• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Act 3 Clear!!: Sonic Tournament Results & Discussion Thread

Tesh

Smash Hero
I don't really have much offline practice in any matchup though. Oli is just so much tougher for me than, MK, Peach, Lucario,Snake,Falco etc.

Especially with Sonic, I couldn't do worse even if I went ganon in that matchup (and I have).

Tesh

Smash Hero
0 Interest in Falco. My snake is already somewhat developed, Snake can't lose to olimar as badly as Sonic does. I don't really need the advantage I guess. I just need more usable options in the matchup.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yes, the best olimar any of you have ever seen, vs the best snake you have ever seen. Now imagine how bad brood would beat the best sonics. Its still a better way to go.

Life

Smash Hero
last I heard, speed beat brood in a set...

jussayin.
Replays or it didn't happen. (All I get from searching Youtube is SC/WoW stuff and I'm quite interested in seeing what went down)

(Japan still considers Sonic low tier apparently. Might have something to do with it.)

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Yes, i did beat brood in a serious set. It was last hit and stuff and i managed to pull out the win. He plays so weird but i can see how he's so effective. He mentioned me to his friends and even made a tweet about me. O_ o

But i know the Olimar MU. Its really fun to be patient and penetrate that wall that they put up. Its just the matter of not getting caught with those darn smashes at high percent when it comes down to the killing part for you.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Way to go man!

... If I hear anymore disheartening self-berating from you, I'mma smack you upside the head. Wish I was in America so I could be more involved in things like this.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
1. i got ultra camped
2. idk how to play the mu
3. i went all sonic vs noid
4. hes one of many that knows the sonic mu (dammit speed)

and really that was my first tourney in 4 months

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Being ultra camped against Samus shouldn't stop you much, especially if you have the power-shielding part of the match-up covered. Truth be told there's not a whole lot that Samus CAN do asides keep you out by camping. Once you're in though, their best chance of doing anything is predicting landing a grab, screw attack after a DAir or something, along those lines.

Unlike someone like Falco whose ultra camping stops your momentum AND follows up with attacks/grabs at a rapid rate, Samus suffers in that department I find. One thing is for certain you gotta be assertive once Samus is off the stage. Be it gimps, stage spikes, whatever.

To me, it's kind of like Zelda only Samus has more of a chance. They can't do anything to you unless they come to you. Take advantage of the time it takes between each projectile to attack.

17th outta 31 isn't so bad considering how long you were gone for. Props; I'm just passing on my advice from experience.

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
i appreciate it, and i also prolly need to play him more since hes the best only samus in mdva. I dont play alot of good samus's either

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
HOBO 28
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288537
October 9th
Out of 64
5th - Espy (Sonic)

Not bad at all.
My bracket was just odd in Winner's, then turned crazy hard in Loser's bracket.

- First round is vs. Tesh, and he goes Sonic. It's pretty fun for the most part. Lots of running around and uthrows. First game goes to me, and after CPing to PS2, I get KO'd at 40% off of the top because I followed Tesh up after an uair and challenged his dair with another. It was hilarious. Third game was on Smashville, and he took me to last stock I think. Too fun.

- Second round was vs. Gova, a new Kirby main on the scene. Legit Kirby, without a doubt, but I felt like he wasn't too well versed in the Sonic match up, so the pressure he was putting on me didn't make me feel like I was suffocating. Either way, first game goes to me, and in a pseudo-repeat of vs. Tesh, I get greedy and try a bair KO on Jungle Japes on his Kirby, who was at 140%+, while I was at 0% on my last stock. I get Final Cuttered into the water and die. Third game is mine.

- Third round I was supposed to play Xyro, but he forfeit. :(

- Fourth round I play Razer. I get ***** pretty hard. Didn't feel like I was on my A-Game at that point in the tournament, and after the first stock I pretty much just auto-piloted until the end of the set. Too reckless in my approaches, and I failed to punish all of his mistakes. No biggy though. I'll just **** him next time.

I was pretty **** tired after that set, and it didn't help that I only got 3-4 hours of sleep the night before, so after trying to take a nap (no success :( ), I get called up for LT Singles. I'm going 100% Ganondorf, Yoshi mains be ****ed, and I win my first two sets pretty awesomely, so that pumps me right the hell back up.

- First set in losers was against CY. I was expecting Wario, but he tossed out Meta Knight (I should've figured, since he beat D. Disciple with Meta Knight). He grabbed an early one stock lead in the first game on SV, and I don't get him to his last stock until I'm at around 120%+ on mine. Somehow, I catch up and win the game. Second game, I get the lead early, and keep it most of the way through. It was very tough.

- Next round, I had to take on Jerm, who was fresh from taking mikeHaze to the final set, last hit in Winner's bracket. Crazy, crazy fight. First game goes to me by last hit, and second game goes more or less in the same direction.

- Next round, I gotta deal with Trela. In a nutshell, I lost again. However, despite SD'ing (again) on my own counterpick, I did exponentially better vs. Trela at this tournament than I have altogether, in my opinion. It's only a matter of time, now. >:]
It was a great experience. My only regrets were playing like **** against Razer, and not getting a chance to play mikeHaze in tournament.

And I also only SD'd once in this tournament. That made me super happy. As for teams, I net 5th-ish with Infinity's Meta Knight, and got 7th in LT with Ganondorf. Took Bored's Ike to game three, where my ******* picked Rainbow Cruise and got chaingrabbed all day. It was funny as hell. Lost to Yosh's Yoshi in Loser's Bracket. Took him to last stock both times, so that was awesome (It's like 95-5. My god).

So. Yup. Wall 'o' text. :)

Oh, and videos of me vs. Trela, Jerm, and maybe Razer should all be up. I know the Trela/Jerm ones are on Youtube already, but I don't know if or when anything else will pop up. So yeah.

Browny

Smash Hater
I approve of the huge amount of spindash used in those videos.

About time people realised that spamming it wasnt a noob 08 tactic, but actually quite decent rofl.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Except for the whole "I'm not spamming it" shindig, and it's still ****ing awful.
I was using sideB to force Lucario to roll. It worked plenty of times, but I failed to react all of the time.

And spindashing an itemless airborne TL is very effective, so yeah.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Heh, the Ganondorf/Yoshi MU is just... it's SOOO bad for Ganondorf =P I honestly don't think I've ever fought a Ganondorf before, and I felt like I was just jumping around doing random stuff, heh. Hope you had fun in LTs =)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yeeeeah espy...why all the deaths over the top with gettin greedy?

You should have had Trela ffffffffffffff, also I need to learn how to play TL like that. Do you just rush him? And 1 SD yayy
I really wanted the KOs. I calmed down after that, save for the SD vs. Trela on RC. It was funny.

I'll get Trela eventually. It's only a matter of time, really. As for Toon Link, you cannot rush him down blindly. The openings to approach and start up your pressure game is his bomb pluck animation. The time it takes him to pop out a bomb is enough time to run across Smashville in it's entirety.

Just more or less stay below them when they are airborne, and camp their landing (since they have to land eventually). Punish accordingly, but beware of the zair and arrows. SDR clanks with boomerange and arrows, and randomly loses and beats bombs depending on their location when you collide.

Be patient, dodge all his junk, and just punish him here and there until he's gone.

Honestly though, I think Jerm was off his game. He was dairing randomly and way too often. lol
Jerm had just taken haze to last hit, last stock, last game. I'd say he was pretty **** hot. Either way, I only managed to hit him out of his dair twice, and in one of those instances, I got KO'd because of it. His problem was mainly just trying to land the KO move.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Maybe Jerm was worn out from such an epic battle? :o

Oh, I don't think I said it, did I? Sorry; congrats on your placing! Glad you're happy with how you did. I know I am.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Phoenix 4
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=289197
October 17th, 2010
Out of 35
9th - Kuraudo (Sonic)

One victory off from the cyan recording of tournament placings. Drats. But I have no regrets! I lost to SuPeRbOoM in the winner bracket (kind of expected until I up my game up, but you know), but I pulled out a major upset against one of BC's best players in an intense MK vs. Sonic set.

I played against Firefly frequently back in Alberta, and he and I just knew each other so well. Yoshi vs. Sonic could have gone either way. If I had made it past him, I could have taken on Captain L and then pushed for 5th place at the least. No SD'ing or anything and I did my best! As for Clouderz, we had an incomplete money match but I took the last match we had before he left. It could have gone either way if we finished it off, whether he used MK or Mario. I'm gonna keep this momentum going though. No sense in stopping here!

I'm proud of myself and I'm back up to speed!

Against scared people, grab release to charging FSmash for spotdodgers is priceless. LOL

Oh yeah, stfu and get the hell at me, KID. Don't underestimate me.

Top Bottom