• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] No Johns Monthly! April 19th!! Project M ! (Nanuet, NY)

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
after reading the spoc thread and seeing that scar is doing singles pools and only advancing the top 32 players, i think that is a good idea that should possibly be done for this. it makes the tourney run faster (with a good chance of having draft crews at the end), gives more accurate skill seeding, and you can think of it as everyone who makes it to bracket gets some form of circuit points.
While I agree with that, let's make Draft Crews fair, guys. It sucks for someone to show up...wait X amount of hours and then find out (s)he's not gonna be picked for crews. I mean it REALLY sucks.

UltimaScout

Smash Lord
after reading the spoc thread and seeing that scar is doing singles pools and only advancing the top 32 players, i think that is a good idea that should possibly be done for this. it makes the tourney run faster (with a good chance of having draft crews at the end), gives more accurate skill seeding, and you can think of it as everyone who makes it to bracket gets some form of circuit points.
Agreed...

Just make sure when you make up the pools that you ONLY put me in with Peach's and Fox's. We need to be consistent here or else it might appear that I'm better than I am. :laugh:

Scar

#HarveyDent
Pools can be faster if they are well-run, but they generally aren't and are therefore much slower (since pools = more matches total to be run). It's up to Alukard here but I would say wait to see how many people show up.

Starting teams an hour early would do a lot more good than anything else IMO, be strict and prompt w/ start times and crews WILL happen.

DCScribZ

Smash Apprentice
Draft crews wasn't even on the agenda for this one. >.>

By the way, with this list of attendees, this bracket is going to be utterly dangerous.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Yeah lol since Brawl, Melee has gotten way more competitive. I hope that drives people to come out more and play more, I think it'll make some people want to quit though.

Melee: ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.

Alukard

Smash Hero
ok so ... updatezzzz

doubles moved from 5$ to 10$ ...

crews are going to happen if everyone listens to my mm near the end of singles and not at the beginning cuz i will shut off ur gamecube if ur not signed up for everything ... NO JOHNS

BIG ONE HERE .... BRING EXACT MONIES ... DONT GIVE ME A BILL AND EXPECT ME TO CREATE CHANGE LIKE A MAGICIAN ... I WILL NOT B ABLE TO I DONT HAVE A CASH REGISTER TO WORK WITH !!!!

DRAFT CREWS ARE GOING TO B 5$!!!! SO STEP IT UP IF U DONT WANT TO LOSE FOR UR SIDE WHEN U GET PICKED BECAUSE EVERYONE IS PLAYING AS ALWAYS!!!

VENUE!!!!!!!! IS STILL $5 .... DONT U LOVE IT =]

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
uhg $5 for draft crews? i hate money lol

btw this tourney is going to be featured on all is brawl, which should hopefully get some more ppl to come

pools take a while but are needed for accurate seeding. but to save time thats why a 32 person bracket after pools (instead of promoting everyone) would work good. spoc's normally do doubles, pooled singles, and have time for crews

Alukard

Smash Hero
uhg $5 for draft crews? i hate money lol

btw this tourney is going to be featured on all is brawl, which should hopefully get some more ppl to come

pools take a while but are needed for accurate seeding. but to save time thats why a 32 person bracket after pools (instead of promoting everyone) would work good. spoc's normally do doubles, pooled singles, and have time for crews
ALSO WAT HE SAID IS GOING DOWN ...

BUT CHIBO ... that isn't news to me ... we talked about this on aim already ... and i said pools are fine ... but we can still do crews i kno it ^_^ cuz commentary crews are awesome =P

Scar

#HarveyDent
You def need to be on top of all this though, pools seeding is pretty hard, separating by skill and region w/ a bunch of players you don't know.

Scar

#HarveyDent
AGREED. Even promotion has been glitchy from time to time. My advice is to just draw up pools by hand, enter the top 32 into a singles bracket and just give them skill levels according to their placement in pools.

Alukard

Smash Hero
AGREED. Even promotion has been glitchy from time to time. My advice is to just draw up pools by hand, enter the top 32 into a singles bracket and just give them skill levels according to their placement in pools.
well i am going to b tryin extra hard at this event for sure ... u guys need to run by how to do pools tho ... and i can take it from there ... i've never done them lol

GrammarPolice

Smash Rookie
pools take a while but are needed for accurate seeding. but to save time thats why a 32 person bracket after pools (instead of promoting everyone) would work good.
Good is most commonly used as an adjective, it is used to modify nouns. It would be a good idea to have a 32 man bracket after pools. Good modifies the noun "idea" in this case and is thus properly used.

Well is most commonly used as an adverb, it is used primarily to modify verbs. A 32 man bracket after pools would work well. Well modifies the verb "work" in this case and is thus properly used.

Things do not work good, they work well.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Good is most commonly used as an adjective, it is used to modify nouns. It would be a good idea to have a 32 man bracket after pools. Good modifies the noun "idea" in this case and is thus properly used.

Well is most commonly used as an adverb, it is used primarily to modify verbs. A 32 man bracket after pools would work well. Well modifies the verb "work" in this case and is thus properly used.

Things do not work good, they work well.
Thank you, Scar. Should there be commas after the usage of the word, "thus", in your statement?

GrammarPolice

Smash Rookie
Thank you, Scar. Should there be commas after the usage of the word, "thus", in your statement?
A good rule of thumb when figuring out comma placement is to say a sentence out loud and to pay attention to where natural pauses in your speaking pattern arise.

Try saying the sentence aloud (you can replace the word "therefore" for "thus" if "thus" is not a word you are used to saying). With the "is" positioned in front of the "thus/therefore," it would not sound natural to have a pause following the "thus." If however, I had swapped the positioning of "thus" and "is," the pause would sound correct and imply that a comma would be necessary. However, the sentences in my original post are correct as written.

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
Hey Alukard are you still lowering the fee for those who bring setups? I'm still bringing one reguardless, but I just wanted to know if you're still doing that.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
draft crews for monays with scrubs like me. awwwwwwww shiiiet. :laugh:

p.s. im honestly doing my very best to get there. i cant get a ride from philly. also anyone who has taken the 3.50 bus how often does tha tbus come and how long does it take.

im gonna be hungover and try to wake up at 7:30 to get to ny by 10 to go to new jersey from there. i say like 40 bucks by extending the trip...

but yeah.

Linguini

Smash Master
Im coming from Manhattan but I have no idea how to get to this place from morning side heights,can someone local explain to me on aim or something? lol

GrammarPolice

Smash Rookie
You're good... but I'm better!
Oh bollix, you seem to have gotten me there.

However, I'm not here to correct mistypings, as such a task would be utterly daunting on the internet. Rather, my job as grammar police is to point out misuses such as our good friend Chibo's misuse of "good" where he should have used "well," in an attempt to prevent potentially embarrassing repeats of such mistakes.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
alukard - i know we talked on aim about pools n stuff, i was just suggesting now that you should only advance the top 32 players to the bracket, instead of promoting everyone. you might have already been planning on doing that though, idk.

as for tio and pools, what i do is i use tio for the pools so all the results are on there, then if you are promoting an even amount of ppl like 32, you should be able to use the promote winners option no problem, but if it errors for some reason, i just make the singles bracket event on their from scratch and enter the 32 advanced players and give em skill seeding like scar said. or u can make em by brackets and il enter the paper pools into tio myself

the best thing about draft crews imo is that like everyone participates, and the money will drive away some great ppl, even the great players like spammer lol
just do it like 2 or 3 biweeklies ago where we did 4 draft crews and did a double elim bracket. or even single elim if time doesnt permit. and make it free lol

R3N0

Smash Lord
alukard - i know we talked on aim about pools n stuff, i was just suggesting now that you should only advance the top 32 players to the bracket, instead of promoting everyone. you might have already been planning on doing that though, idk.

as for tio and pools, what i do is i use tio for the pools so all the results are on there, then if you are promoting an even amount of ppl like 32, you should be able to use the promote winners option no problem, but if it errors for some reason, i just make the singles bracket event on their from scratch and enter the 32 advanced players and give em skill seeding like scar said. or u can make em by brackets and il enter the paper pools into tio myself
booooo

you should have 64 man bracket.. just more funs for everyones =D

Scar

#HarveyDent
However, I'm not here to correct mistypings, as such a task would be utterly daunting on the internet.
lol True, but you're pretty good, that's the only mistake I found... and it's too overwhelming to make sure that every single thing you type is completely perfect. Utterly daunting, well put.

Top Bottom