• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are You Ready for Advertisement DLC?

SuperSmashLover

Smash Cadet
If Dixie Kong was paid DLC, I'd be questioning Sakurai's thought process tremendously. King K Rool as base unlockable, but having Dixie DLC makes no sense at all.

As a FE fan, I can say with confidence we don't need anymore reps from that series. However, Mogisthelioma is not wrong in saying Lyn is tremendously more popular than Chrom overall. Considering the existence of FE Heroes however, perhaps Anna is the better choice? At the very least, she won't come off as a "fanservice for the wrong reasons" character. But then I remember Bayonetta is in Smash. Best course of action would be to surprise us with a Three Houses rep to promote the new game, and try to sell us on a unique character design (that isn't a swordsman please)

Square Enix character might end up being a Dragon Quest character (perhaps the protagonist who's face looks way too much like Goku/Gohan, as he is the most recognizable) if Sora is not the chosen one.

Vergeben has never outright suggested that Minecraft will be represented as a character, so please stop freaking out about Steve. While I would hate his inclusion instead of Banjo on principle alone (being that this is supposed to be a NINTENDO ALL STARS fighting game, but that argument died with Sonic), we have to remember that Nintendo makes games for everyone. The kids love Minecraft, so it makes business sense for both MS and Nintendo. Also, did we forget about that cross-play stuff already?

I would like to propose the question of whether there are any Kirby characters other than Bandanna Dee who could be added instead in case Bandanna Dee is not the choice? Worst case scenario I imagine is that regular Waddle Dee is added instead as a compliment to Piranha Plant being an iconic generic enemy. I have faith Sakurai won't do something like that.

A new Pokemon rep would be overkill at this point, but it only feels right to follow through. Although it may be best to wait and see how people respond to the new starters instead of going off of "cool design" only. A massively appealing "good guy" Pokemon to counter the "bad guy" Incineroar" makes sense.

I'll stop the rambling now.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
I would like to propose the question of whether there are any Kirby characters other than Bandanna Dee who could be added instead in case Bandanna Dee is not the choice?
Every major Kirby character.

In all seriousness, any of the DLC Star Allies, as well as Dark Matter Swordsman, would all fit and be actual canon villains for the series, which it doesn't really have yet.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
In all honesty it was kind of just a ****** tweet in the first place. He kind of implied "Hey if you don't like the picks it's not gonna be my fault so redirect the blame." when all he had to say was please stop harassing me. Done.

He also didn't have to say anything about harassment and just take the high road.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I'm not so sure. People are still holding up the annoying *** "Hat Goomba" argument for Dee. I'm sure that if any fighter short of a human being/recognizable figure made it in, groups of people would sprout out of nowhere and claim they were a "generic figure/enemy."

Although if we had to choose an actual generic enemy, I'd go with Shy Guy (I don't count Dee as a generic enemy. No one should).
I actually thought Goomba would of been a good addition (thought almost impossible in chance before :ultpiranha:) cause they are more iconic and recognized than half the cast. Piranha kind of popped their chance. But I think this could be a fun way to score another Pikmin rep. The 4th installment has been up in the air for a long time being worked on and has some very eager fans. Even a generic enemy or boss coming from it would be more known that what many people on here hold onto as "obvious" or "deserving" picks.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
In all honesty it was kind of just a ****** tweet in the first place. He kind of implied "Hey if you don't like the picks it's not gonna be my fault so redirect the blame." when all he had to say was please stop harassing me. Done.

He also didn't have to say anything about harassment and just take the high road.
Fault? He wasn't acting defensive, he was just saying Nintendo picked the characters this time and whining in random twitter posts won't change anything.

Also, if someone gets harassed, they have every right to express it.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
No, I agree. What I'm tryin to say (without knowing how bad the spam was) is he didn't really have to say anything about who chose the DLC. It feels like he wanted people to remember he's just a guy who's good at his job.

osby

Smash Obsessed
No, I agree. What I'm tryin to say (without knowing how bad the spam was) is he didn't really have to say anything about who chose the DLC. It feels like he wanted people to remember he's just a guy who's good at his job.
From what I've seen he was informing us about how character selection process was like. Giving fans backstage info is not a bad thing. I didn't read it as bragging, but it's true that he's good at his job and there is nothing wrong for him to acknowledge it once in a while.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
The kids love Minecraft, so it makes business sense for both MS and Nintendo. Also, did we forget about that cross-play stuff already?
I would actually prefer Steve over Banjo if only one of those two characters were chosen. Plus, after seeing so much of the Smash community bash Steve and his fans, I would prefer Banjo not get in so those kinds of people aren't rewarded.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd be ok with just about any character as long as they play well. Even if they're characters that won't stand the test of time, smash has had loads of those like Sheik so they wouldn't stand out

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
We got a huge roster already. Any new characters is just a bonus at this point. Sure, I would like to not see another Fire Emblem character, or another Mario character, but if that is what we get, it is what it is.

I'm more focused on the balance if anything, then I'm not too fussed from where they come from.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Advertisement DLC is going to end up being Fire Emblem, some dumb JP exclusive none of us know about, or both.

Here's to hoping that never happens!

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Advertisement DLC is going to end up being Fire Emblem, some dumb JP exclusive none of us know about, or both.

Here's to hoping that never happens!
If the Fire Emblem rep is unique and stands out from the cast... I welcome them. Claude has potential to me. Dimitri and Edlegard to a lesser degree, but they still have the potential with lance and axe respectively. Then whenever we get cuts, we can start with :ultroy::ultlucina::ultchrom: who offer less or/and :ultcorrin: who seems fully hated and too similar in ways to Robin being a white haired gender neutral avatar sword fighter with a magical quirk added to it.

Last edited:

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
The only way I’ll deliberately not purchase a certain fighter is if we get a character from one of those Japanese mobile games (Granblue Fantasy, Dragalia Lost), one rumored to have a character as dlc. I’ll accept pretty much anything else within even remote reason.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If the Fire Emblem rep is unique and stands out from the cast... I welcome them. Claude has potential to me. Dimitri and Edlegard to a lesser degree, but they still have the potential with lance and axe respectively. Then whenever we get cuts, we can start with :ultroy::ultlucina::ultchrom: who offer less or/and :ultcorrin: who seems fully hated and too similar in ways to Robin being a white haired gender neutral avatar sword fighter with a magical quirk added to it.
First: I can see one of them getting cut but I'm not sure all of them. They are prety popular and easy to make.
Two: Corrin isn't fully hated, it's just their haters are way too loud.
Three: If Corrin and Robin are too similar, might as well cut Ike and Rosalina for being too similar to Marth and Peach.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
First: I can see one of them getting cut but I'm not sure all of them. They are prety popular and easy to make.
Two: Corrin isn't fully hated, it's just their haters are way too loud.
Three: If Corrin and Robin are too similar, might as well cut Ike and Rosalina for being too similar to Marth and Peach.
Well I said start with, indicating they'd be the most expendable out of the Fire Emblem cast. They wouldn't all in theory have to be cut, but they would be the reasonable starting spot.

Ike was the star of two games and has both the Fire Emblem and Smash fanbase that probably shadows all the other Fire Emblem characters being one of the most popular lords. :ultike: has very little reason to go. Though I personally greatly prefer RD Ike which helps him stand out from Marth as a guy that had a very rough life and upbringing. It actually saddens me that PoR Ike is more popular cause he loses that appeal looking more like another generic FE swordsman.

Meanwhile Corrin isn't that popular in Fire Emblem as far as I have seen and is hated by many Smash fans. They're in a much worse spot than Ike, Marth, or Robin are. And I'm not advocating the hatred on them to be clear, I personally have very little experience with Smash 4 and Corrin which leads me to not have any spite towards them! But of the unique FE cast members, I do feel they'd be the most likely to get the boot.
Rosalina was the most expendable Mario character added till we got :ultdaisy: and :ultpiranha:. I never appreciated how safe they went with her design as she really does look like another version of Peach when I saw her in Galaxy. Sometimes designers really seem to fail at creativity. Besides that, she does have a weaker presence and history to the Mario franchise than anyone else besides Daisy if you exclude sports and part spin offs. Even Piranha Plant has been around and persistent more so than Rosalina.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I hope they’ll be fun to play as and possibly be new main material, but ad DLC is kind of inevitable I guess.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The base roster is already everything what I wanted and more, so I don't care about the criteria they use to choose characters. If they are fun and interesting, I'll buy them.
Characters chosen for the sake of advertisement isn't always a bad thing, and Nintendo has every right to decide who goes in because it's their properties after all. They also must have a ton of suitors knocking at their door asking to put their character in. And is not like they are disregarding Sakurai's say in the matter, Nintendo has enough respect for the man to let him handle himself for the most part.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I said it before: There's nothing morally wrong with characters that promote stuff, especially considering a lot of old fan favorites are pushed so they can promote a potential sequel/remake.

Last edited:

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
I said it before: There's nothing morally wrong with characters that promote stuff, especially considering a lot of old fan favorites are pushed so they can promote a potential sequel/remake.
I'm not saying it's immoral at all, and if they actually are announcing a remake for a fan favorite property as well as a character people want in Smash, that'd be amazing. I am however saying there is a high possibility we get a character like Dragalia Lost Guy or a Moblin. Its not what the fans want, and that could affect sales and their reputation, and will generate perfectly justified outcry.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Confirming that a large corporation jointly chose our remaining DLC characters
You realize that that same large corporation makes or approves all final decisions for games they're publishing, right? Like, say, the Ultimate roster that Sakurai proposed?

I'm all for letting artists work unimpeded, but let's stop ourselves short of clumping Nintendo's executives in the very negative "a large corporation" pile alongside EA and the like.

D

Deleted member

Two things could happen:

-Nintendo goes for the LEGO route (balance Fan-service with stuff that would bring them benefits)

-Nintendo uses DLC to promote new games or introduce new franchises outside of Japan

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think what he means is that they're visually similar. It's the long lasting argument that there are too many white fighters in Smash. I do agree with you that it's a bad argument, though.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
You realize that that same large corporation makes or approves all final decisions for games they're publishing, right? Like, say, the Ultimate roster that Sakurai proposed?

I'm all for letting artists work unimpeded, but let's stop ourselves short of clumping Nintendo's executives in the very negative "a large corporation" pile alongside EA and the like.
They aren't as bad as EA of course. Never said that. But at the end of the day a corporation is what they are, and while they do have a solid ethos, they do care about money and they are NOT always on the ball when it comes to fan demand. We pay for their products and while I do love most of their products and give them praise, they can and do fail and we should be sure to let them know when they do so they can improve.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
They aren't as bad as EA of course. Never said that. But at the end of the day a corporation is what they are, and while they do have a solid ethos, they do care about money and they are NOT always on the ball when it comes to fan demand. We pay for their products and while I do love most of their products and give them praise, they can and do fail and we should be sure to let them know when they do so they can improve.
But that's the thing about fan demand-- different fans demand different things. I hated that Cloud was put in the game, but hey, lots of people were glad he was in. That was a decision that had to go through Nintendo. A subjective view can be applied to every character in the game regardless of the decision-making process that led to it, from the three Links to the Piranha Plant.

As far as letting them know when they fail to meet our individual standards, I mean... Just don't buy the DLC?

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
But that's the thing about fan demand-- different fans demand different things. I hated that Cloud was put in the game, but hey, lots of people were glad he was in. That was a decision that had to go through Nintendo. A subjective view can be applied to every character in the game regardless of the decision-making process that led to it, from the three Links to the Piranha Plant.

As far as letting them know when they fail to meet our individual standards, I mean... Just don't buy the DLC?
In the internet age, where information is more easily gathered and perused, I think letting my thoughts be known is also an effective force, especially when combined with the voting power of my wallet. I do agree, however, ultimately everything is opinion based, which is why its important to let opinions out so what thoughts are more popular, IE what will please the most people, can be heard by Nintendo.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
In the internet age, where information is more easily gathered and perused, I think letting my thoughts be known is also an effective force, especially when combined with the voting power of my wallet. I do agree, however, ultimately everything is opinion based, which is why its important to let opinions out so what thoughts are more popular, IE what will please the most people, can be heard by Nintendo.
But "what will please the most people" still isn't really monitored by social media activity. We have to remember that the people perusing this forum, and the internet as a whole, are still in the minority of who overall will be buying Smash Bros., just as we're in the minority of who will buy a Switch.

I'm not saying don't share your opinions. By all means, do. It's one part of Nintendo's whole effort to understand and appeal to their customers. But what I am saying is that, beyond all of that, making your opinion heard through your wallet is inevitably what will give Nintendo any indication at all of your opinion.

If someone hates gotcha games but spends $100 on one anyway, the latter will be what Nintendo listens to, not the former. It's why game industry norms now, like day one DLC, games-as-a-service, always-online, etc., are industry norms despite social media circles hating it.

Vote with your money and the companies will listen. Social media they just kind of tolerate.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I'm not saying it's immoral at all, and if they actually are announcing a remake for a fan favorite property as well as a character people want in Smash, that'd be amazing. I am however saying there is a high possibility we get a character like Dragalia Lost Guy or a Moblin. Its not what the fans want, and that could affect sales and their reputation, and will generate perfectly justified outcry.
Why should there be outcry though? How are fans still not satisfied with the huge roster we have now and all the fan favorites that were included like Ridley, Simon, and K. Rool? Seeing comments like yours only reinforces the stereotype of Smash fans being entitled and ungrateful.

Last edited:

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
Why should there be outcry though? How are fans still not satisfied with the huge roster we have now and all the fan favorites that were included like Ridley, Simon, and K. Rool? Seeing comments like yours only reinforces the stereotype of Smash fans being entitled and ungrateful.
I wanted none of those characters. I appreciate Simon as a new series and a third party character, and happy that Sakurai had listened to fans, but uh, its not like any of that is free. Those vets comers (sans ICies, Snake and maybe Wolf) are obviously just clones they're trying to make us think are full-fleged characters. I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth here; this is a 60$ product I'm buying and I'm well within my rights to say whatever I want on it, and buy or not buy it. I'm still going to buy the game and I appreciate the (minor, if you really think about it) gameplay changes, its just that some stuff was obviously rushed. I am not 'ungrateful' for voicing a complaint for a product. Smash ain't free and it ain't a gift.

Sorry if that's rambly or ranty but I've come to really dislike this 'ungrateful' stuff. Sakurai isn't my dad. He's a man doing his job to the best of his ability.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Yeah I just don't see Nintendo using deep cut fan favorite characters unless they have something to gain from it. I feel like they know their DLC is going to sell gangbusters regardless of who they pick. Pretty sure most the hardcore Smash fans that make all the noise about what characters they want will buy the DLC just to get more out of their favorite game, with some exceptions, so who they really have to focus on is the casual fan who might not buy every character they put out. So they'll have to use something more recognizable.

My pessimistic predictions are another Fire Emblem character, maybe another Pokemon, Bandana Waddle Dee, someone from their Gacha phone game, and a third party that will benefit Nintendo. And that's my best case scenario. I hope I'm super wrong and the characters are actually all the frontrunner most wanted characters, with assist trophies even getting upgraded to playable status.

D

Deleted member

I have no idea who we'll get, but I'm also expecting "advertisement" or promotional DLC. Smash has done it before.

I'm honestly expecting another FE rep considering we've got another FE game coming out soon, and really I could see a character from any recent or upcoming Switch game, even Metroid Prime 4. I do agree that we may get a character not on anyone's radar, like from a mobile game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I have no idea who we'll get, but I'm also expecting "advertisement" or promotional DLC. Smash has done it before.

I'm honestly expecting another FE rep considering we've got another FE game coming out soon, and really I could see a character from any recent or upcoming Switch game, even Metroid Prime 4. I do agree that we may get a character not on anyone's radar, like from a mobile game.
Unpopular opinion, but I don't expect another Fire Emblem character. Sakurai only accepted putting in Corrin because apparently development team personally requested them and tried to show they can be unique with their shape-shifting.

I can't really see Sakurai doing the same with Three Houses.

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
Honestly everybody who was a must have newcomer is already in the game, so "advertisement" characters don't affect me at all.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One thing I want to mention is that often the people who complain about "advertisement" DLC ascribe to Nintendo what Sakurai would do. "Oh, Nintendo is going to give us Fire Emblem and Pokemon."

First off, Sakurai is who is responsible for giving us 7 FE characters. People like to point out "No no no, it was Sakurai's team who did it. Sakurai was concerned about the number of FE characters." Which is exactly why he OKed the 6th Fire Emblem character. And people will often blame GameFreak for the Pokemon additions. Well, here is what Sakurai said about Incinaroar.

When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon, and after Pokémon: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon came out I took another look at it. That resulted in Incineroar being chosen. I wanted to try making a pro-wrestler type character at least once! Incineroar is voiced by the late Mr. Unshō Ishizuka – of Professor. Oak fame – who passed away back in August; he had recorded new lines just for this game. May he rest in peace.

In other words, it's Sakurai that specifically made room for Pokemon over other newer characters. If anyone is guilty of pushing Fire Emblem and Pokemon, it's Sakurai, not Nintendo. Even if you say Nintendo will definitely give us a new Pokemon or Fire Emblem character, then it would be the same as with Sakurai as he would have done the same as well. You're odds are a lot better with Nintendo on this on.

D

Deleted member

One thing I want to mention is that often the people who complain about "advertisement" DLC ascribe to Nintendo what Sakurai would do. "Oh, Nintendo is going to give us Fire Emblem and Pokemon."

First off, Sakurai is who is responsible for giving us 7 FE characters. People like to point out "No no no, it was Sakurai's team who did it. Sakurai was concerned about the number of FE characters." Which is exactly why he OKed the 6th Fire Emblem character. And people will often blame GameFreak for the Pokemon additions. Well, here is what Sakurai said about Incinaroar.

When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon, and after Pokémon: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon came out I took another look at it. That resulted in Incineroar being chosen. I wanted to try making a pro-wrestler type character at least once! Incineroar is voiced by the late Mr. Unshō Ishizuka – of Professor. Oak fame – who passed away back in August; he had recorded new lines just for this game. May he rest in peace.

In other words, it's Sakurai that specifically made room for Pokemon over other newer characters. If anyone is guilty of pushing Fire Emblem and Pokemon, it's Sakurai, not Nintendo. Even if you say Nintendo will definitely give us a new Pokemon or Fire Emblem character, then it would be the same as with Sakurai as he would have done the same as well. You're odds are a lot better with Nintendo on this on.
I don't want to discount what Sakurai has said, but Sakurai also goes back on his word and I think sometimes he does his own version of 'PR speak', in a way that only he can. What I mean is, while it may be true that Sakurai wanted to do a pro-wrestling character, what he may not have told us, and which may equally be true, is that Nintendo wanted him to include another Pokemon rep. He just doesn't mention it.

You may think that's reading too much in between the lines, but I do think we should consider all factors.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Can you blame Sakurai for getting tired of character requests though? In one of his tweets, he was honoring the death of the man who voiced Incineroar in Ultimate, and people kept hounding him with newcomer requests which was very disrespectful.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I don't want to discount what Sakurai has said, but Sakurai also goes back on his word and I think sometimes he does his own version of 'PR speak', in a way that only he can. What I mean is, while it may be true that Sakurai wanted to do a pro-wrestling character, what he may not have told us, and which may equally be true, is that Nintendo wanted him to include another Pokemon rep. He just doesn't mention it.

You may think that's reading too much in between the lines, but I do think we should consider all factors.
He clearly states that "I" left one character frame open for Pokemon. Not that one was left open (which would leave some ambiguity). I don't think it's PR talk about of how clearly he states it. I think you might be giving Sakurai the benefit of the doubt.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
You realize that pretty much every character in Smash is 'advertising' for that franchise right? Its not just the upcoming DLC characters.
People could see Mario as an ad for Odyssey, Link's new outfit is an ad for BoTW, Icineroar is an ad for Sun/Moon, etc.
New players to the series will probably look at all these characters and some will look up what games they are from and possibly buy them.

Smash is a fan service game. Always has been. That's how fan service games work.

I hope we're done with FE reps. There are so many already. I could say the same for Mario and Pokémon reps.
Personally I'm hoping that the DLC characters will either be from anew series (Like Banjo, Geno, Isaac), or from series that only have one rep so far.

Top Bottom