• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are You Ready for Advertisement DLC?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm sorry but besides Mega Man 11 what AAA support has Capcom given the Switch? All they've released is a bunch of old *** ports (Resident Evil, Okami, Street Fighter 2, Monster Hunter Gen) and old *** compilations (Mega Man Collection, Ace Attorney, Street Fighter 30th, Capcom Beat-em up, Mega Man X Collection). Wake me up when Capcom makes an exclusive Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Resident Evil, etc. for Switch or at the very least some new game multiplats. Square-Enix is at least making exclusive content for Switch and porting old *** content. Capcom is just doing lazy old *** ports.
If Mega Man 11 on Switch means we get promo DLC with a Mega Man 11 stage and a new Mega Man character (Roll as a semi or, thanks to Chrom, Proto Man and Bass returning?), I'm all for it.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I think these statements mean two things:

-More modern characters chances are higher.
-Multiple 3rd parties chances are lower.

I also beleive the first DLC character will be a fan favorite’ish choice. They will want to prove to people that the dlc is worth buying, similar to mewtwo being the first last time. I dont know when the final date to buy the pass is, but they may release the first dlc before the pass expiry date as a means of selling more dlc passes.

My guess would be something like:
1. Popular character like dixie or bandana dee
2. Modern character like rex, pyra, arms, octoling, botw character, ect.
3. Another modern char
4. Blatant advertising char akin to roy, corrin,
5. Hype 3rd party choice(hopefully not minecraft steve)

Last edited:

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
I think that the DLC characters will be released kind of like this:

• Feb 2019 - Piranha Plant
  • April 2019 - Fire Emblem Character (the game will be released in the spring)
  • June 2019 - Steve/Square-Enix Character (most likely during E3)
  • Aug 2019 - Granblue Fantasy Character?
  • Oct 2019 - Steve/Square Enix-Character
  • Dec 2019/Jan-Feb 2020 - Pokémon Character (the game is scheduled for late 2019)

Dragonblaze123

Smash Rookie

• Dec 2019/Jan-Feb 2020 - Pokémon Character (the game is scheduled for late 2019)
I don't know where you're pulling these predictions from but I appreciate the enthusiasm, mate.

We can already see how Smash strengthened 3rd party, primarily through Square, who is doing a lot for the Switch, after bailing with the Wii U. Capcom has also been pretty good recently.
Also, bare in mind that the Switch is a successful console, while Wii U was not. You can't actually tell me that if Ryu and Cloud weren't added into Smash Capcom and Square would not working on products for the switch right now, that's ludicrous. And to be fair, they aren't really doing that much on the Switch anyway, neither of the companies are putting their major games on the system (that aren't tailored for, or exclusive to Nintendo consoles), they're mainly just throwing in ports and retro collections, nothing that would suggest that they're "doing a lot".

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Also, bare in mind that the Switch is a successful console, while Wii U was not. You can't actually tell me that if Ryu and Cloud weren't added into Smash Capcom and Square would not working on products for the switch right now, that's ludicrous. And to be fair, they aren't really doing that much on the Switch anyway, neither of the companies are putting their major games on the system (that aren't tailored for, or exclusive to Nintendo consoles), they're mainly just throwing in ports and retro collections, nothing that would suggest that they're "doing a lot".
Square Enix did make Octopath Traveler as a Switch exclusive.

Both have tons of ports and new releases release at the same time for Switch as other platforms, which is a far cry from Wii U getting months worth of a delay to nothing. Also, it’s not exactly like most of these companies are making that many new releases a year anyway, most of their catalogs for a year are usually collections or ports with maybe two or three games a year, so getting all the ports and maybe half the new releases is still pretty good.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
This is something that popped in my mind the SECOND I read the tweet saying that Nintendo had chosen the DLC characters; they either want to focus on their own IPs because the last wave of DLC was too third party focused and only one truly new Nintendo character and use it as a promotional bandwagon, or they want third-party and/or Indie characters that best show off their partnerships thanks to the success of the Switch.

Regarding advertisement characters and how SSB is treated as a promotional platform...isn't this the point? While yeah releasing one character as DLC to promote the latest game is cheap, Smash is basically one huge advertisement for Nintendo and their partners. Every character showcases some sort of legacy that will already make players so nostalgic they will want to relive the game again and again, or they are new to Smash, see a character they like, and then go and play their games. That is what happened with Ness back in the 64 days; no one knew who he was until he was a secret character in Smash and most people played the game because of it.

Let us not forget that right after they released the Duck Hunt trailer, they announced that the NES game would be released on the Wii U Virtual Console that same holiday season. Oh and what happened right after they announced Isabelle? A new Animal Crossing game gets announced. So Smash has always been a sort of promotional platform for Nintendo to boost their characters and their legacies.

OK, OK...but what do I think? I think we may get ONE character that's obviously a promo character because even Nintendo has to know that they need legacy characters in there too, or some really popular third party characters to draw them in, especially when fans will be purchasing the season pass for 5 of them. Although Sakurai's words of "in case you don't like the selections you can buy then individually" sounds suspect, so who knows at this point.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Recently, Sakurai posted this

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958604818657282

Confirming that a large corporation jointly chose our remaining DLC characters and not someone who actually enjoys video games enough to make a moveset for a single faceless enemy and STILL have it be full of character. As tone deaf as Pirhana Plant was, it seems we'll be getting even worse DLC down the line. Place your bets now, will it be the third parties we don't want, or 5 more mario characters?

Honestly I'm just hoping for Edelgard at this point, at least she'd have a new weapon... And of course, always remember:

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958663316615168
I love Piranha Plant, so I have no idea what you are talking about. And I am perfectly fine with "advertisement DLC" like Corrin. It's a smart business move and as long as I get another new fighter that is interesting or unique (which all 5 of the DLC are confirmed to be), then I'm happy. My 1 wish will never make it into Smash, and I have already come to accept that.

So, let the advertisement commence as far as I am concerned.

Anyway, my prediction. We are going to get 2 3rd party DLC characters and 3 nintendo characters.

Outside of Piranha Plant, we wont get any new Mario characters. We will be getting a new Pokemon character to advertise the release of the new Pokemon switch game scheduled to launch next year. We will also be getting a new Fire Emblem character to represent the new FE game. Finally, we will be getting a new Zelda rep or a rep from a new Nintendo IP.

As for 3rd Patry characters, we will only be getting 2, and the 2 most likely candidates are Banjo-Kazooie and Rayman. And that will be it.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Somehow I doubt they gave him more than 10. Every time corporate reaches down like this they force the director's hand, and as much as I would like Travis to promote his new game or a DAEMON X MACHINA giant robo, I have a feeling they're going to go for another version of Mario and Steve from Minecraft. I know I'm being negative but these are genuine likely things to happen and you know its true, after getting burned by the Grinch and the **** last direct this is the safest bet. As for YoshiandToad YoshiandToad none of those guys on your list are getting in, as much as I want Elma, Dillon, a Kirby villain or a Zelda rep beyond the triforces, they don't have a game coming up: **** was finalized today it seems, and unless we're suddenly getting Xeno X Deluxe, a new PM or confirmation that ATs can get in as DLC (they won't,. Sakurai thinks Mii costumes and ATs are 'just as good' as full-fledged fighters) all of that is blind hope bound to get crushed.
On the flipside, I'd adore Paper Mario and Steve. I think Travis and a Daemon x Machina character are ridiculous. And so, the wheel of never pleasing everyone continues.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Somehow I doubt they gave him more than 10. Every time corporate reaches down like this they force the director's hand, and as much as I would like Travis to promote his new game or a DAEMON X MACHINA giant robo, I have a feeling they're going to go for another version of Mario and Steve from Minecraft. I know I'm being negative but these are genuine likely things to happen and you know its true, after getting burned by the Grinch and the **** last direct this is the safest bet. As for YoshiandToad YoshiandToad none of those guys on your list are getting in, as much as I want Elma, Dillon, a Kirby villain or a Zelda rep beyond the triforces, they don't have a game coming up: **** was finalized today it seems, and unless we're suddenly getting Xeno X Deluxe, a new PM or confirmation that ATs can get in as DLC (they won't,. Sakurai thinks Mii costumes and ATs are 'just as good' as full-fledged fighters) all of that is blind hope bound to get crushed.
Only time we get another version of Mario was because Sakurai personally liked Dr. Mario music and Snake (our first third-party) was a personal request.

Can't see the correlation between Nintendo and those two, aside from you potentially not liking both.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I cannot imagine the first character being Fire Emblem born. Theres no part of my brain that would see that as enticing to enough fans to make them want to buy the fighter pass.

I'm not particularly optimistic that we will avoid another Fire Emblem character- but I do think there is a chance this really will be to promote other series. Chibi Robo, for example, got a lot of love in that direct, with a lot of on air time. I would not count him and his series out.
Rhythm Heaven is an evergreen idea, as well!

But then again what do I know- I wouldnt be surprised to see Impa make it in as a free DLC echo.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Sakurai thinks Mii costumes and ATs are 'just as good' as full-fledged fighters
I don't think he does. I think he just realized there is no way to realistically add in every single character that someone requested so the team finds a way to give them a nod/recognition (or in some cases it is for things that wouldn't necessarily have a lot of move-set options .) Playable characters aren't the only way to represent a game.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It's hard to imagine that for the most part, ad fighters have been from Fire Emblem. The fact of the matter is that Fire Emblem is most desperate for sales.

But now in Ultimate, it's easy to argue that Isabelle os for AC 2019, Ridley and Dark Samus are for MP4 hype, Incineroar is for Gen 7 material/Sun and Moon, etc.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's hard to imagine that for the most part, ad fighters have been from Fire Emblem. The fact of the matter is that Fire Emblem is most desperate for sales.

But now in Ultimate, it's easy to argue that Isabelle os for AC 2019, Ridley and Dark Samus are for MP4 hype, Incineroar is for Gen 7 material/Sun and Moon, etc.
Between Heroes, Fates and Awakening's successes I'm not sure they're desperate for sales at this point however.

Possibly why Chrom was selected this time as well as being an easy-ish inclusion; he's a successful beloved character from the series that even casual Nintendo fans may be familiar with now due to the aforementioned games, a Warriors title with him on the cover and his involvement with Smash 4 between the trailer, his Mii outfit and Robin's Final Smash.

It's more like they want to keep pushing Fire Emblem until it's one of their biggest sellers now it's picked up traction I feel. Not sure what it means for a Three Houses character mind.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Between Heroes, Fates and Awakening's successes I'm not sure they're desperate for sales at this point however.

Possibly why Chrom was selected this time as well as being an easy-ish inclusion; he's a successful beloved character from the series that even casual Nintendo fans may be familiar with now due to the aforementioned games, a Warriors title with him on the cover and his involvement with Smash 4 between the trailer, his Mii outfit and Robin's Final Smash.

It's more like they want to keep pushing Fire Emblem until it's one of their biggest sellers now it's picked up traction I feel. Not sure what it means for a Three Houses character mind.
And that's what annoys me. If Fire Emblem is selling so well, how come they're so quick to add fighters from it for promotional purposes? While Chrom was certainly popular in Japan, they could have just as easily chosen a more popular request such as Lyn. Chrom was added to complete the Awakening 3 main characters just to remind us six years after the game released it was still the game that saved FE. Of course, it's not a super huge issue, and because of that we probably won't get a 3 houses promotional, but it's still a bit annoying that Lyn got shafted a third time while we got another Marth clone just for kicks.

Arthur97

Smash Master
And that's what annoys me. If Fire Emblem is selling so well, how come they're so quick to add fighters from it for promotional purposes? While Chrom was certainly popular in Japan, they could have just as easily chosen a more popular request such as Lyn. Chrom was added to complete the Awakening 3 main characters just to remind us six years after the game released it was still the game that saved FE. Of course, it's not a super huge issue, and because of that we probably won't get a 3 houses promotional, but it's still a bit annoying that Lyn got shafted a third time while we got another Marth clone just for kicks.
Ever consider that Chrom may have been more popular with the Smash fanbase?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Ever consider that Chrom may have been more popular with the Smash fanbase?
I did.

(Mainly I'm just salty it wasn't Lyn.)

I'm just tired of Awakening tbh. It's sad so many people don't like Fates because it would be nice to see modern FE that's not Awakening. That being said, seven fighters is enough for me, a 3 houses promotional would just make me even more salty that it wasn't Lyn.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not putting in a clone won't score you a unique fighter.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It helps that the Chrom model they already had was higher quality than their Lyn model.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Depending on the definition of the "ad fighter", Pokemon and Fire Emblem received equal amount. Though Corrin really was the only fighter they outright added to promote a game. That being said, moveset potential is still a thing, they likely wouldn't got in otherwise.

Honestly, I think this fandom is extremely over-reactive when it comes to promotional characters. 1-5 fighters in a 70+ roster isn't a good reason a cry about soulless advertisement invading the game.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Depending on the definition of the "ad fighter", Pokemon and Fire Emblem received equal amount. Though Corrin really was the only fighter they outright added to promote a game. That being said, moveset potential is still a thing, they likely wouldn't got in otherwise.

Honestly, I think this fandom is extremely over-reactive when it comes to promotional characters. 1-5 fighters in a 70+ roster isn't a good reason a cry about soulless advertisement invading the game.
Truuuue.

Mainly all of my hate against Chrom is because I'm salty he wasn't Lyn. Although there are some advertisement moves on several series, Chrom seemed like the biggest offender to me since he was a generic Marth clone and not anything new. If they truly wanted Chrom to be special, he would be unique. But they didn't, and IMO, Chrom only stands as another uninteresting FE figure.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Truuuue.

Mainly all of my hate against Chrom is because I'm salty he wasn't Lyn. Although there are some advertisement moves on several series, Chrom seemed like the biggest offender to me since he was a generic Marth clone and not anything new. If they truly wanted Chrom to be special, he would be unique. But they didn't, and IMO, Chrom only stands as another uninteresting FE figure.
With all that Lyn bias, you might fit in well with the FE community.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I just don't like it! Why would they shaft a lovable character for three games in a row? At least she has more credentials than Waluigi....
Let's see, Smash popularity, easy to make, Awakening being perhaps the most important entry in the series, and being more important than just a thigh split dress with a character attached to it?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Let's see, Smash popularity, easy to make, Awakening being perhaps the most important entry in the series, and being more important than just a thigh split dress with a character attached to it?
Ah, true. I guess that makes sense.

I hope somehow Lyn shows up, makes a cameo, is referenced to, etc. In 3 houses to raise her merit a bit.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Ah, true. I guess that makes sense.

I hope somehow Lyn shows up, makes a cameo, is referenced to, etc. In 3 houses to raise her merit a bit.
It'd be hard to raise it much more unless they lower her collar a few inches or getting a game with her as the focus.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It'd be hard to raise it much more unless they lower her collar a few inches or getting a game with her as the focus.
This is so sad. Can we hit 50 DLC fighters?

A game with Lyn as the focus would raise a lot of hype, especially since female protagonists seem to be a big deal these days.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
We don't need more Lyn worship in the world.
Not that it matters. A lot of characters get worshiped and don't end up playable. I'm just going to sit in a corner and quietly hope for Lyn.

Just going to throw this out there, maybe in a few decades they'll try to pull of the biggest Smash roster ever, and Lyn will be playable alongside a bunch of other popular FE characters.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Does it mean we get a Pikmin 4 rep? General enemies are fair game now...

If so, yes.

Also Sylux could be cool.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I did.

(Mainly I'm just salty it wasn't Lyn.)

I'm just tired of Awakening tbh. It's sad so many people don't like Fates because it would be nice to see modern FE that's not Awakening. That being said, seven fighters is enough for me, a 3 houses promotional would just make me even more salty that it wasn't Lyn.
I'm genuinely not sure who they could have added from Fates as a single character. Maybe Azura?

Since Fates, from what I understand as someone who hasn't played it, is about two warring nations if you included say...Ryoma, I feel like you'd have to include Xander too to balance it out and that would lead to even more 'Too many Fire Emblem' complaints.

Personally I'd have been fine with Chrom, Lyn and/or Anna.

...actually Anna's wielded every single weapon type if I'm not mistaken now. Can we just use her to represent all the other weapons and be done with it?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Well, it probably won't be my favorite blue vixen, while I know ATs aren't explicitly deconfirmed, Nintendo doesn't really treat Star Fox with as much love as they should, even if SF:GP is real

osby

Smash Obsessed
Does it mean we get a Pikmin 4 rep? General enemies are fair game now...

If so, yes.

Also Sylux could be cool.
Eh, I doubt we'll see generic enemies as paid DLC but I guess it's possible.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
A fit of joy maybe.
I'm not so sure. People are still holding up the annoying *** "Hat Goomba" argument for Dee. I'm sure that if any fighter short of a human being/recognizable figure made it in, groups of people would sprout out of nowhere and claim they were a "generic figure/enemy."

Although if we had to choose an actual generic enemy, I'd go with Shy Guy (I don't count Dee as a generic enemy. No one should).

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
If some of the leaks turn out to be true, I am 100% ok with a character like Katalina, somebody like Steve would be 50/50 for me, I don't mind advertising characters. The only character that would outright irk me if he got in is Geno.

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
I have no problem with Nintendo using Smash Bros. as an advertising platform for their upcoming games. That's their prerogative. But unless we get announcements in the next 6-8 weeks, what is there to advertise? Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion, and Metroid. Pretty much all of these have gotten some kind of love in Ultimate, with Chrom, Incineroar, Dark Samus, Ridley, and Luigi getting the new Poltergust.

If Nintendo are doing promotional DLC, I only really wish it to be entirely new IPs they are working on, or for IPs that have been dormant for a while and are being revived and are not in SSB as of right now.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'm not so sure. People are still holding up the annoying *** "Hat Goomba" argument for Dee. I'm sure that if any fighter short of a human being/recognizable figure made it in, groups of people would sprout out of nowhere and claim they were a "generic figure/enemy."

Although if we had to choose an actual generic enemy, I'd go with Shy Guy (I don't count Dee as a generic enemy. No one should).
Bandanna Dee is not a "generic enemy". Regular Waddle Dees are most definitely generic.

Top Bottom