• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] No Johns Monthly! April 19th!! Project M ! (Nanuet, NY)

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
LMFAO

I do go to like a huge number of them randomly and then take giant breaks its soooo true :laugh:.

I think if you space them over half will appear at one tourney.

IMO I think we all still love the game, we just always wish for more competition, more faces, and most importantly HYPE.

Alukard

Smash Hero
well like i said i spread out my tournaments from weeklies to bi weeklies to now monthlies ... i kinda need to keep my business with the store or melee will get just replaced with ssf4 and blazblue LOL

Eggm

Smash Hero
Mine are less than once a month. One time it was like 1 in 2 months cause of blizzards. >.> The problem isn't that tristate has tournaments every weekend. We just don't have a big enough base. We have like a 40 person base at most in tristate but like only about 20 of them are available on a given weekend and only like 15 of them can get places easily. That's the issue. Having less tournaments is just gonna blow for some one who waited for 3 weeks for a tournament cause there was none and have something come up and make them miss it then they gotta wait 6 weeks. At that point they are rusty and some might even lose interest in that amount of time all together with the game. You can have an event every weekend and just have one that's super hype that the majority give an effort to attend. We used to have tournaments every weekend and the saffron was the "big" one and we still got like 40 people despite there being tournies every weekend. The spoc before scar left that got like 60 also had tournaments every weekend going on. We just need a good TO in a good location near NYC that NYC people can get to easily via public trans and some hype. The other tournaments like no johns and mine once a month aren't going to deter people from coming to that big one IMO if it gets setup.

Just cause theres 4 tournaments in the weekend doesn't mean people can't skip the ones they want (or just can't make) and still be hyped for the one people are considering big. Options are never a bad thing iMO. Personally, if there were only tournaments once every 3 weeks in tristate and I had to go to CT and MD/va all the time i'd probably quit. I can't stay playing good only playing once every 3 weeks (no one lives near me who I can practice with I only play on saturday's) and I would just lose interest. Going to md/va more than once a month would be way too expensive IMO. Btw look at md/va. They only have like 1-2 tournaments a month and they aren't any bigger than ours. WC has tournaments like every weekend and they pull spoc type numbers all the time.

Niko45

Smash Master
Getting a ride is the biggest problem for me, personally. If OTG or Mogwai aren't going I pretty much have no shot at a NJ tournament bc no one is coming from that direction. That's why I rarely miss No Johns but am never at the Saffron/Eggm tournies.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Niko if I ain't workin ill give u a ride ur not like outta my way by much and besides pc needs rides and he. Basically lives next door to u so that's a car full of ****.....just text me and we work stuff out

otg

Smash Master
Here come some busy johns:

No Johns are just convinient and relatively close for me. I'm busy every saturday, but the No Johns venue is on the way of where I need to be by like 6 pm every saturday, so I can at least go to them for teams. It's hard for me to dedicate a full day to going to NJ or Philly, that's really what I'm getting at.

A sick venue near NYC would be nasty, and I secured a relatively ****ty one in New Ro (10 minutes North of Fordham in the BX), but atleast it's something and would be easy for the NYC kids to get to. I've mentioned this to a number of people and some of you seemed interested, but I would want someone who is reputable and could actually draw a crowd to assist me in promoting it.

Also, for this venue I would keep prices low. I know that $$ tends to be what drives a lot of you guys to play (which imo is really gay but w'e), but I think I would attract much larger (and younger/college) crowds with a lower venue and singles fee. Just my 2 cents, if someone is willing to look into this with me further I think it could be very promising.

/end busy johns

We have a huge base of players, but something has to be done to get people to come out. I mean, within my county alone, there are about 10 people in my crew alone (now granted, many of them are oos/ooc for college atm), and from there I can count at least 15 other people who don't have smashboards accounts but play on the regular (and yes they all suck balls, but at least they are playing). We need to create incentive to get these people to come out.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
We have a huge base of players, but something has to be done to get people to come out. I mean, within my county alone, there are about 10 people in my crew alone (now granted, many of them are oos/ooc for college atm), and from there I can count at least 15 other people who don't have smashboards accounts but play on the regular (and yes they all suck balls, but at least they are playing). We need to create incentive to get these people to come out.
truth. i mean, talking LI, you don't get that many constantly there besides me/G$ and the ghost of hazz. we've got talented people, we've got bottom of the barrel players. both are interested, but transportation for LI sucks (most of the players are in suffolk, it takes me 50 minutes to get to no johns, it takes them an hour to get to me; tolls, no matter where the venue is, no johns=throgs neck, everything else=OOS=throgs neck/GWB or outerbridge + more). in addition, we don't have that many drivers (me being the main only one.

Niko45

Smash Master
It comes down to lack of drivers imo. None of the venues are easy to get to by public trans and there aren't enough drivers in NJ to bring all of NJ to LI and vica versa, etc. etc.

NYC is just ideal bc its a reasonable trip for everyone and you can use public transit. If the venues are all outside of NYC, tho, NYC is just a major obstacle to overcome in travelling to the surrounding 'burbs and makes things more difficult.

a nub

Smash Ace
My dad will probably be opening up a store in queens so if it has a decently sized lounge room or basement I could possibly have some weeklies or biweeklies over the summer. Well it's something (if it goes through).

Alukard

Smash Hero
well i got bought out for the venue in chinatown ... i was trying to rent it out ... but ... i got ***** LOL

i'm still looking for places to get a hold of in chinatown ... because i really think i can make money with super street fighter 4 blazblue CS coming out and melee and brawl ... also card games so like ... i'm trying ... but its not looking good for our heroes LOL

R3N0

Smash Lord
Juri is mad hot SSF4 character,
they beefed ABEL SOME!! HOLLA!!

all the links SEEM easier to do..
I LOVE JURI =D

SHES SO GOOD!!!

although when she gets knocked down.. i want to cry. b/c her wake up blows.

shes soooo agrro tho..
shes like the best parts of an offensive sheik but the worst parts of game and watch's defense.

Alukard

Smash Hero

I LOVE JURI =D

SHES SO GOOD!!!

shes soooo agrro tho..
shes like the best parts of an offensive sheik but the worst parts of game and watch's defense.
i want to play soooo badly ... u guys make me sooo sad LOL i'll be home next week

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
@tec0
i wasnt disagreeing with anything u said tec0. was responding to alu and you ninja posted above me

@eggm

WC has tourneys with the same accessibility to 3-4 diff locations as tristate does every week? I don't think thats the case. If they do then their scene is a miracle. I see a bunch of SCSU tourneys and some others here and there, but def not everyweek. hygua about a month ago told me it wasn't. I do not think comparing WC with our scene in any sense is accurate let alone makes having tourneys here every week justifiable.

look at the numbers...no johns sees more ppl than it did last year cuz alu didn't have them so often. look at how spoc probly had THE largest intervals of time between events and how it had THE largest turnouts among the tourneys mentioned. (except rom which in my eyes turned into a full fledged major overnight)This cannot be a coincidence.

I understand that separately you guys hold stuff every month(and some change) but look at the dates now. Like i said b4 it comes down if we want to get together and plan stuff. If y'all wanna just keep doin ur own thing then its whatever we'll keep having 20man turnouts and I will most likely still show to what I can). But I wouldn't contribute everything to the "lack of" in the player base.

Just Sexed

Smash Ace

I LOVE JURI =D

SHES SO GOOD!!!

shes soooo agrro tho..
Ive only played one Juri online I kinda didn't know what to expect she definitely got a very strange game.

As soon as I finish this 2000 word essay imma be online all night lol.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I'm tryna use guy and its effin hard with no projectiles.....psn tag: shadowwebb.....I still suck tho

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Any1 upstate going to this that is say closer to new paltz than fishkill??????? Js i m realizing that I won't have enuff money to. For gas to get u there and back.....like the venue is about 40 mins from my house that's like nothing but to new paltz is a hour.....to the tourney is a hour and change then to do is back again is just beast then back to my house....it a lil bit too much for me.......

Just Sexed

Smash Ace
Any1 upstate going to this that is say closer to new paltz than fishkill??????? Js i m realizing that I won't have enuff money to. For gas to get u there and back.....like the venue is about 40 mins from my house that's like nothing but to new paltz is a hour.....to the tourney is a hour and change then to do is back again is just beast then back to my house....it a lil bit too much for me.......
I'll see what I can do.

Alukard

Smash Hero
alright lets make this confirmed attendants list =]

1. Alukard
2. G$
3. G$ 1
4. G$ 2
5. G$ 3
6. eggm
7. nando

i dont know who g$ is bringing in the car and i'm assuming eggm is going ... everyone post up if u can make it =]

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I have a job now and I start tonight. So most likely me and Chops will attend this. Who's willing to give the kids a ride?

Alukard

Smash Hero
I have a job now and I start tonight. So most likely me and Chops will attend this. Who's willing to give the kids a ride?
Good **** on landing a job man ... where u work at??

alright lets make this confirmed attendants list =]

1. Alukard
2. G$
3. G$ 1
4. G$ 2
5. G$ 3
6. eggm
7. nando
8. DJN
9. Chops
10. PC jona
11. Otg

ok so mayb pc jona or otg can bring PC to this ?

mayb eggm can bring stric and chain ace?

haley u make me sad

Alukard

Smash Hero
I'll talk to Chris about it at some point this week, if I come I'll bring a full car + 2 setups hopefully.
see thats why u mah *****

1. Alukard
2. G$
3. G$ 1
4. G$ 2
5. G$ 3
6. eggm
7. nando
8. DJN
9. Chops
10. PC jona
11. Otg
12. PC
13. otg 1
14. otg 2
15. otg 3
16. otg 4

i like the way this is turning out ... HBK u coming out son ... Hazz?? reno??? lets go people ... i'm ready to ****ing practice to win that apex doubles >=]

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I'm going so I'm happy...bout time otg stop flaking and I thought pc was going to mass madness...its in the thread title and everything

Top Bottom