• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Then you're doing it wrong. >_>

I think I'm going to start making fun of Melee players for being so ignorant about Brawl. It's getting annoying.

Sensai

Smash Master
I think I'm going to start making fun of Melee players for being so ignorant about Brawl. It's getting annoying.
10lulz

[Edit:]

I really hate that signatures automatically come up if you're quoting a message. I'm going to disable it right now.

Actually, nevermind. I'll just gripe more. :-D

j00t

Smash Champion
DanGR said:
The only thing I was ignorant about seeing in Brawl is how broken the game was. But now I see the light.

/sarcasm?

SleepyK

Banned via Administration

I think I'm going to start making fun of generalizations for being so ignorant in general. It's getting annoying. chinks.

i could say the same about brawl players and etc. etc. etc.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor

lol are you talking about me? cuz i'm not much of a melee player

if "doing it correctly" is something other than "doing it at the same time as when they do a move" which works on every other character, then forgive me i dont have that kind of intuition

popsofctown

Smash Champion
i hope he wasn't talking about you, because Olimar's a very hard character to fight

DanGR just knows that I've spotdodge->punished him, but he doesn't actually know the other side of the match up.

Doing it correctly is making sure to spot dodge close to him, not far from him. The tips of his grab and fsmash have long duration hitboxes which makes them hard to spotdodge. You want to get closer than that before you try to utilize spot dodging. At closer range, you can spotdodge fsmashes, grabs, ftilts, downsmashes, and pikmin throws. There's still some other long duration moves he can try to hit you with, but that's the rock paper scissors of a fighting game.

Remember to use the right character against olimar or it will make you cry. Luigi, Peach, Rob, Olimar, Metaknight are the guys that can beat him. Oh, and Sheik.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
i hope he wasn't talking about you, because Olimar's a very hard character to fight

DanGR just knows that I've spotdodge->punished him, but he doesn't actually know the other side of the match up.

Doing it correctly is making sure to spot dodge close to him, not far from him. The tips of his grab and fsmash have long duration hitboxes which makes them hard to spotdodge. You want to get closer than that before you try to utilize spot dodging. At closer range, you can spotdodge fsmashes, grabs, ftilts, downsmashes, and pikmin throws. There's still some other long duration moves he can try to hit you with, but that's the rock paper scissors of a fighting game.

Remember to use the right character against olimar or it will make you cry. Luigi, Peach, Rob, Olimar, Metaknight are the guys that can beat him. Oh, and Sheik.
I wasn't talking about T1J. It was a general statement that didn't come out right. Tone doesn't translate over the internet... at all. >_<

I know how to spotdodge against my own character, Alex. >_>

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
olimar arent easy to me. in fact i think they are my hardest charecter for some reason. on paper they should be easy for me. BLASPHEMY!

whos johning??????!!!

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Super Street Fighter II Turbo makes me so happy. HD Remix is like the Christmas card that thoughtfully reminds me why. Merry Christmas, Alabama Thread.

p.s. - thank you mslano for the new Melee main. for years, i completely underestimated Ganondorf.

p.p.s. - that is a great observation, Pops. i didn't realize Olimar's grab had a duration hitbox at range. i'll try not to get hit by it assuming i willingly play that matchup, which is unlikely.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
The only way you'll grab Snake with MK is when you know he's grenade countering or using his ftilt too fast and you can running spotdodge through it into a grab. Dtilt->grab works too...

I'm assuming you weren't serious though, so I'll just leave it at that. ._.

Sensai

Smash Master
Super Street Fighter II Turbo makes me so happy. HD Remix is like the Christmas card that thoughtfully reminds me why. Merry Christmas, Alabama Thread.

p.s. - thank you mslano for the new Melee main. for years, i completely underestimated Ganondorf.
I never played the original SFII and have no history with traditional fighting games....is the HD Remix worth it?

And you're joining up as a Gannon main for Melee now? Welcome to the Elite. :-D

Will_

Smash Journeyman
The only way you'll grab Snake with MK is when you know he's grenade countering or using his ftilt too fast and you can running spotdodge through it into a grab. Dtilt->grab works too...

I'm assuming you weren't serious though, so I'll just leave it at that. ._.
More or less. I'm always interested to see other players' takes on the matchup.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Going ahead and dropping this guys.

Don't buy Castlevania Judgement and plan to have fun with it. It's a pretty sad fighting game, glad I didn't have to pay for it.

mslano

Smash Journeyman
Merry Christmas everybody.

For the locals, who would be interested in some Melee on the 26th? I'm thinking an afternoon fest with Coach and Andy making an arrival later in the evening to join in before we have to rest up for the start of our trip. Let me know what you think. I'm especially hoping that Kevin can make it since he missed the last trip to Huntsville and the last local smashfest.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I'm used to it. >_>

Snake is easy peasy. Grab>Snake
i forgot that quick that you play olimar
characters that have more range than snake render him useless. his whole game is "lol i can hit you from far away" or at least that's how i play him

i get grabbed all the time by MK because I'm a shield camping son of a ***** with snake.
but honestly who gives a **** if MK grabs you. i'd rather get grabbed than get d-smashed. its like grab, d-throw...ohnoes you just faired into a grenade.
grab, fthrow..ohnoes you just up b'd into a grenade

i'll try to make it tomorrow slano

popsofctown

Smash Champion
agreed, MK's grab pays off less than almost any other character. It's very easy to hit with though (or should i say "latch with"?)

Merry Christmas!!
I got Kirby Super Star Ultra for Christmas. It has co-op on the main game, and i'd really like to play the co-op. I'm going to try to keep on playing FFVI and wait for someone who can play kirby co-op with me before i ruin it by playing single player (that's what i did to Four Swords). Does anyone here have Kirby Super Star Ultra? Maybe people ranked third in Alabama or otherwise?

coach

Smash Apprentice
merry christmas everyone shout outs.

rob - you still have to L cancel so get on that.
brawl***s - you still dont have to L cancel so get on that.

j00t

Smash Champion
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Fallout 3 is incredibly amazing. Get it now!

*back to Fallout 3*

popsofctown

Smash Champion
It's not ultra enough.

Jk, i was specifically looking for someone who could play the co-op with me, or perhaps competitively try to high score eachother at gourmet race. Does Kirby Superstar have an identical version of gourmet race?

Top Bottom