• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] No Johns Monthly! April 19th!! Project M ! (Nanuet, NY)

otg

Smash Master
I mentioned this in another thread, but Tri-state is slacking dumb hard right now and you guys all jumping ship to SSF4 is going to put us behind even more. I mean that's fine by me, my crew is about to blow and **** all of you anyway, but at least put up a fight, for the love god.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Melee blows anyway, cnt wait to tap Reno at SSFIV. Hazz go get that **** asap, and Alu I expect some training *****. Bout 2 beast with my girl Cammy.

Doesnt really matter if were slacking, our best player is like top 5 in the nation and Hax is still as beast as ever. We can jus ride Jmans coattails while we sit back on our couches playing xbox live. I think Genesis was the last time regions were really gonna come together like that for crews and we beat WC

Alukard

Smash Hero
Melee blows anyway, cnt wait to tap Reno at SSFIV. Hazz go get that **** asap, and Alu I expect some training *****. Bout 2 beast with my girl Cammy.

Doesnt really matter if were slacking, our best player is like top 5 in the nation and Hax is still as beast as ever. We can jus ride Jmans coattails while we sit back on our couches playing xbox live. I think Genesis was the last time regions were really gonna come together like that for crews and we beat WC
QFTTTTT ... and good **** maining cammy that was my secondary in vanilla(thats what they call regular sf4 i dunno why LOL) ... she has gotten better too ... also i dont think anyone EVER beats EC and we never try till a week b4 "important tournies" LOLOL

and i'll be back on the 5th hbk ... ima play EVERYDAY even if i have a full schedule of work/school LOLOLOL

i'm going to make a ssf4 crew to **** ssf4 heads ... and we are going to be called "we play melee" even tho we dont really haha

otg

Smash Master
I mean, I'm partially trollin, but I'm also not. I remember when it wasn't even a question that Tri-state was the best... nowadays it's like "eh those guys are alright". No one seems to care tho, so I guess the point is moot. What happened to people's fire?

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
I mean like Alu said, when it comes to a regional we'll all put that wrk in. So like a week before Apex or Gamme tri state will get to their A game. Jus expact mad people to start sucking at biweeklies and **** lol.

Alukard

Smash Hero
I mean, I'm partially trollin, but I'm also not. I remember when it wasn't even a question that Tri-state was the best... nowadays it's like "eh those guys are alright". No one seems to care tho, so I guess the point is moot. What happened to people's fire?
i mean think about it in our shoes ... we been playing for a while now ... the game is only fun when u haven't played it for a while ... mostly because u kinda suck all over again ... at least thats how it is for me ... but yea ... at apex and **** we are going to **** ! ...

plus ROM3 might be confirmed later this week =]

otg

Smash Master
I feel you guys that the bi-weeklies don't really mean ****, but you all got ***** at pound 4, wasn't Jman the only one who did anything notable? I mean I'm just saying, all this talk just comes out like Johns after awhile.

plus ROM3 might be confirmed later this week =]

Alu I feel you about the game getting old and what not (even tho I haven't been going to tournies on a weekly basis I've been playing this game since 06), but like why even bother playing at all?

Alukard

Smash Hero
I feel you guys that the bi-weeklies don't really mean ****, but you all got ***** at pound 4, wasn't Jman the only one who did anything notable? I mean I'm just saying, all this talk just comes out like Johns after awhile.

Alu I feel you about the game getting old and what not (even tho I haven't been going to tournies on a weekly basis I've been playing this game since 06), but like why even bother playing at all?
well i mean people can take it as a john or w.e they want ... all i know is if i put my free time into melee i would be top 8 EASY in this game ... but no one plays/trains/gives a **** about this game anymore ... EDITTT IN TRISTATE

and @ the why play it anymore ... i still play and love this game SOLELY because of doubles ... no other game can give u that melee 2v1 feeling ... or a melee team combo feeling ... when i used to play this game hard ... me dj jesus dionis vanz blackanese hax zr0 ALL PLAYED EVERYDAY ... OR AT LEAST EVERY 2 DAYS for hours on end ... i dont even know where my cube is right now and i dont own a copy of melee ... that alone should say how much of a priority it is for me ...

i dunno ... the only thing that drives me is **** talk and hype ... thats why i started team Swat back in w2z days because D.A. str8 up told me jesus and hax to our faces ... that we would never beat them i guess that was fun to know there was a goal LOL ...

otg

Smash Master
well i mean people can take it as a john or w.e they want ... all i know is if i put my free time into melee i would be top 8 EASY in this game ... but no one plays/trains/gives a **** about this game anymore ... EDITTT IN TRISTATE

and @ the why play it anymore ... i still play and love this game SOLELY because of doubles ... no other game can give u that melee 2v1 feeling ... or a melee team combo feeling ... when i used to play this game hard ... me dj jesus dionis vanz blackanese hax zr0 ALL PLAYED EVERYDAY ... OR AT LEAST EVERY 2 DAYS for hours on end ... i dont even know where my cube is right now and i dont own a copy of melee ... that alone should say how much of a priority it is for me ...

i dunno ... the only thing that drives me is **** talk and hype ... thats why i started team Swat back in w2z days because D.A. str8 up told me jesus and hax to our faces ... that we would never beat them i guess that was fun to know there was a goal LOL ...
I feel you alu. Like I said, I'm not beefing, I'm just genuinely curious about this stuff and I want to see our region ****** face again. Just doesn't seem like people care anymore tho, it's disapointing.

Alukard

Smash Hero
I feel you alu. Like I said, I'm not beefing, I'm just genuinely curious about this stuff and I want to see our region ****** face again. Just doesn't seem like people care anymore tho, it's disapointing.
i totally feel u ... and i know ur not beefing bro we cool LOL ...and it is disappointing ... and i dont think people care anymore ... melee just isn't bringing in enough new people and especially at this games learning curve ... its just not looking too good for our heroes LOL

@just sexed ... this IS the most balanced game since pong LOL

@aesir ... does this mean ur coming and bringing a **** load of people ?

a nub

Smash Ace
I guess it's up to me rise through the ranks and revive tristate...
...****

I'm going upstate for college so I plan on playing as much maylay as possible this summer. I'm looking forward to more ****, don't let me down guys lol

So anyway I'll probably show up with 3 other scrubs :laugh:

Eggm

Smash Hero
Lol, I care. Tristates problem is we don't have enough new players/scrubs/pot fillers. If like every tristate tourament was like 300$ for first place you bet **** well that HBK, Hax, PC, and Jman wouldn't e missing any saturday's and the overall competitivness would go up and we'd all get even better than we are and even tho any other reigon already stands no chance it wouldn't even be fair. xD

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Which is dumb cuz tristate is littered with colleges n ****, and college is where the most new players come from. People who play smash at school should actively try to get people who they play with to go out to more tourneys and people who don't play smash at school should start.

S l o X

Smash Champion
late ya ya k late p.s smash prodigy coming soon
yo my man swift made bracket he comin 4 heads and marc beat lucky and triple tied almost got into bracket.

and i got last :D

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
i feel like we have too many tourneys and expect too much.

simply put....we stretch our resources(the little we have nowadays) by having tourneys week in and week out. I mean it seems like a good idea but its counter productive I feel.

TO's should get together and organize a "circuit". Where theres something every month or tri-weekly. Have eggm hold a "big local" one time then the next cycle, strife does one, then the next alu holds one. I feel that alot of people deep down are comfortable not showing up to things because they KNOW there will be something else within a 2 week span. We need to create a sense of urgency.(like if I dun show to this, I'll have to wait a month to lay melee with a bunch of cool dudes from out of state). For instance....I'm most likely not making a 3hr+ drive to Central NJ this weekend cuz the week after there is ano johns which will roughly have the same matchups vs people that I would've likely met in NJ and overall roughly the same numerical turnout. I LOVE playing everyone and the atmosphere (otherwise I wouldn't have been busting my arse all this time) but like its just logical. As we've grown together(*insert cheesy anime music*) I know we've all been adopting lives and ****....I have bills and you guys probly do too. Saving on such a trip to be rewarded with more to spend the following week at a location twice as convenient is a deal that ANYONE would take. I hope that you guyz realize that this a just a point im making(cuz I still bust my arse to get to things regardless of the logic stated above FOR THE SAKE OF THE COMMUNITY!) . You guyz know me, i dun make money at most of these (I'm lucky to break even). I've busted my arse to create numbers for the community and I really would like to see/help contribute to a better system of tourney organization cuz not EVERYONE is gonna bust their arse to show up OOS for stuff like myself and some others have.

I know that tristate was big on a tourney every week back in the day, but we dun have them numbers anymore. These 3-4 stretches in a row where we hit saffron, no johns, eggms and like some OOS tourney do not do us any good. The majority of us already have to travel a bit further and go out of our way a bit more to get to decent tourneys and create the relatively small numbers we have so why expend those resources in such a small amount of time? Its unrealistic for lots of us and hence the turnouts being small. Its hard for ppl to plan a 3 week tourney spree with bills, work etc. Furthermore, rapid fire tourneys hurt morale. Remember that stretch where no johns couldn't even hit 20 people? That **** was MAD discouraging. It snowball'd(fewer people every time) really badly last year BUT Genesis literally saved the day with one of the best grand finals sets in the history of smash and added more fuel to the flame.(we lucked out i think)

I think we have to spread tourneys out more and make them more of an event:

list **** in tourney listings
make a sig or w/e
make a new thread for each tourney
spam it up a bit in OOS.

I'm not saying make it a ROM or a APEX, but like SPOC level. I dun think that its a coincidence that SPOC has never been held as frequently as the others listed.If you look at the other communities theres no tourney everyweek type stuff, except maybe some places with SF. some of this stuff isn't hard guys.

MAYBE:
I think that a new venue should be picked up, but I know thats hard as ****. It WOULD RLY help put some pep back into tristate and perhaps reveal some new faces or some long forgotten ones.

On a future note:
I just started a new job, but when i get settled Im thinking about working on a south CT venue. Mogwai has been talkin Southern CT tourney for a long time so like perhaps we'll put something in motion in the near future.

----------------------At least read this part------------------------
READERS DIGEST VERSION;
we lack sponsorship and hence probly a bit of organization and planning overall HOWEVER , its not rocket science...its logical and TO's and perhaps our "core" guys should get together and REALLY sit down and plan some ****. I'd be down for some planning/organizing.

less tourneys per month equals:

more money saved(that can go towards tourneys)
more of a desire to play
more money in pot
more attracted big names(jman might actually get off his arse lol)
saved resources and favors(getting venues, wear and tear on TV's, Cars, venues)
less stress for TO's
More anticipation to play(CUZ WE ALL KNOW THAT AS LONG AS MAJORS ARE AROUND AT ABOUT 2-3 PER YEAR THAT MELEE WILL BE AROUND AND WE'LL STILL WANNA PLAY)

I'd really like feedback on anything above

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I absolutely agree on that.

I don't feel there is a need to hold so many consecutively.

A Tristate circuit is a good idea imo. That way we don't get conflicts between tournies.

Its just a fact that most of the players, especially the ones that really wanna play are college kids. We don't have the time nor the money to care about a tourney every week, and sometimes even every other week.

I think 2 tournies a month or 3 tournies every 2 months is good enough.

I think we owe it to ourselves to have a high quality tournament instead of having just a huge number of them. You guys can hold smashfests if you wanna play every week.

I'm with swiftbass. TOs should get a circuit going and space tournies accordingly

Roman.

Smash Champion
i love you swift

i only disagree though because i love having a tourney literally every week (ny, nj, ct, ma), if not, 2-3 smashfests i just get to choose to attend

what i'm getting at is that my #1 desire is to **** you motha fu*kers so fu*king hard and i'd just rather go to tourneys all the fu*king time to get better as fast as possible...

so it's just my obligation to go against your side although your point is mad cuute xP

edit: hailey - although i really think 3 tourneys every 2 months is way too little, new england will also (hopefully) be having tourneys so for the people who don't mind to travel, 2-3 tournies a month would be ballin

otg

Smash Master
absolutely **** post by swift. These are the kind of ideas we need. I think another thing that could generate hype is a designated channel for uploading tourney vids like Waffles does on the WC. Prog has been doing a great job, but I feel like his channel is still relatively unknown.... so let's try and rectify that.

Roman.

Smash Champion
prog has a channel?

here's for you 15 post scrubs

i feel like we have too many tourneys and expect too much.

simply put....we stretch our resources(the little we have nowadays) by having tourneys week in and week out. I mean it seems like a good idea but its counter productive I feel.

TO's should get together and organize a "circuit". Where theres something every month or tri-weekly. Have eggm hold a "big local" one time then the next cycle, strife does one, then the next alu holds one. I feel that alot of people deep down are comfortable not showing up to things because they KNOW there will be something else within a 2 week span. We need to create a sense of urgency.(like if I dun show to this, I'll have to wait a month to lay melee with a bunch of cool dudes from out of state). For instance....I'm most likely not making a 3hr+ drive to Central NJ this weekend cuz the week after there is ano johns which will roughly have the same matchups vs people that I would've likely met in NJ and overall roughly the same numerical turnout. I LOVE playing everyone and the atmosphere (otherwise I wouldn't have been busting my arse all this time) but like its just logical. As we've grown together(*insert cheesy anime music*) I know we've all been adopting lives and ****....I have bills and you guys probly do too. Saving on such a trip to be rewarded with more to spend the following week at a location twice as convenient is a deal that ANYONE would take. I hope that you guyz realize that this a just a point im making(cuz I still bust my arse to get to things regardless of the logic stated above FOR THE SAKE OF THE COMMUNITY!) . You guyz know me, i dun make money at most of these (I'm lucky to break even). I've busted my arse to create numbers for the community and I really would like to see/help contribute to a better system of tourney organization cuz not EVERYONE is gonna bust their arse to show up OOS for stuff like myself and some others have.

I know that tristate was big on a tourney every week back in the day, but we dun have them numbers anymore. These 3-4 stretches in a row where we hit saffron, no johns, eggms and like some OOS tourney do not do us any good. The majority of us already have to travel a bit further and go out of our way a bit more to get to decent tourneys and create the relatively small numbers we have so why expend those resources in such a small amount of time? Its unrealistic for lots of us and hence the turnouts being small. Its hard for ppl to plan a 3 week tourney spree with bills, work etc. Furthermore, rapid fire tourneys hurt morale. Remember that stretch where no johns couldn't even hit 20 people? That **** was MAD discouraging. It snowball'd(fewer people every time) really badly last year BUT Genesis literally saved the day with one of the best grand finals sets in the history of smash and added more fuel to the flame.(we lucked out i think)

I think we have to spread tourneys out more and make them more of an event:

list **** in tourney listings
make a sig or w/e
make a new thread for each tourney
spam it up a bit in OOS.

I'm not saying make it a ROM or a APEX, but like SPOC level. I dun think that its a coincidence that SPOC has never been held as frequently as the others listed.If you look at the other communities theres no tourney everyweek type stuff, except maybe some places with SF. some of this stuff isn't hard guys.

MAYBE:
I think that a new venue should be picked up, but I know thats hard as ****. It WOULD RLY help put some pep back into tristate and perhaps reveal some new faces or some long forgotten ones.

On a future note:
I just started a new job, but when i get settled Im thinking about working on a south CT venue. Mogwai has been talkin Southern CT tourney for a long time so like perhaps we'll put something in motion in the near future.

----------------------At least read this part------------------------
READERS DIGEST VERSION;
we lack sponsorship and hence probly a bit of organization and planning overall HOWEVER , its not rocket science...its logical and TO's and perhaps our "core" guys should get together and REALLY sit down and plan some ****. I'd be down for some planning/organizing.

less tourneys per month equals:

more money saved(that can go towards tourneys)
more of a desire to play
more money in pot
more attracted big names(jman might actually get off his arse lol)
saved resources and favors(getting venues, wear and tear on TV's, Cars, venues)
less stress for TO's
More anticipation to play(CUZ WE ALL KNOW THAT AS LONG AS MAJORS ARE AROUND AT ABOUT 2-3 PER YEAR THAT MELEE WILL BE AROUND AND WE'LL STILL WANNA PLAY)

I'd really like feedback on anything above

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Roman - I'm leaning towards 3 tournies every 2 months personally.

I mean Tristate will travel OOS to tournies like you said.

I think its a good number. Whats hurting us is that a lot of us get uber hyped for a tourney we're gonna attend. To see not too many people and then somewhat get discouraged.

It'll also attract our best players to go to stuff. We even saw that Hax/Jman go to less and less because they sometimes just don't feel like its worth it. If we create bigger pots it entices players more. (More money makes better players wanna go)

Roman.

Smash Champion
Roman - I'm leaning towards 3 tournies every 2 months personally.

I mean Tristate will travel OOS to tournies like you said.

I think its a good number. Whats hurting us is that a lot of us get uber hyped for a tourney we're gonna attend. To see not too many people and then somewhat get discouraged.

It'll also attract our best players to go to stuff. We even saw that Hax/Jman go to less and less because they sometimes just don't feel like its worth it. If we create bigger pots it entices players more. (More money makes better players wanna go)
mmmk i agree with that cause imma start making the bills now and i want them in triple digits...

knaughawe mhene?

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
polished the post a bit more, there is some detail and a bit more clarity....someone quote this if they are on the next page (aka being a scrub with having like 15 post per page).

edit: cant' wait to get my te stick for 360 >____________>

Alukard

Smash Hero
well ... i mean ... i host a no johns every month .. and have been doing so ... for 4 a couple of months now too lol

i think my last no johns was april 10th LOL

i said this to alex when he started saffron and i told eggm when he started his ... that this was going to happen and we need to figure it out ... but it all went to the toilet LOL

i already changed mine to monthlies so i really can't do more then that LOL

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Well thats fine and all but a point is that if it was better organized we'd all benefit more.

I don't think it'll be TOO difficult to schedule a few in advance and then announce the dates.

Or debate it with the community. Though I kinda feel the TOs should decide upon it themselves. Because SOMEONE will always have an issue with a day lol.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
@alu
and u get better turnouts.

now if our core guys and/or TOs got together (stream/conference call/ w.e) there can be a group effort made.

it really all comes down to how much ya want it.(not addressing anyone in general.... just figuratively speaking)

@tec0
well the idea is that the amount of ppl overall compensates for the few ppl with the date conflicts. hopping around trying to fit all conflicts blows and is unrealistic. people involved with the organization need to be aware of that from the jump.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Haha Brian I kinda think I remember you saying something about it.

Anyway none of that matters now. We can get better quality tournies if everyone collectively tries.

**** the insane number of them. I mean when it comes down to it all we want are hype tournies.

Swift - Yea I agree. I'm not really sure where you disagree with me....

I'm just saying, to avoid lengthy and pointless debates with like a few people about dates we should allow the TOs to collectively come to a decision as a group.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Haha Brian I kinda think I remember you saying something about it.

Anyway none of that matters now. We can get better quality tournies if everyone collectively tries.

**** the insane number of them. I mean when it comes down to it all we want are hype tournies.
exactly. Im not letting this go just yet, but I have work in the morning so g'night. plenty of ideas and stuff and for some reason i've become very adamant about it

Alukard

Smash Hero
i totally agree with u guys ... prog has been helping alot ... and eggm with his set ups ... and g$ with bringing me and others ... prog bought a mic ... brings his recording set up ... and puts up the matches really fast and we are trying to get things remotely close to the hype from the WC ... but we need the players ... and we dont have more then the norm =\

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
i totally agree with u guys ... prog has been helping alot ... and eggm with his set ups ... and g$ with bringing me and others ... prog bought a mic ... brings his recording set up ... and puts up the matches really fast and we are trying to get things remotely close to the hype from the WC ... but we need the players ... and we dont have more then the norm =\
i think we do, they just dun ever all show up. HBK's car will be at one thing, chops will be at another thing, plank will drive up to something and may bring a carful at times, vanz will be at this one thing tec0 will be at like 3 tourneys in a row then not be at any for a few months, jman will show then go on hiatus , copy and his car will poke in and out, sensei will show up to like something late once every 3 months, do young pops up here and there, part of city limits NY will pop up(i've rarely seen otg and his car and niko and his car at the same thing.) upstate NY will popup every once in a while, few NJ randoms will pop up, eggm fills his car every once in a while, tag and NYU show (tag more often now =]), CT fills a car or two every here and there, MA makes the long haul every once in a while. PC chris shows up every once in a while(more often NOW horray.). Philly shows up every once in a while, LI guys show up in full force every once in a while.

*ends ramble list*

IN SHORT; WE ARE SPREAD BUT THE NUMBERS ARE THERE

I am probly missing some stuff but like.....we HAVE the base of players and resources. we just need to make tourneys more attractive. its possible.... ROM did it in record time. and ROM2 did good as well. If we had half of the latter show up we'd be looking at a good tourney. hell maybe even more guys from the city may show up.(lazy mofos lol).

aite bedtime fo real this time

I honestly dun know if everyone's desire is still there, but like if theres a game to give a more organized/collective effort shot at revival on a regional level its melee. After this is all said and done if melee is gone its gone, but dismissing it with out such an effort i think wouldnt be doing it justice.

Top Bottom