• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Kimchi practices Kendo iirc.
And my name isn't listed so that means I don't need to change, awesome.

Also, me and San are the highest ranking Ikes on ladder with him being like 300 points ahead of me and I'm getting ***** by point decay due to not having a viable controller ;[

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
why would u wanna buy a used one that could possibly break a few weeks after for like $10-$15
when it's 20 dollars at gamestop for a brand new one .___.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Nobody in the smash community uses those cheap gamestop controllers, when John12346 lent me a spare controller, that **** was close to brand new and he didn't want to sell me it -.-

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
most gamestops dont even sell controllers, and its honestly been years since ive seen a NEW official nintendo gamecube controller.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
It's because they're not allowed to make those official Nintendo controllers in the US iirc due to copyright stuffs.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
yes.....
they probably don't see it in the bronx for obvious reasons

ha ha ha...i made fun of your hood :p

but srly,there's 2 near my house that sell it.That's where i've been buying all my controllers >.>, and you've seen my controllers lol
( and don't respond back with the broken cstick thing D:<,that controller is 7 years old)

edit: as i said,ask front desk. They have it behind the glass

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
are you sure they arent used?

and are you sure they are official gamestop store and not like ghetto wanna bes, like Gameztop or something... Ihear theres a lot of stores like that in your area...

see that? i just made fun of your hood.. =P

but yea, some like underground stores do stuff that isnt really supposed to be permitted...

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
>__>

go see for yourself lol

are you sure they arent used?

and are you sure they are official gamestop store and not like ghetto wanna bes, like Gameztop or something... Ihear theres a lot of stores like that in your area...

see that? i just made fun of your hood.. =P

but yea, some like underground stores do stuff that isnt really supposed to be permitted...
i saw this T-T,eff you lol
but meh,might as well take advantage of it lulz

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I have a manly voice, and I'm getting laid regularly. I see no need to spend effort bulking up.

Waits for the joke about TJ being my lover

Red, I have an extra white Nintendo brand controller lying around. I'll sell it to you, lol. Just come to Texas.. or pay shipping.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't want to hear things like that coming from someone that breaks a bone or gets injured any time he tries to play a sport, Mustafa.
You wouldn't know squat about how I play sports. Physical and aggressive = I get hit a lot. Getting hit a lot means I have a higher chance of injury then people who duck away from tackles and etc.

Edit: Oh, and I went to the doctor about my thumb. It's not broken. Just a partially torn ligament. Still can't effectively use it though for another 2 weeks.

Still playing for my IM team though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lol, what I'm saying is if you're fit/in shape/manly/well prepared, you don't get injured, tackles or not.
Injuries are part of the game. Some are just more injury prone than others. I'll agree that being conditioned has some effect on the outcome, but not entirely. Some athletes get hurt easily in comparison to others. More often then not, it's because they are always in the trenches and getting hit, pushed, bumped a lot.

A perfect example is receiver Anquan Boldin. He plays hard nose style of football for a receiver, and every week, he is always dealing with an injury whether it's a sprained ankle, broken nose, or concussion.

Basketball player Kobe Bryant is currently dealing with a broken index finger, a sprained ankle, and has also dealt with a strained groin muscle, and hyper-extended knee this season.

**** happens.

In my case, running full speed down the court and then taking off for a layup, only to be pushed in midair and be sent flying into a brick wall should result in a pretty bad injury for anybody. I'm thankful it was my thumb that took most of it and not something like my nose or head.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I bought a brand new controller about a year ago so when the one I use now breaks, I'll have something to use....

You might be able to buy a brand new controller if you go to an unpopular(?) Gamestop and ask if they have any in the back. That's how I got the one last year, at least. And even if they don't... They still sell used gamecube controllers, which are loads better than the MadKatz crap ones... If you check through them, you could probably find one that's still in good shape... That's how my friend got a spare one... :/

benaji261!

Smash Ace
@Bored: Yea I'm already running a mile most of the week and doing push-ups like crazy. There's no gyms near me so I can't easily get to that. Also fencing isn't manly enough? ****ing Zorro man. ZORRO. He got all the ladies and could beat anyone's ***.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Red, I bought one not too long ago from a 99 cents electronics store. It's the licensed one by Nintendo. Costs around $25. I can probably pick it up for you once I get back for break. Either that or just sell you my friend's remote used (without the springs).

And as for my form of manliness...I still have to work on that. I guess guitar, and my aggressive skates.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
You got an official Nintendo controller from a 99 cents store...? That's just straight up wrong lmao
Someone already offered to sell me a controller at PolyBrawl so I'm fine, thanks anyway guys.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Why don't you just order a controller from Play-Asia? They sell white controllers—which are far better than the regular ones, and Nintendo officially makes them—but you'll have to fork over $35. It's well worth it, though.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I'm trying to save some money o-o
:metaknight:

Okay, pretty good news. I brought my Wii over to college (if I can find solid internet then I will be able to have Ike friendlies [worst ditto in Brawl FYI]!) but it's actually mainly here so I can do some testing on Bthrow to Dash Attack. I'll do a character or two every day. I tried doing all of them in one sitting and I just couldn't finish it before I even got past the first one when I saw what I had to do, haha.

I actually have papers to write, though, so I won't be doing this super fast. On a side note I found that it is possible to get some extremely technical footstool combos with Ike but they are impractical in a real match so I sort of put those on the backburner for now. The idea of Nair to Nair to Dair sounds pretty cool, though :}

Ike has a bunch of super technical stuff now that I think about it. Like stuff that you can use the character for a year for and never even think of. Really now, did any of us see that Bowser chaingrab coming? I didn't trust myself enough that I had to ask Kirk to confirm it for me. :laugh: (Kirk...come back...)

Non-Ike stuff: I just saw Shutter Island. Pretty good movie. Abrupt ending but if you like psychological thrillers this is a pretty solid choice.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
awesome light! Counter wars! and holding Fsmashes as a mind game =D lol. Well guys I am up early to play against computers for an hour to get used to offline =D lol, then im taking shower, then heading over to the venue at 10:40. Wish me luck at tourney =] I won't need it because I'm getting 1st! =]

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Nair to nair is pretty possible, because once you pull an nair off, they either have to challenge your range with an aerial (unlikely), double jump (put them in bad position) or air dodge (easily predictable). Nair covers aerials of most characters, especially short range without much disjoint.

A lot of things I rarely see Ike players do are following up after aerials and reading the dodges. Sometimes, I can follow through with so many attacks after just 1 nair. It's actually really easy if you practice them a lot. It's especially easy on battlefield.

@slaps: I like just messing around in training mode myself, practicing buffers, stage movement, etc. I haven't played against the computer since I started brawl, lol.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
I warmed up for the tourney by playing Borderlands.
Again.
Oh, and I threw some piano practice in this time.
TJ and Noah are late. I'm about to ditch them. Actually, I'm not, because we've already missed teams. Back to Borderlands, maybe.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Nair to nair is pretty possible, because once you pull an nair off, they either have to challenge your range with an aerial (unlikely), double jump (put them in bad position) or air dodge (easily predictable). Nair covers aerials of most characters, especially short range without much disjoint.

A lot of things I rarely see Ike players do are following up after aerials and reading the dodges. Sometimes, I can follow through with so many attacks after just 1 nair. It's actually really easy if you practice them a lot. It's especially easy on battlefield.
Oh yeah, Nair to Nair juggling is super awesome (who says Ike can't juggle [trolls, that's who]) but what I mean is that if you connect with a Nair at some specific percent range you get a guaranteed footstool on the opponent. From that footstool you get another Nair / Dair / Fair. So optimally if you are a tech skill master you can go Nair -> Footstool -> Nair -> Footstool -> Dair

No joke, though, it's super hard to do. But it's guaranteed since Nair won't place the opponent into tumble until about 25%.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Ice cold, palpi. Ice cold.

I will refrain from posting anything possibly linked to an Ike metagame improvement from now on. Instead I will act like an Ike fanboy.

Fo sho'

Just kidding, pretty much but even if they are just footstool combos, they ARE combos. The more you know...

metroid1117

Smash Master
Piece posted something interesting on the Marth boards... what do you guys think about this?

Ike's Jab is actually all he has in this MU. Well, and Quick Draw and Bair.

If you think QD is a bad move, you know nothing about Ike. Leave this thread now. Quick Draw is amazing against Marth, ESPECIALLY ON FD. If Ike charges QD from a range, Marth has NO options except jump or grab the ledge to evade damage, unless he is out of range, and it still forces Marth into the air. From there, Ike releases QD and is now inside Marth, with little to no lag. QD also ***** airdodges (M2k showed me how to do this really frikken good).

If your opponent charges QD, jump onto a platform and move towards them, attacking them from above with a Fair, this will force them to QD away (which resets the situation, dun, dun), but eventually your speed will allow you to close in on Ike. Your shield is limited, so if Ike just holds QD, your shield is no good unless you're really close already in which case the Ike shouldn't be using QD.

When Ike is in the air, don't swing right away. Wait for him to do an action, then react to it. It doesn't matter if your reaction time is slow. Ike is really slow. He also can't do two aerials in one SH, so if he jumps, wait for an action.

Don't try and punish Nair on shield. Dancing Blade outspaces Jab, so you can punish Fair with Dancing Blade, and punish everything else with Dancing Blade (unless, you're fighting Renegade's Ike, in which case he will always SDI out of hit two).

You can grab the edge, and counter aether on reaction over and over. It's the easiest way to gimp Ike.

Basically, the move to watch out for is jab. Get into your own spacing, and apply pressure with Fair, Dtilt, and Dancing Blade, like any regular MU. If you get in close range, shield and roll out. Don't challenge the jab, and you'll save a lot of percent not fighting Ike's only good option.

Don't throw kill moves, and Ike will be hard pressed to ever land a hit, so long as you're playing safe and patient.
What surprises me most is how he believes that QD is not a bad move... at low %s landing it might even get you punished, but I suppose at higher %s they won't be able to punish you for landing it.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Quick Draw ISN'T a bad move. It all lies in how you use it.

Quick Draw is used to FORCE A REACTION from your opponent. It's actually a very unique move in that that charge time lets them think of something but it can't be a half-***** decision or anything or else they get hit from across the stage with a powerful (sort of) move.

Quick Draw isn't a good approach. It's not a good recovery move. It's not even particularly good against whiffed enemy attacks (though it's workable, of course).

It's meant to test out your opponent and his/her playstyle and get them to react to a move that can hit from halfway across the stage. Use it from a few body lengths away and they NEED to jump into the air to avoid it. Then they are in the air facing away from you. This is where you want them.

I've been saying Quick draw isn't trash since like 2008 but it's not like Pierce saying anything (no matter how much I agree or disagree with him) is going to change that.

Also, you'll only be punished for landing Quick Draw from like 0-20% or so. After that you should be good to go.

Super edit: I actually think that QD is one of the more solid ways to get a kill at around 105% by just baiting them to see what they do, for the record. You can try to throw out an Ftilt or you might just jump backwards and begin charging Quick Draw. It's not super strong but fully charged it still packs a punch.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I wanna try to test using QD to clank projectiles that don't have transcendent properties >.>
How the hell would QD plank with projectiles? :/ The attack part doesn't even come out unless you come close to a hurtbox or w/e.

QD is pretty bad... <_< And I'm pretty sure Marth could just shield, then keep rolling toward Ike to punish charging a QD.....

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
How the hell would QD plank with projectiles? :/ The attack part doesn't even come out unless you come close to a hurtbox or w/e.

QD is pretty bad... <_< And I'm pretty sure Marth could just shield, then keep rolling toward Ike to punish charging a QD.....
1) Try it yourself. Select King Dedede and have Ike charge and King Dedede use Waddle Dee Toss. As soon as King Dedede gets a Gordo, release. You'll see that Quick Draw and a Gordo have equal priority and QD cancels it out without any ending lag.

2) Because yeah, all Ike users are so bad that they can't punish a defensive option with around 15 frames of lag time. I've managed to nail down punishing spotdodges with Quick Draw (can't do it consistently online but meh). One of the worst things you can do against Ike is roll towards him and Quick Draw is no exception.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You know something's wrong when someone convinces you QD is a good move. It's good as long as it doesn't hit your opponent =/

It may be able to force air dodges with very specific criteria, but the time frame to ever get QD to land on a competent opponent is too strict. Competent = no stupid rolling/side dodging in place.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Yea, I don't really understand the rule of clanking when referring to QD since it has a trigger box and all but I THINK QD's swing should be able to cancel/clank with any attack as long as the opposing hitbox doesn't touch Ike's hurtbox.
Light, priority is a myth >.>

•Col•

Smash Champion
1) Try it yourself. Select King Dedede and have Ike charge and King Dedede use Waddle Dee Toss. As soon as King Dedede gets a Gordo, release. You'll see that Quick Draw and a Gordo have equal priority and QD cancels it out without any ending lag.

2) Because yeah, all Ike users are so bad that they can't punish a defensive option with around 15 frames of lag time. I've managed to nail down punishing spotdodges with Quick Draw (can't do it consistently online but meh). One of the worst things you can do against Ike is roll towards him and Quick Draw is no exception.
I had a semi-long written reply, but I found I could basically just condense it down....... QD is a bad move, just get over it. :(

And that isn't what clanking is, RedX... Light's right though, DDD's Gordo does clank with Ike's Side B. I'm almost positive it's the only projectile in the game that does.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Slaps got 33rd...losing to Melee1 eventually. Brett did better then him. Don't know by how much though. Mr. Doom took Dojo to last stock both matches...that's all i got for the Ikes. i didn't go, didn't have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom