time often when you ledge cancel even the normal landing animation (without any attacks, etc.) and then dash across the platform (instead of landing further into the platform, then dashing).
Yes I do believe ledge-canceling stops ALL lag, but to do it as consistently as Z-Canceling AND apply it to gameplay the way you just described is just about impossible.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Ok, so I've downloaded the ROM and Projectk64, but when I try to open up Project64, it says that "Direct3D has failted to initialize you HAL device. Make sure you have properly configured 3D grafics card compatible with Direct3D 6.0."

Someone please help, I have no idea what to do.

Also, when I try to open up my ROM using Project64k, I can't find it ANYWHERE?

I also downloaded the ROM and project64k on my dad's computer earlier today and everything went fine! And it's an older computer than the one I'm using at my mom's now!

Someone please help me

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
CA5H, at this point you're spamming. If people are not answering your questions after ten times of asking, it's either because

a) they don't know the answer
b) not enough info
c) they're tired of answering the same question over and over again.
d) It's already been answered in a sticky or in another thread.
e) Other similar circumstances.

Spamming the same question over and over again will just minimize your odds of having it answered... especially posting it in 10 threads... and in this thread in particular, posting the exact same question (copy and pasted) 12 minutes apart with a single post in between.

I can't answer your question myself, but search the stickies, recent threads, or use the search function.

And please, for the love of Falcon, don't spam the same post in multiple threads like that, it just annoys everyone, reduces the odds of getting a response, and makes you look bad.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
CA5H, at this point you're spamming. If people are not answering your questions after ten times of asking, it's either because

a) they don't know the answer
b) not enough info
c) they're tired of answering the same question over and over again.
d) It's already been answered in a sticky or in another thread.
e) Other similar circumstances.

Spamming the same question over and over again will just minimize your odds of having it answered... especially posting it in 10 threads... and in this thread in particular, posting the exact same question (copy and pasted) 12 minutes apart with a single post in between.

I can't answer your question myself, but search the stickies, recent threads, or use the search function.

And please, for the love of Falcon, don't spam the same post in multiple threads like that, it just annoys everyone, reduces the odds of getting a response, and makes you look bad.

I apologize, to you, Blue Yoshi, as well as other Smash World Forum users. I am just REALLY frustrated right now... No matter what I do, it seems that I can't even open up my graphics, audio, or video plugins under project64k because the Jabo Direct3D7 doesn't recognize my HAL device. I don't know if I downloaded the project64k wrong or what happened... My HAL device should be fine considering it's a newer computer. I play Smash online on my dad's computer, and his is older than my mom's. Bah, sorry, again. I just have no idea what to do...

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
My home computer desynchs in less than 10 seconds online... it can always be the computer itself that is wrong. I play on the University computers for online smash since my home one doesn't work.

And no worries... just next time post it in one thread once. I'm pretty sure everyone here reads every thread, so we'll see it and answer it if we can. And if you post it five times, well, we'll see them all, get annoyed and not help.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Probably not that error message, but, is it Vista/Windows 7 that you're using? Which Projec64k you have, the original? As in, not VE?

firo

Smash Ace
CA5H. can you play other games on your computer without them crashing? Do you know whether you have integrated graphics or a separate graphics card?

Top Bottom