• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apply to become a Smash Researcher!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Want to be a Smash Researcher and have access to the Smash Lab? Fill out this application and post it here, and we will consider you for a position. This is first come, first serve; we're not looking to add too many people. So the earlier you submit your application, the better your chance of getting that cyan name!

Here is the application (and remember, this is Brawl only):

1. Smashboard's name and link to profile
2. Type(s) of researcher
(see list)
3. Best Researching Skills/Abilities
4. Summary of what you will uniquely add to the Smash Lab
5. Examples of previous work

6. What is/are your favorite aspect(s) of Brawl? And why?

Select the type of researcher from these 5 categories (mixing is allowed):

Frame Data Gatherer: These people have a vid capture device, and the software to view the video in frame time. They count the number of frames for specific actions and states.

Number Cruncher: These people are the kinds of people who research brawl quantitatively using the values the game gives us. They find themselves frequently starting matches, doing one thing, quitting, and checking the stats at the end. They frequently use Excel (or other software) to find trends and potential equations.

Hacker: These people are adept at using Ocarina to find new codes, or test existing codes to try to find out things about brawl. Requires your wii to be homebrew hacked.

Videographer: These people are adept at making videos demonstrating brawl techniques, mechanics, and other things. They have video editing software, and the ability to capture gameplay footage.

General Researcher: these people just go around looking for new things and occasionally stumble upon something no one has noticed before.

D

Deleted member

1. paprika killer
link: http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=132615

2 I'm a hacker and a number chruncher (and a bit of vieo analyst). I own a usb gecko that allows me to manipulate the game to it's limits and gives me access to data others would never be able to retrieve. I am very good at math and have a strong sense for measuring distance, allowing me to find new tchniques others might not easily spot

3. as mentioned I can easily spot tiny distances, unusual frames, etc. as math freak I usually learn every single percent of a character, and I wouldn't mind spending hours to get the data I need from the gaem. my usb gecko is a very good help in this, as I can easily take a screenshot of every frame of a move and in the meantime look in the game data for abnormalities or just checking if a hitbox is actually out where others might only think it is out because it looks like that, while it is not.

4. I will be able to retrieve perfect data of everything, as well as manipulating the game in such ways to find those special situations that can make new tactics and/or gameplay possible. I am also one of the few members of the brawl+ backroom. other researchers might also ask me to code something they need, where the frame by frame code (NOT mine) is a good example of.

5. I haven't completed a research project yet, but I'm currently working on jump/SH height lists, as well as the accompanying frame data, this is by now halfway but I've been a bit busy lately. I have also made major contributions to the brawl+ scene, mostly in porting every single code to PAL region, as well as extensive testing and minor coding by myself.

6. the refreshing feel it gives over melee, lucario for example feels just like he is giving the game some flow, rather than just fast, fast, fast like melee (and MK). brawl also offer a variety of unique playstyles such as olimar and PT.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
watertails

2. Type(s) of researcher (see list)
I think I'd be more of a Number Cruncher or Hacker. These are elaborated upon in the summary. Now, because of the "Debug Pause" code, I could be a Frame Data Gatherer, too.

3. Best Researching Skills/Abilities:
My best researching skill would probably be my rad ability to find some of the small nuances in ATs, and sometimes why they work, because of that.

4. Summary of what applicant will uniquely add to the Smash Lab
Well, I'm pretty good at maths (hundredth percentile on the PLAN test, if that counts for anything), and have thought about buying a USB Gecko, and probably would if the Smash Lab needed one.

My project for finding how the knockback on Falco's moves stale kinda died, because of school, but here's an example!

Also, I've started looking into the frame data for tripping, but so far, it seems really wierd that there would already be a pattern, although it is a small sample.
Code:
Mario: 45
Luigi: 46
Peach: 47
6. What is/are your favorite aspect(s) of Brawl?
As sappy as it sounds, I would have to say that the community is my favorite aspect of Brawl. That's assuming you're not talking about, like, the mechanics.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
1. Makkun - http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=65554

2. I'm a hacker in terms of testing codes. I was one of the original people who formed the Brawl+ project, and after taking sort of a break from the project after the hitstun code was released, I'm back at it, and I plan on testing many types and combinations of codes. I have a lot of free time, so I have plenty of time to test. Even though there aren't many Brawl players in my area, I have a very good internet connection, so testing codes through WiFi is easy for me to do with many different people.

Edit: I can also capture frame data, with the new Debug Code. I'm working on a 100% accurate frame list.

I also plan on purchasing a video capture card very soon for other miscellaneous purposes. Since I have a lot of free time, this would allow me to create videos for frame data or whatever else is needed.

3. My best researching ability is the fact that no matter how small or insignificant the subject or problem, I am willing to investigate and research thoroughly. (See ISJR) I can spend hours searching for reasons why small bugs happen (such as in programming) and I actually really enjoy doing so.

I am also a quick learner, so if I was ever required to do something such as finding values, I could be taught easily...

4. I am very interested in researching codes that will enhance Brawl, so I will always be available to test with other people through WiFi. I also like to keep data organized and stored in easy-to-find places. I enjoy making lengthy, organized threads, full of data, and I'm able to upload and keep any files or transcripts for others to use/download if ever required - such as GCT files, frame data, miscellaneous quotes, and video footage.

Edit: Like I said before, I'm working on a 100% accurate frame list for every character's moves.

5. I haven't done a lot of research that really helped the Brawl metagame whatsoever, but I do believe the two things I'm most known for are good examples of my dedication to researching small details.

1. Infinite Second Jump Recovery - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173119
I did SO much research for this little exploit... It turned out to be rather useless, but the amount of data in this thread for each character is massive.

2. In-depth Tutorial for Modding a Wii - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199810
Many people have used this guide in order to play Brawl+. I would say that it's more important than my ISJR thread in that it's actually USEFUL. I've spent a lot of time working on this thread, and I try to keep it updated as much as possible.

Edit: 3. AGAIN... Working on a frame list.

6. Aside from new characters/stages/etc, my favorite thing about Brawl is the fact that we can change it to play it the way we want to. :p Haha. Really though, I like how the physics feel, even if it makes the game have less depth. Overall, the characters just feel great to play as. It feels smooth.

Browny

Smash Hater
2. Type(s) of researcher
(see list)

:/

1. djbrowny - http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=105269
2. Frame data, number cruncher, videographer, general researcher, hitbox tester
3. I think my hitbox testing was the best thing Ive done yet, but ive done a lot of other stuff
4. well considering none of us know what the smash lab does at the moment its hard to claim anything as unique lol... you can check my previous work for an idea.
5. Sonics CG - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201992
Frame data - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196148
Hitbox thread - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211629
Determining disjoints - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6145112#post6145112 (as well as my post below that one)
DDD stale chaingrab - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205203
Still looking for an answer to this lol... http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187085

Ive also done Lucarios frame data and derived the Aura boost equation but more complete threads covering those topics have since been posted
6. Trying to learn everything there is... games are a lot more fun when you take them as seriously as possible, for me at least

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
1. Demonic Toon Link
http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=127918

2. General Researcher

3. I will spend hours trying to find things in training mode. If I find anything, I am able to capture it with my dazzle and upload it. (I have a combo vid coming soon ^^)

4. I have A LOT of fun playing this game and will even enjoy spending countless hours in training mode just looking for new things. I play Toon Link obsesively so I'm quite likely to be of help if you have no TL mains at this point. My home used to be AllisBrawl, but I found that Smashboards is much better. Regardless of that, I am still very active on both sites, so I could definately help with communicating between sites.

5. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwagLhU4kGw&feature=channel_page
It was nothing special at all, nor was it that new (Samus could do it. I just applied it to TL) but I guess it shows I'm active.

6.To be honest, Toon Link... I have fun playing every character, but he just is way too fun to me. Linking Bairs, Comboing from Zair, annoying with Quickdraws, bombs and the mindgames that follow... He is just too cool

superyoshi888

Smash Lord

superyoshi888

General Researcher (E: I can also be a Videographer and possibly a hacker.)

Probably testing attacks and tricks. I like to see how things work. (E: Now that I have the homebrew channel I can also test things in Brawl+ and compare the two.)

Well, this is hard, but most likely useless knowledge that will have no effect on the competitive scene. Still, knowledge is knowledge. (E: I can also record videos and possibly provide some indepth info on Brawl+.)

Very out of date, considering I got recording equipment now, but I did find this on accident.

My favorite aspects of Brawl would be the characters(ironically also my least favorite, because Pichu and Doc. Mario didn't return), how drastically different it is from other fighters, and multiple air dodges. :) (E: I also like how the physics of the game changed, but I also like how much it can be inhanced using codes like the ones for Brawl+.)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Want to be a Smash Researcher and have access to the Smash Lab? Fill out this application and post it here, and we will consider you for a position. This is first come, first serve; we're not looking to add too many people. So the earlier you submit your application, the better your chance of getting that cyan name!

2. Type(s) of researcher
(see list)

1. Phi1ny3
http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=110987

2. I'm a frame data gatherer, I guess a general researcher (I think that fits everyone in many ways), and potential videographer (I don't have a camera, but I do have some pretty S.O.T.A. video analyzing and editing stuff (I'm one of the people in charge of a new program in my school that is used by Olympic coaches to analyze streams of video of their athletes' performance and demonstrate what they could do better, and my job is to help find alternative uses for the program besides athletic purposes, and it goes frame by frame, which is good). I also help with number crunching, as I helped with the DDD chaingrab question, and some of the "lucario team aura boosts" mysteries.

3.Prolly analyzing stuff of any sort. I'll usually find something, but my lack of capture devices kind of hurts this (though I got an SD card soon, so that might help).

4.I have a reeaaalllyy good video analyzing program that I use when I'm not busy with other jobs around the school, and I also have good perspective and pick up on things some don't always notice. I have also a strong enthusiasm for this group and what it does, so I'll be frequent in help when I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbreon
DDD's CG is a true infinite on all 5 characters. The diminished throw only effects DDD before 50% when he isn't able to get a grab attack out. But once he can it's to death. Before that it's five standing grabs which lead into the chain grab or back throw which almost always adds up to 50 or so. You just can't start it directly from 0.

Cyan name plz.

If u watched the vid, it shows all that, so it's kinda information that's old. Definitely some sort of diminish, because all the influences of decay (dying, refreshing, decaying) have been shown in the video. I think it has nothing to do with "delay", because the grab frame is exact (I think) according to the video. It's either speed (which I have more faith in, as I will explain below), or inability to grab (due to change in thrown char's hurtbox/trajectory). Here's why I think it's speed of grabbed character that's more of the reason. I used a stop watch (which had milliseconds compatable), and I started and stopped on three different scenarios:

-Grab (non-decayed), dthrow, and fail on regrab (control test) (stopped when thrown character stops moving)
-Grab (non-decayed), dthrow, and successfully regrabbed (stopped at time of grab)
-Grab (decayed), dthrow, and fail on regrab (once again, stopped when thrown character stops moving)
I did each 4 times, to have consistency. Here are the results:
-about .74 seconds on throw one (control)
-about .69 seconds on throw two (non-decay, regrab)
-about .69 seconds on throw three (decayed, failed regrab)

So basically, I saw a change of speed on the character moving, and moved away from danger in the same amount of time that D3 would have regrabbed. While some character hit/hurt box changes could influence the results, I think a major contribution is speed of character (as seen by the RESULTS).
-disclaimer: I only tested Samus, didn't test on Mario or Luigi's results, but could prolly find the same results.
Question: If you are a "researcher", do you have to devote LOTS (like LOTS of LOTS) of time to help? Or is it kind of a discussion/ more free flow thing?
Also, my lucario frame data project: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211488
Not the most "scientific", but it is a testament of my analyzing proficiency: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173703

6. My favorite aspects of Brawl: this is where more of the artist comes in for me. I love how Brawl has aesthetically improved since Melee. Its frames aren't choppy, its textures are more depthified, and Smash Bros. as a whole has always been more oriented in physics than other fighting games. All the new concepts, like different and unusual hit box designs(lucario, D3, charizard fair, etc.) along with some old elements (like SH buffers and such) have blended relatively well. I also love the boundaries that Brawl pushed in trying for character design, it is very bold. I like the new frontier that "hacking" has created in Brawl, and although it probably won't find itself in mainstream Brawl tourneys, it amazes me at times what the average gamer is capable of doing. I like Brawl's emphasis of a more "realistic" fight, and the game pattern has become less linear (combo, combo, and more COMBO!), to something of a more "theoretic value", and one that is harder to determine player skill. No longer is it required to learn formulaic secrets and limiting gameplay into giving at most in options for your opponent a disadvantageous tech chase, and it has become more flexing of the mind of a gamer. The reason why recorded matches come to someone else with the untrained eye as "overglorified", is because more of the game is taking place in the head imo (I don't want to hear all the "Melee has mindgames too!", because this is what we're talking about in terms of BRAWL). It also allows more flexibility for those who don't have enough time to become developed in boat-loads of metagame, yet are able to take it to the next step from a "casual game". I see potential in this game, and I think it has some good value that is not as bad as people make it out to be.
Good luck to everyone here! I hope I get in!

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace

2. Type(s) of researcher
(see list)

1. mariofanpm12
http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=104233

2. I would most likely be best suited as a General Researcher. I coudl possibly work as a Number Cruncher on occasions when needed.

3. I am best at stumbling upon interesting tidbits of information such as hidden sweetspots, finding averages of moves, recording information like stale move negation stats, and testing hitboxes. I use codes, but I can not hack.

4. If I am able to join, I will hopefully be able to contribute through recording the strengths (% dealt) of moves, hitbox info, and anything else I happen to find out.

5. While I haven't actually found out much in the way of real developments, I have found several sweetspots (or what seemed to be) that I looked into and I have recorded moves after move negation, and done averages to find out strongest/weakest characters.

6. My favorite aspect of Brawl is how the % system operates, and how it has so many hidden tidbits and formulas. I like it because it is surprisingly deep. I also like studying exact aspects of character balance, going deeper than just speed, recovery and weight (rather things like fall speed, air control, etc.)

I hope I make it in!

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
1. Judge Judy: http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=115666

2. More of a general researcher but I can go in pretty much any direction.

3. My preference is dealing with hitboxes with odd properties; experimenting with water hitboxes, wind hitboxes, the Cape, and the Mirror Shield have become hobbies of mine.

4. As far as what I can uniquely add to the Smash Lab, I can’t really say since I don’t know what specific talents the other members of the lab contribute. As far as what I’m useful for, I basically try to figure out why such and such works based on the mechanics of the game.

5. True combos I confirmed for Mario and an explanation of why they work: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=210862

Also, I found FIHL, the downwards cape glide, and the cape’s ability to amplify knockback when caping a launched opponent: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196174

Here’s some specific posts:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196174&page=4
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196174&page=6

Here’s my PM to HeroMystic about the downwards cape glide: http://www.smashboards.com/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=821439

I’ve got other stuff but I’d have to go and dig it up.

6. My favorite aspect of Brawl is that it has drawn so many new faces to the smash scene; although there’s a lot of junk that comes along with a lot of newbies, it’s refreshing to see new competitive players out there taking the Smash series seriously.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Panda, I already sent an application through Kirk and was wondering if you had looked over it yet. I wasnt sure if I should resend it through this thread as well or not

1. -Hilt-
http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=94662

2. If I had to pick one, I would label myself as a number cruncher. Finding specific number values is something that's important to me, as I feel I may gain some upper hand if I discover the right thing. I've done a lot of number testing in the past for my charts and think that I fit best in this field.

3. I work well in the mathematical region of the researching field. Using equations, doing tests, and making charts are what I find myself doing the most. I also work well with testing frame data however, and plan to do more in that category soon.

4. I feel that my work will be valuable to the smash lab for a number of reasons. For one, my work is generally something that most people haven't taken the time to think about. For example, my past work with the charts I've created were for the most part centered around a topic that many people didn't even know existed. I believe that adding me will broaden the range of what is researched in the smash lab, to develop the meta game as fast as possible.

5. In the past I've done research on the percentages of pikmin pulled from the different terrain of each stage in Brawl. I pulled anywhere between 400-1000 pikmin each from every possible terrain in each stage to get as accurate as possible. Doing this, I was able to find patterns and basically found generally reliable numbers to assign to each terrain. Doing so has slightly boosted Olimar's meta game, as it now influences stage counter picks against characters that certain pikmin work better against.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=212786

6. I love the vast variety in the character diversity. The differences in the characters is in my opinion, much more vast than the characters in melee. Characters like Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Snake, etc. are entirely unique in both play style and the overall mechanics of the character in general. This in turn drastically changes the matchup system when compared to melee where a person would not play a character entirely differently depending on their opponent. Or have to have one or two sides just because of a bad matchup. This adds much more strategy into the game and I believe the matchup system will continue to evolve for years throughout the progression of the game.

UncleSam

Smash Master
1. UncleSam
http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=132383

2. I could go for something along the lines of a Number Cruncher or just a general Researcher

3. I test out combos on every character, and figure out percentages where a combo could be pulled off without worrying about DI

4. I feel this will help the smash lab for one reason, stopping the discussion about whether combos are actually in brawl or not.

5. I am currently working on the Gonzo Combo, I'm just about done and will post this later

6. The challenge board and the rotational play. I'm always looking for a challenge, and rotational play feels just like playing friendlies (but more organized)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ

ph00tbag

Number Cruncher/General Researcher

Gathering/Interpreting data
Creating methods based on hypothesis
Testing for Brawl+ and other hacks

I'm very adaptable, and can apply myself to just about any subject, so if I'm needed for help on a project, and am available, I can most likely be tapped.

Contributed most of the knockback data for the In Depth Attack Statistics thread in the ZSS forum.
I've also been helping Faded Image work on a formula for knockback decay.

I like the multiplayer mode, and any aspect therein. Brawl, to me, is a social game. Even if I'm playing someone better than I am, it's an excuse to get to know them and make new friends.

I also really like to know about the game. I love learning all of the trivia that there is to know about the game, even if it doesn't necessarily make me a better player. I just like to know, to the point where I can't stand not knowing.

Adapt

Smash Lord
1. Name and link to profile
In order of skill and preference: Number Cruncher, Videographer, Hacker (using codes to test various aspects of brawl), General Researcher​
  • Compiling hitbox/knockback/kill percentage data for all characters.
  • Gathering, organizing and displaying data in a readable format
  • I have a degree in engineering and many skills like proper testing and preparing reports will transfer over
I have an engineering background and I know the design and testing process. I also have a lot of brawl data stored on my computer about hitboxes, stun, decay, and knockback from previous testing I have done. I am also about 1/2 way through a Zelda moveset statistics thread similar to the first thread listed below.​
TESTINGINFORMATION
First and foremost I enjoy playing brawl with friends and the special moments where you pull off a sick combo (It's awesome even if you are on the receiving end of the combo). Secondary to this, I like to understand how things work. I will always be testing and tweaking things to see what I can learn. Brawl has a complex game engine that is excellent for playing with and testing things.​

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
1. SOLID or S.O.L.I.D.

2. General Researcher.

I'm not really into Hacks, and I don't have a camera, normally I mooch of people that can upload my videos.

3. I play lots of matches, on every tourney legal stage and occasionally find out strange stuff on different stages. I also use Random a lot, mainly just to test out how some of their moves react with the different stages.

4. I'm good at finding out weird stuff, just random stuff, and I have a great eye for seeing why glitches happen in videos people present (if I do say so myself) and I really like testing, although I normally don't know what to test, so i find myself just finding out random stuff.

5. In the past I've discovered some weird stuff on Siege, including the fact that you can get stuck under the area while the stage changes, and I've also done some Waterbox research, which is currently incomplete, and I haven't worked on it in a while, but I've looked at how water boxes work with other water boxes, windboxes, etc.

6. Personally, I like all the characters. There really is someone for everyone in Brawl, which is nice. It's fun to test out what every character can do even if you almost never play them. Watching other people beast with characters you fail with is fun as well.

gallax

Smash Hero

Galax1117
http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=108843

2. Type(s) of researcher

General

I have a great memory and the ability to take what I notice(in either playing/watching brawl vids) and writing it down on paper so that anyone can understand what I saw. This is useful for any application involving videos or character specific matchups/movesets.

By having me you will have the Smash Lab will have the ability to precisely and concisely record any valuable information and be able to manipulate/interpret that information so that the common smasher will be able to understand it.

Gaming is a science. And just like any experiment or research project you must have someone who is capable of recording and analyzing data. I can do that better than most.

If none of that matters to you then I am a rocket scientist (aerospace engineering degree) and at least you can say hey...we have a rocket scientist in our group. :)

I am currently working on the matchup thread for pikachu. Although I started off kinda weak, my work has gotten better as time has gone on. My first matchup ever was sonic, then toon link. My latest was gaw. I am currently working on lucario/ZSS/and zelda. These are taking a rather long time but I had some personal problems over the past 3 months and just recently(middle of Dec) got back into the swf again.

Link to my Matchup thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174335

Ex of one of my matchup threads:

Snake

General Discussion

This is pika's most interesting matchup imo. It is so hotly debated whether pika has the advantage people have just grown sick and said even matchup. This matchup is like david and goliath. Pika has everything any character needs to win, but snake has the same.

Pika's Advantages

1.) Speed
2.) Ability to combo
3.) CG
4.) Can gimp snakes recovery
5.) Not easily gimped
6.) Spammable projectile
7.) Thunder(hits way above pika...willbe talked about later)

Pika's Disadvantages

1.) No ridiculous utilt range/priority
2.) Less priority
3.) Less range on tilts
4.) Kill/percentage ratio(snake needs more to die obviously)

Strategy for Winning

General

This is a most intersting matchup. Hotly debated but never ended. What makes this matchup so interesting is that both characters have the advantages to win this matchup. Snake is the explosive master and pikachu is so finess. This matchup will come down to who knows it the best.

Grenades

The first and most foremost thing that needs to be addressed with snake is his ability to use his grenades. It only takes 1 frame to pull out a grenade. 1 frame. This means that any chaingrab that you may attempt, or anything that you attempt, can be thrawrted if not executed properly. Now when a snake pulls a nade it will take 5 seconds to explode. A nade will explode once its timer is reached, if you use an elemental attack on it, or if you use your thunder/tolt on it. You will hear a tink when he pulls it out too. Listen for it.

The most stupid thing about nades is that it affects the higher slots first and lowest slots last. If snake grabs you and a nade is right below you and explodes, it will damage the person whose controller is plugged into the port nearest port 1. This means you fight for port 4 cuz it is the best port.

Now what to watch out for with grenades and all the info you will ever need to know about them. Be sure that there is quite a bit. Snake, first off, has three options with nades. He can either hold the nade(not letting go of B), release the b button and let go of the nade, shield and drop the nade. If snake holds the nade do not hit him. You will detonate the nade and you will both be sent flying into the air and snake will more than likely uair you to your death. If they hold onto it watch out for them walking slowly towards you then when the nade is about to explode they will shield. So you can shield yourself. My recommendation is simple and effective. Tjolt them. They are forced to shield and drop the nade. If they do release their nade they can just press B and let go, which will send the nade in front of the snake and set it onto the ground. The snake can also pull back on the joystick and the nade will be thrown into the air, land on the ground, and explode approximately 3 seconds later., near snake. Most snakes will roll back when they do this.

Now when snakes drop the nade using their shield. This is the most common form of nade users. Shield>drop>many things. They can hold onto it, throw it down/up/forward/way forward..etc. Snakes also have the choice of leaving on the ground. You will see most, if not all of the nade uses. The 5 second rule still applies. Some things you must learn to avoid are as follow. Nade>shield>grab nade>hit down on cstick. This effectively throws the nade on the ground and bounces it back into the air. The nade will explode right before it hits the ground or at around snakes head depending on how hard the player button mashed. So in other words...stay away when this happens. The snake will tend to roll away when this happens and pull out another nade. More than likely the snake will then go through the same series of events, except this time they will hold the nade and throw it at you right before it explodes so when it gets near you the timer will go off and it will explode on you.

There is no way of going through all the possible ways of nade uses. He can pick them up while dash attacking over them, throw them while he is airiel, etc... You have to learn how to avoid them. Learn how to powershield them. If he is in the air and you hear a tink, he has pulled a nade and do not attack him cuz you will make the nade explode and then both of you will be sent airiel again. Get the timing down for the nades. Play with him and only use his nades to learn the timing. I dont care how you do it. Just do it if you really want to win.

C4

Now that the nades are done, lets talk about his c4. He can do many things with it. Basically if you see him plant it, dont run over it or else he will detonate it and kill you. I've died around 84% before from the c4 going off on levels with low cielings. Basically you have to listen for the sound that snake makes when he plants a c4. I cannot describe it, so you have to go listen to it for yourself. But everytime you hear it look vertically down and thats where it will land. Do not pay attention to snake cuz you want to know where it is. Snake can also detonate it in the air too. If you have sent him upwards in the air he can drop a c4 and detonate it on top of you if you arent paying attention. As a snake user I plant most of my c4's when I am jumping. Snakes will use misdirection and distraction to plant a c4 and therefore get a free 15% damage on you. The c4 can also be planted on you directly. If you get stickied by a c4 just run at snake and make the thing plant on him. C4 will jump from player to player when stickied. If you know you are gonna get detonated on, just shield or spotdodge the explosion and it will miss you.

Another reason you want to pay attention to the c4 is that it can, and will detonate without being detonated by snake, after a certain time being planted. Be aware cuz the occasional random explosion really does suck hardcore.

Tilts

Well well well. What to talk about next? Lets talk about what makes snake so awesome...his tilts. Now I am gonna include snakes jab combo in this section cuz it is just as important as the tilts if snake is going to use his tilts effectively. The first thing I will say is that his tilts will degenerate in power after each use. This is good for us. But bad in the sense that he has 3 different tilits to use lol. Lets talk about the ftilt first. Its a two hit combo and can do over 23% damage fresh. It startup time is next to nothing and lag time is just as snalle. The same goes for his utilt. The dtilt has a slightly higher startup time, but only a few frame difference. The tilts are snakes bread and butter. Without them he isnt snake. Be aware that the ftilt can trip you too so getting out of it can be impossible sometimes.

Now you should know that his utlit has ridiculously long range. So always watch out for it when you are at higher percentages. It has the best speed/kill ratio in the game. Just try to stay behind him or tjolt him when the snake is trying to utilt you for the kill. His dtilt is used more for damage racking. If his tilts are degenerating you will see the dtilt being implemented more. A combo to watch out for and not get baited into is nade>drop>roll back>crouch>dtilt when you roll towards him cuz you do not want to get hit by the nade.

The Jab

Lets talk about the jab next since this is what makes some snakes gods at smash. The jab cancels the tjolt. The jab comboes into tilits. The jab can kill. Basically it is easy to understand that holding down A will send a million jabs a minute from snake and they will cancel your tjolt. But you will get a small knockback so still use the tjolt cuz you can push them off the edge and then you get into edgeguarding. The jab, when it connects can either be used for a 3 hit combo, which will end in a kick and send you flying back, or they can stop the jab and turn it into a combo where they use ftilt or utlit to kill you. So it goes jab(one punch)>ftilt or jab>utlit or jab>first knee of ftilt>then utilt. Or another combo jab>dtilt>utilt. The dtilt sends you up a bit and bam, there is your utilt.

How to Counter the Tilts as Pika

So what to do against these tilts. You know all about them, lets talk about what to do about them. The most annoying thing a pikachu can do to avoid these is just plain aviod them all together and camp the entire match. But if you find a snake who is a good camper too or knows how to get in close you must know what to do. This is where spotdodging comes in. You can spotdodge all of his tilts and just drive snakes crazy. Its not hard too to know when a snake will use his tilts. SEriously, just dodge them and then go into an offensive. Be patient when close cuz if you get impatient and attack with a move that has lag you get punished by a tilt. You can also roll behind the snake when the are using their tilts. Probably the best place to be in this scenario. These are the only way around his tilits though. Remember this is just a guide so the best I can do is inform you of their ability and tell you what is effective. Sadly , in this case, there is only so much you can do.

The Mortar Slide

The next thing that is up for discussion is snakes mortar slide. Some snakes know how to use this and others don't. Some use extensively, others do not. Whatever the case is let me point out that what I am going to cover about the mortar slide is independent on the amount of times the MS is used.

The mortar slide is your basic hyphen smash for snake. But, since is can shoot out a mortar and depending on how your opponent uses the MS, it can slide across the stage due to snakes momentum. The snake can choose to charge up the MS and send the mortar way into the air. It allows him to get from one side to the other in no time. It gives him an offinsive option if you are in the air and he wants to hit you.

So what to watch out for and what to do in response. If a snake is about 1.5 snakes away(if you crouch with snake, 1 crouched snake =1 snake) then the MS is more than likely going to be used is you are in any way above him or coming to the stage. But, this isnt the only time he will use it. You see when the snake uses the MS he is using it for 1 of 4 reasons. (1.) To escape. (2.) He wants to hit you with the martar in the air. (3.) He wants to get closer and keep pressure on you. (4.) He is setting up a trap. The first three are self explanitory. As pikachu, you want to watch out for the MS as an offensive attack when you are SH tjolting. If the snake times it right then he can powershield and hit you with a well timed MS. But this is very hard to do as snake. The msot troublesome thing you have to watch for the the 4th option. This is how it happens. The snake will mortar slide next to you, wait about half a second, then begin to use his tilts or jab combo. Why is this so frustrating and effective you ask? Well its because if you grab snake or attack him the mortar will come down and hit you. If you do not attack then you can shield. If you shield you will be grabbed and still get hit with the mortar. If you have just performed an attack and have lag, the snake will MS next to you, ftilt you once, you will trip 2/3rds of the time, wait to hit you with the second part of the ftilt, and hit you you with it as the mortar hits you.

Now snakes can also charge the MS and shoot the mortar way into the air. The thing with this is that you need to have your timing down and know where it is. If you don't then you will get hit by it. The morar does not degenerate. It is always painful. There are different scenarios when he will use it. But the most often time is when you are recovering. He will MS to the edge>charge>shoot it up and wait to see what to do next. If you are close he will begin a series of edgeguarding techs. If you arrent close, he will charge up another MS. As pika, we don't worry about his as much cuz our recovery is amazing. We have to worry about getting off the ledge too early and gettnig hit by a falling mortar. Just ledgehog till it comes back down.

Now, countering the MS. There are 2 things you can to. Space the MS properly, or tjolt the s**t out of him. The MS can only go so far and when he gets up after it he expects you to be close or affected in some way by the mortar. Move back or qac away. If you fall back and get out of his ftilt range then the MS was just rendered ineffective. yay. You can also tjolt him. But, when tjolting, do not get into a rythm. DO NOT!!!!!! Snake players have the best timing than any other character, usually. Freak him out sometimes by QAC>sh tjolt>qac away>sh tjolt>sh tjolt>FH dj(double jump) tjolt>qac away>tjolt>qac 2 horizontal<tjolt...etc. Can you get the idea? Mix it up.

Now the idea came up of skullbashing(SB) snake while he is mortar sliding. Terrible idea. Do not do it. You SB has horrible startup lag. Its too hard to time. Even if you do pull it off, the mortar will hit you. There is no reason to SB here. Ever. Trust me.

Basic Strategies

Ok. Now lets talk about pikachu and what to do as pikachu to win this fight. You can start by tjolting. Some snakes cannot play against a tjolting spammer. If you find yourself in a fight with one then you have pretty much won the fight since you can tjolt him to a high percentage and destroy him with strategy you will read below.

If you find yourself in a fight with a snake who knows about jab canceling the tjolt and powershields excellently, well now you have to change up strategy a bit. The best thing pikas have against snake if grabbing. The more you grab snake the better chance you will have of winning. If you grab him before...we will say 55%...then fthrow him across the board and CG him. Use and abuse your CG. Free damage. If he is above then dthrow him into some utilts or usmashes or w/e. Combo his a*s. The more you can grab, the more you can get comboes in on him.

Being Aggressive

Now, when being aggressive against snake. The thing is that you want to keep you attacks airiel. Our tilts are at best useless against snake except when he has landing lag from one of his airiels or we have just spotdodged his entire ftilt. The nair/dair/uair are awesome. The fair is usually our best approach. Almost no lag and great combo strater. But, snakes do not run and love to shield into tilts. Now as a pika user you ARENT GOING TO APPROACH A SNAKE WITH A FAIR CUZ HE WILL SHIELD YOU AND HIT YOU WITH HIS TILTS!!!!! You will use the fair as a shield poker(if you will) and for spacing. This means jump<fair<land out of snakes range. You can also use it when he is in the air.

Some great things to do is land behind snake and uair him into some comboes too. Watch vids. I cannot explain how to approach fully.

Edgeguarding

As for edgeguarding. Pika has a lot better time edgeguarding against snake than other characters. This is one of our advantages that we can take advantage of. Since thunder starts so far above our heads it makes it harder for snake to get back onto the stage with his recovery. A well placed nair/dair can knock a snake off his cypher. If you grab a snake when he is recovering with his cypher you have just ended his life. Grab him and do not press anything. He will auto jump off and will not be able to do anything and fall to his death. Also, if you headbut his cypher he will fall to his death too. When he is hangin off the ledge keep pressure of him by tjolting and he will be forced to either ledge stall or get back onto the stage via cypher or jumping up. If he ledge stalls you can always grab the ledge before him and make him use his cypher. From there you can ledge jump>thunder and hit him. Most snakes will use their airdodge right before they land on the stage though toi dodge any thunder or attack. The video posted shows this quite well and how to counter it.

If the snake decides to use his cypher once you've grabbed the ledge drop down to him and knock him off again with a nair. Keep pressure on him when he's off the edge. Don't forget that the bair is also very effective to use off the edge. If the snake decides to hit the jump button though from the edge well you have a different scenario. He will come up and off the edge and more than likely use his nair. If he doesn't use his nair he will pull a nade out. Another wards, wait till he lands then start attacking him. You have time to attack. Be patient.

When snakes try to edgeguard they will use their mortars and nades. The will drop a nade near the edge>roll back>w/e. As pika, we have one of the best ledge stalling abilities in the game. Plus, we have the qac. There is no reason why we should get wrecked off the edge. Ledge stall. Wait till the mortars hit and the nades explode and use your qac to get away. If the snake is near the edge then use your uair to gets some hits in.

Killing

Now for the last part!!!!!! Killing and being killed. Snakes best kill moves are his utilt, nair, bair, fsmash, and his c4. More than likerly you will die from his utilt. It has the best speed to kill ratio in the game and kills pika at around 84% fresh and around 105% degenerated. The nair is easy to see but sometimes hard to avoid. The bair has little startup time and like the rest of his airiels, it auto-cancels. His fsmash has horrible startup time and a lot of lag. But it kills at like 60% uncharged. I myself have a setup when edgeguarding that allows me to use fsmashes with snakes and get some easy kills. So it is possible to get hit by it. The c4... well as long as you are paying attention you shouldn't get hit by it. If you get sticked try and resticky it to snake or shield it.

As for killing snake. Thunder and fsmash are your best options. Time your thunders off the edge and do not use your fsmash until you want to kill him. Utilt is your backup if your moves are degerating. Same goes for usmash. Don't be afraid to use your usmash though in the match. This will not be your best killing option so use it whenever you want to.

Last but not least...be smart. Be defensive. Be patient. Do this and you will win.

Helpful Video's

Esam vs. Siebrik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GyTN8EnICA

Overall Matchup

Pika: Snake
53:47

I love that it gives new players a fresh start. Everyone deserves a chance at winning and brawl can give you that.

I also love the fact that you can have more than one main and be proficient in more than 1 character.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Ken Neth http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=70968

Type(s) of researcher
Number Cruncher, Videographer, General Researcher, and possibly Frame Data Gatherer (I have never done any frame data, but I have a program that lets me go frame-by-frame and I am willing to learn how to do this)

Calculating/analyzing data
Problem solving
Experimenting with game mechanics/glitches and finding out what causes them

I am good with numbers, math, calculating/analyzing data, and I am a very hard worker. (I got a 35 on the ACT and am on a full-ride academic scholarship to BYU if that helps to prove it.) I also have experience with video editing programs and am very tech savvy.

I have a capture device where I can record things directly to my laptop to analyze the videos. The programs I have allow me to edit, go frame-by-frame, create movies, etc, so I can record and create videos on my own research, or anything else people need a video of.

I am also pretty technical, so I would be able to recreate something if I need to record a video for someone. (In melee, I picked up waveshining in a matter of an hour or so, I can moonwalk, etc.) I shouldn't have a problem recreating anything people need done for a video.

I record pretty much all the matches I fight with my friends, so every weird little quirk we notice in the game, I have video proof for. Then I can use these videos to try and recreate what had happened. I also play random a TON, so I have a very wide knowledge of this game and it's different characters.

Edit: I am also very skilled with photoshop, and can also do anything needed with image editing.

There are no threads for my current research, yet. So I will just recap my current research projects here.

I am currently working on gathering research about snake's jabs, why some characters are able to shield the third one (I've already found out it is because of character weight and %), and now am in the process of finding out at which percentage the third jab can be safely executed with no fear of the third hit being shielded on every character, with both stale and fresh jabs. The effects of different spacing on these percentages will also be taken into account.
Edit: I completed my research on the jab. Here is the link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6574674&postcount=159

There are also two other things that were really weird that I found while playing yesterday. The first one was I was able to push a kirby off the stage after he landed from his up-b, then kirby fell straight off the edge in a helpless animation. I have been trying to recreate this for awhile today, but every time I am able to slide the kirby off the edge, he just grabs the ledge. I will test this out till I can recreate this and find the cause of it. I have however, found a number of attacks that are able to push kirby far enough away so that he cannot grab the ledge. Edit: It turns out my friend was just being a complete noob and was holding both down and away from the edge. So

The second thing I found was when I killed a TL off the top he did not die by hitting the screen or star KO. He died the same way as someone dying off the side would (The explosion coming from where he died on the top, and him losing his stock immediately). This might not be ground breaking or anything, but it is something unusual and it's going to intrigue me till I find out the cause of it, LOL.

I have both of these incidents recorded on my laptop so that I can watch and analyze what happens (frame-by-frame if I have to) so that I will be able to recreate these easier than just going from memory. These last two things are good examples of how I would be able to help as a general researcher. I enjoy exploring every little detail about game mechanics and want to fully understand every thing I see. If there is something I don't get I will test it out over and over again till I find out what happened.

I love the diversity that brawl brings. There are so many characters, and every one of them has their own unique play style. Brawl's game mechanics and style of game play have something that intrigues me like no other fighting game has, or probably ever will. Smash is my passion.

I'm not going to go into everything I like about brawl, cause my application is already long enough as it is, LOL.

P.S. I know I don't have very much proof of my research yet. I just started all three of these projects these past few days, and none of them are fully complete yet. I plan to have the jab data done by tomorrow, or by Sunday at the very latest. The others will be done as soon as I can find the cause of what happened (hopefully really soon).

I figured that I might as well submit my application now, when Samurai Panda said "This is first come, first serve; we're not looking to add too many people. So the earlier you submit your application, the better your chance of getting that cyan name!" and then I would update my proof once I have it completed.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I was able to push a kirby off the stage after he landed from his up-b, then kirby fell straight off the edge in a helpless animation. I have been trying to recreate this for awhile today, but every time I am able to slide the kirby off the edge, he just grabs the ledge. I will test this out till I can recreate this and find the cause of it. I have however, found a number of attacks that are able to push kirby far enough away so that he cannot grab the ledge.
Any chance the Kirby was just mistakingly holding Down as he passed the ledge? :psycho:

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I've already thought of that, and he said he knows he wasn't. But then again, he could just be lying because he doesn't want to look like a noob. Anyways, I've tried holding down, and it does push him to his death, but it doesn't look the same as the other one. The other one looks like it pushed him too far away to grab it.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
2. Type(s) of researcher
(see list)
1. Rukkiko: http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=114602

2. Number Cruncher, Frame Data Gatherer, General Researcher

3. Im really good with numbers and equations, I maintain a great memory, and I have the ability to focus on tasks and use resources to get the job done efficiently.

4. Well its not like im going to be an MVP, but I can help greatly with the math and crunching the numbers to find conclusions. I can also help on multiple projects through multiple aspects. Im planning on purchasing a capture card if need be aswell. I have Homebrew so I can also work on that field. And, im gathering a lot of data on shields, and already im about to contact Amazing Ampharos about some findings for the topics he suggested.

5. My Shield Compendium post (link in a second) and I did find a general conclusion to the original DDD stale grab question.

6. My favorite aspects of Brawl are offense and defense. I like the coin toss theory behind them, and analyzing which works best in which situation.

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
Why not i'll give it a shot. ok here we go.

1. AgentJGV - http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=71887

2. I'd go for either Number Cruncher or a General Researcher.

3. I'm determined? lol. I don't really know what you're asking for. I'm good with math...if...that counts. I have the curse though that whenever I find something on my own, its already been discovered. But since i never knew about it and discovered it myself, i guess that a good thing? or not.

4. I can add whatever you need me to add.

5. I've worked a lot with the guys on the Ganon boards and our Twilight Prince's Chainchoking thread. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=215037 My research is on the last page.

6. What do I like most about Brawl? yes. But seriously. I'd have to say the thing I like most about Brawl is the way it can bring people from all over the globe to discuss a single topic. It's a game but look how many people are on Smashboards talking to each other. It still amazes me. Gameplay wise? I'd have to say the way momentum shifts between players.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
PinkPwnageFrenzy
http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=99602

2. Type(s) of researcher
General Researcher, Videographer

I'm very observant, I am excellent at explaining things, and I'm very determined.

When the Smash Lab was first formed and announced, I was excited that something like this was happening, and I would love to have a part in helping Brawl develop as its life goes on.

What I would uniquely add to the Smash Lab, I feel, would be my determination and observational skills. Often times I can pick out small details that others overlook, which may be the source of a problem, or otherwise an odd or unusual occurrence. Once I set my sights on obtaining a solution or explanation, I won't let it go until I've figured out what's causing it, and how to allow myself and others to benefit from it.

As for Videographer, I feel it would best compliment General Researcher. After all, it's much easier to analyze things if they're recorded. I have the necessary equipment to record and edit things, then put them where it can be easily viewed, be it Youtube or elsewhere. Also, I'm good at explaining things, so should I need to make a video explaining something, it would be easily accessible to whoever should watch it.

Most of my work is directly related to Dedede, and on the Dedede boards, which is because I main him. I have one video though, titled "Dedede Mine Glitch" which can be found here. I'd be more than happy to test things involving other characters, too.

I made a thread on how to chain grab with Dedede too, it got merged with the infinites thread, so it's kinda lost in there. Hit the button on the quote if you want to see the full post.
Now, Chain Grabbing is actually really easy, but apparently even easier to misconstrue...

At the moment I'm trying to figure out why characters appear to be falling through the stage after Dedede uses his Inhale, as seen in this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=215980

Brawl is very open. Unlike typical fighting games, there are a lot of options, more than in most fighting games. That's not to say I don't like other fighting games, I do, but I like the sort of casual pace that Brawl has, as opposed to other games. Brawl is also very deep, you can't just play it right out of the box and be pro. You have to work at it slowly, you have to go to various websites (Smashboards), you have to watch videos, etc.

The last part that really appeals to me is that it requires a lot of thinking. You have to correctly predict and adapt to your opponent, while keeping the illusion that you yourself are unpredictable. You have to know what options you have open to yourself.

Yes, some other games do these things too, but not the same way Brawl does, and that's why I like it.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
uhh, FadedImage
or worst case scenario you could click on my name slightly to the left of this...​

2. Type(s) of researcher
Number Cruncher + Videographer (if need be)​

In general, I'm great at critically thinking about a subject. Since I'm a compsci major, I do a lot of work with logic/problem solving, which is important for research. Combine this with the fact that I'm anal-retentive with regards to organization of data, and you've got yourself one intense researcher.​

I don't think there's too much to add that would be entirely unique to the smash lab. Let's be honest (one of my strong suits), there has to be at least one humorous, intelligent, analytical, sarcastic, competitive smash player in the lab already, I'd just add to the numbers. More seriously, I bring a lot of analytical skills to the table, which is necessary for a variety of smash lab functions.​

The community and reputation of its members. It's crazy when you start out as the proverbial scrub and slowly work your way up to become a respected member of the competitive community. It's always nice to know that people know your name and root for you during matches. It's a plus when people regard you as the most proficient user of your character (ZSS) in the region (SoCal, werd). Anyways, in general, just hanging out with all the other tourney-goers is a blast.​

Joshu

BRoomer
BRoomer

1. Joshu (King Joshu) http://www.joshu.com

2. General Researcher. Well, probably more of a Colonel researcher but I don't know much about military ranks to be honest.

3. I have been known to break the game with my research and cause huge leaps in the metagame (For instance, gravity cancelling [slice dicing]{twice jumping}|other one i don't remember|)

5. See number 3 also I invented Joshu Hopping and Joshu reversals which i'm sure everyone is familiar with as I do them all the time (also the battering ram {with or without fire})

oh my goodness I skipped 4 it's ok though I'll call 4 6 and 6 will be 8

6. I am Joshu

8. I like Brawl because i had a dream about sakurai once and he aclled me the chose one

this is my app as of 1-31-09 I will remake this tomarrow

EDIT 9. I forgot to mention sometimes I wear a hat.

Osi

Smash Ace

Osi :
http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=65980

2. Type(s) of researcher

Videographer: I make a lot of combo videos showing off the possibilities in brawl+ on the current code sets, I've been showing practice sessions and friendlies on different code sets to display how the changes effect a normal match, and I will be doing rather long video faqs for the 11 characters I play once a standard for brawl+ is done.

General Researcher: I test all the current codes on most of the cast daily versus 4 crew members in single and teams matches.

I would like to put making videos up there as one of the abilities I value a bit, but I'd be more help testing. I've been in QA for 3 years now, currently a assistant lead at an EA branch (look up shaun kiggens for validity on this), so I have a bit of experience in testing. For frame data, character balance, graphical errors, and stress testing the new sets I could put some of my job skills to use on brawl+. I've had experience on all 3 previous smash titles before brawl+, so most of the older techs that may come up and need testing wouldn't be too new for me.

I have testing experience, minor knowledge in programming/animation, video editing tools, and sexy blue posts!

Here are some combo videos I made for brawl+ so far. Working on a rather large falcon FAQ and combo video right now. I stayed simple on these videos, but I will be using AE/premiere effects a lot in upcoming ones.

Without Hope - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU9iyNzvjgY
Shadows - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijZoI3qE0_g
Fly for me (trailer) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsWWzLceb8g

The updated graphics, new characters to learn, and added changes of brawl+ are my favorite. I really love the fact the smash community has complete control over what is in our game with brawl+, and adding in the new characters to learn on brawl+ really gave this series a breath of fresh air for me.

II Bolt II

WS|Tournament Organizer
NNID
NintenBoLT
3DS FC
0748-2431-1255
Smashboard's Name:
II Bolt II

Smashboard's Profile Link:
http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=140399

Type of Researcher:
General Researcher and/or Videographer. (Dazzle)

Best Research Skills/Abilities:
Well in the past I have used none other than Youtube. Submitted Videos of peoples work with various characters allowed me to tamper with their ideas and formulate unique combos as well as identifying frame smashes. Currently, I go to Tournaments, and in the midst of competing in such Tournaments, I keep in mind of what I am seeing to later work with in my spare time.

Smash Lab Summary:
I as a Smash Researcher hope to bring to the community the aspect of the different flaws and/or benefits of the many characters available in Brawl. I believe all the Characters have the potential to be broken in just as much as Meta Knight has, and can be just as much a threat. Thus saying this, I do not believe in Tiers. It is my mission to prove this is true as a possible Smash Researcher.

Examples of previous work:
I have spent many hours in Training Mode in different variations of speed, discovering unique combos and frame by frame attacks such as "The Hyphen Smash". I have some knowledge in video editing, art design, and being a long time smasher since the N64 release of Smash back in April of '99, I've always been interested in Improving the skills/strategies of the Smash Community.

Favorite Aspects of Brawl:
My favorite Aspects in Brawl would be the Uniqueness in Characters. There are no Clones (like in Melee) with mild alterations. This game has been very well balanced to allow room for new Smashers to learn and excel with the Smash Community. Because I felt Melee to be a sorta "Street Fighter II Turbo" rather than a Smash Sequel. Brawl has great characters and great dynamics.

DUB

Smash Lord
Name

1) DUB - http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=129192

2) General Researcher / Number Cruncher / Videographer (Through Dazzle )

Skills & Abilities

3) I've been around smash for a while and have a keen eye on noticing things/movements/techniques that would be considered a mystery or unexplainable to others. Beyond characters and their meta games, I've studied stages in Brawl and got the timing of obstacles' appearances, platform movement, stage flipping, and all other factors that vary in each map. I make sure I record almost everything I do in order to have it on record.

My Smash Lab Addition

I believe I would bring an invaluable addition to the Smash Lab. I offer a perspective that is not commonly seen, perhaps a broader look at Brawl. Regardless, the information I can present is always useful.

Examples

* Stage Guide that explains hazards, overall stage usefulness, and general strategies.
*Multitude of videos showing how to implement moves into your game ( Diddy)

Favorite Aspects of Brawl

I love the new line of characters and the properties they bring with them. The birth of bananas being able to be pulled out by one move, being able to drop an explosive mine anywhere on the map for pressure. These are all things unheard of in Melee and make this game excellent. Every character has a deadly tool to help them deal with matchups. The diversification is lovely.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Just in case any of you guys don't know, we now have a debug menu code of sorts available to acquire frame data. I know this is an application thread, but I kind of thought this would be relevant.

Debug Pause:-(GCC)
80000000 805B8A08
0402E5AC 8819000B
4A000000 804DE470
38000000 EFFF1000
86410000 00000001
E2000001 00000000
4A000000 805B8A08
3A000002 00FF0000
12000002 00000001
E2000001 00000000
4A000000 804DE470
38000000 FFEF0010
4A000000 805B8A08
3A000002 FF000000
12000002 00000100
E2000002 00000000

Press Start to freeze the game(don't worry, the music and sounds are unaffected).
Press Z to step through frame by frame.
Press Start again to unfreeze the game.
(The new Start command is X+D^)

Button Modifier:
041E6CD8 4BE1C128
041E6D1C 4BE1C114
06002E00 00000068
9421FF80 BC410008
7CE4402E 7CE738F8
7CE73039 3864FFC0
7CE3412E 7CC4412E
B8410008 38210080
60000000 481E3EB0
9421FF80 BC410008
7C03202E 3DC01000
7DCE70F8 7C007039
740E0408 3DE00408
7C0E7800 40820008
64001000 B8410008
38210080 481E3EBC

Must be used with the Debug Pause Code.

To test out frame data for moves, pause the game with the start button. Then hold down the button for the move you want to test (or buttons, like foward+A would be foward smash) and press Z. The move will be executed on the next frame (just like when you unpause the game while holding buttons normally).

The Cape

Smash Master
1. The Cape: http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=14234
2. Hacker (mostly testing) and videographer
3. Play alot, test any and all aspects of moves to find combos, links, hitboxes, lag, and uses
4. I have the ability to find a use for every move. From this I can find new combos, links, and strategies that people usually dont think of.
5. Nothing specific except for my old Melee combo video and the Brawl+ matches in my signature. Mario in general as I like to think I helped recreate the character, and the fact that I was Dr. Smash in 2007 on smashboards.
6. I like the new abilities, like sheild rushing, raring, grabbing the ledge backwards, hugging, and the new air dodge system. Fresh new things always make me like a game more and for a longer period.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Just in case any of you guys don't know, we now have a debug menu code of sorts available to acquire frame data. I know this is an application thread, but I kind of thought this would be relevant.
This means I can gather frame data, too.

Yay.

D

Deleted member

just out of curiosity, how long are the applications gonna be open?

Adapt

Smash Lord

code

To test out frame data for moves, pause the game with the start button. Then hold down the button for the move you want to test (or buttons, like foward+A would be foward smash) and press Z. The move will be executed on the next frame (just like when you unpause the game while holding buttons normally).
Excellent... I hoped that this was in the works

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Ok, this is really useful, thanks!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Ugh, laggy computer johns for the double post, but I have a question: when will the "evaluation" come around? Just so I know when to be here.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Applications are running continuously. No pre-determined end date or anything. Just accepting people as it goes along.

shadowofchaos725

Smash Apprentice
1) Shadowofchaos725

2) Hacker & Videographer

3) I have a USBGecko and have some experience with hacking... although I'm still learning and nothing compared to Phantom Wings, Igglyboo, and the others... however I'll still do my best...

I have mainly experience with making tutorials through videos...

4) I have a USBGecko to test things such as new codes pretty immediately and my main talent is going into detail of a move through making a video...

5) Examples of Previous Work:

This video looks into "character specific" nature of Marth's Footstool to Dair Spike and which characters it works or does not work on... and a situation in which it will work with anyone...

Complete Guide to "Footstool Spiking" with Marth (Normal HQ Version) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=magcZxxaO7I

Complete Guide to "Footstool Spiking" with Marth (HD Version) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKG4amJJ6E

From this video, I was able to discover the compatibilities of "Double Final Smash" hacks.... and which Final Smashes "require" their effects...

I was also doing research using USBGecko how to fix this... but was ultimately confirmed by Phantom Wings will not work UNTIL a certain program is upgraded and completed by him, which can POSSIBLY lead to a fix for the freezes due to Final Smash "Incompatibility"...

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Hacks Edition Special Movie: Double/Dual Final Smash Montage (Normal HQ Version) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTwnyyo_Hmw

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Hacks Edition Special Movie: Double/Dual Final Smash Montage (HD Version) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWWYkvEB0HI

This video explains how Pikachu's Final Smash is a little "different" from Sonic's in how it is controlled...

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: How to use Pikachu's Final Smash (Volt Tackle) Effectively - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPkvuAahyEs

This one is pretty simple... It's a little fact I didn't know about Marth's Final Smash before...

Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Marth's Final Smash "Force Slash" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiXsoOYtJps

This is a set of videos that goes in detail on how to dodge Final Smashes... although... these are just concepts and tips...

How to dodge Final Smashes Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXM8FGOQVtg
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIEGbpthU7M
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tw2-32wK5g
Extras - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg4iNHcK__M

Just a little confirmation video from a question from a friend in another forum...

Pikachu's Thunder Goes through Hyrule Temple!? Yes it does.. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sz54_2vWx0

6) I love that the game has appeal to a wide audience, and hacking has made it even more customizable to each person depending on their personal preferences...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom