• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk

Smash Champion
so did everyone already discover that at moderate damages (like, somewhere between 20% and 50%) that the ending frames of the n-air, in which Ragnell is behind Ike, leads very well into a b-air? Just tossing that out there; it's nice to have tactics in conversation like this...
Yep...lots of people do this...and for good reason. Granted it's not a true combo, but for whatever reason almost no one really dodges it. Ryko had a nice vid for demonstration :p

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Attack or Smash?

I’m starting to doubt the usefulness of my controller setup. Is it really worth sacrificing Smash DI for ledge hopped Nair and walk off Dair?

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I’m starting to doubt the usefulness of my controller setup. Is it really worth sacrificing Smash DI for ledge hopped Nair and Dair?
Why not have both? And if you can't, then yes it is worth the "compromise".

I actually have a question myself. Didn't figure it was threadworthy since nobody likes concise threads.

It's actually been on my mind for a while. I understand that with all characters (except maybe Wario and flying characters) that it's best to wait until absolutely necessary to use your second jump after being knocked almost to death horizontally in order to effectively recover. This should be a given if using Ike's Aether to recover, but I was wondering about Quick Draw. Are there any instances in which using the second jump ASAP and starting the QD charge would be better than waiting to use the second jump, or what have you? I guess what I'm asking is that on the subject of using your second jump, what is the best way to recover with QD and/or are both double jump methods useful?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
^I've never done any actual testing but I believe that recovering with aether is possible 100% of the time that QD will save you. Theres maybe 1 position like if the ledge is (0,0) in a graph and Ike was at (5,-2) or something like that.

the best way to recover with QD is to jump right away as you can't do anything once you start QD. The only time this might actually save you is if you just got launched you Attack to regain control jumped and QD so you don't continue flying off the stage.

And I thought that with your c stick set to attack you could still smash DI.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
^I've never done any actual testing but I believe that recovering with aether is possible 100% of the time that QD will save you. Theres maybe 1 position like if the ledge is (0,0) in a graph and Ike was at (5,-2) or something like that.

the best way to recover with QD is to jump right away as you can't do anything once you start QD. The only time this might actually save you is if you just got launched you Attack to regain control jumped and QD so you don't continue flying off the stage.
Alright, thanks. I'll try using Aether as my sole recovery for experimentation purposes to test your hypothesis of Aether always being an option, and I understand what you mean by the graph, I've been put in that situation, too. Time for some nasty experiments...

•Col•

Smash Champion
Someone answer my question though. Can you smash DI with the c stick set to attacks?
I'm fairly sure you can... I don't see why you couldn't... After all, you can still do it with the c stick set to smash attack..... However I can't be 100% sure of it, because I've never had the c-stick set to attack before....

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Smash DI can be accomplished specifically against the characters that they need to be accomplished against with the analog stick <_< easy enough to prove this by tapping left right or up while being hit by halberd's laser. Zelda is not a hard enough fight to change control schemes for and pikachu can be handled by doing it manually.

Kirk

Smash Champion
I had a FUN wifi session with my friends today, teams and singles included.

Was trying out some new stuff, and wow was it funny...and surprisingly useful.

I have a few replays saved, and I'm hoping to upload them soon...just have to ask Tapion and Asylum if it's ok to do so first.

Yeah so, extensive usage of dash attack, some Aether(yes, as an attack), and Fsmash(lol). If you can put Fsmash to good use, man it can do wondrous things. :D

I'll post here when I have a few matches up.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I had a FUN wifi session with my friends today, teams and singles included.

Was trying out some new stuff, and wow was it funny...and surprisingly useful.

I have a few replays saved, and I'm hoping to upload them soon...just have to ask Tapion and Asylum if it's ok to do so first.

Yeah so, extensive usage of dash attack, some Aether(yes, as an attack), and Fsmash(lol). If you can put Fsmash to good use, man it can do wondrous things. :D

I'll post here when I have a few matches up.
Lol... Can't wait to see these.... xD

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
A bit trivial, but I was cruising around the voice clips in the sound test, and found one of Ike saying, "Gotcha!", but I don't believe I've ever heard him say that. Any explanations?

I was actually going to make a thread about that a long time ago. Good thing I held out...:p

XACE-K

Smash Master
A bit trivial, but I was cruising around the voice clips in the sound test, and found one of Ike saying, "Gotcha!", but I don't believe I've ever heard him say that. Any explanations?

I was actually going to make a thread about that a long time ago. Good thing I held out...:p
He says that when you use Counter.

Nice vids Kirk.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I thought Smash DI could only be performed using the C-stick. Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll stick with the old configuration (Hehe "I'll stick with", I'm so funny).

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
It sounded like comet to me.

I'm updating this tomorrow with more match up vids after I look trough youtube channels so if anyone wants to get theres in nows the chance. *looks at ussi* although he probably doesn't have one and if he does its probably empty.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Huh? Are you sure? To me it always sounded like "You're open!!!" o-o It doesn't sound anything like "Gotcha!"...
He does say "you're open" when he counters. Could be some kind of an odd, rare occurence. If he says it's in the counter, then I'm inclined to investigate, just like I investigated Aether being able to get you back to the stage from just about any angle, and Sr. Burrito was correct.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
So QD is officially useless as a recovery method?
Pah! Heavens, no, you must be joking. QD is "quick" and can get you almost to the other end of most tournament stages. Besides, anyone in their right mind will see Aether coming, and it doesn't necessarily put you in a very strategic position like QD potentially can.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Anyone who is considered living can see QD coming even guys in comas, it is also a lot easier to gimp. getting to the ledge isn't a strategic position either, and QD is slow and a pretty bad approach method.

updated half of the match up section and I'm tired of looking for vids now

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
QD is fun to recover with using strategy. Cause some people will try to jump in the way, so damage them BUT still grab the ledge. I find THAT effective before it gives a good 14ish% or so damage and knocks them away. But only useful like a few times. Still risky though if they know what they're doing ;P

youtube channel o_o umm....I have vids that's about it >_> Although i've been getting mad at wifi >_>

Kirk

Smash Champion
It ain't useless imo. You just have to be smart about it. Follow the age old rule: do it when your opponent does not expect you to use it.

Ussi has a good point, it's nice to tack on some damage and still grab the ledge. Thinking back, I found myself doing this without even knowing it. But again, be smart about it, don't be killing yourself or getting gimped for it.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
QD isn’t useless when for recovering, especially against opponents with horizontal KO moves. If the Ike player is fast enough he can use it to grab the ledge of the stage, canceling the momentum.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Hm..I've got a bit of a question. So basically, I was screwing around in training mode (My Wii managed to self repair...somehow), trying to see Ike's grabs and grab releases, etc (It was a slow day). The thing I found is: If you don't pummel Bowser the moment he breaks free, Ike can do a regrab. Now, I dislike getting my hopes up, but since this was done with the CPU set to Run and Jump, and (while it requires strict timings) it appears to work even if they try to roll or jump. The question is, how does DI factor in. And, question 2, if Bowser takes to the air, can Ike get anything out of said grab release (Can he do that to anybody at all?)

just food for thought.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
You can't DI a grab break because it is your own move. Its like saying he jump up and DI to a platform. And no this doesn't work on bowser he can get in a jab before you can jab, grab, shield, ect...

On a side note I hate you my wii broke it self 5 minutes after it got repaired its ****en stupid!. I'm hoping to get it back this week after its 2nd repair.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
You can't DI a grab break because it is your own move. Its like saying he jump up and DI to a platform. And no this doesn't work on bowser he can get in a jab before you can jab, grab, shield, ect...

On a side note I hate you my wii broke it self 5 minutes after it got repaired its ****en stupid!. I'm hoping to get it back this week after its 2nd repair.
Ah, his jab is that fast?

On the side note, my friend got his 360 back from repair a while ago, but unlike you, it didn't even turn on. Hope you get it back (and fully fixed) soon.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Well when that bowser has a chain grab thing was going on people kept going your friend isn't DIing and all the purple guys where going noobs! you can't DI grab breaks.

Which actually makes sense if you think about it since its not the holder's move. It's something you do to get out of the grab.

Alukard

Smash Hero
Cpt. Falcon has an advantage against Ike? Yeah, I dun think so.
he can like chain grab him across the field for the first stock and he is too fast to hit with an f smash ... so all u really have is well placed jabs to get him off and MAYB a bair if they get hit by ur nair ... i need to get some more vids of my ike up but nyc is dead for brawl lol

•Col•

Smash Champion
he can like chain grab him across the field for the first stock and he is too fast to hit with an f smash ... so all u really have is well placed jabs to get him off and MAYB a bair if they get hit by ur nair ... i need to get some more vids of my ike up but nyc is dead for brawl lol
It wouldn't even matter if Cpt. Falcon has a chaingrab on Ike (which I don't even think he has).... Ike still has the advantage......

And wtf?

Did you seriously just say that Captain Falcon is too fast to hit with a fsmash? >_> Yeah, so is every other character... No smart player is just going to walk into Ike's fsmash... Who the heck are you playing against, computers? -_-;;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom