• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Brett for top tier. What are you majoring in, exactly? Piano performance?

But yeah... about the profile thing... what happened? Where are you, Arturito? :dizzy:
I thought about performance for a little bit. And then I woke up. Performance is WAAAAAAAAYYYY too much work for me. I'm actually not getting a B.M. I turned to a B.A in general music studies instead of majoring in something specific (i.e. B.M- composition/performance/education/theory). It's cool, though.. I'm looking forward to getting B.A after my name as opposed to B.M. For (hopefully) obvious reasons.
Piano is just my main instrument. I'm taking lessons from a dude who goes and wins competitions. He's straight up Russian. He's even more awesome than Bored.

And YEAH. We seriously need to do this profile thing. FOR REALZ. NAO.
wow brett,how do you put up with bored in tourneys:urg:

LOL i gotz new respectz for ya
How? I don't even "put up" with it, so to speak. My sexiness is loud enough to distract me from him, so I don't even notice most of the time.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Tacky Fool! Your incessant, enthusiastic outbursts of awesomeness are trite and false. You are not awesome, you are boring. Boring, boring, boring!
So, do we all reach a consensus that Bored is not awesome and that Kimchi is the sexiest? :laugh:
10boreds
:025:
.......Just look at the words he uses >_>

Palpi

Smash Hero
Lol brett. Your voice isn't that sexy, atleast you have the looks to compensate :D

The only 4 star word there was incessant, and it means like...constant, or unending..i think.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
How? I don't even "put up" with it, so to speak. My sexiness is loud enough to distract me from him, so I don't even notice most of the time.
But my beard draws the attention of everyone in the room. :bee:

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Screw you, Palpi. My voice isn't that sexy when I have to speak loudly. Sounds all nasal and stuff.
You should speak to me IRL. My sexy bass voice will sweep you off your feet.

AND I have the looks. AND the piano.
And... [better judgment used here because this is the internet and we must stay classy]

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Just posting to say that I am not dead. Busy, yes. But not dead.

So what's been happening lately?
In Ashu's? Nothing progressive. Zelda MU being discussed in a separate topic. Kimchi, Penta, and San still in the Tournament. So is Kirk I think. San won a tournament a little over a week ago, I took LT Singles at the tournament I was at last weekend, and that's about it.

Oh and I'm awesome.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Hey guys i got a question... I don't think it is easily possible, but one of the fellow TX players was talking to me and was telling me as Snake he could punish jabs by smash DIing toward Ike and Bairing him I guess by DIing behind me... Do you guys think that is possible, or very difficult to achieve with jab cancelling?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Hey guys i got a question... I don't think it is easily possible, but one of the fellow TX players was talking to me and was telling me as Snake he could punish jabs by smash DIing toward Ike and Bairing him I guess by DIing behind me... Do you guys think that is possible, or very difficult to achieve with jab cancelling?
Well the most important thing to remember is that even if they SDI your jab Ike still has a pretty huge frame advantage on his opponent. I think the lowest advantage Ike has on Snake is +7 or something. Consider that Snake's Bair is seven frames or so as well and I would say that the chance of him punishing you with a Bair is nonexistent.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I think this could be verified by Kirk or akashi, since Akashi DI's into jabs. I know Ally DI's away from Ike's jabs, but he DI's in to Diddy's jab combo for a bair.

I am pretty sure it is possible.

I think he means if he continues the whole combo Yagami. SDI'ing the first 2 attacks towards ike.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Dude i mean jab cancelling... cause he was saying how there were so many things i was doing he could punish and he listed that as an example, and i was jab cancelling him during the game.. I do think it is possible but i don't think it is worth taking all the damage just to ATTEMPT to get out a Bair when i could actually catch on to what he is doing and shield/dodge the Bair and punish him

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yah... it doesn't seem very practical to me. It would be easy to tell that he's SDIing behind you and you could just throw up a shield and punish his Bair's landing lag with more jabs.

:034:

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol if you notice your opponent is DIing into your jabs

let go of that A button and shield >_>

even if it is possible, you can still predict and punish

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I know Marth can hit us with his cute little Fair, but that's still only after jab 2. Since Jab1-Jab1 is true, we should be able to shield/avoid any attack after Jab1 anyway. Just knowing this, we can use our jabs in a way that's not punishable even by characters who try shenanigans such as these.
Just a bit of what I've learned since Takeurlife moved in here at UNT.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Can someone go over how to SDI if I switch my C-Stick to tilts? I have my C-Stick set to smash, and use it normally when I'm getting hit by an attack with multiple hits. I also use it to fast fall d-air when I get sent up. I was thinking of switching over to Tilt Stick against DDD's since I have noticed I get a lot of opportunities to do walk off D-airs.

EDIT: I'm guessing Fast Fall D-Air will still register if done manually while being sent up by an attack?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
You can just do a walk-off dair by holding down on control stick while you hit c stick down.
True, but it's kind of risky... if you mess up it's a lost stock and you'll probably miss your opponent too. Tilt stick makes it guaranteed to not end in an SD. SDIing without the c-stick sucks. You have to do everything with the control stick, so you'll never get as many inputs as you would with the c-stick set to smash, however I've learned to deal with it. And for momentum canceling, yes you can just use the Dair manually (control stick down + attack) to fast fall, but obviously this means less horizontal control since you need to use the control stick.

Basically the only thing that gets harder is DI. Some people will tell you that things like sliding Usmashes are harder without smash stick but I can do them just fine manually, just a quick tap to either side and then rotate the control stick up and attack. I have trouble manually using tilts immediately from a standstill (I tend to use a smash instead which can be bad for an Ftilt attempt), so the tilt stick really helps there... also it means you don't have to crouch first to Dtilt an opponent, so if that's your intention you can keep them guessing.

But yah, basically you'll just have to get used to using your left thumb more than your right for SDI, otherwise there's not much difference.

:034:

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
True, PX, but I think he knows that. It's just a TON easier to control when you don't have to manually walk-off Dair.

Hm. Yeah, you can still FF Dair if you mash down on the control stick as well. No problems there. It's how I survived that countered full-charge Fsmash you saw me get hit by in tourney. >_< (No worries, guys, I still ***** that match.)

And as for SDI... well, you just have to make due with the control stick. I've heard that tapping A at the same time helps, though. I should really start doing that to see if it works...

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Can someone go over how to SDI if I switch my C-Stick to tilts? I have my C-Stick set to smash, and use it normally when I'm getting hit by an attack with multiple hits. I also use it to fast fall d-air when I get sent up. I was thinking of switching over to Tilt Stick against DDD's since I have noticed I get a lot of opportunities to do walk off D-airs.

EDIT: I'm guessing Fast Fall D-Air will still register if done manually while being sent up by an attack?
You shouldn't use Cstick set to smash to SDI multi-hit attacks, because you have to center the c-stick before you can SDI again (unless you have jesus-like abilities or look like jesus(niddo)).

You should use the Control stick primarily to SDI because of QCDI, where you just need to move the control stick back and forth in a wedge like motion in the area where you want to SDI.

When fast falling dair, I usually just DI, then circle the control stick around to hold/mash down on the Control stick and press down on the cstick really.

With tilt stick, you can also do reverse retreating nairs very easy, which I don't think can really get punished. Actually, you can do w/e you want with nair 10x easier. The spacing is more strict vs. small characters and DDD though.

tilt stick> smash stick for Ike in just about every way.
Nair=Ike's most useful aerial, and better control of nair=better Ike

BTW: for R shield users, does anyone set L to jump? I have for like the past year and it has helped a lot. It helps me do double jump retreating aerials a lot easier and allow them to come out faster.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You shouldn't use Cstick set to smash to SDI multi-hit attacks, because you have to center the c-stick before you can SDI again (unless you have jesus-like abilities or look like jesus(niddo)).

You should use the Control stick primarily to SDI because of QCDI, where you just need to move the control stick back and forth in a wedge like motion in the area where you want to SDI.
Yea, I tend to use both Control Stick and C-Stick to do my SDI'ing out of multiple hits. I think it's a bit more effective than one or the other.

I would start practicing doing walk off D-airs with the control stick, but I have no wii. So at this moment, guess I'll just tinker around with the idea.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Kind of figured as much you would do that. Timing the cstick SDI +worrying about QCDI is too much for me, so I just focus on the better of the 2 and it's usually fine. It should hopefully be fine for you, unless it feels really awkward.

Nowadays, I find walk off Dair kind of hard to land unless they're characters that are usually in the right position and recover low a lot.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
:bee:

Anyhow: I've been thinking about changing my cstick back to tilts, and my L button to jump due to me switching my Halo 3 controls to Bumper Jumpers. I'm now used to pressing the triggers with my middle finger, and having my pointer fingers on the bumpers/zbutton. L trigger is jump in Halo 3's Bumper Jumper, might as well use that in Brawl. Would also make SH aerials a lot easier. :D

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Man. That's crazy. Game controls do NOT transfer over for me like that, ESPECIALLY across genres.
My Halo controls (and any other controls) just go RIGHT out the window when I'm playing Brawl.

Lul, I played Halo the other day, LANing in my dorm lobby, after more than a month of no playing, and I don't think I lost a single match in like 2 hours (FFA, teams, and singles). Still the best I know at UNT (which is sad when I'm so out of practice).

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
everyone should set either Y or X to grab because grabbing counts twice as much when breaking out of grabs. Theres really no reason not too unless you sheild with one of them.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Mashing grab buttons breaks out of grabs faster? I never knew this...lol
Also, I have to compensate SDI with QCDI when using C-stick tilts, works pretty good imo.
And for the people who need SDI, you can try different control schemes for different matchups and what's needed the most for that matchup. Just a suggestion.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Dang...I just realized there hasn't been a recent match of me recorded...I can't believe I forgot to save the matches vs Xyro or Lee Martin.

Dang.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Well, here's my full suggestion for how to map your buttons as an Ike player.

Control Stick = Movement. Duh.
Jump Tap = OFF. We simply can't risk accidently using our second jump while trying to aether. Our recovery is too weak for that risk, as small as it is.
L Button = Jump.

This allows the left hand to be fully dedicated to movement/attack direction only. One job = easier time focusing and muscle memorizing. You can also jump at anytime without sacrificing your attacking thumb/finger (depending on if you claw or not).

A = Attack
B = Special
C-Stick = Tilts. With L-Jump and C-Tilt, we can easy preform any aerial in any direction without having to move our thumb from Y/X to C-stick or having to pressing upwards with jump tap and then the direction we want to go. Less time wasted. And C-tilt = easier/safer time using walk-off dair. Only disadvantage is random jumping glitch...
X/Y = One of them grab, the other one w/e you want as you won't be using it.

This is so the thumb has a very minimal traveling path between options (A=Jab/Smash, B=Special, X in my case = grab, C-stick=tilts. Longer travel time = more frames wasted.)

R=Shield
Z=I wish it could be spotdodge. ;_; If you use your pointer fingers to push the trigger buttons, this button is worthless. If you use your middle fingers to press the trigger buttons (Bumper Jumper style), keep this button as grab. That way your attack thumb can travel even less distance due to no X/Y button needed, except for mashing out. lol.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom