• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Act 3 Clear!!: Sonic Tournament Results & Discussion Thread

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
GP Affairs Pt. 1: SCHWING! LoZ's Secret Word
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=289759
October 23rd
Out of 17
9th - Rogueblades :sonic:
13th - Excel :sonic:/:metaknight:

I ****** around in pools because it wasn't elimination and I kinda didn't care too much. I quit playing Sonic on wifi as well. That did nothing but mess my Sonic all the way up. So, I'm sticking to offline for Sonic. I don't really care about MK. That got started on wifi and it'll continue to get better through that.

Rogueblades, on the other hand actually played and got a good seed.
He's still free though.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I know right?

At least backup someone sensible as a sonic backup, like Marth (I backup Marth, it works really well for Olimar/Lucario/etc). But Mk..? I have no sympathy for bandwagon MKs who lose :laugh:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
First Monmon's stupid ***, and now Meta Knight?
You're at the wrong boards, Excel.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
He wants to win guys...give him some room. Its not a bad thing that he wants to win. :/

I mean that's part of it. But it's really more of an accidental MK than an intentional one. I just wanted to annoy AiB kids and in the process I ended up with a secondary that I could use for bothersome MUs like :falco:. Like if I had every intention of playing MK to win, I'd just main him. Without a second thought.

Joemama8

Smash Journeyman
lol @ this conversation. GRRRRRRR MK BAD. EVERBODY HATE ON MK. Its not like he's the best character or anything.

Yo excel, dont come in here talkin like you didn't give a ****. I saw you sweating bullets during your set with sov lol.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
seems like me and X are having transportation problems for mlg :(

its gonna be a close one gettin down there
anyone up for housing utah?? or helping??

Tesh

Smash Hero
WHAT!!?
X vs Espy vs Speed MUST happen. Someone start a fund raiser. QUICK!!

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
dittos r fun.....but quadrets? thats a no for me. last time i did that, i had a headache X_X

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
yea awal its true, they're static partners, and he knows sonic

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
What are you talking about Quest?
Jerm and I have played several times. I don't know how many times he's beaten me in sets, but I've beaten him three times.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
O gud.. guess I shudnt feel bad about losing 2 him

although I do feel like I cudda mixed it up a lil more....

If only I didn't down b off da stage Eh ya win sum ya lose sum

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Came back from a local town tournament. Got 2nd. Lost to Trela in Winner's. We split when I got to Grand Finals.

Yeah, I'm gonna go Wolf from now on against Trela. I never felt like I was struggling with trying to hit him, and it went down to last hit, last stock. Still lost, but it felt a lot closer.

So yeah. There were plenty of videos of my Sonic in action. They also had a mid tier teams event, so there was that too, and there were plenty of those recorded.

Tesh

Smash Hero
SPLITTING IS KILLING THE BRAWL COMMUNITY!

Also you don't need wolf to beat lucario, just get the lead and time him out. I mean..if ur gonna switch to deal with lucario....why would you pick a useless character like wolf. You should use metaknight.

Espy's on that plastic tray microwavable steak status.

X getting that spicy in your face steak status.

Speed for best "full" Sonic? Slow cooked to perfection, with just enough attitude to keep you from falling asleep before its over.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
SPLITTING IS KILLING THE BRAWL COMMUNITY!

Also you don't need wolf to beat lucario, just get the lead and time him out. I mean..if ur gonna switch to deal with lucario....why would you pick a useless character like wolf. You should use metaknight.

Espy's on that plastic tray microwavable steak status.

X getting that spicy in your face steak status.

Speed for best "full" Sonic? Slow cooked to perfection, with just enough attitude to keep you from falling asleep before its over.
The. Best. Post. Ever. <3

Also, I tried to time out Junebug...uh...it went well until i lost the lead at like 30 seconds left. Game 3 too...:(

Espy, watching your vids now. So many new ideas les go. Also, you spliiiit? lol
I dont know about using another character for lucario, but maybe you should try some more things before making this decision? Try a different style? idk its ultimately your choice but I think you can beat trela if you're always gettin that close. Congrats on 2nd.

infomon

Smash Scientist
LoL, ^^ this 100% :bee:

Edit: grr, SM5 ninja'd in front of my post, but at the time I thought "meh" cuz he'd just posted "The. Best. Post. Ever.", but then he added a bunch of stuff so that my post no longer makes sense. daaah!

:054:

Trent

Smash Champion
I don't see any problem with Espy picking up Wolf for Lucario. He's going from a mid tier character to a mid tier character. I don't see what the issue is.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'll think about it, more or less.
It's really just against Trela.

And trying to camp him while having the lead is not really a great idea either. Lucario has plenty of ways to shut down all of Sonic's options when he's under pressure. I've tried it before. It just doesn't work.

I mean, have fun trying to time out a Lucario when:

1: You gotta time him out when he's above 100% (which WILL happen, since he'll be trying to hit you, and you can't run forever against a character like him).
2: Aura beats iSDR
3: He lives longer
4: He kills faster
5: He outranges you
6: His attacks are generally faster
7: His roll is ridiculous

It's just incredibly difficult to do so.
With Wolf, pretty much ALL 7 of those issues become moot. Wolf lives just as long, kills Lucario as early as 120%, and his bair SHUTS. HIM. DOWN.

=====

Still, I'll give Sonic another go or two, but just from what I've experienced, nothing has worked. I've camped, I've aggro'd, I've passive aggressive'd. That aura just ruins it.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
Instead of going Wolf though you should go Bill Murray. He's got a positive grade against Lucario (60-40) and I doubt Trela knows the matchup.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I don't see any problem with Espy picking up Wolf for Lucario. He's going from a mid tier character to a mid tier character. I don't see what the issue is.
The issue is (I think) Lucario doesn't beat Sonic, and in that regard it's just like any other matchup you have to work with if you want to (and can) win.

Though don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking Espy as a player or as a person, and I could understand if he was counterpicking one character to have an easier time...

But at the same time, if it doesn't need to be done, why do it? Or why not @#$% da BS and go MK?

Espy, I'm not going to let you get away with this. After saturday and my days are free due to SAT exam studying sort of, I'm going to gather a helluva lot of frame-data... and yes, I'll get some of the variables no thanks to Aura. It'll take me a while, but I won't stand to let our best players go out like this! This goes for everybody else too, but it's even worse because if you can't do it, how will people like me take it? ;~;

If I can gather hard-evidence that there's a window of time to attack, and there's no excuse for losing other than admitting you're not a better player, will you do it...? Please? How about if I paid you to win against Trela's Lucario? All I'd need is your mailing address, and video evidence that it's a tourney match, or with something along the line, and we could negotiate something.

...*Ahem.*

/bribing.

I can feel it, I just haven't gathered concrete data to prove this matchup is doable.

Let me ask everybody this. Haven't you noticed that whenever a Lucario Dairs your shield that you have just enough time to Fair/Uair OoS?

That's the most obvious example I think, and I know there are more, but nobody Or perhaps not a handful of people have figured out where the lag is.

It may not even just be aerials OoS, wouldn't it be great if Sonic could UTilt Dair OoS? That move racks up a decent amount of damage, and at later percents kills, making Lucario Dairing Sonic's shield a risk... It may even actually be a frame-disadvantage for him (I just haven't found out if it is/ how much of one). I don't think I need to mention it either, but if UTilt can kill, that would already help alleviate one major problem in this matchup.

... I already know for sure that Lucario's DTilt is not safe on block (for him). I had a thread that recorded it, now's a good time and excuse to update it...

... But enough babbling to myself.

Biggest priorities for me should be UTilt (since I said I'd do it), Fair, Nair, Bair, FTilt, FSmash, Aura Sphere (this will be a joy...), Jabs 1, 2, and 3... and just for the hell of it, Force Palm Flame.

... 11 moves, varying amounts of power due to aura... I have to look for 0, 50, 100, 150, and 200%, with 5 different accounts of stocks... If my math is pinpoint that's 11 x 5 x 5 which is...

...TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY-FIVE DIFFERENT POSSIBILITIES?!

Espy~! I'll hold this on to you! No good, no good at all~!!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You can fair, uair, AND utilt Lucario out of his dair.
I've done all of those to Trela at one point or another.

You know what the REAL problem is, Kinzer?
Lucario. Beats. Sonic.

You'd have to be BLIND to not see it. Break it down with me:

- Sonic can't kill. This is an absolute fact.
- Lucario not only survives decently well, but he gets stronger with the more damage that is added to him.

How you can honestly ignore this, and so bluntly claim that "Lucario doesn't beat Sonic", tells me that either you have not experienced this match up at all, or that you have not experienced this match up with an experienced, high leveled Lucario main.

Lucarios like Trela, Lee, June, and Zucco KNOW how to DI. They KNOW how to survive, and they WILL abuse their aura to the highest possible degree. Pair that up with a character like Sonic, who outright FAILS to KO Lucario below 140% (unless a gimp is made), and you have a mountain to climb that impresses the likes of Kilimanjaro.

This match up abuses the cons of OUR character and the pros of THEIRS. It's a clear disadvantage to Sonic.
Combine that with a solid moveset, the simple fact that aura beats our one tried and true trump cards (iSDR), and the fact that Lucario never has to approach if he's winning (thanks to a decent projectile that makes him ridiculously mobile while keeping him defensively safe at a distance), and you can easily see how Sonic LOSES this match up.

Having said all of that, it's not impossible to win. Yes, you can win against a Lucario. However, how many of our top Sonics have beaten a top Lucario? Has Speed ever beaten June or Zucco? Have I ever managed to take down Lee or Trela? Has X ever even PLAYED a competent Lucario in a set?

There's a **** good reason why we struggle against this character.

His aerials have more coverage and safety over a period of time than ours, his jab rivals our faster moves on the ground, his fair shuts down every approach not named bair, his roll makes punishment calls incredibly difficult to punish, and his bad recovery is nulled by proper DI and his aura boost.

If anything, unless you are in a gimping position, edge guarding Lucario is a huge trade-off. You're sacrificing survivability for level control.

I could go on for quite some time as to why Lucario beats Sonic, but despite what I honestly think about the match up, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Just keep in mind that data doesn't prove anything beyond the theoretical level.

Top Bottom