• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

j00t

Smash Champion
Munkus, I applied for the Warhammer Online closed beta. I hope it's good. And I hope I'm not too late. >_>

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I'd love to, but I have class preeeeeeeetty much all day. Plus class all day Thursday (so I gotta study a lot). Friday afternoon maybe, or Thursday possibly.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Munkus, I applied for the Warhammer Online closed beta. I hope it's good. And I hope I'm not too late. >_>
You kinda are. At this point, your best bet of getting in would be to utilize the pre-order bonus of open beta access.

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
were you the falco?
No. I played you with Wolf and Ike.

i'll be at it. i'm trying to get in contact with reflex and see if hes comming
One of two reasons I'm not playing.
1. The school year has just begun and money is short.
2. How could I possibly think I'd win against the #1 player in the state?
If he can read this, Reflex, I'm not saying don't come, I still want to play you, I'm just not going to basically pay you to beat me.

I'll be glad to rematch your friend, lajackson. I'm heading to the bham monthly on the 30th as well.
He says he would love to play you again.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
In amazing Wii hacking news, I have Smash 64 as a Virtual Console game now. Other than appearing as Sin & Punishment on the Wii menu, and having transparency issues with the magnifying glass when your character is off the screen, the game runs perfectly.

I will hopefully have myself a new TV this week. :)
are u going to the ga tourney.

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
i dont remember playing a wolf/ike, you might have me confused.

sensai can you host smashfests in bham? i will come
100th post!!!!

Maybe I am confused. I saw a post where you said you play with Sheik and the guy I played had the tag T1J (TheONEjanitor) so I figured it was you. If you don't remember, I could be wrong, still want to play you though (another Diddy to compare to......and possibly steal from....).

Yes, someone do that. I'd come too, if it's not far.....

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
hmm maybe i'm just forgetting.
unless someone was using my tag. but i dont see why someone would do that.

what was your name in the tournament?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Sweet. I think you recorded my matches against Iori and Chad, as well as the losers semifinals and finals.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Sweet. I think you recorded my matches against Iori and Chad, as well as the losers semifinals and finals.
Metaknight.... yaaaaawn.

As a side note, if any UA'rs want to Smash in centrally located Burke East, hit me up. I've got nothing to do... till classes start...

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
always.

um. i know that Sensai isn't in Huntsville, but should I bring some Soul Calibur games to Moogle's next time? i did watch you guys play Smash 64 last week, so anything is possible.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
so guys nes noob has alerted me that starkville mississippi is only an hour and a half from tuscaloosa.
soooo i imagine somedays I will be chilling with noob, 3god, mookie and shai. If anyone wants to tag along on one of those days, just make your way to huntsville.

lajackson07

Smash Apprentice
hmm maybe i'm just forgetting.
unless someone was using my tag. but i dont see why someone would do that.

what was your name in the tournament?
Simply "LAJ". If you don't remember, that's actually good. I never planned to win, I just wanted to know where my skill was at and, apparently, I didn't suck enough to be remembered but wasn't good enough to just own everybody, exactly where I thought I was. Got a little learning and practice to do before actually winning any tournaments any time soon.

Sensai

Smash Master
always.

um. i know that Sensai isn't in Huntsville, but should I bring some Soul Calibur games to Moogle's next time? i did watch you guys play Smash 64 last week, so anything is possible.
You make me sad.

And I guess I COULD host B'ham Smashfests...but it's a pretty small area (my bedroom).

I dunno. I guess it depends really on how many people are coming and if you guys mind my family being there, haha.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
[you're too kind, Sensai]

I added the homebrew channel. It's very simple to install; you guys should look into it. I've never had a console that could be altered like this without a hardware mod.

so... i watched those tournament videos.... ZZzzzzz. Meat Knight really needs to be altered. forget tripping, George, fix MK. His list of tactical advantages clearly outweigh any perceived vulnerabilities. Here are a few key advantages that need to be addressed:

1) MK shouldn't have both super armor AND killing hits in shuttle loop.
2) MK's sword needs to be like 2/3rds it's current length as a trade-off for his superior mobility.
3) I find it ridiculous that anyone can claim Meatknight's weight as a weakness when Dolphin Slash doesn't kill at 137%.

Obviously, there are other ways to tackle this problem. Start-up or wind-down lag could be added to select moves. I thought that scaling down the damage for each of his moves might help (maybe dmg*0.5?), but I feel like that won't do enough to fix his obnoxious playstyle.

This is my honest opinion about the game and certainly not a criticism of it's players.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Uh, MK doesn't have super armor in shuttle-loop. The dolphin slash kills better if it tippers (all of marth's moves can tipper), and it was sending me from one side of the stage to the other. Keep in mind that marth also survived the back hit of my downsmash without any DR while he was at a high %.

He's a strong character, but he isn't invincible. I felt like I was fighting tooth and nail in each video up there. I'm honestly still surprised that I managed to pull out a win.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
that's only because iori is very good. not because metaknight isn't too good
I dont think shuttle loop has super armor, but it has huge range, huge priority, and it comes out pretty much instantly, which is in fact better than super armor.

MK could be easily toned down with a little bit of wind down lag on ANY of his useful moves, like ANY of them. I've gotten over the fact that he out prioritizes everything.

but there should never ever ever be a move that you can see coming from across the screen and not be able to to do anything whatsoever about (glide attack). no killing moves should be unpunishable, or even hard to punish. in metaknight's case, he has no moves that are easy to punish. he's the only character in the game like this.

and you shouldn't be able to spam a smash attack. that defeats the purpose of a smash attack.

but whatever, one day we'll learn how to beat metaknights and all the mk players who are used to being able to land attacks whenever they press a button will have the disadvantage muahah

@ reflex and nes noob...i plan to have a 64 tournament in tuscaloosa in the near future. possibly a 64 and Melee tournament

yaya more vids of me losing in brawl are uploaded

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Shouldn't be able to spam smash attacks? Like marth's f-smash or peach's downsmash? And don't shortchange me, janitor. I didn't win by riding the back of MK like an autistic cowboy.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
@ reflex and nes noob...i plan to have a 64 tournament in tuscaloosa in the near future. possibly a 64 and Melee tournament
Don't you taunt me like that, Kevin.

I would drive for a N64 tournament. <3

DK/Link money matches; get at me~

(1000th post; no one can ever talk down on me now, 'cause I have a four-digit post count~)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Shouldn't be able to spam smash attacks? Like marth's f-smash or peach's downsmash? And don't shortchange me, janitor. I didn't win by riding the back of MK like an autistic cowboy.
when I said "spam" i didn't mean "use a lot", i meant "use whenever you want without much fear of being punished". neither of those moves fall into that category. almost all of metaknight's moves do. you can't even shield grab metaknight usually. shield grabbing is a basic mechanic of smash to counter spamming attacks, and metaknight destroys it.

i'm not short changing you, there were a lot of metaknights at the tournament that weren't in the finals, and obviously meta knight is beatable because there are people who don't find him to be a problem.

but if you think
top priority + no windown lag on most good moves + little start up lag on most good moves + infinite mobility + can't be edgeguarded =/= overpowered character,
i'm really gonna need ya to get your head checked.

just play the game and keep winning money who cares. i play snake, and i would play metaknight if I enjoyed the character, he's just kind of boring to me. and i'm pretty sure I could win with metaknight by continuously up-b, glide atack, up-b, glide attack the whole match if i didn't die of boredom before the match was over.

i really do not want you or anyone to take this personally. this is me vs. metaknight, and my goal is to learn how to beat him. in the meantime keep winning tournaments.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Marth's F-Smash has enough lag on it that's punishable. Peach's D-Smash in Melee doesn't have nearly a comparable amount of priority and range as some of Meta Knight's attacks. It's still pretty broken (40-60% because of making the mistake of holding down during the attack is never fun), but people aren't winning tournaments with it like they are with Meta Knight's almost unpunishable moveset.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
There are good players, there are bad players. There are people who use MK, and people who don't.

I'm too good at brawl to enjoy playing as MK because I feel like any victory may only be because I played MK, or any close match would've been wose if I picked literally any other character. He's no fun.

I enjoy the game more by being good with a lot of characters, and having a top 3. I play high tier characters like Marth, mid tier characters like DK, and low tier characters like Bowser and Yoshi. Sometimes I pick MK when I'm bored.

I mean, nobody is saying playing Meta Knight makes you suck. But being good with MK is like being good at using an Uzi when everyone else is usuing BB guns. How can you be proud of your victory?

Gratz on 1k posts Reflex.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Don't you taunt me like that, Kevin.

I would drive for a N64 tournament. <3

DK/Link money matches; get at me~

(1000th post; no one can ever talk down on me now, 'cause I have a four-digit post count~)
oh its going down. just be warned the turnout's probably not going to be anything great. tuscaloosa has a modest smash scene to say the least :-D bring some of your GA friends

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just some rambling...Iori spams fsmash a lot. He needs to use dancing blade much more. Marth is one of the few characters that can actually compete with MK. And Munkus, you use the best character, but it doesn't take away from the fact that you're good with him. :)

Edit: what happened to joint AL-MS rankings? :/

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
1. That analogy is amazing. Someone should make a picture of you sitting on a saddle on top of Metaknight, dressed as a cowboy, rocking back and forth in the fetal position.

2. I'm assuming you mean Marth's fsmash/Peach's dsmash from Melee? Because those are amazingly simple to punish. Baiting the fsmash = wavedash out of shield = grab = grab combo, and dsmash you just jump above and aerial or outrange. MK's dsmash, on the other hand.... um, how do you get around that, again? Oh look time to hit him during the cooldown lag WHAT DO YOU MEAN THERE'S NO COOL DOWN LAG?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you like Meta Knight, use him. No one can give you crap for winning. Congratulations on that, by the way.

There is no real skill cap that we as humans can reach, and Meta Knight -is- punishable (WHEN HE'S NOT DISAPPEARING FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME). No one said that overpowered tactics are dishonorable in tournament play. Do your thing, and don't let anyone take away from your victory.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
...I just google image searched "autistic cowboy metaknight" (without the quotes) and got pictures of naked lolis transforming into pokemon. WHAT THE ****.

nice1

Smash Lord
yo flex hit me up with a text on my phone when u see this message on my phone. i'm n skool now but i can text

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Just some rambling...Iori spams fsmash a lot. He needs to use dancing blade much more. Marth is one of the few characters that can actually compete with MK. And Munkus, you use the best character, but it doesn't take away from the fact that you're good with him. :)

Edit: what happened to joint AL-MS rankings? :/
f-smash is probably better against metaknight because it has more range. a metaknight that knows how to space is very rarely going to get by a forward b, he can just slice through it. (he can slice through f-smash too, but lesser of two evils here), plus iori knows how to land tippers and tippers kill metaknight at like 60 percent

as for the rankings, I'd like to get started on it, but there are some potential candidates who some folks haven't played enough. Like this guy 205 that no one knows much about that won a tournament, where would we place him? he won a tournament with a lot of good people competing, and most ALabamians haven't played Reflex, but i think we can agree to put him at #1 lul....also most of us haven't played nes noob either, and he's somewhat of a beast himself...but i'm not sure if he still plays brawl.

if anyone wants to get started on it though I'm down.

Top Bottom