• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012- What Happened?

zmx

Smash Lord
Tink
v
v
v

The real thing is that MK, UMVC3 and SSF Are more fun to watch then brawl, That's why they get Evo to support them, because brawl is always the same thing, you know

Marth, GAW, Snake, Wario, DDD(Rarely), IC's, Metaknight >>>ARE ALWAYS THE ONES ON FINALS<<<

From 38 characters, approximately 7 of them are listed in finals match and results

Really, i never saw a tourney that an Ike main(example) won top 10

BRAWL WAS MADE FOR YOU TO PICK UP YOUR FAVOURITE CHARACTER AND HAVE FUN WITH IT, NOT A EASY WAY OF WINNING MONEY, EARNING MONEY IS NOT THE PURPOSE OF GAMING

''The prize is high? OH YEA I'M GONNA GET MARTH BECAUSE CHANCES OF WINNING ARE SO MUCH HIGHER THAN PICKING UP LINK, RIGHT?''

I know you can just tell me to quit because i appear to be flaming the game, but no, i really like brawl, it is my favourite game since 2008 and i still have hopes for us, Boards are dying and hopes are getting crushed because the backroom is filled up with a bunch of people that can't run decent tournaments like the UMVC or MK ones ;)
I'm trying to find something you posted that is correct. So far I'm failing.

Edit:

Okay, /Games/tournys shouldn't be about money is a legit statement. But that's about it really.

It is pretty clear despite around for long that you know very little about the brawl scene. Lol @ GnW/Marth always being in the finals. And Ike places top 10 from time to time. Sometimes he even gets second/third. Do you even LOOK at tourny results? It's one thing being ignorant, it's another to pretend you're not.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
About your second complaint, they're called trolls. You have the option of placing anyone in the chat on ignore if you don't like what they're saying.

Dunno why it matters, though. Even without trolls, there are easily hundreds of people in the chat, and you can't exactly have any sort of significant discussion happening when each post disappears from view after like 1 or 2 seconds. I just turned the chat off.

zmx

Smash Lord
About your second complaint, they're called trolls. You have the option of placing anyone in the chat on ignore if you don't like what they're saying.

Dunno why it matters, though. Even without trolls, there are easily hundreds of people in the chat, and you can't exactly have any sort of significant discussion happening when each post disappears from view after like 1 or 2 seconds. I just turned the chat off.
This. The chat was an absolute cesspool.

RATED

Smash Lord
Just for the record, I was a mod, but I was mostly watching the stream from my phone, which doesn't have a chat option. Moderating over the phone would be stupid anyways, lol, so yeah.
Didnt knew, but you could have given the modship in the chat to someone else so that it could be done. Just saying. Anyways is not like the chat couldnt be ignored. Just like I did

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Justin would use any controller you put in front of him. He won the first 3 rounds of the Gamestop nationals on IN STORE xbox demo station pads.

There is way more variation in arcade sticks than gamecube controllers, anyway. Even though the ubiquitous nature of Madcatz TE's nowadays are pretty much standardizing the market.

Even though this isn't M2K's first rodeo with "OMG i got my controller stolen, so I threw the match" line of defense.
I don't really care what he did at playntrade last summer, I asked you if Mr. Wong uses a GameCube controller.

:phone:

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
No good controller or not, I find it hard to see any kind of serious competition when someone openly admits they split money and forfeit with someone because the two of them thought that the one would make it further. Awful, really upset I learned about that.
Didn't you get two entries into one tournament? lol.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Interesting thread, though OP your words would hold more weight if you attended.

My only problem was while trying to enjoy the marvel stream I had to listen to two jabronis talk about how bad smash was consistently

Like not even commentating on the matches.
LMFAO, that sucks bro.

I commentated for Smash Bros Brawl, it was epic to talk about some of the best Brawl matches ever, didn't even think about mentioning any of the other fighter games, SHOULDA TOOK SHOTS SINCE THEY WENT AT US THO! xD

:017:

jbro

Smash Ace
I'll throw my two cents in, being someone who didn't go to Apex but watched the stream for a majority of the weekend.

1) Big ups to Jaxel and 8wayrun and anyone who helped him set up the stream. It was so very well done. I don't have a computer at home but was able to watch it on my TV at home with my PS3. Very lucky, but I got to chill on my couch. Awesome.

2) I enjoyed the Melee streaming very much. Dogysamich and Prog were awesome. It was a perfect balance of knowledge and comedy and was extremely entertaining. Also, if you took Prog's anti-USA stuff seriously, I don't know what to tell you. It wasn't all politically correct, but he was blatantly joking. So shoutouts to both of them for being great.

3) Allow me to preface this next part by saying that I'm primarily a Melee player. I dabble in Brawl in friendlies at tournaments and whatnot but I'm not at all competitive. That being said, I tried to give watching some Brawl on Saturday a shot and could not do it. It wasn't even the game (which I don't find that exciting to begin with, but that is personal preference and I'm not trying to start an argument there), but I couldn't deal with the commentary. I had to shut it off. I don't know who the people were because as I said I don't play Brawl, but apparently I'm not the only one who had an issue with it.

4) This last part isn't on the streamers, it's on the TOs and whatnot. I understand things get behind. You do what you've gotta do. However, I had my day set up so that I could watch Melee finals (what I had been waiting for all weekend) around 2 as scheduled. Now, I expected things to get a little behind, but I had to leave my house around 5 pm and Marvel was still going on (which I enjoyed, I don't know a ton about the game but it was hype). So I eventually saw Melee finals on Monday, but by that time all the hype and buildup of the entire Apex weekend was definitely gone. Very disappointed in that. I'm not trying to whine, I realize they had a lot of stuff to get done. But yeah, I'm sure you all understand.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
My only problem was while trying to enjoy the marvel stream I had to listen to two jabronis talk about how bad smash was consistently

Like not even commentating on the matches.
I didnt see the whole of the Marvel 3 Tournament(mostly cus I just didnt care) but from what I saw there wasnt a lot of Smash bashing. There was quite a bit of them making fun of the fact that a lot of top 8 either came from smash or had once played smash(Noel Brown used to be a smash player, Unknown522 and Alu im sure you know. There were others too, i just forgot whom) And Skisonic even said after the tournament he was looking forward to watching melee and was even one of the lucky few who had taken a college class on Melee.

The biggest problem with the MvC stream was just the fact that it was Quotes and Skisonic. Mr Quotes just likes to yell a lot at nothing and it gets kind of annoying and Skisonic just sort of doesnt have the voice for commentating.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
The 4th point in the OP is one that is largely overlooked by the viewers at home. There were several things horribly wrong with the running of the tournament that resulted in the schedule falling so far behind. I feel like I need to post/blog my thoughts about that, as someone with a unique perspective since I basically was half-attendee half-staff.

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
5. That annoyed me quite a bit. Also what was the point when Isai just sandbagged/ screwed around and CJ just spammed needles like a tool.....wtf.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
So basically, the tournament was badly done, and everyone's butthurt? I'll have to check out some videos later, though I'm sure it's justified. Still...I don't know what you were expecting.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
tourny was pretty bad overall but great people/experiences still made it worth the plane ticket

sheridan and fullmetal ran a 320 person melee tournament by themselves btw, i put 0 blame on their shoulders
I'm glad SOMEONE noticed, Lovage. lol =)
I would say that the tournament was far from perfect- but Hyuuga and I did the best we could with the timeframe we were given.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Why do people hate on Prog's commentary so much? The man is hilarious, and he still gives a good insight into match ups, players, etc. You don't always need a play-by-play analysis.

NNID
MasterHavik
As a Mk player. I ****ing love Smash to death! I can't believe Mk players would say such a thing. If they play KL or Scorpion. Don't listen to them. Those are the guys who go 0-2 at any mk tournament. I can't wait for a new smash games.

P.S.

How was the turnout for brawl and meele?

Also, why make Apex apart of the road to EVO if it's made for smash bros. and pokemon? That's kind of a smack in the face.

The Iron Wolf

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the blog completely - ESPECIALLY the part about immature idiots and buffoons flooding the stream chats. While it doesn't sound like a big deal, as a viewer of the stream, the chat needed moderators badly. Trashing each others gaming communities? I can't believe this **** still happens lol.

Still bummed that Brawl crews didn't happen as well. That's my rant. I don't really know why. Time constraints? Would appreciate if someone filled me in.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
400 brawlers, 4 people per pool 3 sets each 4 minute(or more) matches 80 pools. infinite tornadoes

best case scenario = 64 hours of brawl just for r1 pools in singles. its a miracle they finished that tournament

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
The 4th point in the OP is one that is largely overlooked by the viewers at home. There were several things horribly wrong with the running of the tournament that resulted in the schedule falling so far behind. I feel like I need to post/blog my thoughts about that, as someone with a unique perspective since I basically was half-attendee half-staff.
you should, i'm interested to read it

erbanez

Smash Apprentice
I've organized tournaments before, and I understand how hard it could be for the TOs to take this criticism. It's tough. But I agree with the criticism, and I really hope that the next time (if there is a next time) that APEX happens, it'll be just Melee and Brawl, because the biggest problem with this one was the Marvel vs Capcom, the Street Fighter, and them being quite unlikable in general.

gghhh3

Smash Apprentice
Stream chat was horrible, but what stream chat isn't?
I look forward to more joint SF/MvC/KoF/MK/Smash tournies, I am a fan of video games in general. I hope people can figure it out and get it smooth in the future.
"Why help FGC people" blah blah blah. Honestly, I feel if we teamed up it would be better for us both(though not easy). Larger tournies(big numbers=bigger chance for sponsors) possible increase in players(doubt it for smash, but still a fair assumption) and lastly, it is not only a smash tourny.
Stream quality was good, disregard the stream noobs out there.
Splitting is perfectly fine, get over it.
Prog's commentary is fine, the whole "I hate USA" was a joke and if you could not see that, well my god then.
People that don't know, top 8 of pretty much any stream with multiple games gets streamed on 1 channel. Why? I don't really know, but it works perfectly fine.

Yes things could have been smoother, but we are human.
Commentary for Marvel top 8 was pretty dumb. OMG SMASH BROS LOLOL. KILLING ESPORTS(Esports on the mic has been really annoying).

Umm I think that is all for now.

NNID
Budget_Player
I dont get how people are saying FGC had priority on the stream, when that clearly isn't true...

I have 3 hours of recorded gameplay from FGC...
I have 26 hours of recorded gameplay from Smash...

STFU.
The problem isn't so much that we watched 3 hours of FGC footage. UMvC3 was a blast to watch, with great commentary, and street fighter would've been fun if it hadn't devolved into fireball wars... Where's our Poongko or Daigo, is what I wanna know. No, the problem isn't the we were watching FGC. The problem... Hmm, how should I put this? Not a single Mr R bracket set was streamed. Mr R, arguably the best player in Europe, one of the absolute most hyped Marths in existence, got no tournament stream time. That's... bad. And he didn't go 0-2 0-2 out, he got like 17th. There were plenty of opportunities. It... just didn't happen, because we had to watch Dieminion spam sonic booms at Santhrax's hadokens for some stupid reason. Am I bitter? Oh, ever so slightly. :glare: There's a reason that there were supposed to be two streams – so that exactly this doesn't happen. But it did, and at Brawl's equivalent to EVO, we saw top 8 on the stream, and nothing more, even though everything in top 64 was hyped as ****. This is a problem.

It perplexes me why anyone in the smash community wouldn't want to be closer to the fighting game community.
No. As long as this "Smash Is A Party Game" attitude remains heavily prominent among the FGC, then I personally have absolutely no interest in getting us closer to them.

Do you not want to be respected as a fighting game?
You know what this smacks of? "People don't take video games seriously!"

Who the hell do you still want to respect us as a fighting game? Who do you think is going to change their minds? EVO? Yeah, like that's gonna happen. MLG? Already knows we're a competitive fighting game, but doesn't run us for other reasons. No, when a Capcom dev admits that after playing more smash, he think's it's a competitive fighter, then those who are still skeptical, those who still assert "smash is a party game for little kids"... They're not credible and need to stfu.

And what better source of new blood than people who already enjoy fighting games?
This statement looks good on paper until you realize that many of those who already enjoy fighting games are already heavily biased against smash.

Top Bottom