• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 | CHECK OP FOR EVENT BRACKETS/POOLS | EVO 2012 QUALIFIER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
can't make a joke in here w/o diem callin me out on my skill man
man maybe i don't even want to go to this tourney anymore!!!

Roller

Smash Legend
It'd still be nice to get more "competitive" games in outside of friendlies where everyone johns all day, as well as make the pools less matchup dependent.

Two-Ell

Smash Master
Eh, I can understand Diem/Alex's point. If the friendly johns bother you there's always MM'ing if you want a 'serious' match. I know it's sad that it has to come to that in order to get a serious game from some, but it always does.

:rosalina:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
To explain again: This isn't a random local. This is COMPETITIVE. If you want to play with the big boys, I suggest you practice.
Why are you doing pools if they are set up like that? It logically makes no sense.

Pools are for seeding purposes, the more people that get out the more accurate your seeding will be. Having only two get out means seeding by pool results is essentially random, the minimum should be 4 getting out, the more the better though.

Now, I'm all for a smaller bracket, it would just be better to have less pools(with more TV's each) and have 4+ get out of all really stacked pools so the same amount of people end up in bracket. Because pools take much longer than a bracket if you do only top 2 get out you aren't saving any time and you aren't seeding anyone so I really just don't see the point.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I'm pretty sure we'd have more people in each pool with more people getting out if we could but its mainly done this way due to time constraints.

Pools of 4 people and 1 tv will go a lot faster than pools of 8 people and 2 tvs. Mathmatically it sounds like their equal in time but they are not.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So why not just run a bracket? It's almost twice as fast as doing pools and you can't seed with 2 people getting out, so you are just wasting a bunch of time doing pools that way. Having several TV's to one pools doesn't take that much longer, I don't just say that I'm also an experienced TO and have tried everything I'm mentioning. In my experience it's faster with two because people don't wonder off as much waiting to play on one TV rather than two.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
8 people pools : 28 sets/2tvs (14 sets/tv)
4 people pools : 6 sets/1tv (6 sets/tv)

PRETTY BIG DIFFERENCE GUYS

Heartstring

Smash Legend
8 people pools : 28 sets/2tvs (14 sets/tv)
4 people pools : 6 sets/1tv (6 sets/tv)

PRETTY BIG DIFFERENCE GUYS
true dat
on the other hand, having a pool THAT small means luck plays into it a lot, if i-for example-get a pool with a d3, an mk and a falco. im having a rough time of it (though, its my fault for picking bad characters to main, but its just a fast example)
perhaps something like 6 per pool with 3 going through? i dunno im clutching at straws a bit. but if you could have 2 tv's between a pool of 6 then it will go by a similar speed to 4 man pool with 1 tv (7.5 sets/tv) and people get to have a few more games that way, plus more even seeding

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i personally like the current pool setup of pools of 4 with top 2 get out

keep on keeping on, TOs

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That's nice that you like it, I just still don't understand the point. Logically either just going straight to bracket or having more get out into the same size bracket just makes a lot more sense.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i think the reasoning is this gets the most amount of pool play possible while still being in time constraints. Not sure though

either way, shorter pools means less time overall I have to completely focus in a straight period of time for pools, which I am all for. I can't tell you how bored i get waiting for 6 man pools to finish, even while im in them

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Why are you doing pools if they are set up like that? It logically makes no sense.

Pools are for seeding purposes, the more people that get out the more accurate your seeding will be. Having only two get out means seeding by pool results is essentially random, the minimum should be 4 getting out, the more the better though.

Now, I'm all for a smaller bracket, it would just be better to have less pools(with more TV's each) and have 4+ get out of all really stacked pools so the same amount of people end up in bracket. Because pools take much longer than a bracket if you do only top 2 get out you aren't saving any time and you aren't seeding anyone so I really just don't see the point.
I'm an advocate of all bracket. People on staff voted for pools because the Smash community expects them.

true dat
on the other hand, having a pool THAT small means luck plays into it a lot, if i-for example-get a pool with a d3, an mk and a falco. im having a rough time of it (though, its my fault for picking bad characters to main, but its just a fast example)
perhaps something like 6 per pool with 3 going through? i dunno im clutching at straws a bit. but if you could have 2 tv's between a pool of 6 then it will go by a similar speed to 4 man pool with 1 tv (7.5 sets/tv) and people get to have a few more games that way, plus more even seeding
At the end of the day, PP, Armada, Mango, etc don't have the same cripples on matchups, because as players, they're better. Luck has nothing to do with it. If you're going to lose in round one with 2 getting out, you'd probably have lost in round with 3 getting out.

We're setting up 20 friendly TVs for each smash game for the entire weekend, as welll. You'll get more than enough time to play.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Well we have to take schedule into consideration also. It's going to be the full doubles bracket, singles pools, and singles bracket until the top 8 players all on friday. The current set up should allow for that. Pools any larger might run it out.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
-sigh-

Alright I have been reading a lot of this and I will explain my reasoning this way. If it sounds weird/different then I am sorry.

This event is more work than any of us have really thought it would take. Honestly, for the first time since MLG, we are dealing with legit sponsors, a real professional stream broadcast, and merging our community with the FGC. I will be honest the only two people in this community that even have a conceptualized idea of what we are doing are JV and AZ. I want you all to put this in perspective.

Pools were done this way for two reasons. The first is time. The bottom line is that this will take a lot less time and with 300+ expected for each game it will be a VERY hard task to do most of this in one day. That leads me to my second point which is the broadcasting side. By putting Melee on Friday and Brawl on Sat, with Sunday being championships, we are creating content for the event in a way that has only been seen in MLGs. This is not something we are doing just cause we can but it is to set a precedent. If we are to become more than grassroots we have to start to be more professional. This means that at Apex we have to be a lot more organized they we ever have been. This is why DM is gathering staff for pools and we are working on our presentation.

I know many of you will want it to be 6-8 people per pool but we have already put aside TVs for the ENTIRE WEEKEND just for friendlies. We are giving the community a lot more than any other event has in its history. At MLG (AFIAK), they never did this, and, at other nationals people are pushed off setups just to do tournament matches. The overall experience is lessened by this. We are promising setups for people to do whatever they want with.

On a more personal note...

I am always upfront and honest with you guys. Even some staff said I should not speak my mind to you all I have because this is a community I love. I want to really tell you all I am under a HUGE amount of stress because of this event. I have to deal with people making up stories about my rep ( apparently according to someone I ran gears at gameunicon...how IDK ) , various complaints and demands from people in this community, and helping to make sure most, if not all players from outside the USA/Canada , have housing and such. With Nintendo I am working myself to death to make sure they know and come to this event. When all the people you know say give up on it I still work hard to make sure our future is secure with them.

What do I do this for beyond love of this community? TBH I am not making a single damn dime off this. The venue will be about $10k and expenses will be around $10k+. I will be personally lucky if I make $100. So really I am killing myself for you all. I am raising standards so to make this community prosper. What have I gotten by building all this ? Nothing from higher ups until I "proved myself" which meant I had to do TWO Apex events and I still am not getting the support from all the people in this community that I should. It is insane to think I try to help everyone but those who are in their cliques try to push people down.

I do not want you guys to not express your views. I want you to. It is your right. But I just ask to understand where I am coming from. I will get flack for saying what I did but I am just become tired myself of not letting my personal opinion out more. Please support and help this event. This is something for us to talk about for years to come.

Thanks for having a site like this to have my voice be heard.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
At the end of the day, PP, Armada, Mango, etc don't have the same cripples on matchups, because as players, they're better. Luck has nothing to do with it. If you're going to lose in round one with 2 getting out, you'd probably have lost in round with 3 getting out.

We're setting up 20 friendly TVs for each smash game for the entire weekend, as welll. You'll get more than enough time to play.
fair play
wait, is that only melee youre talking about? or is that for both games?
pfft dont even know why i said anything, im coming and supporting the **** out of this anyway!

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I wanted to add a few more things on my mind ( more along the personal notes )

I cannot say some of the things I want to on here or on any stream about some of the people in this community. What I will say is that those people who look down upon me due to my views/flaws [ medical related and such] need to realize one thing.

No one has made all of this work but me.

No one has made a grassroots circuit with Stipends for travel, points, and created an event so big overall. Before any of you say "Well this event is this or Alex is that" I want you all to sit there and read that bolded statement. I want you realize I put YEARS of time into these events. Now I know I rub people the wrong way cause I wear my heart on my sleeve. I know this and trust me even Crismas has gotten upset but look at how great this event can be. Everyone should be entering as much as they can. Beyond that we all should be helping each other. I bleed for this community and I go ABOVE and BEYOND for everyone here...not just top players...if a low level player needs help I help them as well. I do not play this elite BS I do not try to have a clique I sit there with everyone and help all of you. So if this game means anything to you then support the event and stop living in your own worlds.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
dont let it get to you alex. You've had some pretty good events

something ridiculous has happened at every apex. I still remember seeing it live when ally first beat m2k from that crazy smashville where he wouldnt die to the defino spikes. ah, memories...so happy i went to that tourney :laugh:

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
So people shouldn't complain about anything ever?

Dumb post.
i mean the point of a complaint is to get something changed so you stop complaining

once it is verified that the complaining wont do anything, then you must follow MVD's advice

its not a dumb post at all bro :laugh:

Strife

Banned via Warnings
i mean the point of a complaint is to get something changed so you stop complaining

once it is verified that the complaining wont do anything, then you must follow MVD's advice

its not a dumb post at all bro :laugh:
So you're suggestion is that when something seems difficult you should give up instead of keep trying. Geez, what's the matter with you people?

Can you imagine if Rosa Parks had an attitude like yours? I really don't care too much about the pools or wobbling but I'm just pointing out that your kind of thinking is dumb.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
So you're suggestion is that when something seems difficult you should give up instead of keep trying. Geez, what's the matter with you people?

Can you imagine if Rosa Parks had an attitude like yours? I really don't care too much about the pools or wobbling but I'm just pointing out that your kind of thinking is dumb.
lol did you just really compare the civil rights act of the 60s, that moved millions of not only african americans, but other nationalities such as latinos, indians, and women, to all move for equal rights in the united states and to stop discriminaton

...to a black person (me)

...and compare it to a videogame tournament? lol is this real life?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Strife as a minority myself, and a person big on history, I cannot but find that comment offense.

I said people have a right to voice opinions but at the same time there is nothing you or anyone else will do to change it.

Please stop posting nonsense and change your name. I do not like being PMed and IMed with people thinking I am you asking why I said things that are nonsensical

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Racist Strife is gonna go to prison

and he's gonna drop the soap

(Some mod should ban the guy or do somethin about him)

Strife

Banned via Warnings
lol did you just really compare the civil rights act of the 60s, that moved millions of not only african americans, but other nationalities such as latinos, indians, and women, to all move for equal rights in the united states and to stop discriminaton

...to a black person (me)

...and compare it to a videogame tournament? lol is this real life?
Lol....dumb.

You've missed the point. You're telling people to give up because people are telling them no. If Rosa parks were to do that a lot of us in the community wouldn't be able to ride on the front of a bus.

In simpler terms it's ******** to give up just because you face opposition. It's really not a difficult concept to follow.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Ok this is the last time

stop posting crap like that in this thread.

What Rosa Parks did was something that was way different from this

THIS IS AN EVENT AND IT WONT BE CHANGED...the rule is not something as significant as the whole " blacks need to make room for whiteS" where that was morally wrong.

I swear post one more time and I will have you banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom