• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

nice1

Smash Lord
hey janitor don't be so sure you can win by spaming up+B. What did you say in the b-ham tourney result thread? You said you was goin to use snake and win tournaments and that didn't work. Even if munkus can win by using up+B, ,which i know he does more moves then that lol, it can be stopped. Since no one can beat it at the tournies he go to he uses it very effectively and i don't blame him. You can use the best character in brawl but that doesn't mean you are gonna win the tourney.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Metaknight is punishable, at least the ones I've played against have been very punishable. You just have to know when to attack and when to defend. That was, more or less, the key in the matches against Iori. He made mistakes about when to attack and when to defend, you can tell when drill rush knocks through his f-airs and such.

Most people who ***** about MK seem to ***** about mach-tornado, I haven't heard a ton of *****ing (outside of here) about how broken shuttle-loop is, that might just be my own selective hearing. I know from watching a couple of MK videos that I use shuttle-loop a LOT more liberally than most, it's a key element to my game when I'm trying to play at the highest level, and learning to deal with it is extremely key with beating my MK. Chad dealt with it very well by forcing spacing decisions, Iori learned how to deal with it, but he wasn't consistent in doing so.

And I'm on my back like a turned over turtle laughing like a hyena that someone is saying that they are "too good at brawl to play MK."

EDIT: And yeah, I wouldn't ever recommend bouncing from one main to the next because of perceived 'power' or whether or not they are the flavor of the month. Wasn't snake supposed to be the most broken piece of garbage since the bull got an enema in the china shop? I exaggerate, to be sure, but just because some people are doing well with a character doesn't mean that everyone will do well with a character.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Also: anyone in or around tuscaloosa want to have a smash night on Friday?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I should be at the next Vulcanbox tourney though. What weekend is that going to be again?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Unfortunately, I will be missing the brawl tourney at PAX. Actually, not really. Since it's supposed to last twelve bloody hours. 3 PM to 3 AM! I'm sorry, brosephs, but I'm gonna get drunk and play unreleased games instead.

Oh. Live 1UP yours? Wha?

Will_

Smash Journeyman
...I just google image searched "autistic cowboy metaknight" (without the quotes) and got pictures of naked lolis transforming into pokemon. WHAT THE ****.
I'm going to take off my banner just to quote this. I'm serious. XD

No one said that overpowered tactics are dishonorable in tournament play. Do your thing, and don't let anyone take away from your victory.
Reflex needs to stop winning threads. Average people want to win threads too!

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
He, does anyone in the southeast play Toon Link in tournies? I haven't seen him represented at all, I don't think. Which is odd, since I really enjoy playing the character and think he's really strong (especially as a counter to MK)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
He, does anyone in the southeast play Toon Link in tournies? I haven't seen him represented at all, I don't think. Which is odd, since I really enjoy playing the character and think he's really strong (especially as a counter to MK)
I've actually been considering picking him up! If I get confident enough with him, you might be seeing him on the 6th.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Is there a smashfest going on thursday and if so can I go? :) Pwease
You should come to Starkville on Thursday. I will play Brawl/Melee with you. Mookie will play Brawl/Melee with you. Shai will play Melee with you. I love making promises for other people. Short choppy sentences are awesome. The end.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Hey, Munks. I want you to know that I'm not trying to slight your victory. You did well and should be proud.
Don't worry man, I know you wouldn't do something like that. Also, thanks. I appreciate it duder

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447

Toon Link is one of my top 3, if not my best. It's a tough call between him and Donkey Kong. That probably means nothing since I can't actually get to tournies, but I'm mainly giving the FYI because I do plan to start showing up for tournies eventually. I will at that point be using Toon Link around 50% of my matches.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
hey janitor don't be so sure you can win by spaming up+B. What did you say in the b-ham tourney result thread? You said you was goin to use snake and win tournaments and that didn't work. Even if munkus can win by using up+B, ,which i know he does more moves then that lol, it can be stopped. Since no one can beat it at the tournies he go to he uses it very effectively and i don't blame him. You can use the best character in brawl but that doesn't mean you are gonna win the tourney.

up-b to glide attack to up-b, repeat, is not punishable if the metaknight doesn't mess up and times the glide attack correctly. and even if he does mess up its still incredibly hard to do anything about, and only very few moves in the game will work. there may be a frame or two after the glide attack, but I imagine only another shuttle loop or like a shine comes out fast enough to get a hit off in that time frame. the only thing to do would be a stage counterpick where that combination isn't effective.

if i said something like that i was definitely joking somewhat. there are people in AL who are on another level from me regardless of what character i play, and there are also problem characters for me specifically that give me a harder time than usual no matter what character i play. In general I do pretty well at Brawl tournaments unless I get unlucky, like having to play two lucarios in a row, because i dont have any lucario experience and really dont know much about him.

Iori's mistakes were thinking that Metaknight had windown lag, and thinking that his sword could cut through metaknight's moves. It's kind of hard to let go of the habit of attacking when someone should be open. Metaknight makes you rethink what you know about smash.

Tornadoing is pretty wack and almost always guarantees the MK some damage, but against tornado ***** you just have to pick a character with a good down air.

About switching mains, I'm just the type of guy that plays a whole bunch of characters. In Brawl it's necessary to learn more than one character (unless you play MK), but me personally I just switch it up, and I play Snake because he's fun more than because he's good, but him being good is part of what makes him fun, so it goes hand in hand. I initially strayed away from him in tournaments because he was obviously making me win matches against people that were better than me (George), , but in the end, i say who cares I play for fun and I play to win. Which is what everyone should do, in end. I think i play a pretty good Snake regardless, much like how munkus plays a good metaknight.

hey mississippi dudes if you smash on thursday maybe i'll come.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i feel that i'm pretty good with most characters in the game, including toon link, but i've never tested him in tournaments, maybe i'll bust him out in a pools match one day.

the late smasher co_and_me used to go random during pools. I think I might do that one tournament.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
If you powershield glide attack, you can grab before the shuttleloop can launch. You can also dolphin blow (or whatever it's called) out of shield, as that comes out just as fast as shuttleloop. Again, I haven't been seeing a lot of people using my same playstyle, so it's not like there are a billion MKs out there doing tha loop da loop all day.

For the most part, Marth's sword DOES cut through MK's moves. It's a tough matchup for both characters, I can't play against marth the same way I play against snake. Heck, I can't play against fox the same way I play against most characters, and I have to change it up again for Wario and Lucario. Learning how to beat specifics is part of the game!

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
(also, the main reason I beat chad was because I gimped his recovery twice with an edge-hog and I beat Iori in Norfair almost purely because I edge-hogged him at a low % on his second stock)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
that's the only thing I don't like about Snake. it takes him like ten minutes to get to the edge and try to edgeguard someone, so I usually don't bother.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
After playing around with him a little, I don't think I like Toon Link. I do think I could play Falco, though.

-Chad-

Slackerator
I dunno what you mean by I forced spacing decisions Munkus.

All I did was throw **** and respond to how retardedly aggressive you were playing with MK. Sadly MK can get away with it most of the time >_>

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
All I did was throw **** and respond to how retardedly aggressive you were playing with MK. Sadly MK can get away with it most of the time >_>
Sounds like how I used to fight a decent Fox in Melee. That's what it felt like, anyway. :(

EDIT: I AM NOMINATED FOR AWESOME TIER

EDIT EDIT: I like that term. I might start calling Wario's Bite "the Nom-inator."

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I dunno what you mean by I forced spacing decisions Munkus.

You forced me to come in from my glide attack either too high or attack too soon. I had to choose many times between attacking early and avoiding one of your attacks or attacking late and be vulnerable to retaliation.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
nom nom nom nom

i have Smash 64 and Chrono Trigger running on my Wii now. Homebrew is fun.

Someone should hold a Brawl tournament and call it America's Next Top MetaKnight.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
You cut me deep, smalls. You cut me deep.

You know, I don't think there are any other MK players in Bama really except us Wills.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
since we're talking about metaknight:

I've been getting 3 or less hours of sleep this week cuz I've been playing Final Fantasy X and Megaman 3 and Mariokart 64 and Soul Calibur 2 with a girl i met. That's right, a woman who loves Megaman and Final Fantasy :O She knows more of the Megaman music than you guys!!!

for shame.

Top Bottom