• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] No Johns Monthly! April 19th!! Project M ! (Nanuet, NY)

Alukard

Smash Hero
You and anybody double Peach is scary...same goes for VaNz...so the two of you together? I'm more afraid of that than M2K and Cactuar as a team.
LOL are u serious?

anyway me and dionis are taking doubles money matches =]

Ryan-K

Smash Master
peach is only scary in teams because she lasts long and lets beast characters like fox exploit her life tank and random set ups with like turnips or w/e lol

double peach is just hard to kill

Alukard

Smash Hero
thats not wat i'm getting at .... its just if i would dare to say tec0 and vanz suck(which i wont cuz they dont ... just an ex.) i think ame will respond faster then jaden or teccy lol

Alukard

Smash Hero
well anyway i hope people really work with me at the tourney ^_^

so we can have draft crews to a full extent =]

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
il help all i can. if my ride doesnt mind, il also see if i can get there a tad early to help set up everything for maximum space (for ppl and tvs) at the venue, and il also help out with whatever else. what time r u gonna get to the venue?

Wife

Smash Lord
Looking forward to this.

Except I can't imagine there'll be time for 4 tournaments, especially if you are starting at 1:30. Do you have any tricks up your sleeve that I don't know about?

Alukard

Smash Hero
no i dont plan on doing pools that was my trick ... only because i think draft crews is a fair trade to anyone ... pools are better for the players that pay 10$ and probably lose twice since they are new ... but then they get to b recorded and play in the amazing no johns bi weekly draft crews =] ... and especially with the amazing wife commentating that is going to go down ... this will b epic ... also big apple 3 a.m. commentating lol

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
no i dont plan on doing pools that was my trick ... only because i think draft crews is a fair trade to anyone ... pools are better for the players that pay 10$ and probably lose twice since they are new ... but then they get to b recorded and play in the amazing no johns bi weekly draft crews =] ... and especially with the amazing wife commentating that is going to go down ... this will b epic ... also big apple 3 a.m. commentating lol
I am ok with this, but make sure it is seeded properly. Pools would serve better for the overall anmc thingy, but Draft Crews are just too good.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
your not doing pools? you should seriously, no, highly consider doing this so the results are very accurate, being an anmc event and all. even with pools, there should be time for draft crew battles. just have a bunch of ppl help you run it, i kno like me and scar would be more than willing to help u out
pools will run fast if you do a couple things right, assign no more pools than there are tvs, so every pool is going at the same time. bring pre printed pool sheets (i can do that) which saves a lot of time from writing em out, start making the pools and ending singles reg when doubles is still going on, so singles can start right away when its over, be really strict with getting matches done, etc. tell the pool captains to make sure there is always a match being done. plus the venue normally lets us stay late, so its not a prob. if anything, draft crews being a tad later helps as some ppl will leave before it so we dont have like 40 ppl wanting to do it which is a bit much lol.

also cancel low tier doubles, theres no need for that. pools is WAY more important imo (atleast for the anmc one)

Wife

Smash Lord
Haha thanks Alukard.

Umm, I def think going straight to brackets is a good idea. Like Smash 4 Cash baby, like the old days.

Still, even still, I'd vote for starting earlier. Don't get me wrong it's only cuz your extra 2 tournies sound fun, and the way things go it sounds like a challenge. I feel like ppl always plan draft crews but sadly they never happen.

UltimaScout

Smash Lord
Haha thanks Alukard.

Umm, I def think going straight to brackets is a good idea. Like Smash 4 Cash baby, like the old days.

Still, even still, I'd vote for starting earlier. Don't get me wrong it's only cuz your extra 2 tournies sound fun, and the way things go it sounds like a challenge. I feel like ppl always plan draft crews but sadly they never happen.
Psh, we will drop singles brackets before Draft Crews. That's how the Atlantic North rolls :lick:

/No Johns

Scar

#HarveyDent
Haz I would MM you but... you wouldn't make any money there pal.

@ Alulu, low tier doubles? Should be a joke.

@ Chibo, if there are pools crews def might not happen,

@ Wife, you're right, even without pools crews might not happen. This time it prob will though, we're pretty nuts about them at No Johns Biweeklies.

DCScribZ

Smash Apprentice
If there are pools, there is literally a 0% chance that crews will happen. It actually can't. The entire Smash community at the venue would need to be moving with the same heartbeat. I agree that this should probably start earlier - even an hour earlier would help.

Oh my god I love Pakman's Terry Tate .gif in his sig! Those commercials were the funniest ****.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
Ugh I wanna go to this soo badddddd. T_T

I promise you guys, I'll get down there and let you have your way with me one day. :[

phish-it

Smash Champion
I completely agree with Chibo on doing pools, since this is a circuit event. It's entirely possible for draft crews to take place with pools too, it's just that everyone needs to cooperate and not procrostinate on registering and organizing the crews. I always enjoy doing pools becauese it's more laid back then going straight into a giant bracket, I don't know...

As much as I'd like to do low tier doubles, they are at minimum priority for this event and should be put aside.

JFox

Smash Hero
I really don't like where this is going. I think my biggest complaint about the bi-weeklies has been that I don't like how my skill level is assumed, and that you pretty much set under-rated people up for failure. Last time I went to a bi-weekly I got last place because I was matched up with DJ Nintendo first round, and than Vanz right after. That is an impossible bracket. I'm not spending $10 so that you can pre-suppose my skill level. My skill level is whatever I can achieve, and its bull**** that good people should have an easy, nicely paved road to winners finals.

You know why you never see any upsets at the bi-weeklies? Its cuz the same people are constantly being matched up every ****in time. I'm sick of trying to squeeze a hundred events in, and taking out pools. Pools isn't gonna happen at a ****in CIRCUIT EVENT just because people wanna have some fun playin around and doing crews and LOW TIER DOUBLES?! WHO THE **** GOES TO THE BIGGEST TOURNAMENT ON THE EAST COAST SINCE BRAWL, AND IS LOOKING TO PLAY LOW TIER DOUBLES?! QUIT. This is really gonna hurt the turnout of future tournaments in the circuit.

This isn't a bi-weekly, this is a major tournament. You have a bunch of OOS people coming, a bunch of semi-retired brawlers, a bunch of newer unheard of players. How do you intend to gauge there skill?? "I've never heard of this guy, so he prob sucks" thats what you will go by. WTF is the point of running the tourney, you might as well just make the results according to who you THINK is gonna win, since you're already setting them up for it anyway.

/rant

Wife

Smash Lord
JFox I got nothin' but love for you but I'm hearing Johns. If you really have the skills, then you'll prove yourself in time. The road to success is a hard one.
May I go on a very brief rant?

When I was a scrub, I got treated like ****. H2YL ridiculed me on a daily basis, nobody respected me, and I got **** seeds. (Back in the day we NEVER did pools, only brackets).

But it was fine. It was like a hazing and I dealt with it.

It made me work harder. I worked my *** off to prove myself, to get good enough to get good seeds.

I think we pamper our scrubs far too much these days. Ushered in by TA, we were introduced to the "be kind to our noobs" movement, where we have to offer pools every time so people get their money's worth.

I miss the good old days where DA took your $20 and put you wherever they wanted and you just . . . had to be better.

It made victory sweeter.

Linguini

Smash Master
I'm Pro-at-Life...

Linguini - I'd say for you to ask someone like DJ or Alukard, or I can ask GMoney (my personal chauffeur) to put you up if you need a ride.

Everyone should watch these matches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JToraWnFm9k
(Ignore the first one...)

And Reno is madd beast!!
That would be str8 meng, I could probably get to the place where it would be easier to pick me up for you guys. thanks.

**** that wife, lol do pools guys this aint no noob ****

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i agree with jfox, having ur only matches be against dj and vanz in a tourney? come on, thats rough, and if thats how he is seeded, he is underrated. it also proves since hes done things like beaten scar in a mm at a couple biweeklies ago haha.

its one thing at a biweekly to not "john" about these things and be thrown into brackets or w/e but this is a big tourney, its part of the anmc, and we expect the best.

and especially as he said with all these new ppl coming to the tourney, theres no way we will be able to accurately gauge everyone. circuit points are handed out to the top 32, which means even getting 17th place instead of 25th matters, unlike a regular biweekly, where essentially the top 3 (getting money) is what matters the most.

i mean come on, low tier doubles? wtf?

tell ppl doubles is starting at 1. doubles should be in the finals by 3 30 ish where we should have singles pools drawn up. pools done by like 5? even if singles bracket starts at 6 at the latest, do a 32 person bracket, that runs fast. over at 8pm, which leaves like 4 hours for draft crews, as most ppl dont leave the venue till like midnight anyway at biweeklies lol. and each draft crew battle is like what? 30 min?

UltimaScout

Smash Lord
JFox I got nothin' but love for you but I'm hearing Johns. If you really have the skills, then you'll prove yourself in time. The road to success is a hard one.
May I go on a very brief rant?

When I was a scrub, I got treated like ****. H2YL ridiculed me on a daily basis, nobody respected me, and I got **** seeds. (Back in the day we NEVER did pools, only brackets).

But it was fine. It was like a hazing and I dealt with it.

It made me work harder. I worked my *** off to prove myself, to get good enough to get good seeds.

I think we pamper our scrubs far too much these days. Ushered in by TA, we were introduced to the "be kind to our noobs" movement, where we have to offer pools every time so people get their money's worth.

I miss the good old days where DA took your $20 and put you wherever they wanted and you just . . . had to be better.

It made victory sweeter.
I kind of agree with wife. It isn't all about skill and determination though. Sometimes it's playstyles. There are some pro level people that I do AMAZING against, and others that aren't quite pro who 4 stock me constantly.

Those type of results would shine through though whether we did brackets or pools. Are pools really that accurate? Perfect scenario, my Smashtality IV pools.

Me (Captain Falcon)
Jman (Fox)
Taki (Fox)
GOTM (Fox)

Hm... I am not terrible compared to those players but I got by far dead last. Then I had to face Wife in brackets and we actually had a really really good match. He didn't destroy me. Pools are silly IMO, and people should step up and challenge others to friendlies :lick:

So not just skill level are we going to seed pools based on skill / region / characters?

No right? Cause that's stupid. Just do brackets, and suck it up.

Eggm

Smash Hero
The only reason I see for not having pools would be if there ended up being a lack of tv's, but for low tier doubles WTF is that? That's pretty dumb. Especially if its a circuit event. Manning up IMO isn't not doing pools its run a reigonal tournament circuit with pools like it should be instead of an event that only a few people truly care about besides yourself.

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol I love Wife way too much. JFox it's entirely possible that you're going to get Vanz and DJN in your pool and not make it out dude.

There aren't many people that are going to be going to this that aren't good, which is why I would like to do pools AND why I would like to do crews.

Edit: Agreeing with everyone else, you just gotta work up to it and win those matches.

Edit2: Alukard won't do low-tier doubles. He says that **** just clownin' dawg, c'mon how ****ed up is you?

Top Bottom