• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012- What Happened?

Kite91

Mada Mada Dane
Now I did not attend Apex 2012, and I'm only writing about what I have heard about and also what I have seen via the stream. Anything that is wrong I'm sorry for saying anything about these are just my opinions. These are just some problems I've seen and maybe some solutions.

Also I wanna say I respect Alex Strife and the rest of the people who are running Apex 2012, I can understand that it's probably very hard to run a tournament of this size and give them props for it.

1. Get your Hadoukens out of my Ken Combo

First off this is a Smash tournament. The main priority of this tournament should be Smash. I understand that players love playing other fighting games, and that the Smash Community would like to get more noticed by the other community's but when hosting multiple tournaments gets in the way of the main tournament then there's a problem. I'm happy to see that Evo put this as the first qualifier for the biggest fighting game tournament but the fact that Melee nor Brawl is a part of that tournament hurts me. Why are the hosts putting their time into making sure that the SF, UMvC, and MK tournaments are done and done right when the main reason why Apex exists isn't getting as much time and thought put into it as it should. Its a 3 day tournament and from past tournaments that I've seen, 3 days is usually just enough to get the 3 Smash Tournaments done since things can go wrong and have gone wrong so really there isn't any room for more tournaments.
Also when we get comments like this from Sf and other players it's just unrespectful to the community and the Tourney Hosts.

"@JWonggg @PR_Balrog @NoelBHungry They ran the entire tournament so terribly, primarily because the main events are Smash & Pokemon."

2. Chat Filter = Off

I was in the chat room on Day 1 for probably 5 minutes and I wanted to Falcon Punch the screen. It didn't take too long to realize that no one was watching a chat room that really needed to be watched. Now I don't know who's job it was, if it even was someones job, but there should of been someone banning people from the chat. After reading several SF, UMvC, and Mk players say repeatedly how Smash isn't a fighting game, or how bad the Smash community is, it just annoyed me how these comments just went excused. Yes I know that you can hide the chat, which I did do, but there are plenty of Smashers on there who just want to talk to each other or even someone at Apex to maybe get some info and what not. I do understand that Live Streaming isn't always guaranteed but when it is we really shouldn't have to tolerate that especially since the tournament hosts were nice enough to add those games to the tournament.

3. Commentators need more Commentate

I watched a bunch of the stream Day 1 and a little of Day 2, it is possible Day 3 will be better I'm just saying what I've seen so far. Now I was happy to see (for the most part) that when it came to the sponsors being mentioned they did mention them and give them credit every 30 minutes or so, but when it came to actually commentating the matches they weren't really that focused on commentating. It could have been just because it was pools and really those aren't that interesting. I'm hoping for great commentating during top 8. I think it would be cool to get unknown facts, or what said player said about his opponent before hand, or even how they have been training for this match up. Don't get me wrong I love listening to DoggieSammich(I think I slept that right) and such on streams with no video of the commentators, but when they come dressed professionally and I can see them I expect Professional commentary(maybe just me).

Another thing were the interviews. At the moment I only saw an interview with Armada. I heard there was gonna be more which I always love watching, but of course no more that I've seen.

Day 3- I was very impressed, defiantly did a much better job.

4. It's 1 o'clock in the Morning...Do you know where your Opponent is?

I heard that a lot of the pools were being played well passed midnight. Now I understand that these pools need to be done but....what happened that they are being played so late. I mean all Johns aside, when your tired it does affect gameplay and that's a big issue. The fact that Smashers are going to bed late then waking up early will effect their play. We have players like Javi and Ice that this is their first American Tournament(if I'm wrong I apologize this just what I've heard) and if they lose cause they had to stay up til 1am then wake up at 9am, they have a right to complain if they truly believe that their gameplay suffered from being tired. This also from having to run the other tournaments. Again this could have been avoided.

5. I NOW PRESENT ISAI vs..no Dr.PP..No I mean Isai..wait..no never mind its Dr.Peepee vs Captain Jack

Don't get me wrong, I was Surprised and Ecstatic when they said that Isai was gonna play CJ, but...where was he? I mean the fact that time was wasted for that one match to happen was just stupid. Matches like that could wait for Saturday, a day where Melee wasn't being played. One TV could have been put aside to record matches like that, that people wanted to see.

Another thing is the fact other friendly's were being played when pools needed to get done.

6. Melee or Brawl?

This one is basically cause of M2K but also can be said bout some other players. I heard that M2K raged and quit after being thrown into losers by Wobbles. Now I'm not trying to say he shouldn't have lost that match but I'm saying that after he lost..He Also Had Brawl Matches To Play. This is a another problem, players having to either pick one game or another or try and focus on both. It was said that Brawl and Melee would be different times and days, but I'm now hearing that since they are behind they are both being played at the same time, which isn't fair.

I saw a comment that was right. This tournament has been in the making for what? 1 and a half to 2 years. shouldn't more thought have been put into this?

Again these are just my thoughts. Please go ahead and give me your opinions as well as any facts or points I missed. I could easily be wrong with my thoughts, these are just what I've seen.

Just to show that I don't wanna trash Apex 2012, there were things I was very impressed with.

1. Stream- Best quality and format used thus far in any smash tournament.
2. The World- Armada, Ice, Javi, Hack, and Captain Jack. Very happy to see great players from all over the world coming to prove their stuff.
3. Crews- Actually got done..well Melee anyway. Next step....Bring Back East Coast vs. West Coast rivalry with Crews.
4. As of right now...there's no reason why people won't get paid (Pound5)
5. Still bringing people together and created some great moment.

As I said I respect the Hosts and give them props, I just wish more thought was put into this Tournament

Gaara♥

Smash Master
1. I agree
2. There really isn't anything that ANYONE can do to prevent people talking smack about our game or our community in the livestream chat. Sure the moderators could ban them but they will always keep coming back. Just don't let what the people on the internet say bother you I guess lol.
3. I really didn't have any problems with the commentary other than when Prog wen't off about how he hates America during the USA vs The World melee crew battle.
4. I agree
5. I felt like they were just trying to create some super hype that didn't quite live up to its projected hype...?? I don't know lol

Kite91

Mada Mada Dane
3. I really didn't have any problems with the commentary other than when Prog wen't off about how he hates America during the USA vs The World melee crew battle.
That was basically my biggest thing problem as well. hoping to see great commentary today

Also I will update after Apex as well with anymore issues or whatever.

kevo

Smash Journeyman
I agree with every last sentence, word, and punctuation mark in this thread. I'm glad I'm not alone. The first thing I do when I tune into the stream every time is turn the chat off. They STILL have Street Fighter on the stream when it should be Melee. I'm not missing this weekend's NFL playoff games to watch Street Fighter.

The quality is great, but I think Apex focused too much on overextending its scope instead of giving us a quality Smash tournament. We still are not even clear on results that happened hours ago. The Apex twitter hasn't been updated in forever. Someone with access to the Tio file and Smashboards should be updating in near real time. At least flash the bracket image on the stream once in a while. It's these little things that make great tournaments REALLY great, but nope. We have to stream Street Fighter and have all these trolls on the chat.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
If anything is disappointing me for this tourney it's the sheer fact that the twitter is empty. Even if it doesn't have bracket updates there should be important matches going on and we should have an idea for who's still in and who's out. I'd be pretty okay with everything going on if we at least had twitter updates.

I don't really mind anything else and this tourney's being ran pretty well considering the amount of games at this tourney.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
This was a huuuuuge disappointment from a spectating stand point. I was planning on donating a lot, but I'm not any longer.

I've watched this stream for around 10 hours, not in a row, and I've seen likeeeee 3 singles matches and a lot of doubles and now Street Fighter/Marvel....

What? That is just wrong.

I hate their community and the way they treat us. I feel like Street Fighter is the Call of Duty of the fighting game genre. Just because it's the most popular, doesn't mean it's good.

I thought Apex was a smash tournament and from watching the stream, I can't even tell.

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
I watched the end of melee crew battles and I watched the evening of brawl on saturday. I was working on those days so I couldn't see everything. Today, I was finishing work very early, just anticipating to get a nice day of smash tournament viewing. What I get? I ****ing boring marvel vs capcom 3 tournament and street fighter 4 tournament instead of watching my smash games. Weren't they supposed to be TWO streams there, one for smash, the other for the other fighting games? WHAT THE **** HAPPENED? This is a huge letdown in all honesty.

Rockenos

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm dumb (This was my fault) and didn't know there was no Melee yesterday, so I was dissapointed to see Brawl most of the day and most of TODAY has been bad fighters.
Guess I'll get to watch like an hour or two of Melee today... cool...

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Top 8 for brawl was not a letdown in the slightest. At least the very small moment of singles showed greatness.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Sadly, I agree with everything the OP said :/

this tourney was supposed to bring us closer to the FGC (which im opposed to) but it only made us look like more of a joke

BSP

Smash Legend
The attempt was noble, but I don't think it worked out so well

Edit: We all should've expected the chat to be full of disrespect, so I'm not too bugged about that...

But I want to know how the FGCs acted towards smash at the actual tournament. I really hope they weren't as disrespectful as the stream monsters.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the people going SF/MvC > Smash and vice-versa were just trolls trying to get smashers mad, and people going Smash>SF/MvC were counter-"trolling" or just trying to make us look bad. The rest were just the noobs that don't know much about either games and have no respect.

My biggest problem with the tournament was seeing MvC in the Melee/Brawl stream.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I feel like Street Fighter is the Call of Duty of the fighting game genre. Just because it's the most popular, doesn't mean it's good.
Ok I do enjoy a bit of Call of Duty, but I totally agree.

Competitive Street Fighter is not that great to watch these days.

Melee is like watching 2 rivers of silk carry nuclear missiles into each other.....sometimes.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Street fighter is a good game.

Meaning, Street Fighter 2 and Alpha 3 , and SF3 :D

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Apex is not just a Smash tournament, which is a fact.

Yes, Smash is the most prominent game however because of the community backing behind the past Apexes.

On the second day (there was no fighters on day 1), there was 2 streams. One for Smash, one for FGC. On day 3, we had a single stream and were aiming for one tourney room. Cross pollination, get Smashers to watch fighters, get fighters to watch Smashers. It worked great. And if I'm not mistaken, 5 or 6 of the top 8 in UMvC3 all either play Smash, or have at one point and respect the game. That's impressive. Alukard (very well known Melee player) took 3rd place. The venue was insanely hyped with constant crowd cheering for him since it was a prominent Smasher at a "smash event" getting an amazing placement at a regular fighting game.

Number of entrants? Over 200 unique players for the fighters. That's insane. That alone shows that it isn't a Smash exclusive event. If we want to grow the community for all fighting games, we need to work together and then we can get even bigger with better tournaments, prizes, and experiences.

And come on, for the main "Smash" stream, there was maybe 3 hours of fighters total compared to the rest of the 3 full days for Smash.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
Tournament organizers prioritize the entertainment value for viewers, instead of the tournament quality of the participants. I think a live stream is good, but not when it sacrifices the quality of the tournament.

Having brawl/melee tournaments together WAS a good idea, but the logistics are simple, brawl matches take forever, there are always less Wiis, Wii's load longer... it's a pain and they should be left seperate, and including other fighters into the mix only uses more TVs.

Day 1 of Pound 4 was probably the best day of melee I've ever spent playing. 70+ setups all devoted to melee, and hundreds of players. Then the next day, all had to be split to accomodate brawl players. I'm not saying brawl is bad, but I'm sure Brawl would benefit from having all those setups to themselves as well, and not having them split. Any players of any game would probably prefer tons of TV's devoted to 1 game as opposed to a massive megatournament that is split in bunches of games. My point is that the more fighers, the less TV's for everyone to play on, and less quality for the tournament entrant.

I feel that tournament organizers now just want a number, a large number of livestream viewers, and that's all that matters. Appease sponsors, gain notoriety, and they think the game will grow.... but melee tournaments like MELEE-FC, Pound, RoM, Genesis, and various other old tourneys really made the game large, not sponsorships and livestreams. Time for people to wake up.

PS commentary is still not good, wheres MLG Wife?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
tbh stream viewers is one of the most important things by far

it's how sponsorship and advertising works in esports and tournaments these days. no one is going to spend money for a in person tournament alone where it reaches 400 players when they could instead get one with an amazing stream and hit 10000+ watchers.

then getting sponsorships means more funding for the event, which either equates to bigger prize pots for better competition, and/or better venue and staff for a better attendee experience.

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
i dunno about anyone else but i, as someone who pretty much plays only smash, am kinda interested in street fighter and mvc3 now after seeing it on the stream. i'm sure it goes both ways for peeps who were on the stream for "fighters".

also, the stream before mvc3 ended was around 8-8.5k i think (having broken 9k for a little while) and during melee it was above 6k pretty consistently.

iirc genesis 2 didn't have even close to that many peeps watching (i could be wrong though)

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I went to Apex from 5 pm to 9 pm on Friday. My reaction as a first-time tourney goer:

I walked in and I had no idea which set ups were being used for pools and which were used for friendlies. My suggestion is to have some TVs that are fixed for pools and the rest for friendlies, and clearly label them. When I found a TV to play on I realized that there were definitely not enough set ups. I ended up playing about 4 matches for the whole first two hours. That was because:

1. 4-5 people on each TV means about 1 match every 20 mins.
2. First-time so I never won and stayed on.
3. Lovage and Ice decided they wanted to play a 5-game MM on the TV I was waiting for. I was up next and they asked if I would let them play a 5-game MM, so I said yes. Then after they played the best of 5 set, they decided they wanted to play another, and a third 3-game set. It took them so long that they literally started the last set as Lovage and S2J were called up for doubles, so S2J had to claim that Lovage was taking a ****. I mean, it was cool to watch them play, but it took up about 30 mins and it would have been nice of them to ask me if they could play two more sets when they only told me they would be playing one.
4. A few times I was about to get a match and then a TO just walked up and took the TV for use in pools.

Overall it was pretty fun but it was definitely didn't feel organized to me and I would have preferred to start off with a smaller tourney. I did get to play a bunch of really good people without realizing who they were at first and was glad to be able to take a stock off where I could. So thanks to Hugs, Amsah, Ice, Tai, and Wes for be willing to play somebody new.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
Why are the hosts putting their time into making sure that the SF, UMvC, and MK tournaments are done and done right when the main reason why Apex exists isn't getting as much time and thought put into it as it should.
The answer to this big issue is: THE ONLY THING THAT THEY WATCHED WERE HIGH TIER / METAKNIGHTS.

IF APEX: BRAWL, HAD SOMETHING CALLED DIVERSITY OF CHARACTERS LIKE STREET FIGHTER, ULTIMATE MARVEL VS CAPCOM OR MORTAL KOMBAT HAD, THIS **** WASN'T ****ED UP THE WAY IT IS NOW

IT JUST SURPRISES ME THE FACT THAT YOU GUYS ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SUPPORT BUT STILL RUN GARBAGE-LIKE TOURNAMENTS

HOPEFULLY, AT APEX 2013 OR KTAR7, **** WILL GET RE-DONE.

I SUGGEST SEPARATED LOW/MID TIER TOURNAMENTS.

**** YOU SAKURAI FOR MAKING THIS GAME UNBALANCED.

--------

That was great, big relief.

I do understand it's not that simple though, i was just pointing one of the problems so you or we can find a solution soon

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
You misunderstand because there are things you don't know. My silver melee controller was stolen or taken by somebody on day 2 at Apex (silver controller with my name marked on it on either front or back), and I sucked as a result in melee (I am still very sad about this). After I lost to wobbles (very bad playing including a forward B off trying to laser) I did not want to play anymore because I was sucking too much, so I forfeitted and split with Hax because he wanted it more and could go further. It was very depressing to play with a huge handicap because people like to steal my things. I understand it is my fault for letting it get stolen, but it really really sucks to have to play with something you aren't confortable with.

Besides that, as far as being DQed or not, several times they called me for melee and brawl at the same time. Right when teams grand finals for melee started, they called my brawl matches, but then the grand finals ended up going to game 9, and that took a lot of time. That was the majority of the 45 minute situation that you were talking about. With the original schedule, of melee and brawl being done at separate times for day 3 as originally planned, it would be fine.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
So the secret to being godlike is just to write your name on your controller?

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
M2k you should really tie the controller chord around your arm or something so you stop losing controllers

Tink

Smash Hero
chibo said:
On the second day (there was no fighters on day 1), there was 2 streams. One for Smash, one for FGC. On day 3, we had a single stream and were aiming for one tourney room. Cross pollination, get Smashers to watch fighters, get fighters to watch Smashers. It worked great. And if I'm not mistaken, 5 or 6 of the top 8 in UMvC3 all either play Smash, or have at one point and respect the game. That's impressive. Alukard (very well known Melee player) took 3rd place. The venue was insanely hyped with constant crowd cheering for him since it was a prominent Smasher at a "smash event" getting an amazing placement at a regular fighting game.
yo, are u kidding me? im alll for alukard doing well, but he got there partly because someone Dq'd Marlin, a hugeee threat...its like someone Dqing m2k in brawl or melee. if alukard wasnt there, noone woudl have been hype to watch EC marvel matches that happen everyyyyy weekend with those sameeee players over and over. anyone that matches marvel will agree.

Number of entrants? Over 200 unique players for the fighters. That's insane. That alone shows that it isn't a Smash exclusive event. If we want to grow the community for all fighting games, we need to work together and then we can get even bigger with better tournaments, prizes, and experiences.
melee/brawl(the smash games) had what? 400 ppl....double the other...thats a significant increase from 200. and why grow a community that wont support us or even acknowledge us as a real game? what bigger/better stuff is out there, when were always gonna be the ide event stuck in the corner? ifff we can even be a side event 0_o.

this was suppose to be smash's biggest event ever, and was billed that way....how does that NOTT take huge precedence over any fighter game? every other game there shoudlve been a figment of the smash scene....but instead, ppl wanted it to be on equal terms for some reason. ridic

holyv

Smash Journeyman
Tink
v
v
v

The real thing is that MK, UMVC3 and SSF Are more fun to watch then brawl, That's why they get Evo to support them, because brawl is always the same thing, you know

Marth, GAW, Snake, Wario, DDD(Rarely), IC's, Metaknight >>>ARE ALWAYS THE ONES ON FINALS<<<

From 38 characters, approximately 7 of them are listed in finals match and results

Really, i never saw a tourney that an Ike main(example) won top 10

BRAWL WAS MADE FOR YOU TO PICK UP YOUR FAVOURITE CHARACTER AND HAVE FUN WITH IT, NOT A EASY WAY OF WINNING MONEY, EARNING MONEY IS NOT THE PURPOSE OF GAMING

''The prize is high? OH YEA I'M GONNA GET MARTH BECAUSE CHANCES OF WINNING ARE SO MUCH HIGHER THAN PICKING UP LINK, RIGHT?''

I know you can just tell me to quit because i appear to be flaming the game, but no, i really like brawl, it is my favourite game since 2008 and i still have hopes for us, Boards are dying and hopes are getting crushed because the backroom is filled up with a bunch of people that can't run decent tournaments like the UMVC or MK ones ;)

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
melee/brawl(the smash games) had what? 400 ppl....double the other...thats a significant increase from 200. and why grow a community that wont support us or even acknowledge us as a real game? what bigger/better stuff is out there, when were always gonna be the ide event stuck in the corner? ifff we can even be a side event 0_o.

this was suppose to be smash's biggest event ever, and was billed that way....how does that NOTT take huge precedence over any fighter game? every other game there shoudlve been a figment of the smash scene....but instead, ppl wanted it to be on equal terms for some reason. ridic
this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
It was hardly on equal terms. FGC had like 1/3 of a room when Smash tournament matches alone has an entire room, and that's not counting the friendly setups that were 1/4 the space in the other room.

The FGC took up the main stream for like 3 hours on the early afternoon hours. That's hardly anything at all. Before they started there was Smash, and after they ended there was Smash for like another 10 hours on just that one day alone.

--

No good controller or not, I find it hard to see any kind of serious competition when someone openly admits they split money and forfeit with someone because the two of them thought that the one would make it further. Awful, really upset I learned about that.

Jaxel

Behind the Curtain...
Premium
I dont get how people are saying FGC had priority on the stream, when that clearly isn't true...

I have 3 hours of recorded gameplay from FGC...
I have 26 hours of recorded gameplay from Smash...

STFU.

Top Bottom