• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 | CHECK OP FOR EVENT BRACKETS/POOLS | EVO 2012 QUALIFIER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mprime

Smash Ace
For people arriving by Megabus to NYC:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101126211553AAyTzLa

^that will help you get to Penn Station from the Megabus stop. You then will have to take the train called "North East Corridor". You should see a list of stops at the gate and one of them should say New Brunswick which you'll need to get off at.

Usual prices:
Subway: $2.00
Train: $14.00
Total: $16.00

But don't be shocked if it's a dollar or two more.
Good sir you won a free beer, thankyou!

:phone:

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah, mines the black one. don't worry about sending it; i'll just continue to use an old one until apex. If you can bring it there though, i'd be very appreciative.

PB&J

Smash Hero
So,really been thinking about this alot. Imo i think the tourny shoudnt be just one day since you have the venue for 3 days.Melee im talking about of course. I think when you try to run a big melee tourny all in one day alot of players when its super late will be really tired and fatigued. If You stretch the tourny to 2 days or 3 it makes it easier on players to rest and play at there A game. Especially the players coming from other countries. Alot of these players never been here. They would have to deal with Jet lag and I think it would be fair. I know you have plenty of tournies to run @ this big even but im sure if people bring alot of melee setups this would be good.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
they get an entire day off after day 1. Learn to deal imo.

If people do not show up on time we will DQ.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
No worries. keep up the good work, and we'll meet hopefully thursday, if not friday.

2 or even 3 rounds of pools shouldn't be too hard to run even with a food break...maybe we could do some bracket on saturday though...

edit: yeah alex is pretty much right. oh...guess i should take this history exam...

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
we are not doing that.

we are doing up until top 8 on friday for singles and up until top 4 doubles on friday also.

Pools are going to be 4-5 people each with top 2 making it out. That will go insanely fast.
/we are doing 2 rounds of pools 3 is overkill

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Registered.

Also I think I should get some good Melee matches recorded since my quality and upload speed is boss

LLDL

Smash Hero
DoH have you ever had liked dropped frames / no sound / corrupt? Me and Juggleguy are just trying to be very selective of who records bracket matches. If you have a clean record, I love your quality and upload speed.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Pools are going to be 4-5 people each with top 2 making it out. That will go insanely fast.
/we are doing 2 rounds of pools 3 is overkill
this is so harsh, what if the pool happens to have 2 amazing players? even the decent players that could make it to r2 are just screwed lol.

i could understand this for 2nd round but hot damn.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
that is why we had seeding points and we are doing the first round pools ahead of time ( pre-reg ). There is no way to have 64 pools with 2 great players.

Funny I told everyone about this a while ago.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
There will be so much style you'll think fashion week came early

I thought this was incredibly clever.
this is so harsh, what if the pool happens to have 2 amazing players? even the decent players that could make it to r2 are just screwed lol.

i could understand this for 2nd round but hot damn.
this isnt just a melee tournament. This is a fighting game event. Alex is being INCREDIBLY ambitious with what hes putting on his plate right now. Let the man work and do his thing.

If you really want to help the melee tournament run as well as it can, show up to your matches on time (early might even be preferable) play them in an orderly fashion and take some steps to make sure you and nobody else dawdles in their games so that everything can get completed in the alloted time.

M@v

Subarashii!
Well considering i went 4-2 in my last apex pool and got 4th seed, this game needs to be stepped up. big time. To the hyperbolic time chamber!

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Alex i'm sure you did, but i don't browse here daily so im sure i missed it.

how do seeding points matter if those people are already expected out anyways?

i get the pre-reg, but im very sure there are tons of players whom you aren't aware of their skill, that may get tossed in a pool that they shouldnt be in

im not trying to pull anything sympathy wise here, but i feel this definitely helps dictate on me going or not, simply because losing to like, 2 top players in a 1st round pool which can easily happen by luck, would be incredibly disapointing for an across the nation type event.

maybe i just need to understand how this is balanced, better

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
seedin points divide up the players based on skill then we do region and so on and so forth

I am sorry but I do not see how the first round will be bad when we are giving free play setups and everything. Tournaments are not just events where everyone can feel good about themselves its about seeing who the best is. I mean we are doing 4-5 ppl per pool first round in order to provide a lot of content. I do not expect you to understand only cause you are not in my head figuring out every little detail.

I will just say we know what we are doing . It wont be 2 top players in each pool more like 1

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I've never had corrupted vids or no sound - knock on wood - and I haven't had any dropped frames since I rebooted my computer. I think why it happened before is that someone sat my laptop at an angle where it restricted the air flow so it didn't cool off properly

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol this is ****ing apex, why are you complaining about stacked pools, what do you expect? just get good, dont ***** about it...

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
The real question is how many people will the bracket have? 32 or 64? Cause if it's 64 then top 2 won't be that hard since there will be many pools.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
it will be a 64 man bracket. I set it up so that ALOT of ppl make it out first round but we made the pools small to make it go faster

so its the same as it was before just better for speed

so we have 300+ it will be 4 man pools we will have about...idk 64 freaking pools of 4-5 people...that is a lot of pools..most tournaments do 20-30 pools of 6-7...this will run a lot faster and get the same amount of matches.

Ultimately it is your choice to come or not. I do not agree with it if you do not come cause ...after explaining it...you get a lot more at this tournament than any other...free play/giveaways/everything....if you are worried so much about losing than idk what to say.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
well no it doesn't really get the same amount of matches, unless i'm reading wrong.

all the people in pools of 6-7 get to play eachother , then like 3-4 make it out, then you get to play all round 2 and top2 make it out or whatever. that's alot more than playing 3-4 people in my pool which could possibly be only once.

if these were normal pools i wouldn't be so hesitant, i consider myself pretty decent as a player but would be crushed if i got a death pool round 1.

i mean genesis had 3 rounds of pools, and even first round was top 4..they seemed to run it pretty smooth

i guess this is pointless to discuss, as nothing is changing, correct? :DD

M@v

Subarashii!
If its only 4 people per pool, top 2 isnt bad tbh. That's 50% of the pool making it out r1. Compare that to last apex, where the average pool size was 7, and only 3 made it out. That's only 42% making it out r1.

p.s. 2/5 is 40%

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
we are running a stream production and we cannot do it the way smash has done it for years...plus u get an entire day of freeplay...i mean...what else do u want...

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i get it, i just wanted to understand things a bit more. thanks for responding so fast though.

and the free play thing really isn't a concern for me, tournament play >>> friendlies though they are definitely nice.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
depending on both pool sizes, you get 3-8 guaranteed sets (if both sets are 5 people). most likely it would be 6 guaranteed sets (for two pools of 4), if you make it to second round. With half of the pool getting out and it going by faster, I see nothing wrong with this

Just be lucky we are doing round robin pools at all. Every other fighting game does a double elim bracket for their pools and takes out the top 4-8 or so. Doing it round robin severly hinders the ability to host a large event in such a short amount of time

Don't worry about it alex. You're doing great. People will always find one aspect to disapprove of while approving the entire event

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
its not trah im mad at...its the mindset ... i am just dealing with a lot and hearing this and that is annoying...soryr trah i know u are out to look out for urself i just...sigh...its w/e

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Basically this will be most of your pools.

1. Amsah/M2K-brawlormelee or Westballz/Inui-brawl lvl
2. Sneak/Speed or Inui-Melee/Riot
3. Average player
4. Ok player
5. Bad player

And if you're decent you should be at least take the place of one of the top 2 seeded players so you'd really only have to worry about one person.

M@v

Subarashii!
Basically this will be most of your pools.

1. Amsah/M2K-brawlormelee or Westballz/Inui-brawl lvl
2. Sneak/Speed or Inui-Melee/Riot
3. Average player
4. Ok player
5. Bad player

And if you're decent you should be at least take the place of one of the top 2 seeded players so you'd really only have to worry about one person.
Or you get death pools like me where 4 of 7 people go at least 4-2 or better :awesome:

That pool was something like:
1.Good player
2.Good player
3.Good player
4.Good player
5.Bad player
6.Bad player
7.Bad player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom