• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are there tourney players that DON'T use C-stick?

Young Kai

Smash Rookie
Outta curiosity. I'm still learning stuff in Melee so I don't know if a specific technique or whatnot depends on C-stick.

Hostility

Smash Ace
Nothing depends on it, isai didn't use Cstick at all. Most players just find it more comfortable to use. Just do whatever feels right.

Tamoo

Smash Master
the second best over here in the UK doesnt use it

you just basically have to weigh up the advantages for yourself between using the cstick and not using it nd see which suits you best

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
The C-stick isn't absolutely necessary for every situation, but it is better than the control stick in almost every situation. I've actually written up an explanation on the advantages of using the C-stick in another thread, so I'll just quote myself here:

me said:
Let's go over the advantages of the C-stick:

Smashing: If you use side A to smash, you will ALWAYS have a few frames of charge lag on startup. The C stick will always make you attack faster. The C stick also makes it faster and much easier to smash out of a wavedash or walk.

Aerials: When you move the control stick in the air, it makes your character move in that direction a bit (DI). If you use the control stick + A to do an aerial, you will have to also DI in that direction. If you use the C stick, you can be DIing in any direction when performing the aerial, even the opposite direction which is very useful in some situations. Using the C-stick also makes it very easy to do uairs without using your second jump, and dairs without fast falling.

Rolling and Spot Dodging: You know how you can move your shield around when you move the control stick slightly? Well, if you roll away from your opponent or spot dodge with the control stick, you will move your shield off of your body just before the roll or dodge leaving you unnecessarily exposed for a moment. The C-stick can be used for rolling and spot dodging, and is much better as it does not move your shield so you have less of a chance of being hit.
Another one I've noticed since writing this is that you can use the C-stick to drop from the edge without fast falling or DI-ing away from the stage, so you can ledgehop farther in and also drop into a wall-jump faster.

So, pretty much, if you can use the C-stick for something, you probably should be.

hubble

Smash Ace
Everything is possible except for one or two things really.

DIing aerials in goofy ways, and buffering/frame perfect rolls are easier with c stick.

Do what you want.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
wait isai didnt use the c-stick? wth... he was still hella fast.. well i think you should use the c-stick because to shuffle you must use the analog stick to to fast ergo making your shffl faster

SOLAR

Smash Ace
All decent smash players use the C stick. There is no reason not to. When I was new I never used the c stick, but the instant I started short hop fastfalling my downairs I had to. Just get used to doing it, it provides a lot of advantages, and there's no reason not to.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
yeah,but its ok if you use it only for aerials/dodging,i use it for all my aerials except neutral airs(that with A most times,but i use z on special situations) and smashing under pressure,just to not epic-fail a smash and do a dash attack or something like that

Lovage

Smash Hero
it's all preference. i know several players that don't use c-stick (all of them were formerly ssb64 players) and they are pretty good. it doesn't really make any difference. except c-stick smashers are a minimum of 1 frame faster than if you use the a button

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Mango doesn't use the C-stick, last I checked.

Do whatever's comfortable for you.

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
How the hell can a jiggly aerial weave without using the C-stick..

._.
Just Flick the control stick while hitting A for the aerial you want. Then just Move the control stick where you want to right after doing so. But for retreating Aerials, its a must to Cstick

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I think I heard somewhere that Isai doesn't use c-stick. That, and any marth players who can't space very well. :/

joeplicate

Smash Master
All decent smash players use the C stick. There is no reason not to. When I was new I never used the c stick, but the instant I started short hop fastfalling my downairs I had to. Just get used to doing it, it provides a lot of advantages, and there's no reason not to.
a pretty decent amount of players don't use c-stick
phil (from norcal) doesn't use cstick, but he's still way faster than me and whoops on me whenever we play

it's pretty useful for different situations, though
in general, just do whatever you think it works best for

Rappster

Smash Ace
often after i play single player mode, i don't use the cstick for a match or too, but that has a noticibly detrimental effect on my gameply

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I myself am a rookie, but I'm so adapted to doing A combinations that I preety much will neve useth C stick.

Vsin

Smash Apprentice
I guess all threads like these can be summarized with the response:

"If you can do it, it works."

Pi

Smash Hero
Just keep in mind that the C-stick is NOT a BAD thing.
Nobody will look down on you for not using it. It's expected
People who don't use it are usually 64 vets who have gotten use to playing without it
Or people who have been mislead into think it was bad.

AXE 09

Smash Master
i used to not use the c-stick at all, and back then, i still considered myself "decent" too. i think that there are pro players who don't use C-stick. what about all that crazy stuff you see people do in 1 player mode where they can't use the C-stick?

i use the C-stick sometimes now for ariels and if i wanna crouch cancel a smash, but i used to be just fine without it. i think it's just a preference kind of thing

joeplicate

Smash Master
i love using tap jump

except I always break in my controllers so I can't do it anymore with fox:(:(:(
so I learned how to do everything with the buttons

Top Bottom