• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apply to become a Smash Researcher!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
1. Smashboard's name and link to profile

Blood_Hawk: http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=61331

2. Type(s) of researcher (see list):

General research.

3. Best Researching Skills/Abilities

I play my character at a very high level, attend tournaments regularly, and am always looking for ways to improve Lucario's metagame. I spend a lot of time analyzing moves and recovery options and looking for ways to improve these aspects.

4. Summary of what you will uniquely add to the Smash Lab

I will be adding any and all information I can on the Lucario as a character. Whether that be match up numbers. Options and different, unique ways to use his move set to create advantages, etc. (Whatever I can on other characters I play as well.)

5. Examples of previous work

Essay I did for the SBR.

When I think of Lucario, one word comes to mind; momentum. I can think of no other word that describes this character better.

Your goal is to build a momentum throughout the match to use against your opponent, as I believe this character is based heavily on that factor. Lucario’s Aura attribute is a very interesting one. The damage Lucario’s moves deal and his knock back is all dependent on his damage percentage and his standing in the match. This attribute is the tool that will help you build your momentum. It affects things such as the power of his all his moves and the size of the hit box of his Aura Sphere projectile.

Lucario’s game is all about knowing when to pressure your opponent and when to back off. Lucario is like a freight train in this respect. When he gets going he is hard to stop, but if he can’t get moving he is useless. You want to stay alive as long as you can to build that percentage for his Aura ability, while dealing as much damage as you can in the process. Lucario is no good to you if he dies at low percents all the time. You have to keep Lucario alive long enough to be able to KO after you damage your opponent. Lucario isn’t a character that can come back on a fresh stock and score a quick revenge KO unless your opponent is insanely damaged.

On the flip side, a Lucario at a high percent is very frightening. If your opponent lets Lucario build a good percent, he takes the chance of getting KOed at a relatively low %. This aura ability creates a tension line between you and your opponent. Your opponent is trying to KO you quickly and avoid your moves, while the Lucario player is trying to stay alive and land that KOing blow. Leaving a Lucario at a high percentage for too long will cost you the match very quickly if you are not careful. 3 stock comebacks have resulted from an opponent letting Lucario stay alive at a high percentage too long. Just because Lucario is down, doesn’t mean he is out.

Lucario has a ridiculous jab game as well as many mix ups out of jab. He can jab cancel into a plethora of moves or even just finish his jab combo for decent knock back. The third hit will always connect if you hit with the first two and don't hesitate with the third hit. Some of his better jab cancel options are; A grab (since his second jab sucks you in), a tilt, or even his side special Force Palm which doubles as a grab at close range. This makes Lucario very well equipped when he gets up close and personal. His jab mix ups also cover a ton of defensive options, so you can always cancel into a move that best suits your opponents defensive options.

Lucario is an absolute beast in the air. All his aerials are quick, can be chained easily, are impossible to punish if spaced correctly, and have a lot of range. Nair can be auto canceled into jabs, further increasing his combo ability. Dair utterly destroys anything below Lucario as well as stop all his downward momentum. Dair is very useful for edge guarding. If used correctly, Dair has an awesome stage spiking property that you can utilize.

Lucario, while excellent in the air, has a lot of trouble getting through some characters aerials. Moves with disjointed hit boxes and longer range give him a lot of trouble and almost nullify any chance of an aerial approach. You are reduced to following up your grounded strikes with your aerials (Metaknight’s, Marth’s, and Game and Watches’ aerials in particular). Heavier characters with low % vertical KO moves also give Luc trouble, as he cannot gain a damage base to KO with (Snake and u-tilt come to mind). Luc has to avoid these KO moves by spacing well, using projectiles wisely, and not putting himself in a low % KO situation.

His Projectile, Aura Sphere is one of the best in the game and one of his main KO moves. It gets bigger and stronger the more he gets damaged, ranging from the size of a softball at low percents, to a wrecking ball at max power. This is a good way for the opponent to gauge Lucario’s current power. It is quite intimidating when a high damaged Lucario has one of them stored, as getting hit by it at certain percents is a sure KO.

His smash attacks barring F-smash are pretty useless. D-smash is powerful, but slow and has little range. It is only useful for roll punishes. F-smash is a godsend. It is his main KO move and has insane range (more than Snake’s f-tilt!). It also has a tipper effect. This is his main KO move. What’s more, the IASA frames on F-smash make it hard to punish. Spaced F-smashes can create a great defensive wall that is hard to penetrate. Thus it is very spam-able with little worry about retaliation. His tilts are also all very fast and have nice range with less lag, so they are a good choice if you want to get your opponent off of you, while not suffering the lag of a smash attack.

Lucario’s biggest weakness lies in his non damaging recovery. It has a pretty slow start up and cannot damage opponents hanging on the ledge. Lucario is hardly helpless when an opponent has the ledge however. Extreme Speed allows Lucario to curve it multiple directions. He can curve it to a platform, on stage, or directly into a wall cling on flat surfaces. Dair stops all Lucario’s downward momentum, so it can be used for recovering mindgames. This can greatly aid in Luc's recovery if used right. Against characters like MK and D3, recovering can be quite a chore despite all that. Lucario doesn’t like being off the stage unless he is the one taking the opponent off and is in control.

To sum it all up, Lucario takes a lot of dedication to play. Lucario has a high learning curve and little appeal to most due to how much you must factor in to be good with him. You must also accept the fact that, at first, it is hard to gain a substantial lead most of the time. Most of your matches will most likely be nail biters where you must overcome deficits and beat your opponent in the clutch (this turns off most players to the thought of maining Luc, as they don’t do well in the clutch). Once you get to know his play style and learn the tools of the trade, he is an excellent character and you should find that those matches that were once considered clutch matches will sway in your favor most of time if you learn to use his abilities to their fullest.

Luc takes a lot of time to learn and use effectively. You must learn recovery instincts, what percentages you can chain moves (with your aura ability and your opponents %, this can be very hard as there are a lot of factors to consider), how to space his aerials perfectly, and survival instincts in general. Keeping Lucario alive is the most important thing to learn if you plan on playing him (good DI is very important here).

The Lucario player’s motto is: Take care of Lucario and he will take care of you.

6. What is/are your favorite aspect(s) of Brawl? And why?

I like how it is more of a battle of minds than tech skill. Tech skill could get you through a lot of things if that was sharp, in Brawl there is more of a focus on move choice, spacing, and creating scenarios to catch your opponent off guard. The game also has a very nice roster of unique characters some of which are untapped.

Veril

Frame Savant
1. Veril, http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=119724

2. General Researcher and Number Cruncher

3. I have worked as a statistician and paid cognitive science researcher (undergrad). I have extensive experience collecting, analyzing and presenting data. This experience has been applied to my Smash research in that I am: able to extrapolate on work of other players, investigate phenomena in the game other players may have ignored or overlooked, present the results of testing and explain my findings.

4. I am efficient, dedicated and as Bowyer has put it, "innovative and useful". I will continue to work on developing optimal DI, including knockback inversions, as well as any and all things Jigglypuff related. I will bring an absurd amount of Jigglypuff info to the Smash Lab. Oodles and oodles of it.

5. I discovered and developed the techniques known as perfect resting and rest interrupts, which are considered by many Jigglypuff mains as a very important advancement of her metagame. I have experimented with DI to create knockback inversion, an example of which is the complete negation of knockback from Lucas's up-smash. I discovered a glitch (variant of lightstepping) which allows Jigglypuff to refresh her Jumps offstage using her up-b. While this has likely been done already, I debunked an assertion that there was a 2 footstool hop limit (it is possible to get 4 in a row).

I am a member of the Jigglypuff backroom and well known (and respected... I hope lol) in that circle.

Video:
Rest Interrupts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZYMyP4qRzI
Sing Canceling (infinite jump glitch): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_upXyxnIaM&feature=channel
God DI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3_MGqugkuE&feature=channel
Quadruple Footstool Hop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35iyFKeppzI&feature=channel

6. The intricacies of the game mechanics of Brawl fascinate me, especially in regards to unusual and flashy character specific ATs. I like Jigglypuff, a lot... There is so much room to develop her as a character, with the glitchiness of sing, rests invincibility frames, finally getting frame data and hitbox analysis going. Its a very exciting time for Jigglypuff mains.

I also like competition, pretty colors, and cute video game characters.

D

Deleted member

I made some minor updates on my application, still in the first post

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
1. BanjoKazooiePro - http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=130181

2. I would definitely have to say that I'm a General Researcher. Even with school, I play this game an awful lot. With that being said, I usually find something unusual in my games, or something odd that catches my eye. I obviously have a main and a secondary, but a lot of my free time is devoted to playing with every character, testing for CG's, combos, hit boxes, etc. If I'm not playing matches with friends, you can bet I'm testing hit boxes or just experimenting with people in hopes of finding something new.

3. As mentioned above, one thing I have is time. I play daily, usually an hour or more, which I usually use to research hit boxes in depth. With that being said, my best researching abilities are probably finding hit boxes and researching DI. I take a lot of time to recognize what % a character can live to with DI, without DI, and which moves are good kill moves. That being true, it is vital that I know how large the hit boxes of certain moves are, so I can relate DI to moves such as sweet spots. (Ex: Marth's tipper sweet spot, Falco's Fsmash sweet spot, etc.) And of course, you can include my tolerance of messing around with characters for hours in hopes of finding a new skill or AT with them as an ability, if you wish. I'm willing to test things for a long time. :p

4. In terms of general research, I'll add whatever the smash lab needs. I test things such as AT's for great, great periods of time, and I really have a thing for discovering glitches and odd techniques or combos. I love to play whenever I can, so I can add whatever needs to be added when prompted.

5. One thing I have been researching and still am researching to this day is Marth's double dolphin slash onto stages. I'm researching what stages it's easily done on, how it's done, why it's useful, and where you need to be when off the ledge to pull this off. I've tested numerous AT's, a good example being Marth's AT: The DS ledge grab. I test them to find out whether or not they're useful, how they can be implemented into everyday game play, and if they can really swing a match into one character's favor. As far as I know, if you can perform the DS ledge grab quickly enough, you can acquire unlimited invincibility frames off the ledge. I've also previously been researching what I like to call, "The haircut". Occasionally, you can see that a little mark will appear on a character, depending on where you hit them, signifying that you hit them, however, no damage is inflicted. This is so interesting to me because after researching hit boxes for such a long time, I want to figure out why this happens and why it does not always inflict damage.

6. First of all, I love playing brawl. I think that after melee came out, I was excited to play brawl because it is a whole new game. I enjoy playing brawl a lot more than melee, mainly because it's a whole new game. Brawl is still what I like to call a mystery. It hasn't developed near as much as melee has, which means guys like me get a chance to figure out some new things to hopefully develop the game a bit more. The brawl community is also one thing I love about it. The boards give me things to test, read, and research. Overall, I love to play brawl, and hopefully I can develop the game a bit more by testing everything I possibly can. Brawl will develop as much as melee someday, and I want to help make it happen.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I have made some changes to my application on the first page. Edits are marked with (E: ) and contain more info on what I can add to the Smash Lab.

M.K

Level 55
Name: Meta-Kirby http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=66803

Categories
In order from "best" to "least" suited for:
-Number Cruncher-
-General Researcher-
-Videographer-
-Hacker- (Unable to Assist)
-Frame Data Gatherer- (Unable to Assist)
To me, my role as a Smash Researcher would be devoted to establishing base-line data in order for other researchers (who have access to frame data, hacking, and optimal video capture equipment) to skip this tedious process and move right to their speciality. I would lighten the load and reduce the overall time that it takes for an "experiment" to be completed. I do have access to video capture equipment through an acquaintance.

Experience
While I do not have much experience in the field of researching, I am wholly dedicated to the practice and will give my best effort always and forever.
I did participate in both discussions during the initial admission process.
Stale Moves, Shieldstun, and Shield Knockback Diagram.
I have made 54 posts in the Smash Lab, I believe 30+ of these posts have been for the good of the community.
I'm also an experienced spriter at the Custom Pokemon Shop. This may not apply to anything that the researchers do, but my 15+ page PhotoBucket account proves that I am dedicated to anything that I put myself to.

Interest
The things I have interest in are things that can aid the community at things I call "breaking points". My definition of a "breaking point" is something in the community that is so frustrating to take care of/deal with that people start to complain about it. Another definition of a "breaking point" include things that the general population has not found a answer for, such as grab combos, different grab releases, infinites, inescapable locks/combos, etc. Hopefully, with this application, I can be one of the proud researchers who do their very best in order to aid the community and further the metagame to it's HIGHEST level!

~Meta-Kirby~

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
#1 http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=130576

#2 I can be a Number Cruncher, Videographer and a General Researcher.

#3 I prefer to mess around with a character and try to find new things. I do record some of my matches and watch what happened over and over until I figure out what happened. ie When I though I found a QD cancel with Ike. (Turns out it was a glitch with Snakes mine.)

#4 I can add movies of what I have studied and discovered.

#5 LASER TECH: A guide to Falcos laser's

First off I would like to say that Falcos laser's have huge potential. They have a thousand use's and I decided to right a guide on these uses.

Let us begin.

Grounded Laser's
Just shoot lasers on the ground. This is most of the time not used for the following reasons.

#1 It has really bad ending lag.
#2 It shoot's slower compared to laser's shot in the air.

Needless to say they aren't all bad, but they don't belong in a pro match for the most part. Mostly beginners use this tech because it's easy to use.

Uses
Use grounded lasers to laser lock someone. A laser lock is when someone has fallen on the ground (not a normal trip but one that Falco deal's to the foe) and you fire your laser's so when they are hit they repeat the falling animation taking damage. Basically it is impossible to get out of, so it's a true combo.

SHL or Short Hop Laser
This is performed by doing a short jump and squeezing off one laser. When you land you recieve no lag. Try and time a dash upon landing to keep Falco moving.

Uses
This is good at keeping you mobile, making it harder to counter you in your time of lag. Basically replace grounded lasers with this.

The SHL is good as a retreat as well. To do this just backflip and shoot a laser. However, you have to do it in the following way.
Short Hop Back Flip> when going left to right shoot the laser when his feet is pointed at 10 o' clock : when going right to left shoot your laser when his feet is at 2 o' clock> repeat (doing this prevents Falco from turning around)

The SHL is also good for the following strings/combos.

#1 SHL to grab.
#2 SHL to Phantasm.
#3 SHL to A combo.
#4 SHL to Dash Attack.
#5 SHL to f-tilt.
#6 SHL to d-tilt to grab. (Only at certain percents.)
#7 SHL to Dair.
#8 SHL to Nair.
#9 SHL to Boost Smash.
#10 SHL to Gatling/DLX Combo.
#11 SHL to Reflecter.

SHDL or Short Hop Double Laser's
This is the upgraded version of SHL. However, it is hard to do correctly and effectively. To perform this shoot the first laser at the peak of his jump, followed by a second laser before you hit the ground. Try and time a dash upon landing to keep Falco moving.

Uses
This is a good tech because it goes above thier head (If they aren't a big character) and one laser hits them. So it greatly hinders the movement.

The SHDL can be used for a retreat as well. However, this not as good as SHL retrear in my opinion. Here is why.

#1 You can't get two laser's off because he turns around when you back flip.

#2 You can'y get as much movement as a back flip SHL.

Now none the less, this is still a really good tech. It just doesn't apply as much movement when moving backwards.

The SHDL can also be used as a string/combo starter. The following states the strings/combos.

#1 SHDL to grab.
#2 SHDL to Phantasm.
#3 SHDL to A combo.
#4 SHDL to Dash Attack.
#5 SHDL to f-tilt.
#6 SHDL to d-tilt to grab. (Only at certain percents.)
#7 SHDL to Dair.
#8 SHDL to Nair.
#9 SHDL to Boost Smash.
#10 SHDL to Gatling/DLX Combo.
#11 SHDL to Reflecter.

The SHDL can also be done in reverse by tapping the analog backwards, returning it back to it's neutrel state and firing yah lasers! *note* This is hard to time because you will perform Phantasm by mistake if your not careful.

Here is a cool little trick.
Run, reverse SHDL off the edge (time it so both lasers hit), jump and fire off two more laser's recovering back to the stage.

I personally adore this trick.

Laser Barrage
There's no name for this so I just gave it the title Laser Barrage. Basically you perform a full jump and fire four laser at foe's recovering from the upper corner's of the stage. You can also do a full jump, fire two laser's, mid air jump and fire three laser's.

Use's
This is good at annoying you foes. It seems to make them iffy about recovering from above the stage. So they prefer to recover from below the stage. Use this to your advantage.

You can also laser lock them in the air this way. I call this LAL or Laser Air Lock. *note* This is not a true combo and only works on the following characters.

#1 Ganondorf
#2 Bowser
#3 King Dedede
#4 Ike
#5 Donkey Kong
#6 Snake
#8 Wolf
#9 Falco
#10 Marth
#11 Zero Suit Samus
#12 Link

This list is unfinished as of right now.

To do this simply line yourself up with a foe that falls around the same speed as Falco and start firing laser's while your are both falling. It looks truely epic!

Laser Tech For The Ledge
Laser's are also good for your ledge game. Here are a list of tech's you can do on the ledge.

#1 Ledge Hop Laser's:: Let go of the ledge, perform your mid air jump, shoot a laser and regrab the ledge.
*note* You will auto grab the ledge with one laser and if your timing is right you can auto grab with two. However if you get your timing down well enough you can squeez off three. You will have to perform Fire Bird though. Which can be bad for you cause they can edge hog you.

#2 Ledge Hop To Laser's:: Simply perform Ledge Hop Laser's except DI back to the stage's surface.

#3 Wall Jump to Laser:: You can jump off a wall and fire a laser in the direction opposite of the wall. This can be used for your edge game at stage's like Yoshi's Island (Brawl version).

All Other Laser Tech's
This is more of an area in the guide where the laser tech's don't belong anywhere else.

#1 Silent Laser: This is one of Falco's best laser techs. As the name states, when this laser is shoot it has no sound. When you are close to a foe and this is performed followed by a quick it can be a true combo. (A true combo is one where it's impossible to get out of.)

A silent laser can be performed right before Falco hits the ground. The timing is hard but well worh it.

This can be used for SHDL and SHL.

#2 Fall Through Laser: Basically you duck through a plat form and fire a laser before hitting the ground.

*note* A silent laser can be used in this tech. However, it is difficult.

#3 Wall Jump To Laser's: This is a good tech for stage's like Shadow Moses Island or Corneria. Basically you wall jump and start shooting laser's. Real simple, but can be unexpected.

#4 Reverse Laser's: Okay, this is a sweet trick. Simply do a back flip and quickly fire your laser's. Falco should turn around when he starts shooting.

There is also a second way to do this. Just simply tap the analog to the direction you wish to face, return it back to the center and hit the B button as soon as possible (with out Phantasm suiciding). -_-

#5 Stale Moves and Laser Damage: Falco seems to have a very strange projectile. He suffers from stale moves by a percentage. ie If you look where it's doing 1 2 1 2, he is actually doing 1.5 damage. So when the next laser connects it will be. .5 + 1.5= 2 Here is a list of how much each conecting shot takes off.

#1 3%
#2 2%
#3 3%
#4 2%
#5 2%
#6 2%
#7 1%
#8 2%
#9 1%
#10 2%
#11 1%
#12 2%

Now it continues like this up to one hundred conecting shots have been fired. It isn't always one two though. Around 40% you fire about five lasers that do 2%. It does this with 1% as well.
Also, the lasers only suffer from stale moves if they hit. I fired about thirty lasers away from the foe. The first to connect done 3%.

Now you can refresh your lasers so it goes through its cycle again. To do this just get four attacks to connect. Oh, and the spinning slaps don't negate.

#5 Distance Negation: No matter how far the laser travels. It will never decrease in power.

Laser Uses On Different Stage's
This is a section on how to use laser's at different stages. *note* I will begin testing shortly.

Video's

Laser Storm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5IgaK9SaiM

Well, that's it. Please tell me if I left something out and I'll add it. Also, if I have miss information please bring it to my attention.

#6 I like how it is so competetive and just how the gameplay works. I also like how knowledge is power in that game. ie Combo's (the few that are there), techs, tactices and me other aspects. I try to advance my own game through my methods. Maybe I can help advance this game with my methods over all.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Acceptance PMs will be sent out soon. I'll post again in this thread when that happens.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
As an update on this, we have finished going through the applications, and have a final list of those who will be accepted. We're waiting on a few details on our end to clear up before we send out acceptances and assignments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom