• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are You Ready for Advertisement DLC?

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Can you blame Sakurai for getting tired of character requests though? In one of his tweets, he was honoring the death of the man who voiced Incineroar in Ultimate, and people kept hounding him with newcomer requests which was very disrespectful.
I'm not looking to reopen this nor did I want an argument in the first place. Your point is made and it's a good one. The earthquake speculation made me sick too.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
You realize that pretty much every character in Smash is 'advertising' for that franchise right? Its not just the upcoming DLC characters.
People could see Mario as an ad for Odyssey, Link's new outfit is an ad for BoTW, Icineroar is an ad for Sun/Moon, etc.
New players to the series will probably look at all these characters and some will look up what games they are from and possibly buy them.

Smash is a fan service game. Always has been. That's how fan service games work.

I hope we're done with FE reps. There are so many already. I could say the same for Mario and Pokémon reps.
Personally I'm hoping that the DLC characters will either be from anew series (Like Banjo, Geno, Isaac), or from series that only have one rep so far.
there is never to many mario or pokemon reps

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I really wish these kinds of threads weren't made. Sakurai has poured his blood, sweat, and tears into directing Smash games and trying to make as many fans as possible happy, and yet he has gotten so much flack from ungrateful people. "But Sakurai isn't the only guy who works on Smash!" That's true, but he's still responsible for calling most of the shots, and any time someone complains that their most-wanted character didn't make it into the roster or a character they dislike made it in instead, they don't blame the developers or the programmers. They blame Sakurai. It's no wonder the man looks weaker as he gets older. All that fatigue from having to deal with haters has really hurt him.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I really wish these kinds of threads weren't made. Sakurai has poured his blood, sweat, and tears into directing Smash games and trying to make as many fans as possible happy, and yet he has gotten so much flack from ungrateful people. "But Sakurai isn't the only guy who works on Smash!" That's true, but he's still responsible for calling most of the shots, and any time someone complains that their most-wanted character didn't make it into the roster or a character they dislike made it in instead, they don't blame the developers or the programmers. They blame Sakurai. It's no wonder the man looks weaker as he gets older. All that fatigue from having to deal with haters has really hurt him.
What are we supposed to be grateful for? We pay for the games and thanks to us Sakurai is rich. That is our thanks. You are talking as if Smash Bros is some free open source software charity project. Sakurai is working on the game in order to make money, just like many of us will be working in order to be able to give Sakurai that money. We ought to be allowed to have some criticism on the product since we pay for it.

Besides, Smash Bros is extremely well received so Sakurai probably gets much more praise than hate.

What are we supposed to be grateful for? We pay for the games and thanks to us Sakurai is rich. That is our thanks. You are talking as if Smash Bros is some free open source software charity project. Sakurai is working on the game in order to make money, just like many of us will be working in order to be able to give Sakurai that money. We ought to be allowed to have some criticism on the product since we pay for it.

Besides, Smash Bros is extremely well received so Sakurai probably gets much more praise than hate.
I agree with what you’re saying, but a lot of these fans are some cry baby ass people. like just enjoy the game bro lol, there are a lot of dope characters.

I feel as there is a direct correlation with people who whine about characters and just being trash in the competitive aspect of it.

Only character I really don’t care about is Inceneroar because he looks corny as **** but I’m sure he’s loved by many, and I will try to play him regardless.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
I'm giving flack to Nintendo, not Sakurai. I'm pissed HE didn't get to pick the DLC directly, without any corporate manhandling. He's displayed he's willing to go back on his word and give fans what they want (sometimes) and it's obvious he loves the series.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm giving flack to Nintendo, not Sakurai. I'm pissed HE didn't get to pick the DLC directly, without any corporate manhandling. He's displayed he's willing to go back on his word and give fans what they want (sometimes) and it's obvious he loves the series.
This being a Nintendo-published game, I'm pretty sure he'd need Nintendo's OK even if he was the first to pick characters.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
This being a Nintendo-published game, I'm pretty sure he'd need Nintendo's OK even if he was the first to pick characters.
Right, but there's a very big difference between Nintendo picking and running things by Sakurai and vice versa. Sakurai could have suggested or though up characters Nintendo NEVER would have.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Right, but there's a very big difference between Nintendo picking and running things by Sakurai and vice versa. Sakurai could have suggested or though up characters Nintendo NEVER would have.
And Nintendo could have easily shut him down if they wanted to. That implies they're more open-minded than we give them credit for.

But why are you EVEN pissed?

I’m not saying Sakurai craps gold but in the grand scheme of things, having an additional 5 characters and stages is pretty great on top of the already 75 we got.

I’m not sure why people can’t get over not having the exact character they want, but it’s ridiculous. Know what happens? A character gets in you wanted, you play with them, either they aren’t good or they don’t fit your style so you go to the next one. I wanted Lucario, but after playing with him I realized that it wasn’t my thing. It happens all the time, man.

I still would love to see Lyn, but I’m super passed that as we have so many other great characters that fit the bill.

If Nintendo picking characters for the sake of advertising means anything for representing future franchises then I’m all for it, plus, it’s another character players get to dissect and experiment with. That’s awesome to me.

You don’t have to feel any way you don’t want to, but I’m just saying maybe you should step back for a minute and just relax, we don’t even know who is getting In lol.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591

most of the complaints is waaa my character did not get im, sakurai picks are stupid, that is not valid criticism to me, I went through not having my most wanted for a long time before they got in and you never heard me call his picks trash.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Maybe King K Rool was an advertising character, I mean they are still selling the original Country trilogy + 64 on the Wii U eshop

or maybe he advertised the SNES classic

****, what if I'm an advertisement?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I heard once that it actually makes sense from a business perspective for 3rd party characters to be DLC, since the other company could directly benefit from DLC sales.
I'm still kinda deflated about the banner leak not being real, because for a moment I legitimately believed that Banjo & Kazooie, my ultimate pipe dream, made it into Smash. And I was so happy. I thought that I would never need to buy another video game ever again for the rest of my life because my one wish had come true.

It's been hard coming back from that.....and I probably shouldn't get my hopes up again, but man do I want them in the game.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
^Yeah, Grinch leak believers had to bounce back fast. There was no time to accept "okay, Isaac and Banjo and Geno won't be in the game" because all of a sudden there was SPIRITS and PIRANHA PLANT and WORLD OF LIGHT, so much information to quickly replace what we thought was true! It was truly a mentally jarring time.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I like to slap the leakier just because that, there prob would not have been as big of a backlash if the grinch leak did not exist.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Elma should get in just so I can finally beat her in a game

she's too damn hard in XC2 challenge mode

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
there is never to many mario or pokemon reps
Although I agree with you to some extent, you may want to post that in the Unpopular Opinions thread. After Incineroar and Plant, I'm noticing this stigma against Mario/Pokemon newcomer requests. Specifically against Mario because of Plant.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
So, it's guessing who will be 5 DLC characters. Right?
Umm.....

1.Maybe one character from Xenoblade chronicles.
2.And one villain from fire emblem. As a trend we can see inclusion of villain characters..
3.Lightening from FFxiii? Maybe?
4.In my thought, one character will be from less popular franchises within nintendo to make it popular again.
5.Maybe Waluigi?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah, all five of the DLC characters are cheap advertisements from games no one should care about. Nintendo is awful.

...Oh, wait a minute. I completely forgot that we literally know NOTHING about the first DLC character.

Look, I know you're disappointed that Nintendo is selecting the DLC, but have a little blind faith. You can't bash them and say their choices suck when we have nothing to go off of yet. Give them a chance. You might actually like what they come up with. Besides, it's not like Sakurai's picks are always met with a warm welcome. We likely would've been disappointed with of few of his DLC characters too, just like a few people were with Isabelle and Incineroar.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
The upside is each advertisement has to be worth $5. I'd pay $5 for representatives of other genres in gaming. Kerrigan: Queen of Blades (RTS), Diablo (dungeon crawler), KOSMOS (rpg), Ezio (stealth).
How many people would buy the echo chamber voted characters or generic characters from games they've never played? It's in their and our best interests to make the choices interesting.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The general opinion on DLC seems to be this:
1. Square rep
2. Microsoft content
3. FE advertisement rep
4. Bandana Dee
5. Xenoblade rep/Dixie Kong?

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
It's almost like it's a product that people are allowed to criticize or something.

If they don't like, then okay; the only issue I take is when they stick around in discussion only to bash the game.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
It's just my opinion...If my list above isn't true.
This time DLC characters are chosen by Nintendo.
This can mean all five characters can be chosen from another company.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
After support Nintendo for so long, since the WiiU actually with ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Rabbids games now with Mario+Rabbids and many other great games for their systems, I think it's nothing less than fair that Nintendo supports Rayman, an iconic Ubisoft character, as one of the new fighters.

I think it's also safe to say that one of the newcomers will be a Pokemon of the new game, but I think it will be one of the leasts inclusions, if not the last.

The others, I have no idea, but I'm fine with the idea of adding more recent characters or characters from games that are coming, to keep the game updated with recent games too.

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
After Incineroar and Plant, I'm noticing this stigma against Mario/Pokemon newcomer requests. Specifically against Mario because of Plant.
Yeah, there were even users in your threads where they were saying that it's okay for Mario and Pokemon to have another rep because they are big boy franchises. It was only after PP and Incina where users were saying that they didn't need another rep. If it was Geno and Decidueye than this stigma wouldn't exist. Just shows you how hypocritical smash fans are.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Yeah, there were even users in your threads where they were saying that it's okay for Mario and Pokemon to have another rep because they are big boy franchises. It was only after PP and Incina where users were saying that they didn't need another rep. If it was Geno and Decidueye than this stigma wouldn't exist. Just shows you how hypocritical smash fans are.
"But Geno hardly counts as a Mario character and is owned by Square Enix!" is probably the excuse they use for why it would be okay for him to get in but not any other Mario character. He still counts as a Mario character though no matter what people try to tell themselves.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
mario and pokemon can't have to many reps, there is the fanbase to support the inclusions, believe it or not a pokemon or a mario character will appeal to more ppl then a lot of first party suggested here.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
mario and pokemon can't have to many reps, there is the fanbase to support the inclusions, believe it or not a pokemon or a mario character will appeal to more ppl then a lot of first party suggested here.
All depends on who the character is, hence Plant getting in over Geno and Incineroar getting in over Decidueye.

D

Deleted member

It's true. I know who Geno is, but none of my friends do. They know what a Piranha Plant is, though.

And it's fine to have oddballs in the base roster, but for DLC, I actually think we won't get the obscure types, and Piranha Plant is a good example. The reason being, obviously, that people need to be incentivized to purchase the DLC, and you're not going to purchase something you don't know or are familiar with. Typically. Think about Smash 4 DLC: veterans people wanted back, third parties that would get people hyped and make headlines, oh and there was Corrin too.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
It's true. I know who Geno is, but none of my friends do. They know what a Piranha Plant is, though.

And it's fine to have oddballs in the base roster, but for DLC, I actually think we won't get the obscure types, and Piranha Plant is a good example. The reason being, obviously, that people need to be incentivized to purchase the DLC, and you're not going to purchase something you don't know or are familiar with. Typically. Think about Smash 4 DLC: veterans people wanted back, third parties that would get people hyped and make headlines, oh and there was Corrin too.
I don't speak for everyone, but I think it's silly not to purchase the DLC for a game like Smash to get the full(er) experience. Think about it: This is a game famous for beating your friends with your favorite fighters. You're bound to run into people who use characters that you don't, so if you're going to be ready for their bag of tricks, you need to familiarize yourself with them.

Also consider that characters people don't know about can still purchase those fighters out of morbid curiosity. From what I can tell you, there wasn't a single character in Smash 4's DLC that I was particularly attached to, aside from Ryu to an extent (the only fighter out of the 7 whose games I've grew up with). That still didn't stop me from obtaining the other 6.

EDIT: People who would go out of their way to purchase DLC for fighters they're unfamiliar with would be supporting the game's post-launch development and encourage future DLC, which may contain 1 or 2 other characters they're familiar with. With the scarcity of known characters to add to the roster, we're left with mostly lesser-known choices, so getting a couple of those examples is inevitable.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
All depends on who the character is, hence Plant getting in over Geno and Incineroar getting in over Decidueye.
to be honest PP is more iconic then geno, I rooted for him for the fans but you can not deny more ppl know about PP then geno

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I think many people vastly underestimate how much of the Smash fanbase is like us.

Yeah, there's the kids and the casuals, but they're less likely to buy the DLC.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
to be honest PP is more iconic then geno, I rooted for him for the fans but you can not deny more ppl know about PP then geno
Heh heh, ehehehe, heh heh.

[Snort]

I think many people vastly underestimate how much of the Smash fanbase is like us.

Yeah, there's the kids and the casuals, but they're less likely to buy the DLC.
Also this. I have a 13-year-old cousin who likes Pac-Man and wants Bandana Waddle Dee as a playable character. A good kid, but he never purchased any DLC for Smash 4. In fact, a lot of kids don't even know most Pokemon past the original 151. The ones buying DLC are us and the people who, again, are morbidly curious about those characters in the first place.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The sad thing is, some people aren't willing to accept that, which is creating this big divide in how people appreciate what the dev team has done.

D

Deleted member

Piranha Plant is genius. Sakurai needed to come up with a bonus character relatively quickly to provide an incentive to purchase the game in the first two months, but wouldn't have wanted to use a character that people felt should have just been in the base game, nor one that was prestigious enough that people would have paid money for in a DLC pack (bundled with stage and music)--it's perfect, honestly.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I dont trade Piranha Plant for any other. It's one of my favorite inclusions. And I really think Geno and Waluigi are overrated. Geno is a side character from a niche game from a very far past, and the other doesnt even have his own game or is important in any game he is. There are better characters that deserves more representation or that will be more recognizable/fun for more people. There must be space for new characters even for the game to be able to appeal to new kids that borne after all these old titles even existed. The old players of Smash apparently looks too much to the past and their childhood, and forget that from their childhood, the game is already full of characters and new generations need representation too. Geno and Banjo, they are not characters that kids and young people today have any relation to them. And Waluigi is so irrelevant for games that people seems to want him there just to feel complete, like if we have a Mario and a Wario, so if we have a Luigi we MUST have a Waluigi.. just because of that, and not because the character really deserves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom