• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are You Ready for Advertisement DLC?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
It seems series tradition that at least one AT from an older game becomes a fighter in the next, as seen by Mac and Belle.

I wonder in the long term if most of these frustrations some bear over character choices have less to do with the characters themselves but rather how many are viewing ATs almost like a Death Sentence in these past 10 years.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Assist trophies work best with characters like Andross, Dr Wily and Knuckles: cool and beloved side characters who you'd never expect to be playable anyway.
But most of them are: Tiki, Ashley, Waluigi, Midna etc.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
You weren't going to get them in this console generation anyway, though. It's not like not being an AT magically makes your character DLC.
That's the issue; they were never going to make base, but now they can't make DLC because they are assists. Maybe Nintendo could force Sakurai out of that line of thinking but that's probably not in their best interest. I completely agree with Sabertooth Sabertooth ATs should be characters who wouldn't function as fighters like Wily and Andross, Nikki, Nightmare, etc.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That's the issue; they were never going to make base, but now they can't make DLC because they are assists. Maybe Nintendo could force Sakurai out of that line of thinking but that's probably not in their best interest. I completely agree with Sabertooth Sabertooth ATs should be characters who wouldn't function as fighters like Wily and Andross, Nikki, Nightmare, etc.
They are just five (or say, six) DLC characters and Assist Trophies that could potentially work as a fighter are more than that. Saying they shouldn't make them assists, just because some/one of them possibly maybe somehow could be DLC doesn't make much sense.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Chrom might have a word with you.

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
Chrom might have a word with you.
I feel like Echoes and people included in something like a final smash or spirits are both edge cases. While Sakurai gave the impression no spirits would be playable (he said 'we wanted to include everyone in the game and out idea is spirits' which pretty heavily mirrors the AT and Mii Costume stuff) we have spirits of base characters so... I'm unsure, I guess.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
nothing stopping them from just making a character both assist and playable if they want them to be.

Oddball

Smash Lord
nothing stopping them from just making a character both assist and playable if they want them to be.
But that's not possible according to the fan rules that were made up by people that don't work on the game and that get broken constantly by Nintendo!

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
But that's not possible according to the fan rules that were made up by people that don't work on the game and that get broken constantly by Nintendo!
Look, I'm basing my assumptions on stuff Sakurai has said and implied, and while we haven't had that rule broken by DLC I'll admit we've only had one game of DLC. No one's been able to show up twice in a match until one minor exception, this game, that was obviously simply kept the same just to cut down development time. Ultimately it is their choice but this seems like a damn reasonable assumption.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Look, I'm basing my assumptions on stuff Sakurai has said and implied, and while we haven't had that rule broken by DLC I'll admit we've only had one game of DLC. No one's been able to show up twice in a match until one minor exception, this game, that was obviously simply kept the same just to cut down development time. Ultimately it is their choice but this seems like a damn reasonable assumption.
and I am not faulting you for that it's a perfectly logical theory, but I if Nintendo wanted to make an AT playable the AT wont stop them.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I think Nintendo's roster just depends on what they're trying to advertise. The characters can be from games we don't know about yet, as far as ports go anyway. They could be huge fan favorites that Sakurai chose because he felt they are best for promotion purposes. As it is right now, Nintendo taking the helm means they need to select characters that make sense from a business perspective. For example, Bandana Waddle Dee would have been fine as a base roster newcomer, but if Nintendo were to choose between Simon and BWD, they would have probably saved Simon for DLC given his significance to video game history (like Ryu, Cloud, etc.).

If Nintendo is smart about what characters they provided Sakurai with, we could potentially see characters like Cloud, Snake, Ryu, Mega Man, etc. The only Nintendo characters left are either Assist Trophies, should-have-been-in-the-base-roster-already choices, or from unreleased games.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I still think people are too confident they will be strictly or mostly for advertisements.

Plus, let's remember Sakurai chose Roy.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I mean this could be a great opportunity to advertise an n64 classic featuring a somewhat unexpected comeback for one of the most popular series on the platform.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
and I am not faulting you for that it's a perfectly logical theory, but I if Nintendo wanted to make an AT playable the AT wont stop them.
That is very true, they can do whatever they like with the game (even throw in non-gaming characters if they wish). I am unsure if they really would want to go through the extra trouble of programming some sort of work-around post-game to keep the AT from showing up while the playable character is in play, remove the AT/content they put the effort and resources in including in the first place, or risking players being confused by having the same character and AT running around at the same time. Judging by behavior in the past, I have to say all three seem unlikely in my opinion. Not saying it's impossible, but just doesn't seem like something they would do.

ps_

Banned via Warnings
Here's a refresher on who Wii-U selected for their DLC.
  • Bayonetta
  • Corrin
  • Cloud (with stage)
  • Ryu (with stage)
  • Roy
  • Lucas
  • Mewtwo
Three returning veterans, two big name guest stars, a blatant promotional character and the alleged ballot winner. (I say "alleged" because there's some evidence that suggests Bayonetta was going to be slapped into Smash long before the ballot ended. I'm inclined to believe it because I personally hate Bayonetta.)

Subtract the three returning veterans (Ultimate has everyone here, after all) and you're left with: two big name guests, a promotional character, a character Nintendo wants to convince you is super popular and one empty slot. Is Nintendo bound to this exact pattern? No. But it does provide us some insight on their priorities, which I feel would be a safe source of guidance when it comes to predicting Ultimate's batch of DLC. With this in mind I think we'll get:

• At least two very well-known guest stars. I really hope it isn't Minecraft. (see: Ryu, Cloud)
  • At least one character Nintendo uses to blatantly promote an unreleased game. (see: Corrin)
  • At least one character Nintendo uses to promote an existing game or franchise that they believe has potential. (see: Bayonetta)
  • One character from the actual Smash ballot results. I believe K. Rool won the ballot itself, east and west, with all the veterans nipping at his heels, but surely they weren't the top 10.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I’m okay with this actually. My only hope is that a new Kirby game appears so Bandana Dee could get in since he’d be a perfect advertisement character for Kirby’s modern titles, as I doubt Sakurai would ever do anything significant like a character for modern Kirby.

I also thinks this opens the door for more creative picks overall. Even if the franchises aren’t exactly loved by the Smash community, series like ‘Minecraft’ or even a mobile franchise may have enough gaming history to get them through. Rayman and Rabbids may also have a bigger chance since both are getting new titles. While yes, it is a bummer that we are most likely getting ad picks, I think interesting characters could get in. Plus some under appreciated franchises may get some love, I mean Metroid Prime does have a sequel coming out, and so does Pikmin and Yoshi.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I still can't get over the fact that they blatantly wasted potential for a fighter over someone lame like Corrin so they could over hype a poorly written Anime game.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
I still can't get over the fact that they blatantly wasted potential for a fighter over someone lame like Corrin so they could over hype a poorly written Anime game.
At least Corrin is a good character with interesting mechanics (stun projectile, insta-pin).

But I agree that Fates is otaku trash.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
At least Corrin is a good character with interesting mechanics (stun projectile, insta-pin).

But I agree that Fates is otaku trash.
Try this:
Works around 40%:
Full charge dragon shot, footstool, down air, insta pin.
Neat combo that kind of proves you can have a FE fighter without them being a clone.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I think we're getting Bandana Dee. Little guy isn't even a Spirit. That alone is fishy.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
We didn't saw every single Spirit in the game.
Why hide that one though. He’s extremely popular yet has no assist or spirit in that direct unlike Isaac, Shantae, or Shadow, and there wasn’t any out right deconfirmation like Rex.

Why keep holding these fans and not give them something?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm of the mind that Sakurai is the type of person to try and make every possible wanted character a spirit at the least, on the off chance he won't be able to make them playable down the line and wants them to at least be represented in some way.

Last edited:

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I am ready for advertisement DLC. lol

At the end of the day, every character in smash advertises their franchise/developer to an extent so I don't get why advertising is a bad thing. If it's because people think Nintendo will be pushing for more of their newer characters from recent or upcoming titles then I guess that makes sense. But I think we're jumping to conclusions here. Nintendo is still a business and they're going to pick characters they believe will get them the sales. I don't think that necessarily means that excludes fan requests.

I do think this is gonna lower chances of 3rd parties however.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
For some reason I have never even considered an Octopath Traveler character, or heard anyone else do so. It's totally possible.

Dragonblaze123

Smash Rookie
I'm doubtful that Nintendo would explicitly 'sell-out' DLC character slots to other companies as glorified promotional material. However, they might use them to strengthen and forge new business deals with other companies if the character in question fits into the Smash roster, but right now it's all guesswork.
Only time will tell.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I'm doubtful that Nintendo would explicitly 'sell-out' DLC character slots to other companies as glorified promotional material. However, they might use them to strengthen and forge new business deals with other companies if the character in question fits into the Smash roster, but right now it's all guesswork.
Only time will tell.
I mean Bayonetta and Ryu were clearly promotional advertising Street Fighter V and Bayonetta 2.

Even Cloud had his remake announced around that time.

I personally see nothing wrong with this though. These characters are going to be big and recognizable either way, so why care. Rayman could obviously be a promotional character for Rayman 4. Slime for a new entry of Dragon Quest. God forbid...Sans for Undertale. Maybe even Steve for the newly announced Dungeons.

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
With Nintendo being the proposer of the DLC fighters, I'm convinced that there will be a next-gen Pokémon and a Fire Emblem Three Houses character, just for the sake of promoting both games. Hell, in the past we've received promotional FE characters not once but twice.

Minecraft's Steve makes so much sense since there is an installment of said game in the Switch, and, well, Minecraft is HUGE, wheter we like it or not.

Add Square-Enix's new fighter that Vergeben says and that would leave us with a remaining character (Hopefully is not that mobile-game swgirl)...

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
My prediction remains the same:

1. Square rep (be it Sora, Chrono, Geno, Slime, or somebody else)
2. Minecraft Steve
3. Katalina from Granblue Fantasy
4. Fire Emblem Three Houses rep
5. Pokémon Gen 8 rep

lordofwood98

Smash Apprentice
if promotian dlc means dreamworks i will burn down a house so boss baby gets in (joke) (yes this is a joke i am very sorry to anybody who is offended or not pleased by this let me know and i will delete it

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
As someone who loves Bandana Dee, a quick reminder we had the same logic when he didn't even get a trophy in Sm4sh. It could mean nothing.
Now they know his popularity. I’ll admit, Sakurai hasn’t done modern Kirby justice, so hopefully Nintendo picking the DLC will heighten the chances of Bandana Boy.

Kirby has new titles like every two years, so BD can easily promote the new Kirby title of 2018 or 2020.

Dragonblaze123

Smash Rookie
I mean Bayonetta and Ryu were clearly promotional advertising Street Fighter V and Bayonetta 2.

Even Cloud had his remake announced around that time.

I personally see nothing wrong with this though. These characters are going to be big and recognizable either way, so why care. Rayman could obviously be a promotional character for Rayman 4. Slime for a new entry of Dragon Quest. God forbid...Sans for Undertale. Maybe even Steve for the newly announced Dungeons.
I can see you argument with Bayonetta 2, seeing as Nintendo now have close ties with the Bayonetta franchise, but I would have to disagree with Cloud and Ryu. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Cloud had literally never appeared in a Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo console, at the time of his release (the FFVII port hadn't been announced yet) and there is nothing to suggest that the FFVII remake is coming to a Nintendo console either. Nintendo, so far as we know, had nothing to gain marketing-wise by putting Cloud into Smash, outside of Smash itself.
It's the same with Ryu, not only is SFV not on any Nintendo console but his moveset is based around his appearances in SF2 & SFIV, not SFV (see focus attack). Again, there is very little financial incentive for Nintendo to add these characters to Smash, outside of them being good character ideas, unless they were literally being paid to add them in, which there isn't really a whole lot of evidence to suggest.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I can see you argument with Bayonetta 2, seeing as Nintendo now have close ties with the Bayonetta franchise, but I would have to disagree with Cloud and Ryu. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Cloud had literally never appeared in a Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo console, at the time of his release (the FFVII port hadn't been announced yet) and there is nothing to suggest that the FFVII remake is coming to a Nintendo console either. Nintendo, so far as we know, had nothing to gain marketing-wise by putting Cloud into Smash, outside of Smash itself.
It's the same with Ryu, not only is SFV not on any Nintendo console but his moveset is based around his appearances in SF2 & SFIV, not SFV (see focus attack). Again, there is very little financial incentive for Nintendo to add these characters to Smash, outside of them being good character ideas, unless they were literally being paid to add them in, which there isn't really a whole lot of evidence to suggest.
Well you did mention Nintendo selling out DLC slots to advertise 3rd party, so this would make since. Sure, the titles are not on Nintendo, but they do strengthen relationships between Nintendo and their dwindling 3rd party at the time.

We can already see how Smash strengthened 3rd party, primarily through Square, who is doing a lot for the Switch, after bailing with the Wii U. Capcom has also been pretty good recently.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
We can already see how Smash strengthened 3rd party, primarily through Square, who is doing a lot for the Switch, after bailing with the Wii U. Capcom has also been pretty good recently.
I'm sorry but besides Mega Man 11 what AAA support has Capcom given the Switch? All they've released is a bunch of old ass ports (Resident Evil, Okami, Street Fighter 2, Monster Hunter Gen) and old ass compilations (Mega Man Collection, Ace Attorney, Street Fighter 30th, Capcom Beat-em up, Mega Man X Collection). Wake me up when Capcom makes an exclusive Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Resident Evil, etc. for Switch or at the very least some new game multiplats. Square-Enix is at least making exclusive content for Switch and porting old ass content. Capcom is just doing lazy old ass ports.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm sorry but besides Mega Man 11 what AAA support has Capcom given the Switch? All they've released is a bunch of old *** ports (Resident Evil, Okami, Street Fighter 2, Monster Hunter Gen) and old *** compilations (Mega Man Collection, Ace Attorney, Street Fighter 30th, Capcom Beat-em up, Mega Man X Collection). Wake me up when Capcom makes an exclusive Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Resident Evil, etc. for Switch or at the very least some new game multiplats. Square-Enix is at least making exclusive content for Switch and porting old *** content. Capcom is just doing lazy old *** ports.
Strengthening third parties doesn't necessarily mean they make more stuff for Nintendo consoles, just that they're doing better with fan demand thanks to recognition brought by Smash. And many of those "old *** ports" were nonetheless highly desired and appreciated on the Switch, whether due to accessibility or portability.

Top Bottom