• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's a good lay out, but I think the problem with most Ike players, or players in general is that it requires too much of a drastic change from what they originally have. For example, I use the default controls, and it would take ages for me to get muscle memory and timing down with a new set of controls. This can lead to mistakes in tourny play, which can be costly. So unless you are taking a long break from tournaments, it would be tough to change your control schemes.

Even if you were to get the layout down, it all changes in tournament play as we tend to do things that are accustomed to doing only in tournament play. A perfect example is that I tend to play more flashy in friendlies, but when it comes to tournaments, I bog down and slow down my play. So once again, timing with a new control scheme can become an issue.

Side Note: I think those "cards" I was mentioning earlier are called "Battle Data" cards.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I have Y as grab (even though I never use it) and both X and L as jump. L is too difficult to use for my primary jump button. I use X to jump like 90% of the time.

L is very useful for my second jump, however. I have very successful results on some characters by jumping offstage, then holding back+L and fair with cstick. Also helps me space double jump easier sometimes.

I only change buttons for buttons I really don't use anyways.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I never did like using the c-stick for tilts. For some strange reason when I tap the c-stick up or maybe forwards or backwards, Ike will either do a nair or his second jump. I really don't want to sacrifice my jumps too soon, especially against those characters who have a better off-stage game than me.

I have r as grab, z and a as attack, l and x as shield, y as jump, and b as special. That's my control scheme.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Right now, my only changed controls are tap jump OFF and C-stick ATTACK.

I'm thinking about using Y as grab (since I never press the Y button, and if grab buttons break grabs faster....)-- and MAYBE changing L to jump (which would take time, because I use both triggers for shield).

Both sound like good ideas. Perhaps the second one could even force bad habits away from me... like every now and then I'll just shield as soon as I miss an attack (mash both triggers frantically like a moron).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm sad, now. I don't think I'll be able to make it to HOBO 20... :(
Actually scratch that, I might just show up for a little bit.

Problem is, if I do come back from Austin that weekend, most of my time will have to go with chilling out with my family...I can make an appearance though and do some friendlies. I'll MM you >_>...

Edit: Don't worry, I'm not hard to spot. I'll be wearing something awesome.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Or you know, play with whatever scheme works best for you and/or is the most comfortable. I personally would shoot myself if I had to play Ike using Niddo's control scheme...

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Who uses tap jump here? I don't think you can usmash OoS with tap jump off and I need it on to do that...

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You can always just press the jump button and do it jump canceled I guess, but in what situations would up smash OoS be useful?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Or you know, play with whatever scheme works best for you and/or is the most comfortable. I personally would shoot myself if I had to play Ike using Niddo's control scheme...
Is it my fault that my set up would allow you to be 1-2 frames faster once you got used to it? :bee:

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Actually scratch that, I might just show up for a little bit.

Problem is, if I do come back from Austin that weekend, most of my time will have to go with chilling out with my family...I can make an appearance though and do some friendlies. I'll MM you >_>...

Edit: Don't worry, I'm not hard to spot. I'll be wearing something awesome.
Not too much though. $2 sound good?

-RedX-

Smash Lord
You can always just press the jump button and do it jump canceled I guess, but in what situations would up smash OoS be useful?
The startup on Ike's usmash puts his body low and he actually dodge some attacks and I do it OoS when Ike is facing the opponent.

Or I just goof around with it lol
Like Bored said, bair is better off when your back is facing your opponent.

EDIT: That jump glitch with the c-stick set to attack only happens when you buffer a tilt using the c-stick. Just wanted to make that clear -.-

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Now that I think about it, Usmash OoS would probably work really well for players who like to spot-dodge after they hit your shield, assuming you'll use a quick attack. If they're behind you, obviously they'll be expecting a Bair OoS because it is generally our best option; assuming that they assume that and spot-dodge the would-be Bair, we could Usmash instead to punish the spot-dodge. It would be situational and you'd have to see a pattern in what your opponent was doing first.

... Hope that made sense, I worded it kind of badly and can't be bothered fixing it. I've certainly encountered a lot of players who do that though, so it could be useful IMO.

:034:

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Meh, my idea of OoS punishing is to hit people before they can do anything... meaning Bair is the only thing I think of as an OoS punishing move.
I do OoS Nair sometimes when my back is facing my opponent... assuming I don't have enough frames to get a Bair in, I'll Nair and jump over them so I am facing their back. This tends to be safe--- much more so than a random Usmash. If they shield, whatevs, no big deal... if they spot dodge or roll in the right direction, they get hit. But I don't consider this OoS punishing... I just call it... executing a Nair, even though I AM doing it OoS.

Tossing this out there--- I feel sorry for those without Texas Roadhouse or Logan's Roadhouse anywhere nearby. One of these days, I'm going to die happy from a stomach explosion after peanuts, rolls, tons of fried mushrooms, half-rack of ribs, whole BBQ chicken breast, baked sweet potato with caramel sauce and marshmallows, veggies, sweet tea, and a dessert.
On that note, I'm going to the bathroom. And then to bed.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Now that I think about it, Usmash OoS would probably work really well for players who like to spot-dodge after they hit your shield, assuming you'll use a quick attack.

Problem is, at a high tourny level, good players don't spot dodge after an attack...more often then not, they shield or retreat in some kinda fashion.

If they're behind you, obviously they'll be expecting a Bair OoS because it is generally our best option; assuming that they assume that and spot-dodge the would-be Bair, we could Usmash instead to punish the spot-dodge. It would be situational and you'd have to see a pattern in what your opponent was doing first.

OOS B-air comes out really fast...almost impossible to spot dodge or shield after you finish a move. No need to replace it with a laggy move that doesn't work out, and can be punished easily.

Brett, find another teammate for Hobo 20, I'm teaming with Px.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
... I'm not planning on going to HOBO 20 because of No Koast. No worries.

I forgot how to play teams after you left anyway. Next time we team anywhere, we'll need to play some warm up games with an actual team... so we might be somewhat prepared.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
... I'm not planning on going to HOBO 20 because of No Koast. No worries.

I forgot how to play teams after you left anyway. Next time we team anywhere, we'll need to play some warm up games with an actual team... so we might be somewhat prepared.
Ah. Are you going to Phase 2? I was thinking of going to No Koast, but decided against it because it's a longer drive and not sure if Kirk is coming, and I prefer HOBO.

Oh and for Phase 2, I'm just gonna show up for friendlies since most of my day will be spending time with my family.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Phase 2 is seriously like a 30 minute drive. Even if I'm the only one from UNT who can make it, I'll still be going. We should do team friendlies at some point when you ARE there. I don't like sucking....

And.. if Kirk isn't going to No Koast... I probably won't either. He remains my sole deciding factor. *Cough*

theeboredone

Smash Legend
****, Kirk getting put in the spot light. Kirk, it's all on you. Kirk, you reading this? Kirk, you thinking about it? Kirk you gonna sleep on it? Kirk? KIRK?! KIIIIIRRRRRKK?!

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Problem is, at a high tourny level, good players don't spot dodge after an attack...more often then not, they shield or retreat in some kinda fashion.
Lol, in my region I'd say probably three or four guys qualify as 'high tourney level' and even they can get a little predictable from time to time, so for me it could be viable. I've actually noticed a lot of players who have a habit of throwing out random spot-dodges (or throwing them out after certain moves), I'm assuming because they think it's safer than rolling :ohwell:

OOS B-air comes out really fast...almost impossible to spot dodge or shield after you finish a move. No need to replace it with a laggy move that doesn't work out, and can be punished easily.
Meh, I've never even tried it anyways, I was just speculating. Bair and jabs OoS are really the only things I use.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
lol...

Well, at the moment things are looking like we'll be going...I should know for sure by next week, though.
I know I shouldn't advertise here, but NO KOAST is going to be a blast. I have yet to meet you, Kirk, so I'll be a little disappointed if you bail out.

By the way, I've been hearing some trash talk from the Kansas boys saying that I'm better than you. I won't buy it until I play you. So to wrap it up, don't bail, please?

Uh, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, control schemes...

Edit: I suppose you guys might need some more videos of Ike vs Kirby. I have a few here and there, so I'll get around to uploading them.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
And.. if Kirk isn't going to No Koast... I probably won't either. He remains my sole deciding factor. *Cough*
what if I go though? You went to SWAT to meet up with me but not no koast?

Things aren't looking very good for me though my mom doesn't want me to go lol, I might be able too if someone else from el paso goes but don't know who could and how we would get to ABQ and then Kansas.

Also bored how could you ditch brett? We'll team up next time brett I can take second with dead weight on my back anyways.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
what if I go though? You went to SWAT to meet up with me but not no koast?

Things aren't looking very good for me though my mom doesn't want me to go lol, I might be able too if someone else from el paso goes but don't know who could and how we would get to ABQ and then Kansas.

Also bored how could you ditch brett? We'll team up next time brett I can take second with dead weight on my back anyways.
Back then you were the best Ike in the SW...now you're just A_B. And I'm guessing you are coming to Hobo 20?

As far as me ditching Brett...first off he isn't coming. Second, this is an event I know I have the ability to win. Winning = Money. I wanna give myself the best chance (Shoulda asked Xyro, but Inui got him), so I'm teaming with Px. Not to sound like a snob, but even though he was tired, and I was tired + food poisoned, we shoulda done better than what we got. So I was disappointed.

Oh and that Falcon Kick to F-Smash was just embarrassing.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Arturito, could you organize the library's front page? Make an index of threads with modern insights of Ike? I couldn’t find important threads such as Kirk’s frame data.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
As far as me ditching Brett...first off he isn't coming. Second, this is an event I know I have the ability to win. Winning = Money. I wanna give myself the best chance (Shoulda asked Xyro, but Inui got him), so I'm teaming with Px. Not to sound like a snob, but even though he was tired, and I was tired + food poisoned, we shoulda done better than what we got. So I was disappointed.

Oh and that Falcon Kick to F-Smash was just embarrassing.
In all honesty, I can't argue with any of this, as terrible as it sounds. I was really, really embarrassed and disappointed too, no matter how many johns I could stack up and try to use in my own defense. I had one burst of great playing, but even screwed that up and lost the round after long enough. My teams playing has just gone down the drain in a truly horrible way and that's that. And really, I don't want Bored to team with me until I can practice it up in friendlies and get it back. Because otherwise, I really AM keeping him from winning.

=\

On a brighter note. NO KOAST! KIRK! KITTENS!

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Question: Can Toon Link’s UpB while in the air be interrupted by counter? Can counter cancel the vertical component of the trajectory while being launched just as it does while fastfalling?

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
1) I'm pretty **** sure it can be. But if you're able to hit it with counter, you may as well hit it with something else.

2) Kind of. But it's slow and you still move a bit before you actually stop. So if you're thinking of a bucket brake for Ike, well, it doesn't seem very reliable. I've tried it and it doesn't seem to help survival any more than regular DI and momentum canceling.

Oh yes, and happy birthday, Metroid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom