• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are women underestimated in tourneys?

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Emily, who was once considered the world's best female smasher recently re-entered the smash scene in Australia's RAMBO Melee/Brawl tournament in Melbourne.

She came 5th in Melee singles I think. Which is pretty good for somebody who went inactive for a couple of years. Although, she's also played with some of the world's best, so it went without saying that she'd probably finish high.
Emily is back? *smiles*

kirbstir

Smash Lord
I never underestimate their abilities to hand out free redbulls to all the players.

On a similar note, how can the imaginary be underestimated?

*rim-shot*

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Ive never really played a good girl in melee. If you play melee and can wavedash, l-cancel, and all the other high level techniques, and you live in socal post me a message cuz id love to play
... ... ...

Nope, sorry there's no one that plays Smash competitively in that area.

Double post, crap

Alou

Smash Cadet
Sadly, in most video games females are generally underestimated, but I generally don't care what gender/race/whatever you are.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
And what does that mean, please? Explain so I understand better.
1. femal gaming groups *shakes head* "play offs you kidding me"
2. they do become good but never on a male pro level
3. there girls

uhh those are the only ones i can come up with sofar i gots more coming just let me gatherr my thoughts. :pikachu:

soap

Smash Hero
You should've seen Azen go to town on TacoNinja at *Pound* 3. There was no taking her lightly. v_v It almost made me cry.
thats my little sister lol.. i asked her who he went on her, she was like "Marth".. i was like "****", she said she did like 10%. she shudda asked him to go yoshi or some ****

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
thats my little sister lol.. i asked her who he went on her, she was like "Marth".. i was like "****", she said she did like 10%. she shudda asked him to go yoshi or some ****

That is hilarious.

XD.

I would add to the conversation about how girls are underestimated...but it's pretty obvious already.

I have played forkgirl in tournament probably over 10 times. I never underestimate her, but that's because she actually has skill haha. And she plays with caveman like everyday X.X.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
That is hilarious.

XD.

I would add to the conversation about how girls are underestimated...but it's pretty obvious already.

I have played forkgirl in tournament probably over 10 times. I never underestimate her, but that's because she actually has skill haha. And she plays with caveman like everyday X.X.
hey hylian you in F5

april_fest

Smash Rookie
Women are weak but they are 7 times witter then men.. Remember witter not wise.. he he he

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's nothing to physically or psychologically prevent women from being as good as men in videogames (by nature, not nurture). In fact, they supposedly hold certain skills men don't (like being better at multitasking, though I've never found it hard to do 5 things at the same time).

It's just that not many women do because videogaming is still new to women, especially Competitive fighting games.

I personally could care less who it is I'm facing. I don't take anyone lightly, I'm go all out on them. The one thing I'll do is switch to Sheik (because my Sheik sucks) for our 2nd match/2nd and 3rd match if I 4-stock or close to 4-stock them in the 1st match and it's quite clear it wasn't due to sheer dumb luck or really bad choices but that they just aren't very good. I don't do this often, especially not at "real" tournaments (I often do it at tournaments at anime conventions because the majority of attendées don't actually play Smash Competitively).

But never on first glance. Man, woman, child, I'll dsmash them into infinity just to be safe and show respect. I wouldn't want anyone to sandbag me based purely on first impressions without even playing them first.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Women are weak but they are 7 times witter then men.. Remember witter not wise.. he he he
I assume you mean "wittier" when you say "witter." Let's take a look at a dictionary definition, shall we?

American Heritage Dictionary said:
wit·ty

adj. wit·ti·er, wit·ti·est

1. Possessing or demonstrating wit in speech or writing; very clever and humorous.
2. Characterized by or having the nature of wit; funny or jocular: a witty saying.
3. Quick to discern and express amusing insights or relationships.
4. Entertainingly and strikingly clever or original in concept, design, or performance: a witty sculpture; witty choreography.
I'll leave it to you to figure out what I'm trying to say here.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I feel kinda bad by saying that I underestimate a women Brawling against me, but this one girl who i faced in a tourny (using ZSS, how predictable) almost beat me because i wanted to not go my best, until she stepped up her game, when it became a challenge.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
I feel kinda bad by saying that I underestimate a women Brawling against me, but this one girl who i faced in a tourny (using ZSS, how predictable) almost beat me because i wanted to not go my best, until she stepped up her game, when it became a challenge.
I take no offense to you saying that, for it is only an opinion. But there are many formidable female brawlers out there that take their gaming seriously, such as I, in a friendly competitive way, of course.

Nelo Vergil

Smash Master
Only reason people underestimate women is because of the old game stereotype where it was kids-teenage boys who played them, and the new one isn't much better, that they only play casual games, and the ones who do play casually at those. Just because your a women means nothing at something like video games, all it depends on is the persons mind, and fast fingers help to

S.P.I.C. TOM

Smash Ace
In general they are underestimated and sometimes a joke because of the male/female ratio is great. I mean MLG is treating every female that plays a game special when I think it is not needed. Why would anybody want to glorify the fact that your just a female that's stupid. I haven't seen any female on MLG place well at all and they still get glorifed for their sex it's dumb. I would only show respect when you place well or if you stand toe to toe with me in any match. I see everybody as a gamer when they walk in to a tourney I treat nobody different in any way.

gnosis

Smash Lord
What does it mean to 'underestimate' them? If it means simply thinking they're bad before playing them, then no, not that often.

I mean there's not that many of them, and even fewer which are any good, so it's usually not underestimation when people assume a girl smasher sucks. It's usually accurate. Usually.

Saying people underestimate girls is like saying people underestimate Idaho, that's all I'm getting at.

ynomrahnsguht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HarmonyFlame
3DS FC
0387-8828-8761
my @sswhipins take lightly to noone.

come to think i recently made a 8 year old cry in a tourny....

>:]

ynomrahnsguht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HarmonyFlame
3DS FC
0387-8828-8761
thats exactly what happened to me at one of my last tournys,
all the guys looked down at me in my pool, so they underestimated me.
I was only one point away from getting put of pools but sadly i got stuck in
a pool full of spammers, so i didnt make it :(
but i stil ***** 80% of them :)
woman ****** guys should be legal.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Next time I go to the US, I'll disguise myself as girl. Hopefully, most people will have forgotten what I look like and fall for it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
But women are sharper. Which makes for better strategy.
See my sig. Male or female, the Greatest Melee Tourney Since Brawl Came out needs moar players.

(SHAMELESS PLUG FTW)

Next time I go to the US, I'll disguise myself as girl. Hopefully, most people will have forgotten what I look like and fall for it.
>.>;

Make your voice really squeaky and heavily affected by an accent.

Then you'll REALLY start to fool people.

Smooth Criminal

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
In general they are underestimated and sometimes a joke because of the male/female ratio is great. I mean MLG is treating every female that plays a game special when I think it is not needed. Why would anybody want to glorify the fact that your just a female that's stupid. I haven't seen any female on MLG place well at all and they still get glorifed for their sex it's dumb. I would only show respect when you place well or if you stand toe to toe with me in any match. I see everybody as a gamer when they walk in to a tourney I treat nobody different in any way.
Then perhaps a duel with me would serve you quite well, Sir Tom?

Dr Phil xX

Smash Cadet
to be honest, whenever i go against a girl gamer i've never played before i never play my hardest. but once i see that they are no joke, i turn on the after burners and play my hardest :)

forkgirl

Smash Lord
well for brawl, theres no reason to underestimate girls, small children, people who've never played the game...

I'm sure most girls are underestimated in melee though because its difficult to get really good at. And a lot of girls who enter tournaments are just someone's sister or gf...most people arent used to being around girls who are serious about the game.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
As far as Melee goes, it's quite complicated. Guys don't necessarily underestimate girls. I think it's more along the lines of "If I completely destroy this girl she might think I'm a douche bag." type of thing ... Then again, another person might choose the latter and respect the girl's decision to want to be a competitive gamer and treat her like any other serious gamer. I just think that it's a guys inner perspective that tells him to stay a gentlemen regardless of the situation. And since he's in the situation of facing a female smasher, me may at least allow her to make the matches look close. I don't really think it's right, but that's the way it is, with MOST guys. Oh yeah, this of course would primarily apply to guys that are straight and not ... slanted? (sorry trying to be polite, don't beat me up).

Oh and as far as Brawl goes, forkgirl pretty much summed it up in the first sentence ...

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
But women are sharper. Which makes for better strategy.
Sharper as in more intelligent? I'm pretty sure that's not true. Some surveys show women with a higher average IQ. Some show men with the higher IQ. Many show there being either no difference or very little.

I think women are underestimated in tourneys because we don't see many women placing highly in tourneys (obviously because of the higher numbers of male competitive gamers). Guys simply aren't expecting to run in to a girl who could destroy them because we almost never see this.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
Then perhaps a duel with me would serve you quite well, Sir Tom?
I changed my name to this current name. Once I get a wii with internet access then sure. If you are going to catacylsm in NJ come up to me and challenge me there. I am giving you the pleasure of playing me and probably getting owned by me.:laugh:

pyrnight

Smash Journeyman
well for brawl, theres no reason to underestimate girls, small children, people who've never played the game...

I'm sure most girls are underestimated in melee though because its difficult to get really good at. And a lot of girls who enter tournaments are just someone's sister or gf...most people arent used to being around girls who are serious about the game.
You must be terrible at brawl then.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Women are the inferior race. They always have been, they always will be.

Never trust something that bleeds for 7 days and doesn't die.

Top Bottom