• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else + Ultimate's DLC = underwhelming?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Other than Banjo, I find the Fighter pass currently unbearably tiring. And even still, I was never actually hyped for Banjo, but at least I know the character and has for a long time. Smash 4's DLC was done by far better. Ultimate's DLC, the characters for most are too recent and some feel like shill picks. There's no real magic.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Joker = Eugh. His hideous neon-coloured stage is the worst in the game on virtue of being the only one that actively causes eye pain.
Hero = absolutely deserves the spot, but not my thing. Good stage.
Banjo = second best reveal IMO, maybe didn't "deserve" the spot but a super fun character either way
Terry = best DLC stage, cool addition overall but yet again, not my thing.
Byleth = Byleth
Min Min = Shill pick incarnate, and a character who could've never worked in Smash without stripping her of most of her game's unique qualities.
Steve = Best DLC undoubtedly, great character with a great stage.
Sephiroth = wasn't excited at first beyond "haha no geno", but god Sephiroth is a joy to play as and I'm glad I brought him.
Pythra = terrible reveal, terrible terrible, everything Dunkey said I'd echo - however, I am somewhat glad they got in because they taught me a valuable lession: don't get overexcited about glorified ad reels. A lession I should've learned back when Bayonetta was confirmed for 3DS/Wii U.

Shroob

Sup?
On the flipside, I feel like Smash 4's DLC was horribly underwhelming.

3 characters from prior games
Cloud and Ryu as big heavy-hitters
Corrin, a character from the most recent Fire Emblem game
And Bayonetta is a divisive character

Ult's has been a lot more fun to me simply because it's full of variety.

Like, the 3rd party choices are all soo varied and unique, and as for the Nintendo choices, I mean, we only got 1 "New" Nintendo character in 4's DLC, and it was used to promote a new game. Nintendo uses Smash to promote their newest games, not anything we didn't know. Like, people may complain that the 1st party characters are "Shill" picks, but it's kinda ****ed up that Ultimate, a Switch game, really only had 2 stages to represent Switch games, being New Donk City and the Great Plateau, and even less in the characters, being relegated to Link's redesign and Mario's alts. At least with Byleth, Min Min and Pythra, Ultimate doesn't feel as 'dated'. It always felt weird that a game from 2018 which is supposed to celebrate gaming, and mainly focus on Nintendo, was extremely anemic on content from Switch titles aside from some .PNGs.

What matters to me most is how fun they are to play, and gameplay-wise? Yeah, they're all pretty fun. Hell, Pythra is insanely fun to play IMO.

Am I popping off like crazy at every reveal? Nah, but I enjoy the variety in the stuff we're getting. I never would have thought that Terry Bogard would be one of my favorite characters to play as, but now he's one of my most played. Same with Pythra and Sephiroth.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Other than Banjo, I find the Fighter pass currently unbearably tiring. And even still, I was never actually hyped for Banjo, but at least I know the character and has for a long time. Smash 4's DLC was done by far better. Ultimate's DLC, the characters for most are too recent and some feel like shill picks. There's no real magic.
I'm gonna compare 'cause why not? I feel like rambling today :3

Smash 4 DLC
Bunch of returning characters. Very nice, but they should be in base game. Ultimate didn't have to worry about this problem.
Corrin - Pleasing Fire Emblem fans and making smash fans mad before Byleth decided to.... Byleth should have seen it coming.
Cloud - While it is paying respect to the old FF7, it also feels like a shill pick at the same time because they are still using Cloud in a lot of stuff in many crossover games nowadays.... This also applies to Sephiroth.

So that just leaves 2 charactesr in Smash 4 DLC that is unique to Smash 4 without an Ultimate counterpart
Ryu - Ryu from the streets has come by to accept Smash as a proper fighting game. I think this is actually a huge deal. Even if he doesn't get played as much as a lot of characters.
Bayonetta - Ballot winner? hmmmm If you say so, smells like a shill but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Cool character in concept, unfortunately the execution of Bayonetta's gameplay executed Smash 4's competitive scene. If only they play tested her just a liiiittle more. Not going to take that as a point away from her though.

These 2 characters are solid and what a DLC should do.

Now let's compare that with Ultimate's DLC
Byleth - Same thing as Corrin in terms of circumstances.
Sephiroth - Same thing as Cloud.... Dat announcement though.
Min Min - Why the heck wasn't an ARMS rep in the base game?

Joker - Who? Persona is one of those game series that if you play it, you'll become a massive fan that will claim it's the best game to ever exist. However since I haven't played the game and barely heard about it being talked, it can feel like a shill pick, especially with how recent 5 is. Friggin cool character though.
Pyra/Mythra - Similar to a Joker situation. People who play Xenoblade say it's the best series in the world. Makes me wonder if it's because it eats all your time to play these two series. Solid pick though because it's one of Nintendo's larger series now. Kinda feels like a shill pick because it's just so recent.

Piranha Plant - Out of no-where pick that doesn't promote anything and no one asked for. I like it..... Don't do it again lol
Hero - Dragon Quest is a friggin huge series that has stood the test of time. So I think it's worthy, especially if it being popular in Japan is true. However for me, this was a "who?" moment...
Banjo - This character is THE character you put in a game to please N64 fans. N64 fans can be pretty diehard with their nostalgia for n64 games. Also Banjo fits in with the roster well. Solid pick, even if the series has no future.
Terry - Another old school fighter. I sorta feel like this is a character that Sakurai himself wanted in smash. I don't think King of Fighters is super crazy popular nowadays so it's not really shilling (unless it's to make the company that owns it really happy with Nintendo).
Steve - I know a lot of people are going to hate Steve and think he's for squares. However, there's going to be a lot more people that love Minecraft. For being bigger than Mario for a while, I think he deserves a spot amongst Mario and Sonic as a gaming icon.

As for what characters I like from most to least currently:
1. Sephiroth - He's my main right now. 2nd character I wanted all the way back in Melee. Meta Knight was my first. I found more reasons to love him after Melee. So yeah, I'm going to be happy for his inclusion for sure. My Melee self would've never believed that Sephiroth would get into Smash, there was no Cloud even any 3rd parties at the time.
2. Joker - He maybe a shill, but dangit, he hits all the boxes for what I like in a character.... Though he loses some points for being an anime teenager, that's like the only thing I don't like about him. (I do like anime though, put the pitch forks away!) However I don't have the emotional attachment to him like I do with Sephiroth.... I just realized Sephiroth is the only DLC character I have any sort of attachment to when it comes to Smash DLC (unless you count Mewtwo). So of course I'm going to be biased towards Sephiroth.
3. Bayonetta - Kinda similar to Joker in why I like her now that I think about it. Gameplay however I don't know. I don't play or even see her enough to decide. She seems cheesy.
4. Corrin - Fire Emblem shill.... but I love swords, and I love dragons. So I love Corrin (even if he looks more like an alien horse than a dragon). Have you see higher leveled Corrins? He's friggin' crazy. Too bad that it doesn't seem like that's the way he's supposed to be played.
5. Byleth - Another shill, but in my time playing three houses, it made me like Byleth a lot more. Also gameplay is solid. Was a strong choice for a main before Sephiroth came around.
6. Hero - He makes me want to play smash more when smash is making me depressed. He kinda reminds me that it's a game..... He maybe everything the competitive community hates, but gosh darn sometimes I need something to make me not take things so seriously so I can focus properly. So you bet I love him.
7. Terry - To me, it feels kinda like playing Ryu/Ken with the hype of Captain Falcon. I love playing him so much.
8. Ryu - Speaking of which, I may not play the character, but I love watching Ryu even if he does have some BS stuff and it's disheartening when they get gimped sometimes. Overall though, unique moveset that is interesting.
9. Cloud - I originally wanted to main them in Smash 4 because fast swordy with projectile that looks cool. However dropped them because they felt so basic and looked at other characters and just never went back to him. Now that his limit fades away after a while, and Sephiroth is here, I have no reason to play him.
10. Pyra/Mythra - I mained Marth back in Melee. Their moveset feels very familiar and easy to pick up! Also I love being Slow + hard hitting but also fast and overwhelming. So they are amazing. If I didn't love swordies so much, they'd probably be much lower on my list. Sometimes I feel like I should because so much of their moveset is based off of Marth, which kinda defeats the purpose of DLC a bit imo.
11. Banjo & Kazooie - A character I haven't spent time to learn but they seem like they would be a really fun character. I'm sure my tune will change when I run into the more campy Banjos though. I was tempted to try picking them up though. Grenade play like Snake/Inkling. Kazooie having swordlike disjointed, but Banjo having Ganondorf like strong hitboxes, while also being a quite fast character. So on paper they sound like a fun character, even if I only know them through watching game grumps play the game.... That was a while ago.
12. Steve (or in my case, Enderman) - Crazy combos and block placements. I may not care about the character, I may have gotten tired of restarting Minecraft everytime I'm about to go to the nether everytime I play Minecraft, but I cannot deny how interesting the gameplay of Steve is in Smash. He'd be higher if people were more creative with him to show off all that crazy stuff. This maybe where I place them in how much I like them, but I think they are the most important character that is Smash DLC currently and I don't think that could be topped by anyone.
13. Piranha Plant - There is a part of me that wants to join the plant gang. He has some goofy stuff, and there are a few big brain things you can do with him. However sometimes he feels like a one trick pony.
14. Min Min - ARMS is a fun game that I wish I had the time to put into to really enjoy it since it has so much personality in the characters, but it does crossover with too many things I like about Smash so I'll never get around to it. Min Min and Twintelle are the two that get brought up for ARMS rep, and I think Min Min is overall the better choice for everyone involved. For people that like to fight bots and don't want to think, Min Min is so amazing. However I feel like for any other type of player, she dulls down the game for competitive players, and can be frustrating for casual players trying to fight her. So I actually think she is the worst DLC character because of this. Character choice was good, but execution of gameplay was horrible.
Overall I think Ultimate's DLC is fine. It feels like it's targeting certain groups of people. Ryu is the only super impactful DLC in Smash 4 for to me because Smash being treated as a fighting game is important. Steve would be the one in Ultimate imo because who the heck hasn't heard of Minecraft? Basically every kid has that game nowadays, it's like the Mario of today (or at least it was, it's not as popular as it once was)

Smash 4 was better about base game though in terms of newcomers (but it didn't have everyone). 13-15 newcomers compared to Ultimate's 6.
Personally I'll be biased towards Ultimate because my reaction to Ridley was so strong because I waited for years for him ever since Melee and he's still a character I play often. Inkling just feels so right, and Belmonts are surprisingly fun + aggressive now I'm playing them properly. Other 3 are just really fun casually
However Shulk, Robin, Little Mac, Mega Man, Miis, Greninja are fun to play, and the rest are just so unique to play as so not going to diss on Smash 4's newcomers.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The ergo decedo argument doesn't really hold up given Nintendo are using a predatory seasons' pass system.
I mean, Sakurai literally said "Only buy the pass unless you're SUPER confident."

Also, it's not like you're unable to buy the characters separately if you don't buy the pass. If there's characters you don't like, don't buy them. If you bought the pass even after being told "Don't do it unless you're cool with this", you only have yourself to blame.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I mean, Sakurai literally said "Only buy the pass unless you're SUPER confident."

Also, it's not like you're unable to buy the characters separately if you don't buy the pass. If there's characters you don't like, don't buy them. If you bought the pass even after being told "Don't do it unless you're cool with this", you only have yourself to blame.
Sakurai's comments about the fighters passes were in passing and only in that one direct - the warning was likely given less screen time than even Wii Fit's eyes and would be easy to forget or get drowned out by hype for a sugar-rushed Nintendo fan who just saw "5 newcomers!". If Nintendo (not Sakurai, Nintendo) didn't intend the fighters' passes as a way of pushing new IPs and tricking people into buying more than they want, the warning would've been much more major in the marketing. FP2's eShop description does not have a disclaimer for example.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Sakurai's comments about the fighters passes were in passing and only in that one direct - the warning was likely given less screen time than even Wii Fit's eyes and would be easy to forget or overhear for a sugar-rushed Nintendo fan who just saw "5 newcomers!". If Nintendo (not Sakurai, Nintendo) didn't intend the fighters' passes as a way of pushing new IPs and tricking people into buying more than they want, the warning would've been much more major in the marketing. FP2's eShop description does not have a disclaimer for example.
I'm not saying you have no right to dislike the characters, because by all means, you do you, everyone's open to their own opinion.

But if you went out and impulse bought a season pass day 1 without knowing what would be in it, yeah, I'm not gonna have a lot of sympathy for ya. You can either wait and know what you'll be investing in, or take the mystery box, hint, never take the box.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Not only referring to third party tho. In my opinion, Crash or Sora would absolutely redeem Ultimate's Fighter pass, no debate. I'd be excited for Waluigi depending on the moveset. Rayman especially and Dragonborn feel absent, now that Steve is in.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The ergo decedo argument doesn't really hold up given Nintendo are using a predatory seasons' pass system.
Considering I just happen to like Smash and don't really care what new characters end up in the game as long as they are fun (and yes, I think every dlc fighter thus far is fun) it doesn't seem that bad to me. Also, are we forgetting that Sakurai explicitly stated "don't buy the whole pass unless you're sure you're going to like everyone?"

You don't get to have moral high ground when talking about capitalism if you're giving into it anyway. You made the choice to buy the fighters pass, and now you're complaining because it doesn't cater to your very specific tastes.

As someone who's played every game repped in both fighters passes except Xenoblade 2, and loved almost all of them, I'm satisfied. There's an extremely high amount of diversity both in character playstyle and what they represent as characters themselves. It doesn't just go down to "shill picks" and "undeserving ****" - you're sounding like those idiots who hurl "JRPG McSwordguy" and "Scrimblo Bimblo" as insults to people who don't support their favorite picks.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Min Min and Banjo - A+

I’m cool with Byleth and Pyra/Mythra

I had never heard of Joker or Terry to be honest. And after looking up their series, it didn’t help.

Sephiroth is cool but I’m very meh on FF as a whole

Hero is cool but see above - meh on DQ

Steve is Steve. I enjoy Minecraft but I can’t say I was thrilled about the inclusion.

who am I forgetting?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Considering I just happen to like Smash and don't really care what new characters end up in the game as long as they are fun (and yes, I think every dlc fighter thus far is fun) it doesn't seem that bad to me. Also, are we forgetting that Sakurai explicitly stated "don't buy the whole pass unless you're sure you're going to like everyone?"

You don't get to have moral high ground when talking about capitalism if you're giving into it anyway. You made the choice to buy the fighters pass, and now you're complaining because it doesn't cater to your very specific tastes.

As someone who's played every game repped in both fighters passes except Xenoblade 2, and loved almost all of them, I'm satisfied. There's an extremely high amount of diversity both in character playstyle and what they represent as characters themselves. It doesn't just go down to "shill picks" and "undeserving ****" - you're sounding like those idiots who hurl "JRPG McSwordguy" and "Scrimblo Bimblo" as insults to people who don't support their favorite picks.
I never even implied I actually brought the passes, though I did do so, so your argument is valid in this case - however, I was 16 when the first fighters' pass rolled out, I've matured since then. This was pre-3D All-Stars and pre-Doug Bowser so Nintendo were way better at hiding their capitalistic evil and were much more trusted. Also, as I said, Sakurai said his comments about trusting that you'll like everyone in passing. There was 16 seconds of screentime given to the warning, immediately after the reveal of 5 new fighters (you know, something that will result in Smash fans or the streamers they watch screaming in banshees) and the wording has very vague - "Only those who are confident in its value" could mean anything - price, quality, so on.

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Overall I think all of the choices were warranted to some degree-even the ones I loathe. Min Min comes from a new fighting game first party IP, Byleth from the most successful game in the FE series, and Pythra giving a second (and third) rep to a series that deserves it. Thing is that each of these reveals were ruined for me and many others, for one reason or another. (Min Min because it was already spoiled like months in advance by Nintendo not to mention she's the most hated character in the game due to her playstyle, Byleth because of the sheer amount of FE reps including ones that really aren't so necessary, and Pythra for the terrible reveal trailer). The other characters were all great inclusions though.

Shroob

Sup?
I never even implied I actually brought the passes, though I did do so, so your argument is valid in this case - however, I was 16 when the first fighters' pass rolled out, I've matured since then. This was pre-3D All-Stars and pre-Doug Bowser so Nintendo were way better at hiding their capitalistic evil and were much more trusted. Also, as I said, Sakurai said his comments about trusting that you'll like everyone in passing. There was 16 seconds of screentime given to the warning, immediately after the reveal of 5 new fighters (you know, something that will result in Smash fans or the streamers they watch screaming in banshees) and the wording has very vague - "Only those who are confident in its value" could mean anything - price, quality, so on.
But again, you bought the pass.

Let this be a good life lesson to you then to not jump headfirst into things that you don't know the outcome of. You were never guaranteed to get characters that you wanted, just 5 DLC characters, and for all intents, you got exactly that, 5 DLC characters.

This entire debate is subjective in the end regardless. Just because you don't like the characters doesn't mean others don't, and vice versa, just because you like a character doesn't mean others will. Hell, for as much as you loathe Pythra, a Xenoblade 2 rep was one of, if not the most, wanted characters in Japan. Like, I saw you mention Dunkey before irt them. You mean the same VideoGameDunkey that got banned from League of Legends for constantly throwing out death threats and being toxic as hell at people in game, and then threw a hissy fit on YouTube when Riot wouldn't unban him, because he was a content creator who thought he was above the rules? That Dunkey? That's who you wanna agree with?

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I guess the ones I haven't bought count as underwhelming. They're not bad, just not purchase-worthy for me. The only 2 qualities I'm looking for are: "Someone I REALLY like" or "A moveset as NEW as new can get." Otherwise, I feel there's enough characters on the base roster I already don't play often that I'd be better suited to try out if I wanted to get a similar effect to the DLC character.
:ultjoker::ulthero::ultpyra: are good in concept, but they leave a bit to be desired, just enough that, for me, I'm content playing Cloud and spending nothing.
:ult_terry: introduced a perfect comeback mechanic, but everything else feels like overkill, and if I'm not willing to use the tech he was designed around, then I probably shouldn't bother getting him and should stick to learning how to use Ryu and Ken in the first place.
:ultbyleth: is just not a character for me. If I ever want to play a FE character, I can try one that's already in. I'm sure there's more than enough for me to choose from.
Personally, it's about 50/50 for who has been worth purchasing, :ultpiranha::ultminmin because they feel like genuinely un-explored territory for a Smash fighter, and :ultbanjokazooie: because I love his games. I would buy :ultsteve::ultsephiroth: too, but I'll wait until the Pass ends and maybe it'll be worth the deal.

For me, a bigger problem is that Ultimate itself is barebones and has some weird design choices with the modes it does have. Maybe if it had some new modes, more new stages, or Squad Strike was playable online, I'd be a lot more eager to expand my horizons with these DLC characters.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’ve been delighted by the Ultimate DLC. They weren’t characters we needed but they were interesting and colorful additions nonetheless that further the formula Smash laid down beforehand.

Joker was an out of left field addition that incorporated an interesting automatic install ability that brought in tons of content that only Smash could bring into a crossover. Not to mention we got to know quite an amazing soundtrack that your typical every day Smash wouldn’t know of.

Hero brought a franchise that is a cultural institution in Japan which can’t be overlooked by Western fans who cry out about “only in Japan”. Dragon Quest is one of the most influential RPGs in gaming history and we can owe much to modern RPG to it. Plus, we got a gorgeous stage to boot. I think it’s also extremely revealing just how powerful Smash is that SE allowed all four Heroes to be playable, which was a first apparently, just for Smash. It also brought a character who managed to incorporate dozens of specials without resorting to Custom Moves.

Banjo & Kazooie was a personal dream of mine and they executed the character flawlessly. They could have easily went with a more popular western character like Doomslayer, Crash, or Spyro but went with one who was super influential to the 64 era. Again, we got an amazing stage that blended Ultimate graphics and standards with that of the 64 models.

I grew up playing Fatal Fury and King of Fighters but fell out of it up until the early 2010’s. Having Terry felt like my childhood coming full loop. Saying Terry was underwhelming is a huge disservice to the character and franchise and the legacy they brought. FF/KoF, like DQ, was extremely influential to modern day fighting games with a lot of the core mechanics. Terry also set the precedent that a back special is possible and managed to enhance the command input features that Ryu and Ken laid out. Again, we also got 50 songs from the package and an amazing stage that is easily my most favorite in Smash.

Byleth, Pyra/Mythra, and Min-Min are black sheep for being first party characters but they have their merits. It goes without saying that a Arms/XBC2 rep would have happened had development started later. Thus, they were added as they were planned but couldn’t be included due to the time frame. They may be shill picks but they all come from (moderately) successful games that has a place in the Switch era. Byleth also looked at the FE character format and revolutionized it while making them quite fun to play. They did what Corrin couldn’t do while also bringing two songs that weren’t available before. Min-Min threw exactly what we knew what a Smash character is capable of and really dug into the source material; material that some said was lackluster and shallow. Finally, Pyra and Mythra brought back the switching mechanic that Zelda/Sheik had but did it justice. Again, Smash building up on the formula it laid out before while making it feel fresh and exciting. Finally, adding these three characters gave hope to those who thought Spirits deconfirmed fighters. That’s always a plus in my book:

Steve was a huge surprise and it managed to hit all the right notes. It took what a Smash character is capable of and pushed the boundaries of what a character is capable; all the while doing it while remote working during an epidemic. I had a working idea of what Steve would play like before hand but they blew my concept out of the water. And, like so many before, we got a stage that could be shaped by the player with several biomes. Steve and his inclusion showed us what Sakurai’s team could do with such a series and what the future of Smash could look like if they continue in that direction.

Finally, Sephiroth. Sephiroth not only showed us that a DLC franchise could get a second fighter but that a DLC villain was also on the table. He did wonders for speculation and opened so many doors just like Cloud did. I can’t fathom how people don’t look at Sephiroth and just amaze what his inclusion meant. One of the most iconic villains from gaming history and his inclusion and playstyle exudes that sense. Fighting as him is a rush and fighting against a good Sephy is a challenge. We also got deserved dues for FF which got snubbed in Ultimate’s launch.

So, no, this dlc was not underwhelming. It’s been an amazing roller coaster of amazing, interesting, or deserving additions that brings a wealth of content that shows the team cares about representing it well. It has evolved the speculation community in ways that Melee and Brawl couldn’t hope to ever achieve. i don’t think getting Crash or other “speculation favorite” characters will make or break the dlc. It’s already won tenfold. It can only make it better.

People can dislike the content as much as they want but failing to understand the importance that was the DLC and how it changed Smash is saddening unfortunately. And of course, there are contrarians who dislike the content just because their favorite isn’t in it.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
you literally could just have.... waited until they revealed all the characters? Don’t buy something, and then ask questions later.
This is the exact thing I'm trying to preach. I was an idiot 16 year old at the time and got scammed into a bad deal - publishers are taking advantage of said pubsecent idiocy to get people to buy content they don't want. You can't write off criticisms of corporations with "just use common sense", because a lot of people don't have common sense, especially in the audience for a megapopular, flashy and action-heavy E10+ rated video game that uses hype as a marketing tactic.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
This is the exact thing I'm trying to preach. I was an idiot 16 year old at the time and got scammed into a bad deal - publishers are taking advantage of said pubsecent idiocy to get people to buy content they don't want. You can't write off criticisms of corporations with "just use common sense", because a lot of people don't have common sense, especially in the audience for a megapopular, flashy and action-heavy E10+ rated video game that uses hype as a marketing tactic.
Yes, we get it, Capitalism bad, tell us something we don't know already.

Like, lowkey, we all know this, but complaining on it to a forum of like 50~people who all know this already isn't going to change anything, especially when said forum is more or less dedicated to the topic being discussed and has an obsession over it.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
ngl I also don't care for most of the dlc characters themselves, but the unique playstyles they all brought was pretty refreshing imo

even Byleth; who doesn't really have a dlc gimmick, is fun to play as because of how much shield damage she does

op I genuinely hope you find something to enjoy in the next 2 characters

Last edited:

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
None of the DLC characters did anything for me.

Knuckles has been #1 on my wish list since Brawl! 😭

Other characters I would be happy with:

1. A Digimon Rep
2. Meowth
3. Crash
4. Spyro
5. Lara Croft
6. Rayman
7. Gex
8. Chargin Chuck
9. General Scales
10. Andy (Heart of Darkness)
11. Akuji the Heartless
12. Soul Reaves
13. Practically anyone from Threads of Fate
14. Altered Beast
15. Yoshimitsu (Maybe)
16. Thunder (Turok)
17. Riptor
18. Sub Zero (Maybe)
19. Kristal (Maybe)
20. Big Bertha (Super Mario Bros. Movie)
21. Manic the Hedgehog
22. Shadow the Hedgehog
23. Gondo (Skyward Sword)
24. The Avatar from Skate or Die
25. Aya Brea
26. Mitochondria Eve
27. Luis Sera
28. Albert Wesker
29. Jack Krauser
30. Tomball
31. Spike (Ape Escape)
32. Marina (infernium)
33. Blasto
34. Wex (Wild 9)

Just give me one from this list, Nintendo and I'm satisfied 🙏🏼😭

Oddball

Smash Lord
"You can't blame people. They're stupid!" is a line I really can't buy into.

As for the DLC itself.

So far I haven't really had any of my most wanteds hit the list, but there's enough characters I know and enjoy for it not to be a total drag. It was great seeing Terry and the various Heroes get back into action and Sephiroth's reveal and special boss fight was just great.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Out of all the DLC fighters, the Piranha Plant still has to be the biggest WTF moment. But in fairness, there's enough evidence to suggest that it was originally going to be a base game fighter.

Also, just as a side note, even if you don't purchase any of the DLC fighters, the DLC spirit board spirits will still show up at the shop.
For those who are trying to avoid Xenoblade Chronicles 2 spoilers, unfortunately, Pneuma will pop up one way or another.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I’m disappointed because I wanted steve and he turned about to be a boring character. He is the character that I wish would be removed the most. He has one of the most annoying move sets to fight and his gimmicks feel very boring beyond day one.

Hero i wish had a move set that more accurately portrayed how he payed in game (why do Ike, hero, and link have lumbering move sets when they have very fluid and fast fighting styles in game?!?!!?!?) and his mana gauge is only there because his down b exists. Replace down b with any othert move and his MP gauge has no purpose.

Banjo turned out to be another character that is wifi favored

Min min... do I even have to say anything?

Sephiroth was cool

Pyra had a **** trailer but are super fun in game. Also booba

byleth I’m fine with

terry uses some of the worst mechanics in the game. Move canceling, auto turn around, comeback mechanic. Sure he is fun, doesnt mean he isnt horribly designed

Plant is funny but he imo was a wasted slot.

joker was cool.

Edit: Lol this post sucked

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
My problem is that we we don't have character that are of the K.Rool or Isabelle variety. Everyone is either SUPER MEGA THIRD PARTY or Shill First Party, we don't get characters that have become common talking points in the base game or earlier years like K.Rool because they are not relevant (K.Rool and Banjo got really lucky), or characters that have become Nintendo mainstays like Isabelle, this means the options are super limited. No Waluigi or Isaac or Toad because they are NPCs (Chrom notwithstanding) spirits are reserved for characters from recent Nintendo games so that they can get promoted, and third parties are becoming the talk of the town and their shock value has diminshed greatly. When i saw Mega Man in Smash 4, that was a ****ing event, it was amazing, now i see Steve in Smash and say..............................................oh yeah, i expected that to happen. Honestly only Banjo was the one i really enjoyed both as a reveal and a character (even if i feel his specials could have been better, Seriously Steve's up special should have been Banjo's)

I mean i like Terry and Hero, but Terry feels like a better Ryu mechanic wise and Hero's playstyle is just terrible, literally the only sword-wielders i seem to have any fun with are Chrom, Roy, and the Kid Links, the rest feel really clunky and slow (or in Meta Knight's case, slippery) and i hate everything that Joker represents and wish he and Persona never came to Smash, but what can you do?. I guess Byleth is there, and while i do not like FE being Sakurai's spoiled child, i do think that it was better than Corrin in 4. Min Min and Pythra are nice announcements, but i don't like how basically it meant that ATs are out of the table (while Sakurai never stated that, the fact that he chose to pass on two characters that were ATs rubs me the wrong way) and how they would rather just put secondary characters or Deuteragonists, and i don't care about either of them too much, they are more characters that i appreciate than those who i would go out of my way to play as, i don't think i have much interest in the next DLC if this is how things are going. and im dissapointed they decided to milk FF7 again because Terra, Zidane, Cecil and others do not exist, and the extra content Seph brings doesn't really make me interested in him either. Woo Hoo, Seph brings content that should have come with Cloud in the base game, nice.

All in All, i only really liked like 3 of the 6 characters, and only really play as 2 of them. The only reason im not that upset at the DLC is that i got K.Rool and Simon, and Ridley, and all the other veterans, including those that i love (Wolf, Mewtwo, Roy) and have come to play a lot more often (Toon Link, Zelda, Diddy Kong) so i got my fix. In hindsight i think i would have preferred to ditch Fighter Pass 2 and instead focus on bringing some extra modes, like Smash Run, i would gladly trade all of FP2 for Smash Run 2: Revenge of Mimicutie.

Like, who needs Joker and Sephiroth when i can play as Simon in Smash Run 2, yeah, that sounds nice.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I disagree on some points
Sephiroth (second MW) & Steve were some of the best additions in Smash for me, with Pyra/Mythra being a nice bonus due to the way they play.
Aside from that the DLC didn't do much for me, specially FP1. Kinda feel like they didn't go all out this time for some reason, since with all their budget and massive feedback/requests from the fans you'd think they would go with more popular picks. Not to say the picks were bad, they just don't have the mass appeal that the previous ones did.

I think the real problem here is that the base game feels kinda rushed in terms of fighters, not really enough unique newcomers compared to previous Smash games and we had a plant as DLC.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Smash 4 DLC was AWESOME.

Lucas, Roy, Mewtwo, Ryu, and Cloud were great picks. Corrin and Bayonetta were alright. I wish we could have gotten Wolf back. I also am not sure why the Wii U version couldn't have kept Ice Climbers.

Smash 5 DLC is meh. Here is my opinion on them.

1. Joker - Everyone on Smash Character Discussion knows that I am not wild about this niche fighter that hasn't really appeared on a major Title on a Nintendo Console. Yet he is #1 among popular picks by Smash Japan fans so he is HUGE in Japan and has a strong niche following in other parts of the world as shown by his sells. Still, he just doesn't have much legacy with Nintendo or Smash fans in general.

2. Hero - I actually loved this character. HIs game is hot on Switch and Dragon Quest is a long standing Franchise that dates back to the NES. Granted it is more of a Japan pick than a US pick.

3. Banjo - Probably the best pick so far. Fits Smash well and was known for his N64 appearances

4. Terry - This pick is interesting. His character is iconic but not as well known in major markets like the USA and he isn't really big on Nintendo. Fighting franchises are underrepresented but I think Heihachi, Chun Li, Scorpion, or Akira from Virtual Fighter would have been better picks for this spot.

5. Byleth - I agree, this was a wasted spot. At least his moveset is more novel compared to other FE characters. He should have been in base game or bonus DLC instead of taking up a REAL spot

6. Min Min - I like this pick. New Nintendo IP is refreshing and character is unique

7. Steve - Deserve a spot. Probably was biggest addition so far. Not as iconic with most of older Smash fan base but is iconic in gaming period. His moveset is amazing.

8. Sephiroth - Very torn on this one. Iconic villain but only appeared in one game already represented. FF 7 was underrepresented in Smash and he completes it but it gives a game that didn't appear on Nintendo consoles until recently two unique characters. Should have had music and content from the FULL Final Fantasy series in this spot. I think this was more of a Square-Enix decision than Nintendo and there is NO reason for Nintendo to turn down Sephiroth if that is the favorite. So not a bad pick.

9. Mythra/Pyra - Probably one of the underwhelming picks, especially this late in the game. Just like Byleth, should have been a base game character or not counted towards IP instead of an actual DLC spot. A lot of other picks could have gone here.

Out of the list, I see 5 that were fun and belong in the DLC and 4 that I did not prefer or I find questionable (Byleth, Joker, Mythra/Pyra, and Terry). Joker and Terry can be justified but I think there are better picks that had closer ties to Nintendo. Sub Joker for Ryu Hayabusa and Terry for Heihachi and you have better DLC pack. Byleth and Mythra/Pyra belong in Base game or as bonus picks instead of taking spots away from DLC.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Wow, imagine getting to a point where first parties are so looked down upon. And calling fighters shill picks for a game that came out years ago at this point? Imagine being disappointed Nintendo put their own content into their own game.

Look, I don't like several of the DLC picks, pretty much most of the third parties, I don't like how third party focused it has been much like Smash 4 DLC which started this oversaturation (remember when Sonic just coming back was a big deal?). Kind of an irony that I also don't like it that much, but seemingly for a different main reason. Plus, I'm not a fan of them not putting Rex. I probably won't like what tomorrow brings, but apparently I can still lose when winning anyway.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
PP - Honestly a fun good character. Simple yet distinct. It already set the stage that Ultimate is going to go all out.

Joker - Never knew of him till the reveal. It's kind of neat seeing someone who doesn't even represent a series that was originally on Nintendo before being chosen(let's be real, Q2 was not why Joker was chosen. That's something they just figured out would be a good game for Atlus, now that Joker can effectively be promoted related very slightly to it. He still clearly is meant to represent just Persona 5 on his own. The Mii Costumes are a different story. Definitely isn't Cloud, who had actual cameos before he would've been chosen. So a unique situation where the Nintendo presence is not a core factor. But seeing as how almost everyone who is every plausible already has a Nintendo cameo or more, it doesn't actually matter).

Hero - Pretty fun, and a well-made and interesting character who represents RPG's well. Perhaps too many things at once at best, but it's only a fraction of what RPG's can offer. We don't have someone based around Equipment yet. I'd have liked Slime more, but I won't lie; this character is fun as hell~

Banjo & Kazooie - N64 legends, etc. They were bound to get in, imo. I expected Steve and Master Chief to appear eventually. Only one lacks a cameo or playable form so far. I'll take a spirit event, honestly, if they aren't playable.

Terry - I loved the games. So a big win to me.

Byleth - I'd have been disappointed if the moveset wasn't cool overall. This is kind of the Equipment moveset I'd like, but I actually want to see something more akin to Armor, not just Weapons, changing(namely where they get stronger and stronger throughout the match. So basically similar to a Meter like Joker has, in a sense). I wasn't honestly that interested in Monster Hunter, the only other character I know of who could pull a similar concept(though definitely not the same moveset by any means. They'd both feel highly different).

Min Min - I'm glad ARMS got a character, but she's not one I'd have chosen. Albeit, she got in due to the Director requesting her, which isn't a big deal. That said, I'd have taken Spring Man or Dr. Coyle over her. Still, she's interesting as an idea, though I can't really connect with her at all.

Steve/Alex - Last missing major gaming icon for a while, so a perfect thing for me. It's not a moveset that I can mesh with, but I'm okay with that. I just wanted them in, and boy do they deserve it.

Sephiroth - Downstab, baby. But yeah, awesome. I love the character as is. And I got an Aerith costume to boot(I guessed nearly the entire costume set, except no Moogle costume and I was hoping Geno was updated to Premium).

Pyra & Mythra - Transformation characters as clones? Nice! It's only too bad Rex couldn't play his part fully, but that's okay. At least Sakurai proved the costumes meant jack-all. Same reason I don't think BOTW stuff is remotely counted out due to the Ancient Costume, but I'm not considered anything counted out till the end of it.

So overall, a very solid lineup. I'll never get my true most wanted, honestly, but that's okay. I'm still enjoying the cool characters we've gotten so far. Now if I could get at least one character(or their franchise) from a fun Fighter's Pass 2 I made, that'd be great. Though I'm an oddball who wants the Oracle version of Impa, not just her in general. But I never played SS, so it's not like I can connect with that one whatsoever. I did play HW, but she doesn't do anything for me. OOT one is still cool. Oracle games are some of my favorites, soooooo.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
My opinions
:ultpiranha:- I remember a while back someone posted a png of Waluigi with a Piranha Plant in his hand saying this was the character they wanted. I made a snarky remark that Sakurai would definitely ad in Piranha Plant... a time later that became reality. Found it so hilarious that I could never dislike plant's inclusion
:ultjoker:- No Complaints. Perfect surprise 3rd party character from an excellent series
:ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4: - I'm still surprised by how much hate the western audience gave this. It really opened my eyes on how many people today dislike jrpgs and the "anime aesthetic". I loved this reveal; been a DQ fan since DQ8.
:ultbanjokazooie:- My most wanted character... though a bit underwhelmed by his move set especially compared to everybody else in pass 1
:ult_terry:- A character and franchise I only knew in passing. Wasn't my thing but other people loved him.
:ultbyleth::ultbylethf: - Since Three Houses is my 2nd most played Switch game behind Ultimate... got no problem. Sure its another FE character but the moveset differences give them variety compared to all the other FE characters already included. I don't get the mob mentality where they welcome Marth Clones with open arms but when a FE character does something different they want to burn them at the stake.
:ultminmin- A fine choice (even though I dont like ARMS or playing this particular character)... I think that each smash game should be able to represent its generation of Nintendo. I was underwhelmed by the base newcomers not including more current generation Nintendo characters ( I loved the Nintendo characters they included dont get me wrong.)
:ultsteve:- Not my thing and has become the character I hate fighting the most... Never played Minecraft more than an hour either so doesn't hold any place in my heart. Only character I'd find smash more enjoyable if they were never included. Still, glad someone enjoys him.
:ultsephiroth:-The fact that the One Winged Angel track is in the game is enough reason for me to love this. Also a nice balanced character, despite how much his neutral B screwed me over especially online where dropped inputs and lag exist.
:ultpyra:- Honestly, my most played character in the DLC pack. Rex and Pyra were my most wanted character to represent current Nintendo and were afraid they'd be left behind like Elma. XC2, Splatoon 2 and BotW were my triforce of switch games that gave me entertainment on my switch while I waited for Smash Ultimate to come out.

Overall- I found this incredibly enjoyable.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I posted a note about this in another thread. What has surprised me about the Fighter Pass since Day 1 is some of the third-party picks. There are three companies that are major players with Nintendo that haven't gotten a character.

1. Komei-Tecmo - Ryu Hayabusa fits perfectly
2. Ubisoft - Rayman fits perfectly
3. Namco - Several great options but it seems like Lloyd or Hiehachi fit well

The fact that these three companies have gotten no IP in either pass and the fact that Komei-Tecmo and Ubisoft have no fighters in the game is just shocking with how supportive all three companies have been towards Nintendo.

Obviously with only two spots left (unless something funny is announced), at least one of them will be left out if not all of them. I would be curious as to why there is a lack of representation from all three if they are not among the last two spots.

I do think that characters from these three companies would have been far better supported than what we got.

Replace Terry with Heihachi and Joker with Ryu Hayabusa for example and you get more Nintendo-friendly IP and far better support. Rayman also should have found a way into this pass with how much his fanbase has been drug through the mud by Sakurai in the constant teases, trophies appearing in Smash 4, etc. they have received. No fanbase, except maybe Geno, have gone through worse.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Wow, imagine getting to a point where first parties are so looked down upon. And calling fighters shill picks for a game that came out years ago at this point? Imagine being disappointed Nintendo put their own content into their own game.

Look, I don't like several of the DLC picks, pretty much most of the third parties, I don't like how third party focused it has been much like Smash 4 DLC which started this oversaturation (remember when Sonic just coming back was a big deal?). Kind of an irony that I also don't like it that much, but seemingly for a different main reason. Plus, I'm not a fan of them not putting Rex. I probably won't like what tomorrow brings, but apparently I can still lose when winning anyway.
Agreed, I was hoping for wave 2 to be focused more on 1st party characters, but looking at how much people throw around the phrase "shill picks" don't think they would have appreciated it. Meanwhile, characters like the Howard twins, Hades, Bandana Dee, Elma and a ton of pokemon have to take a back seat and probably would have had people up in arms even if they were picked.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Kazuya isn't a shill pick. Badass design, but his moveset is very niche.

Top Bottom