• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
proof that cpu's don't learn:

go on Saffron city as Kirby against a Jigglypuff. Stand in the middle of the right pillar (the one with the hospital H). Mash (or time) up-tilt. instant win with 0% damage received.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
even easier:

go on Hyrule Temple as Ness against a Link. Stand all the way on the left edge, facing inward. Instant win.

Stuff like this isn't proof that CPU's are completely static...but I do concede they probably are.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
No, they aren't static. From what I see, they can have up to 3 or 4 options programmed in a given situation. Their 'amazingness' is just them using the best option (which to me is random). The two scenarios we described, the CPU's described have one option, resulting in them getting destroyed.

For proof that they are not completely static, do a cpu vs cpu match, and repeat the exact same match again. If they were completely static, the match would be exactly the same. Another example: Go Pikachu on Dreamland, stand on the main platform under the left platform (don't remember the exact position). Have the cpu be a lvl 9 fox. After fox dies, just stand in this location. Sometimes he will use up-B, and if you shield it, he'll up-B off the stage. Other times he does something else. They are not static, but they are programmed and do not learn anything.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
can u di out of samus's upb?
and which direction do u usually mash (or is slide better)?
unfortunately u could. i dont really play against any samuses myself, so i couldnt really tell u how they di out of it. my bro does that to me all the time. sometimes he manages to get out of it and sometimes he doesnt :urg:

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
I've haven't DI'ed out of it enough to know. Sorry, Lul.

Ok, here's another question.

So, I was facing a lvl 9 Kirby as Samus on Hyrule on the WAAAAY left platform that is sloped a little. Kirby is nearly on the left edge of the platform and is look toward the middle of the stage. I am standing right in front of him, and for some odd reason, Kirby just starts grabbing. OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I'm obviously not in grab range, but Kirby keeps grabbing and I'm just standing there wondering what the hell is going on. Then, all of a sudden, after the succession of about 7 grabs, Kirby randomly F smashes and hits me.

This OBVIOUSLY isn't some super mindgame. ( LOL) But does anyone know what's goin on here?

ballin4life

Smash Hero
i've Haven't Di'ed Out Of It Enough To Know. Sorry, Lul.

Ok, Here's Another Question.

So, I Was Facing A Lvl 9 Kirby As Samus On Hyrule On The Waaaay Left Platform That Is Sloped A Little. Kirby Is Nearly On The Left Edge Of The Platform And Is Look Toward The Middle Of The Stage. I Am Standing Right In Front Of Him, And For Some Odd Reason, Kirby Just Starts Grabbing. Over And Over Again. I'm Obviously Not In Grab Range, But Kirby Keeps Grabbing And I'm Just Standing There Wondering What The Hell Is Going On. Then, All Of A Sudden, After The Succession Of About 7 Grabs, Kirby Randomly F Smashes And Hits Me.

This Obviously Isn't Some Super Mindgame. ( Lol) But Does Anyone Know What's Goin On Here?
Omg The Computer Is Obviously Learning!!!!!

NixxxoN

Smash Master
CPU doesnt learn. But it changes the game strategy depending if the stuff tried before doesnt work

WildC4rd

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know the IP address for a server on kailera where the majority of people play smash 64? Are there any still around? It's been over a year since I've last visited the one I used to play on.

Edit: nvm, i found the ip address. However, my ping's too high on this connection so I can't really play anyway :/

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Stand still while a lv9 Captain Falcon approaches by walking. They'll spam D-Smash. He got to 6 before he decided to F-Tilt.

@ Wildcard: If my katakana is still valid, living in Texas doesn't mean you can't play P2P :)

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Help, Help, Help!

Lol, ok. So could anyone help me with Super Smash Bros. online?

What exactly is Ping?

Why does my Ping randomly jump from high to low, or vice versa? I.E 281-472

Should playing online matter since I have a Dial-up connection? Will it be slow(er)?

What are the servers most people play on? Could you give me some I.P. addresses?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Ping is how long it takes for your computer's signal to contact the server.

Depending on where you live and the server, your ping will fluctuate. On the old EGX, I had a very, very high ping. On my local server, I get a ping of 15-31.

Play if you want, just expect people to get annoyed at you for lagging out sometimes.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Does smash on the 64 lag if connected to an HDTV? It seems to with mine.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
I've haven't DI'ed out of it enough to know. Sorry, Lul.

Ok, here's another question.

So, I was facing a lvl 9 Kirby as Samus on Hyrule on the WAAAAY left platform that is sloped a little. Kirby is nearly on the left edge of the platform and is look toward the middle of the stage. I am standing right in front of him, and for some odd reason, Kirby just starts grabbing. OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I'm obviously not in grab range, but Kirby keeps grabbing and I'm just standing there wondering what the hell is going on. Then, all of a sudden, after the succession of about 7 grabs, Kirby randomly F smashes and hits me.

This OBVIOUSLY isn't some super mindgame. ( LOL) But does anyone know what's goin on here?
There are a few random AI freak-outs like this I have seen. One that is reproducible and quite funny to watch: get a CPU Yoshi into the ****-tent area of Hyrule and stand on top of the left wall (to the right of the three platforms). The Yoshi will usually try to throw an egg or two; after that, he will try to jump up to get you, but for some reason he immediately does his second jump. Then he tries to jump again since the doublejump cancels Yoshi's upwards momenteum...and then he repeats this. Over and over. And really fast. It even makes the Yoshi "HHNNNGGGG" jump noise. Try this if you've never seen it and be in awe of the CPU's mad DJC skills lol

I think every non-CRT TV has a bit of lag, some worse than others. Projection TVs are the worst. This won't just be with Smash. It's just that you probably won't notice playing other games that don't require strict timing.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Yes, but it depends on the TV. I just played on my friend's TV and I was worried about lag when I saw it was an HDTV but it was very smooth. Some TVs have a special "game mode" or something like that that may reduce the lag time.

DMoogle

A$
Ping is how long it takes for your computer's signal to contact the server.

Depending on where you live and the server, your ping will fluctuate. On the old EGX, I had a very, very high ping. On my local server, I get a ping of 15-31.

Play if you want, just expect people to get annoyed at you for lagging out sometimes.
Small correction: It's how much time it takes for your packet to be sent to the server and receive a reply. So it's the round-trip time.
I don't notice any lag on my Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ80U 42" 1080p Plasma HDTV.

MattNF

Smash Lord
There are a few random AI freak-outs like this I have seen. One that is reproducible and quite funny to watch: get a CPU Yoshi into the ****-tent area of Hyrule and stand on top of the left wall (to the right of the three platforms). The Yoshi will usually try to throw an egg or two; after that, he will try to jump up to get you, but for some reason he immediately does his second jump. Then he tries to jump again since the doublejump cancels Yoshi's upwards momenteum...and then he repeats this. Over and over. And really fast. It even makes the Yoshi "HHNNNGGGG" jump noise. Try this if you've never seen it and be in awe of the CPU's mad DJC skills lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5mRgXwkTGs

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Some people notice lag more than others. When I played smash bros melee at a friend's place with 5 other people all better than me, only me and one other person noticed lag on a certain TV. It was completely unplayable for me for the first few matches until I got used to it. But I do notice lag on HDTVs when others do not, so it's different from person to person.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
i have a 52'' sony lcd hdtv and ive never noticed any lag playin smash :confused:
If you've been playing on that for a while, you'd probably not. In my case, I most often play on an old TV, but sometimes have to switch to an HD, where I notice more delay between input and display.

DMoogle

A$
Also I play online a lot (except for when EVERYTHING IS DOWN arghhhh), so maybe I'm used to some sort of delay that I don't notice too.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
we have a 40" 1080p HDTV here and you can definitely see the delay :(

Xbox 360 is sexy on it though ;D

Anyone here try the new(ish) UFC 2009 game by chance?

NixxxoN

Smash Master
wattttttttt why on earth can't I connect (using k.god-weapon.com:27888)? I can't even ping it with the command prompt, I just get a "General failure."

Galaxy 64 IS down though, right?
Why dont you use the master servers list?

Galaxy 64: 69.90.34.245:27888 - (currently off)

Godweapon: 72.5.152.70:27888

rockbuddist101

Smash Rookie
i watched some ssb vids the other day and remembered what a great game it was. anyways i wana start playing it again. i have the project64 emulator and i have a gamecube to usb adapter on its way in the mail. after i get the adapter and get some much needed practice in, i would like to play some online matches but i have no idea how to go about doing this. plz help me out.

-thx

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Seems like you were banned by CHIBICHAN A money

either that or that failure of an admin bobo.

DMoogle

A$
I have no idea why I would be banned, but I made a post on their forum about it so hopefully someone will answer. I tried changing IPs too and that didn't work.

So weird...

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
I just started replaying this after not touching it for like 9 years. My question is...where do I learn the current metagame for Captain Falcon since there don't seem to be any character specific boards? I'd love to know what his existing combos are / how to play him / tricksies etc etc

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I just started replaying this after not touching it for like 9 years. My question is...where do I learn the current metagame for Captain Falcon since there don't seem to be any character specific boards? I'd love to know what his existing combos are / how to play him / tricksies etc etc
Watch the recent videos on Isai's youtube channel ("Mevsec" is the channel name) with Superboom playing as Falcon. There are of course many other good Falcon videos out there, just youtube'em. If you have any specific questions about Falcon, just drop them here and we'll be glad to answer!

Top Bottom