• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I'm not going to get into the Brawl/Melee business, but as Solaris said about thinking your own way, think of this (lol irony).

Armada vs US. Obviously metagames are different in different countries/continents, etc and the European metagame is based on their own playing, not comparing to North America's. Yet with his own style and thinking, he whomped through Genesis.

I dislike when players mimic pro players' styles. For ideas and self-advice through videos or watching matches live, that can help, but completely doing the same style is dumb because as Solaris said, everyone has completely different perspectives on playstyle.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Everything sky mentioned is already present in Melee so there's nothing new he's bringing to the table.

Alphazealot on the other hand has some interesting insight:
Recently there was an article on Gameriot written by Glenn Cravens mentioning that there appeared to be a more emotional attachment to Brawl because victories were so hard fought for. He is right! In Melee, you would have to manipulate the opponent so that you could find a few openings during each stock, you didn’t need many openings, just a few to start long combos where most of the damage was dealt. Much of the depth was in finding or creating these openings, the thinking stopped when a combo started, and picked up again when a combo finished. But, lets remember back to some of the most memorable sets in Melee, they often came down to last stock, last hit situations, where each player was cautiously trying to exploit the other to land just one hit, just a single hit, that would win the game, it wasn’t the combo, it was that presence of mind that all these players needed was a single opening.

In Brawl we have this multiplied substantially, almost every attack you land on the opponent is the result of something you did right and something they did wrong. The opponent can air dodge at any time, but you also know they can air dodge at anytime, so how is this at all a bad thing? Watching a combo in Brawl, where one player predicts the other players defensive action so that their string of attacks continues to extend, is a lot more interesting than seeing a Ken Combo for the thousandth time. These pseudo combo’s (because a true combo leaves no room for response) are substantially more interesting than combo’s in Melee. Suddenly, both players are thinking after a hit takes place, not rehearsing!
I can see where AZ is coming from with his brawl experiences.

However, I don't enjoy working for an opening and then having it taken away after I land one hit. In my eyes that's like working hard to knock someone to the ground, and then the ref holds me back until my opponent gets back up and is ready to fight again. You take turns knocking eachother to the ground but not finishing anything until you get tired and lose. Sure this is "more intense" or whatever, but it really shouldnt be. If you out-think your opponent you deserve to be able to make the most out of it. Brawl does not obey the risk reward system in the same manner as melee.

Not to mention the ref lets some characters go nuts (falco mk) with little to no intervention. In melee it's more of a no holds barred fight where teching and DI keep you from taking it on your back. This, combined with the fact that brawl movement feels like boxing in jello makes it a really frustrating game to play.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I'm not going to get into the Brawl/Melee business, but as Solaris said about thinking your own way, think of this (lol irony).

Armada vs US. Obviously metagames are different in different countries/continents, etc and the European metagame is based on their own playing, not comparing to North America's. Yet with his own style and thinking, he whomped through Genesis.

I dislike when players mimic pro players' styles. For ideas and self-advice through videos or watching matches live, that can help, but completely doing the same style is dumb because as Solaris said, everyone has completely different perspectives on playstyle.
I believe the metagames are quite similar. Armada is just really good.

Everyone "mimic's" pro players styles because pro players strive to make their character perfect.

Scientifically God

Smash Cadet
Wtf is with all the melee players whining and *****ing over a completely reasonable rule that adds more to the game?

EDIT: Actually it seems to be mainly Calgary. You guys are lame.

lol. more like we don't play on half the stages, save for if it's god for both characters, A falcon player will NEVER play on FoD cause he'll always strike it, yet he will also never get to play on YS.

Why fix something thats not broken?

Edit: oh i forgot its cause barlw is broken dohohoho

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I think we're just gonna try stage striking for the first monthly, and see how that goes. I haven't ran into anybody in Edmonton yet who has a problem with it (aka people that will actually go to the monthlies), so it's worth a shot to see if it works out or not.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
I think we're just gonna try stage striking for the first monthly, and see how that goes. I haven't ran into anybody in Edmonton yet who has a problem with it (aka people that will actually go to the monthlies), so it's worth a shot to see if it works out or not.
Conversations with Tyler

Act I

Scene I - A busy street in Edmonton.

The street is hustling and bustling with people about their everyday business. Enter TYLER and an Edmontonian.

TYLER
(singing) ~Sho me the meaning of being lonely.
~Is this the feeling I need to walk with?
~Tell me why I ca- Oh hello Edmontonian.

Edmontonian
Good day sir!

TYLER
I have a question that I was hoping someone could answer.

Edmontonian
Shoot.

TYLER
(pacing) How do I put this? Hmm...

Edmontonian
Well, what is it?

TYLER
Do you have a problem with stage striking?

Edmontonian
I have no idea what you are talking about. Infact, I see you around these parts just about every day and have no clue about any nonsense you are rambling on about. Good riddance!

Exeunt

----------------------

This is my artistic expression of my feelings on just about all of your posts.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
that was silly, because it's pretty obvious what Tyler is talking about. He wants to make a thread on melee monthlies, he's in charge of the rules, he wants to implement stage striking, the majority of people don't really care, while the people in Calgary are complaining.

(In response to Sid).

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Sid, it would help a bit if you went back a couple pages and read what everybody was talking about before jumping to the conclusion that I just post about randomness that nobody knows...

Vania: Mmm I don't think so. A lot of people are hyped for that, I'd rather them come to that then this. Besides that, there's always the 12th for my melee monthly which is also a Saturday. =)

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
If you're for surely doing doing melee monthlies should i take it off my december special ? xD
Yeah, honestly I could not do Melee/Brawl on the same day, if these monthlies are on a different week than yours, then I could probably make it for some Melee without wrecking my Brawl game.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Wait Van, is your December special just on Saturday, or is it Saturday + Sunday? It's really hard to squish four events into one day, especially if friendlies don't start until no later than 11 and the doors to the place close before night.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
I'm aware of the topic.

Really the whole thing was in reference to the wording of your statement. It's... awkward.

1) "We're" - Who is we?
2) "I haven't ran into anybody..." - Implies that you're searching for people to disagree?
3) How do you know who's all going to the monthlies?

Then I just expanded because I find many of your statements to be presumptive.

Really this is just out of boredom and shouldn't be taken too seriously. I still have another 3 hours to kill at school :-\

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I'm aware of the topic.

Really the whole thing was in reference to the wording of your statement. It's... awkward.

1) "We're" - Who is we?
2) "I haven't ran into anybody..." - Implies that you're searching for people to disagree?
3) How do you know who's all going to the monthlies?

Then I just expanded because I find many of your statements to be presumptive.

Really this is just out of boredom and shouldn't be taken too seriously. I still have another 3 hours to kill at school :-\
1. Shiro and I?

2. Yes, I actually am, because everybody I asked that's actually going to the monthlies hasn't said no yet (besides Victor, who said he doesn't really care).

3. I made a list a while ago. I asked people and marked them down.

btw you aren't the only one who's bored. >_>

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
lmao Sid. That was golden. Once again, Tyler's response made it funnier than it already was.

If you're for surely doing doing melee monthlies should i take it off my december special ? xD
lol that makes no sense D:< december special still plz thxthx

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Victra essay pt 1.

*forgot to reply to the debate*

For the brawl and melee debate, Carl said it the best. I don't mean to be rude but that post by Sky` was pretty bad, Carl and I were laughing pretty hard reading it today in Sol. The way its written is great, but the actual content says nothing that's not already known for melee. It feels like he's trying desperately to tear brawl part by part and making it sound like something it really isn't.

ps. I liked the part where he said "my move only takes 2 frames, yours comes out in 4. I have covered my options" or whatever.

I don't know where the myth of how combos are mindless comes from. I wouldn't like to make assumptions, but I think it's safe to say that brawl players who aren't familiar with melee don't see deep enough, but rather just see hit after hit and are like ;/ Aside from 2-hit auto combos or sheik, combo's can be pretty tough and more often than not, incorporates a lot of reading and mindgames. How many of us can legit combo Carl? How many times does he combo us? Think about that, and ask yourself why that is. Better yet, how are there good Falcon players?

Also, Carl and I talked about it a lot and we kinda feel the same way, in fact a lot of us [melee players]do. The thing about Brawl is that you're so limited. This isn't a good thing and the biggest misconception is that "brawl is so limited, thus it requires more effort to make the best of an opening." Unfortunately, the effort is relatively the same but making the best out of an opening means 1 hit. I really liked Carl's boxing analogy and I think it nailed it on the head.

Continuing with the limiting feeling of brawl, the game takes away from a lot of elements from melee. No, i'm not just talking about combos, but more so with something i miss much more. Fluidity. Melee uses platforms to the absolute fullest potential, and basic mindgames such as run towards-jump back-waveland forward-grab are moot. Even just dash back-dash forward <insert move> isn't an option. I really really really miss the fluid feel of melee.

In all honestly, if I have never played Melee at the level I do know (which is, at the competitive level) I would more than likely prefer Brawl over. Carl as well. In fact, Carl and I both were really into Brawl when it first came out. Actually, i recall losing interest in Brawl and Carl started supporting Brawl and telling me to give it a chance. The thing is though, is that we have experienced Melee, and as such, we've experienced a game with near limitless possibilities and options. It's hard to give that up for something that takes away nearly everything and adds nothing new. I honestly don't know how Luke, Jack and Dan do it. At least they're getting a monthly salary.

T-block

B2B TST
Carl's post was great - most intelligent post I've seen on this debate in a while. Then Vic took it and sorta ran it into the missing-the-point direction. I don't really feel like arguing anymore, and I'm already sorry for bringing it up, but my point was: Brawl is different, and Melee players have zero chance of enjoying it if they keep treating it as the next Melee.

Melee players stop playing Metaknight. Squirtle is actually the closest thing to Melee in Brawl ;)

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Carl's post was great - most intelligent post I've seen on this debate in a while. Then Vic took it and sorta ran it into the missing-the-point direction. I don't really feel like arguing anymore, and I'm already sorry for bringing it up, but my point was: Brawl is different, and Melee players have zero chance of enjoying it if they keep treating it as the next Melee.

Melee players stop playing Metaknight. Squirtle is actually the closest thing to Melee in Brawl ;)
I watched some genesis brawl crew matches when I was there so I could see the higher levels of play.
they were pretty fun to watch; Some players really showed mastery of the game. But then M2K lost to zhu and I had to go back

Top Bottom