• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Wow nice!

I would love to see a vid Mr. Doom's Ike vs MK to see how he approaches the matchup.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Ok, QD sucks, I can't clank with projectiles other than Snake's nades when tossed and DDD's gordos. But I never knew QD can cancel out MK's nado o_O.

Slaps got slapped =/

San, there's some old vids with Mr. Doom vs Dojo's and Ally's MK. I can link those if you like.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
You'll never hear me saying that Quick Draw is a really good move or anything, its design is fundamentally flawed. What it isn't is trash though.

Anyway yeah Quick Draw only clanks with Snake's grenades and Gordos. I seem to recall canceling out a turnip with it but don't quote me on that.

And for all practical purposes priority is a myth but it's just convenient to say two moves have equal priority when they clank with one another. Priority itself itself depends on a number of things that Ike does very well in so if I were to say that Ike has "high priority" I wouldn't be exactly wrong. It would be smarter to say that Ike has high damage output, as well as a transcendent disjointed hitbox.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Nah, me and Brett ended up placing the same, both 33rd, one win 2 losses no byes. Mr. Doom I think got 17th, note this is out of 62, both me and Mr. Doom lost to Takeurlife. Brett lost to Holms and some ROB player that switched to D3 when he was losing. I think i just lost it later in the night, i was doing great in the morning, but when it got time for Melee1 I just wasn't feeling at the top of my game, stuff wouldn't come out, things wouldn't work, no johns I lost. Note, Melee1 went all MK, he usually starts with ICs, so then it is safe to say, Melee1 is scared of the IC killa =D lol.

EDIT:OLD Mr. Doom vs. Dojo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tL4AO--9pQ

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Recent vids are what I mean. I can't even bear to look at vids that old XD. I thought something was wrong with the way they played but then I saw the date =/

Looking at someone with a different playstyle than you play a specific character could provide me with a lot of info.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I really should stop namesearching Ike. All it leads to is me deciding not to visit any non Ike board.

The Mario boards think it's 4-6 their favor. If it's anyone's favor it's Ike's. But I don't think it's sufficiently enough in Ike's favor to even be a 55-45, much less a 6-4. I'm not going to go play Theorycraft Ike with people using the "Powershield all your moves" card, though.

I need to hurry up and make the title page for our super cool Ike guide. I should start to devote like 30 minutes of my day to Ike guide writing, heh. After this Linguistics paper, though :(.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Dang LOL, we all got screwed. You guys faced Take, who knows the Ike MU really well and I faced Holms who knows the Ike MU in and out. Mr Doom was just lucky enough to have that match a little later on.
Meh, in my other game, I just got demotivated. Like, I just didn't feel like it. It made two straight people people whose mains got beat by me.. and then just CPed D3 and a flat stage.
I mean, in the set I won, I kind of gave the dude the first game. A Captain Falcon who was.. meh. He won the first game. I 3-stocked him on Delfino. Then D3 on SV. And I had to suddenly kick it in gear at the end of the game because I wasn't winning against this mediocre player. I was at 211% and had to pull some powershielding a Gordo and punishing it with a turnaround Bair out of my *** to win.
Next set? Basically, same thing happened with that guy, except he was a little bit a better player. But by game 3 of that set, I didn't really feel like trying. I hung on the ledge a lot in that game because I just didn't feel like fighting.
I'm starting to think about using Zelda or G&W against people who CP D3 on me in tourney. I mean, if the stage is at all flat, that is.

On a brighter note, I came out positive a dollar and a box of Reese's Puffs in MMs today. I should have had a milk match along with the Reese's Puffs match.

EDIT: Yagami, I've been thinking about taking linguistics next semester. How do you like it?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Forgive my ignorance but who does Holms use? I want to say Kirby but can't be sure.

Also if / when we play we are having a cereal money match. I'm thinking Fruit Loops.

Edit: Linguistics is an amazing course so far but you really have to get into it to appreciate it at all. If you go at it from a surface level and attempt to glaze over it you are probably going to be bored to tears. I'm doing as much as I can to get into the material and learn and I can definitely say that makes it much more enjoyable. I could get into what we're learning and such as well if you'd like.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Holms uses wolf AFAIK? I know he uses him but I'm not sure about maining.
I see. I'm sure the tourney was really interesting

@Light: I have no care for a lot of those "MU ratios," especially for certain characters I need not mention. Just continue focusing on winning. It'll probably take more effort to argue with them anyways =/

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Holms has a main? Lol. Kirby, Falco, Wolf, DK, name it. He plays it.
He used Wolf against me, though, because.. well.. who the CRAP knows the Wolf match-up? Lol.

I think I'm getting worse at this game. I think the only event I have a chance at doing well in for a little while will be next month's LT teams special. Sethlon and I will be dub Ike/dub Zelda. I'm going to try hard for money in that event. Sethlon has a very legit Ike, so I feel the team has good potential.

I need to study/spend time with my girlfriend less... and play Brawl more.
Psssssshhhhhhht. Screw that, lol.

Yagami, do tell me little bits about your linguistics class. I am genuinely interested.
And Fruit Loops? They're good, I'll think about it, IF we ever meet in person and play.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
@Light: I have no care for a lot of those "MU ratios," especially for certain characters I need not mention. Just continue focusing on winning. It'll probably take more effort to argue with them anyways =/
Too true, san. Too true.

Yagami, do tell me little bits about your linguistics class. I am genuinely interested.
Well, let's see. The first thing significant we did was discuss phonetics. This is basically the study of human speech itself. We learned the significance of the various sounds, how they are produced by the body (so there is a very small amount of anatomy in the course) and we also learned the IPA. The IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) is basically a system with which you can categorize any sound you hear according to "language-free" symbols, so even if you don't know the language you can transcribe it. After this you learn phonology, which is the study of how you can encode sounds into separate phonemes and analyze how sounds are similar between words and whatnot. After phones and letters comes morphology which is the study of words and how they are composed. You'll learn to identify language rules and be able to pick apart words to better get a grasp of how a specific language works. And now we are currently doing syntax which is basically learning to analyze languages so as to be able to understand the language and sentence rules of the sentence. As you can see, you slowly build up analytic skill from phones (units of sound) up to complete sentences themselves. I highly recommend the course, in any case.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Thanks. I'm still pretty interested. If I can fit the course in and make it count towards my major, I'm pretty sure I'll take it.

By the way. I bet you guys would never guess how terrifying games of gay chicken can get. As SOON as this video goes up, I'm posting it for you guys to see. So you can gag and cringe and cry and come close to vomiting like me.
Spoiler:
People who play gay in brawl are disgustingly good at gay chicken.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
He's aggro by nature, and if you play smart and space well against him, it's not all that bad, and you can definitely win.
It's if he breaks down and plays defensively that Marth is tougher to fight.
He kinda went mindless rushdown against Slaps, but I didn't see him play Mr Doom. He's always aggro when he's confident.
I wouldn't call him a specific Ike SLAYER or anything, but he knows the match-up. He's actually known as the Pit slayer, lol. He's beaten every Pit in the south in tourney now.

Side note: Slaps and I are GARBAGE at Melee.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
He barely beat chaotic dude, he only won because he broke chaotics shield at like 40% and killed him with fully charged tipper shield breaker. otherwise he probably would have lost the 3rd game. I didn't have THAT much trouble with chaotic, it only went to game 3 when i played him cause i was gayed out of my second stock on frigate when the stage flipped. I think all i did was jab and grab him... i got off some fairs and bairs here and there, but mostly jab and grab. I wouldn't call him a slayer either, Bored can beat him, if his thumb gets better =D lol. its so late, im disoriented, im seeing double, i know i am tired so i guess ill just go to sleep, bye people =D

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
So I had a smashfest yesterday, and I believe san beat me six times in a row. Coming into the day, I felt like I had leveled up my game, and aside from my games with him, it was evident. I 3 stocked the yoshi thats on our PR in a money match, and than i JV 3'd him with lucario. and i 2 stocked one of the pikas on our PR in a pika v fox money match.

So essentially, I had leveled up and was ****** people. I even beat snakeee 2-1 mk v sonic, but i still couldnt take a game off of san. Its like i leveled up, but at the same time this ***** leveled like twice.

not fair. Ill get him back at the tourney.

tl;dr yall other ikes better be steppin it up like him.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
So I had a smashfest yesterday, and I believe san beat me six times in a row. Coming into the day, I felt like I had leveled up my game, and aside from my games with him, it was evident. I 3 stocked the yoshi thats on our PR in a money match, and than i JV 3'd him with lucario. and i 2 stocked one of the pikas on our PR in a pika v fox money match.

So essentially, I had leveled up and was ****** people. I even beat snakeee 2-1 mk v sonic, but i still couldnt take a game off of san. Its like i leveled up, but at the same time this ***** leveled like twice.

not fair. Ill get him back at the tourney.

tl;dr yall other ikes better be steppin it up like him.
Thanks =) Yeah, you were pretty much beating everyone else. Last couple tourneys I was pretty stressed from school, but I felt I was focusing a lot better. I think I learned a lot of things that day and other things to take note in comparison to online matches.

At least I learned I have a lot less trouble with marth offline though, and how to deal with ZSS better XD

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Holms uses whoever he can beat MK with. Right now seems to be Wolf at the moment. Brett, the D3/ROB player is from Kansas as well, and he gets a lot of Ike practice from me, and so does Holms. Also, don't call me lucky for facing Takeurlife later on in the bracket. Takeurlife, I'll go Ike the full set next time I play you. $5 MM? Slaps, the only reason I go MK is because I have confidence that I can beat my opponent in the MK ditto. San, watch my videos vs Ally's MK. I'd say that's closest to my play-style, even though it was a little over a month ago when I played him. One more thing: use jab more often against Kansas players or you will lose.

I'm outta here.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
So have any of you guys name searched yourself in almost EVERY board? I just did it out of boredom+curiosity and just found some posts about me and I found an old tournament result where I got top 8 :l Only 13 people were there rofl

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
So have any of you guys name searched yourself in almost EVERY board? I just did it out of boredom+curiosity and just found some posts about me and I found an old tournament result where I got top 8 :l Only 13 people were there rofl
loluloner

and i was at that old tourney too lmao
we didn't know eachother yet tho o.o,i remember watching ur ike play tho when i was still into ike.
i was like.."wow...he's pro"
now im like"wow...he SD's too much" LOLOLOL

i got 8/13 too .__.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
Done, Mr. Doom. I'll help you earn that PHD.

Also, stop downplaying me Slaps, my man. It's not that I got lucky with a shieldbreaker, it's that I implement it into my playstyle and catch people hiding in shields too much and can therefore kill them at 60.

Also, if you want to look at it this way: the only reason I was even down in percent is because I play aggressive in a campy/gay game. True fact.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
IDK how to namesearch, and even if i did they could just be saying *slaps (insert name here)* and it would come up and i would be like WTF?!?!?

EDIT:
Kinzer said:
Nickname: A2ZOMG (ZOMFG online)
Area: Rancho Palos Verdes, California {There's my answer...}
FC: 0860-3014-0898
AIM: adomnintendoguy; YIM: azazaz111one; MSN: adomnintendofreak@hotmail.com; http://www.youtube.com/user/A2ZOMG {Man, can you have anymore contacts? XD (JK)}
Why is A2 in the Ike finder thread? For someone that says Ike is so bad he should not be allowed to be in that thread, Kinzer must take him off. Lol Light he is in your state, beat him offline lol

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Can't namesearch. Name too short.
So what mixups do you guys do after getting nair?

Uptilt, short hop nair (no fastfall), bair, jab, pivot grab, full hop fair? All are pretty good depending on the character (whether jumping is a good option) or if there are platforms everywhere underneath them (where you can then attack from underneath)

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
IDK how to namesearch, and even if i did they could just be saying *slaps (insert name here)* and it would come up and i would be like WTF?!?!?

EDIT:

Why is A2 in the Ike finder thread? For someone that says Ike is so bad he should not be allowed to be in that thread, Kinzer must take him off. Lol Light he is in your state, beat him offline lol
The distance between SoCal and NorCal is so huge that he may as well be in a different state, haha.

Can't namesearch. Name too short.
So what mixups do you guys do after getting nair?

Uptilt, short hop nair (no fastfall), bair, jab, pivot grab, full hop fair? All are pretty good depending on the character (whether jumping is a good option) or if there are platforms everywhere underneath them (where you can then attack from underneath)
For the record, Nair's frame advantage ranges from +11 to +18 (non-tumble) so you might very well land stuff like Nair to Nair, especially since it takes 4 frames for airdodge invincibility to appear. The thing I seem to land the most is Nair to Jab (of course) but I'm really liking Nair to Nair recently. I even pulled off one Nair to Aether for some pretty sweet damage at like 20%.

EDIT: Apparently the easiest way to get like every Mario main ever on your case is to mention him in the Tier List thread, ahaha.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I think it's really just HeroMystic to be honest.

Nair brings you too high usually to jab, unless it's near 0 %, some lighter characters may be able to aerial us if they go high enough, which is why pivot grab may be good vs. characters with short range, laggy aerials (take a while to come out) and air dodge. Characters with fast bairs you pivot grab in front of them of course (DK, snake, lol)

I have stated this numerous times in the past, but I believe that because Ike's range is always a threat, characters are less inclinded to directly attack him and air dodge or junp when in trouble. It is actually pretty hard to approch Ike, from my experiences playing other people.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I think it's really just HeroMystic to be honest.

Nair brings you too high usually to jab, unless it's near 0 %, some lighter characters may be able to aerial us if they go high enough, which is why pivot grab may be good vs. characters with short range, laggy aerials (take a while to come out) and air dodge. Characters with fast bairs you pivot grab in front of them of course (DK, snake, lol)

I have stated this numerous times in the past, but I believe that because Ike's range is always a threat, characters are less inclinded to directly attack him and air dodge or junp when in trouble. It is actually pretty hard to approch Ike, from my experiences playing other people.
I actually agree with you on that end part. I find that if Ike has them in a non-neutral position they will very rarely attack and will often instinctively jump or airdodge. This is what makes stuff such as Up Smash baiting so effective because a bunch of characters simply can't outrange you enough to stop it.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if anybody found this out but if you run in one direction, shield then hit C-stick back while holding forward, your shield pops up for like 1-2 frames then you'll do a pivot grab as if you were doing a normal pivot. Just thought I should share this. o-o

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Tilts or Smashes seem to work fine.
It also works if you run->Shield+Attack button+reverse direction.

EDIT: Nvm, no tilts, only C-stick set to smashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom