• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Tyson651

Smash Lord
lmao, someone should really hack brawl/melee and make a video of like melee fox/falco vs brawl mk/snake

that would be fun to watch.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
**** looks like I stepped into a time machine, it's 2008 all over again. Seriously, all of this has been said by the same god**** individuals (well at least Carl and Victor) last year, nothing new has been said. That was a ridiculous read -.-

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Yeahh, Carl's post was gg. I was kinda typing mine while attempting to do homework so it kinda went off on a few tangents I think. :X

also, melee can't touch the fluidity of brawl diddy
Actually, yeah Diddy felt pretty good to play I gotta say. If he had something to kill with I probably would have stayed.
victor you play ganon in brawl, no wonder you feel limited
I didn't know the other characters could utilize platforms, my bad.

But really, if I'm gonna play a limited game, I might as well play who I have fun with.

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
Everybody else knows what I'm talking about.
that was silly, because it's pretty obvious what Tyler is talking about. He wants to make a thread on melee monthlies, he's in charge of the rules, he wants to implement stage striking, the majority of people don't really care, while the people in Calgary are complaining.

(In response to Sid).
Sid, it would help a bit if you went back a couple pages and read what everybody was talking about before jumping to the conclusion that I just post about randomness that nobody knows...
^**** you guys, just ****

wait, melee doesn't use stage striking? WTF
Yeah, Brawl just made it up because people couldn't deal with randoms. =/

Melee players stop playing Metaknight. Squirtle is actually the closest thing to Melee in Brawl ;)
The ones who play metaknight don't do it because it's like melee, they do it because A. they don't care or B. it's hilarious and easy.

Squirtle is definately not, it's by far Link (because he's basically Link without L-canceling)

lmao, someone should really hack brawl/melee and make a video of like melee fox/falco vs brawl mk/snake

that would be fun to watch.
Brawl would win because melee couldn't combo brawl, yet brawl could combo melee, infinitly

Seriously, all of this has been said by the same god**** individuals (well at least Carl and Victor) last year, nothing new has been said. That was a ridiculous read -.-
Seriously all of this chaingrab has been downthrow by the same god**** Luke (well, at least Luke and Luke) last year, nothing new has been done. Luke was never good for anything else. -.-

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I almost forgot.

Stages is what makes this game unique. I have been saying this forever, and I'll stick to it. The more stages the better.
Stages is what makes this game unique. I have been saying this forever, and I'll stick to it. The more stages the better.
/lolstagestriking?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Squirtle is definately not, it's by far Link (because he's basically Link without L-canceling)

Brawl would win because melee couldn't combo brawl, yet brawl could combo melee, infinitly
Actually, I never noticed but you're right lol.

lolololololoololol. My god Brad, you should cash in your posts cause they're golden.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
I was talking with a couple friends the other day about Brawl and what we feel is missing from the game. Among many things, lack of edgeguarding (or rather, ease of recovery) came up. Specifically, spikes and/or meteor smashes. I really miss having the chance to go flying off the edge (or even staying on!) and getting that satisfying "UHHHHHHHH YEAH WUT WUT" hit. It *can* happen in Brawl, but really... no. There's no magic :'-(

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
yeah, don't get me started on that *must tipper with marths down air in order to spike* bullcrap lol

bothers me so much considering how laggy the move is

The_Game

Smash Apprentice
lol watch me call out Luke: He's not going to post for awhile to see if people will forget about bread's post. That being said... Bravo luke for saying something funny:
**** looks like I stepped into a time machine, it's 2008 all over again. Seriously, all of this has been said by the same god**** individuals (well at least Carl and Victor) last year, nothing new has been said.

Oh and this: Better yet, how are there good Falcon players?
That was good victra

aish

Smash Journeyman
I like pit.. :3 melee doesn't have pit.. =[

@tyler - no i was planning to have melee/brawl doubles followed by melee/brawl pools and then next day have singles and low tier but jack said he didn't want to mix up the two xP depending on melee turn out i may make it happen on a friday but it's a month away so time to prep the days :3

@carl - yeah i know keegan! 8D we in the same classs~

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Having Melee and Brawl going on at the same time is awkward. It takes time to get used to one game after playing the other, and alternating between the two tends to end badly. DX It wouldn't be too bad if it was, say, running Melee Doubles, than running Brawl Doubles after Melee is finished, but running both at the same time won't go over very well for the people that want to enter both.

:005:

aish

Smash Journeyman
Grrr read my posts 8[ of course i'm not planning to run both at once or else it'd be on one day instead of two, man running two events at the same time? its like the way genesis ran the events where the events were mixed but separated events, i guess i can't type lazy.

Here was what i was planning before in timeline mode. it'll probably be back to seperated 1 day for each game but eh we'll see

Day 1
Melee doubles
Brawl doubles
Melee pools
Brawl pool

Day2
Melee singles
Brawl singles
melee low tier
brawl low tier

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Grrr read my posts 8[ of course i'm not planning to run both at once or else it'd be on one day instead of two, man running two events at the same time? its like the way genesis ran the events where the events were mixed but separated events, i guess i can't type lazy.

Here was what i was planning before in timeline mode. it'll probably be back to seperated 1 day for each game but eh we'll see

Day 1
Melee doubles
Brawl doubles
Melee pools
Brawl pool

Day2
Melee singles
Brawl singles
melee low tier
brawl low tier
Sorry. The way you phrased it in your previous post made it look as though you were planning on running both at the same time ("melee/brawl doubles followed by melee/brawl pools").

Seperating the two events to have one on each day will work better for people who only want to play one game, but mixing them like you're suggesting should encourage more people to enter both events instead of just one. I donno, it depends on what everybody else thinks.

:005:

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
I didn't know the other characters could utilize platforms, my bad.

But really, if I'm gonna play a limited game, I might as well play who I have fun with.
The only way you would feel limited in brawl is if you are ganon vs falco or playing as a recovering snake.

The_Game

Smash Apprentice
BIRTHDAY OSHI
OUT OF TOWNERS GET FREE HOUSING OMG ALLCAPS
Someone make a banner.

TOURNAMENT INFORMATION

WHEN & WHERE?

Saturday November 28 @ 12:30 pm

60 Brookpark Mews SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Since this is at my somewhat-but-not-really-spacious house, I'm putting a cap of 16 entrants. I don't even know if we'll get that many. I'll feel horrible if someone shows up after 16 entrants, so enforcement will be shaky. Just try to keep it at 16.

EVENTS:
Melee singles $2
Melee doubles $4/team

Why entry fees? So there can be a prize. I don't intend this to be a super serious event anyhow. If that were the case, I'd have a larger venue rented out or something. This is still a tourney though, so... yeah, entry fees. Also, Victor doesn't get $0.50 off for both entry fees.
Bring setups. They will get you a Victor discount, and I might love and admire you from ages unto ages if you do. And you might want that.

THE SCHEDULE
Saturday, November 28/09

Doubles Registration/Friendlies 12:30pm
Doubles 1:00pm-3:00pm
Singles Registration/Friendlies 3:30pm
Doubles 4:00pm-Finish.

Mad friendlies afterwards. Everyone should have at least one set with everyone else. If there's a shoutout thread, I don't want a thread that's all "omg ur kewl but we nevah really playd eachother." None of those shenanigans. Don't make a shoutout thread

Crew battle perhaps?

The full bracket will be probably not be available for participant view at all times. Please make good use of this and check often to see if you're allowed to look at it, and if you are check your position and upcoming matches. Make sure you report your matches as well. Do a barrel roll

IMPORTANT - As a reference point, there will likely be a 15-20 min delay between your matches, and will be shorter as you progress in the tournament. This can also be reduced significantly with a good number of setups. PLEASE BRING TVs/Wiis/Cubes. I have a single Wii and 3 TVs that can be used, but that just won't do for something like this. Bring setups nao. I've got lots of tv's so don't actually bring any... I just didn't feel like editing this part of Sid's post. You have to help me carry them out of my garage though

THE RULES

ALLOWED/RANDOM STAGES:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi’s story
Dreamland 64
Pokemon Stadium
Fountain of Dreams (except for Doubles)

COUNTERPICKS:
Brinstar
Corneria
Green Greens
Jungle Japes
Kongo Jungle
Kongo Jungle 64
Mute City (except for Doubles)
Poke Floats
Rainbow Cruise
Great Bay

BANNED:
Everything else. I don't really care if you both agree on it.

FORMAT:
-Pools for seeding purposes (singles only), then double elimination bracket.
-4 Stock.
-No items.
-8 Minute time limit.
-Matches are best of 3 games, except for winners bracket final, losers bracket final, and grand finals which are best of 5.
-First game is on random stage, unless players come to a consensus within the allowed stages.
-Double blind pick may be called by either player/team during any first game of any set (a third party will be told each competitor's character selection) to avoid counter-picking
-Advanced slob picks
-Dave's stupid rule. Daves stupid rule does not apply in best of 5 situations during the winners finals, losers finals, and championship match.
-Pausing other than in the event of an emergency or by accident (at opponent's discretion) will result in a loss for that particular game.

Doubles rules same as above, as well as:
-Team attack ON
-SHARE STOCK allowed

BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER! I don't have very many, and they're not the greatest controllers. If you can't bring one (or forget), then borrow someone else's.

PRIZES

All event prizes will be distributed as follows:

First place - 60% of pot
Second place - 30% of pot
Third place - 10% of pot

Say we get 16 participants for singles.

$31.50 pot
1st - $18.90 prize
2nd - $9.45 prize
3rd - $3.15 prize

or we could just buy a pizza

See you there.[/quote=lemonlau36]

The_Game

Smash Apprentice
Alternatively if out of towners don't feel like coming, it could just be a smashfest... There will be drinking after the tournament. AND ITS MANDATORY.
also let me know if you're coming. That means you Carl... I know it's your birthday soon too like Alex and Sid who will be there and Eric Teh Icy of Lethbridge will be there too

ALSO: Link Baseball is a mandatory event held after the drinking

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
Yeeeeeee HYPE!!!!!

I don't recall having pools? Haha silly me. Nice edit ;)

Edit: Link Baseball HYPE!!!!!

Edit2: Out-of-towners HYPE!!!!!

FalseFalco

Smash Master
i loled at great bay
what I want to know is how much brad paid you to allow those counterpick stages

I'll still come assuming I'm not broke by then
like baseball sounds amazing

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
THE (NEW) MELEE MONTHLIES THREAD

You MUST post in that thread if you are attending. Shiro said it himself; you MUST DO IT.

Victor, don't be an *** and ban me for advertising. In fact, I'm asking you (pretty please) to put this in the OP so others can see it. Please.

Edit: I just realized I gotta take out a stage from neutrals for doubles. Should we take out KJ64 or Yoshi's?

Top Bottom