• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Yea, I don't think D-smash spikes. The only use I see for it is if you know your opponent's habits and you can use it to deal a good 10+ dmg. Also, you can use it as a part of refreshing your other moves.

BTW, I've been developing a new style, so give me some input on this. It's still in the works and if anything, I spam it like an idiot without a clear conscious on when to use it, but I've been thinking about using B-air as an approach. This consists of the fact that you have virtually no landing lag after a b-air and you can do several things afterwards from turning around and jabbing or grabbing, to doing another b-air. B-Air can be used as a retreating option or an approaching option and if used correctly, can be good against characters like DDD who are trying to CG you. Kimchi has seen some of it, but he could tell you that I look like a guy on crack when doing this.
The style's actually quite fine as long as you use it properly. If you're going to use B-air as a retreat or an approach, you're going to have to pivot jab properly each time. Grabbing would be a bit hard, because you'd have to turn out and grab, which would leave you a bit vulnerable. This style of course has its disadvantages as opposed to retreating or approaching Fair :X. But it is creative and I don't see what's wrong about it. Fair might be excluded in your moveset though :o.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Hmm, never knew F-air could be auto canceled by a full hop. I think I'll be trying that now.

I think D-smash can stage spike pretty easily. I'm not entirely sure though.

Is there something in particular that makes D-smash so bad? It's the fastest of all of Ike's smashes and least laggiest. It also hits behind you. Doesn't D-smash have more range than jab? Is the sole reason why D-smash is considered bad because you simply have better options in EVERY scenario it could be used? I don't use D-smash very often at all but it doesn't seem all that bad to me. No one has brought up a very decent reason, or a combination of reasons of why it's not great. Can D-smash hit under a platform? Power -> Speed

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Least laggiest?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

No, it's crazy laggy, and unlike Fsmash, it doesn't have a good pay out for it. Nair KOs sooner then the first hit of Dsmash.

Not only is Usmash Ike's least laggy thanks to 20 frames of IASA (Dsmash has the least at 2), it's a heck of a lot stronger, faster coming out of a charge, hits behind Ike faster, has more range then Dsmash, has laser priority (like MK's sword), can by Hyphen smashed.

Dsmash is Ike's third worse move, only Uthrow and QD are worse attacking wise.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Dsmash

Charge: 6
Hit: 13-16, 32-40
End: 74
IASA: 71

Usmash

Charge: 10
Hit: 25-33
End: 87
IASA: 67

You got me on the IASA frames part, but it comes out quicker and has it's place as perhaps Ike's 4th or 5th quickest move (excluding grabs and get-up attacks) which is why I asked earlier about it being used OoS. But that's about it, need valid reasoning and exactly why it's Ike's third worse move. Just because U-smash has certain advantages over D-smash doesn't label D-smash as bad. It's about what situations can it be applied to and comparing that same situation to other moves.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Actually, it does label Dsmash as bad, because it is. There are no situations out of Jab->Dsmash where it can be used. It's WAY too slow to use OoS. Jab is barely usable OoS for Ike. Dsmash has crap range compared to the rest of Ike's attacks, terrible attack power, too slow hitting the other side, and no reason to use it.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
lol @ Kishin's link: Thats why you fools need to buy a Mac.

And Dsmash is terrible, end of discussion. I'd rather have Ivy's Dsmash. At least it hits both sides at the same time and has less cooldown time.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
But Macs suck for gaming among other things :<

Not end of discussion yet, question of if it hits under platforms has yet to be answered.
If Mac sucks at gaming, why do I enjoy StarCraft, SWBF, and Halo among other games on my Mac? And it's clearly beating PCs in every other department.

And I really don't care if Dsmash can hit under platforms: I'd rather Dtilt, at least I'd get a small bit of hitstun on it so I can possibly avoid getting pwned for hitting someone underneath me.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Starcraft and Halo don't really require a great computer to run, if you're talking about Halo 1 of course. I have no clue what SWBF is. DSmash isn't too bad on a platform. I could see several followups after Dsmashing on a platform, while with Dtilt, I only see a handful.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Perhaps it could be used when you think they are going to try and juggle you with aerials maybe. The only character tall enough to get hit by D-smash on the platforms on Battlefield is Ganondorf. Dropping down in front of your opponent is rather dangerous.

Let's talk about the Ike's quick draw slide. That slide could help land an F-smash or U-smash of sorts. How is this not a useful technique if you're opponent is far away? You can slide into any ground move except for Aether and D-smash (for whatever reason). If they like to shield then slide into a grab. How is run back SH-> reverse quick draw -> sliding Smash not a useful mix-up?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Kishin, it's just way too slow and telegraphed to work. I only find smashes useful to hit people out of dodge nowadays.

I find it much safer to just stick to a nice defensive style until you see your opponent "mess up." Mess up is anything you predict, because then the match shifts over to your favor where you can start to go on the offensive and gain momentum after landing even 1 attack.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Why green, of all colors...? I thought yellow was fine, unless someone is having fun with April Fool's Day (I wouldn't be surprised... the Smash Workshop has a billion stickies that weren't there before). [EDIT: You guys suck, discussing it while I was posting this :(]

On the other hand, if anyone is curious, I uploaded some Brawl+ videos the other day. Right now I'm leaning towards Brawl+ in terms of which is more fun (Brawl vs Brawl+), but of course anything is more fun when it feels fresh and new (having your friends like it is also a plus... haha, get it...?).

Me14k (MK) vs metroid1117 (Ike) 1 - Brawl Plussery 3.3, 3/29/09 (Me14k doesn't play a good MK)
Me14k (Olimar) vs metroid1117 (Ike) 2 - Brawl Plussery 3.3, 3/29/09

halfdemon (Pikachu) vs metroid1117 (Ike) 1 - Brawl Plussery 3.3, 3/29/09
halfdemon (DK) vs metroid1117 (Ike) 2 - Brawl Plussery 3.3, 3/29/09
halfdemon (DK) vs metroid1117 (Ike) 3 - Brawl Plussery 3.3, 3/29/09
halfdemon (DK) vs metroid1117 (Ike) 5 - Brawl Plussery 3.3, 3/29/09
halfdemon (DK) vs metroid1117 (Ike) 6 - Brawl Plussery 3.3, 3/29/09
halfdemon (DK) vs metroid1117 (Ike) 7 - Brawl Plussery 3.3, 3/29/09

I'm not sure if these are "allowed" to go into the critiquing thread, since that was intended for Brawl videos.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
lol @ Kishin's link: Thats why you fools need to buy a Mac.

And Dsmash is terrible, end of discussion. I'd rather have Ivy's Dsmash. At least it hits both sides at the same time and has less cooldown time.
I actually heard that macs get viruses easier than pc's but no one bothers with them because well they are still the under dog. I will probably get a mac around august though.
Last year was worse
What was last years? peach name is lame I'm gana change to green now.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
last year's april fools was making certain words become new words like

Ike = Dwight Eisenhower

Link = Courage

Ganon = Power

Smash = Halo

Nair = HAIR REMOVER

etc..

Palpi

Smash Hero
Concerning the quick draw slide. If you wanna reverse it and someone doesn't hit you. They might have a mental problem. I have landed two counter-draws and I think that is much more cool and useful than the regular quick draw slide. Quick draw is terrible.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I actually heard that macs get viruses easier than pc's but no one bothers with them because well they are still the under dog. I will probably get a mac around august though.
That is what the PC people like to think. ^_^ It's more like if you somehow manage to find one of the .1% of viruses that actually work on Mac most people don't know what to do because it's so freaking rare. >_> Though due to the fact Mac now has over 10% of the computer share, there has been a small rise in attempts to make viruses that work on Mac.

And this whole "new color" thing is lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom