• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A solemn moment for DBR and the Melee Community

Dojo

Smash Champion
Geeezzzzzz. So much pessimism.

Here is what happened: someone tried to steal money. The people who got stolen from took action, confronted, found out the truth, and got the money back. THAT IS A HUGE ++ POSITIVE FOR THE COMMUNITY.

YOU COULDN'T ASK FOR 1) A BETTER RESPONSE and 2) A BETTER OUTCOME.

Unless most people are still not aware: scumbags in this community (Brawl or Melee) are a dime a dozen. Don't trust anyone.

When it comes to handling money though, at any tournament, the money should always be the SOLE responsibility of a single person so that that person can be held financially responsible for it. When more than one person handles money, then it becomes incredibly hard to keep track of who is responsible for it/who last had it. When only a single person has it, and its his ONLY job, then if it goes missing, ONLY he is to blame. I've had this happen and just fronted the small amount of the money for a local myself, and my conclusion was simple: never ever trust anyone than myself to hold money, and let people know only I was handling the money.
Honestly I don't think that's valid considering there friendship went on past Smash and for almost a decade. When you're best friends with somebody for that long, you almost know the person inside and out, and I'm sure they trusted him and never would of believed something like that would happen.

Also, wasn't Plank the sole person in charge of the money for Pound? Sure, we can blame him and know it's his fault. Didn't solve anything. At least DBR recovered the money.

Regardless of how terrible this situation is, DBR handled it amazingly considering the circumstances. I've always looked up to you guys as role models in this community. Amazing job.

The GERM

Smash Ace
For those of you who are comparing this to what happened at Pound 5, these 2 events are nowhere near in the same arena. The 6k that was stolen was only the generous donation from Saber Gaming which was 6k in cash, not the entry fee money. Worst case scenario, we would have had to give them back they're 6k from any profit we made in concessions, t-shirts, spectator fees, and out of pocket, which we were more than willing to do. The players who placed in the tournament would still have gotten all the money they deserved, the bonus money would just have come from us.

And just to make things clear, one person was responsible for this money and had the only key to the safe in our room. Re-read the 1st post please.

Van.

Smash Ace
I'm not going to lie, after reading the this happened to dbr, I feel like a worthless piece of **** for *****ing about the stream, lmao

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
^i dont think you understand why a lot of people are upset

@alpha zealot

Reioumu

Smash Lord
You guys handled this beautifully. It's very said to see an iconic figure such as Zelgadis do this, but man this sucks. I'm glad you guys came to light with this and told everyone. This should be a huge eye opener for people being too trustful with their money. I hope the best for DBR, and as I said, good job dealing with it.

Life

Smash Hero
re: plank. He didn't totally vanish. He posted in the /hope3 thread saying he might show (he didn't) and there was some controversy over whether he'd be paying anyone back.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wow. Gotta say disappointing to hear that, but it's a LOT more encouraging that you guys were (from what I can tell anyway) rather cool and calm about it, and it clearly paid off with you guys managing to get the cash back. You guys did the right thing, and pulled of an amazing tournament. You guys should be feeling super proud of yourselves, no matter what else you might be feeling at the moment. Good job DBR.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Oh and yeah, DBR handled this well. Props for that. Zelgadis inspired me to use fox with Shined Blind...what a shame.

Zelgadis was a hero to me. If I never saw Shined Blind, I don't know if I'd be playing this game anything like I am now. But now...

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Dang, just imagine how VTS felt that his 6,000 donation had been stolen. Did he know about it upon finding this out?

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
You guys deserve some real respect for how you handled this situation, especially you Germ. I really hope this situation doesn't ever repeat itself, for your friendship, DBR and the community.

tc1

Smash Lord
damn my dude trebor...
never would've guessed well
im not stranger to betrayal it just sucks when its so close to home.

my condolences to the greatest crew melee has ever known.

The King

Smash Ace
Aside from a few close friends, we didn't inform anyone of the happenings of Sunday, including VTS. We agreed that not only would it accomplish very little on that day aside from creating needless drama in a situation that had been resolved by us, but it would unfairly detract from the grand finale Genesis-II's atmosphere.

For all of you that noticed us enjoying the tournament even after we had just resolved the situation, it was as genuine as it gets lol. We weren't wearing any kind of ****-eating grin, so to speak; we were relishing in the fruits of our labor, savoring the end of our tournament. =)

And about the money, yes we definitely agree it was a terrible mistake that the money was left unattended in our hotel room. While it is no excuse, the money was not intentionally trusted with anybody else among us, and Zelgadis was not expected to be entering our room at all during the day.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I'm rather speechless after hearing this sad news. The $6000 is the least you guys should've gotten for all of that drama. Also, I understand this is a bit soon and it pains me to say this to a player I used to look up to so much, but shouldn't Zelgadis be put on this list?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Zelgadis is but one of the reasons I play Melee. I'm shocked.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
I'm rather speechless after hearing this sad news. The $6000 is the least you guys should've gotten for all of that drama. Also, I understand this is a bit soon and it pains me to say this to a player I used to look up to so much, but shouldn't Zelgadis be put on this list?
If it's changed to TO/Player Blacklist instead of TO Blacklist, then yes, he should be.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
"The only way someone will be put on this list is if they do not pay the winners of their tournaments what they promised"

Sadly, he doesn't fall under this category. Either way, there should be a blacklist of people in general other then just tournament organizers, and people like Zelgadis deserve to be on it.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master

damn

I don't know if there is much more to say. Really sad to see something like this happen, especially out of someone who has been so influential to the community over the years. I'm sure it was hard for all of you. :/

I can't believe something this sinister and disgusting could happen in the smash community (and continue to happen). I am glad that this information has come to light as it allows the rest of the community a better understanding of the caliber and nature of members of the community and how they may behave and act, its disgusting and it needs to not be tolerated.

I mean seriously, Bob Money has a girlfriend and we just now find out about it? The ****?
Ok this got me lol. Well played.

The Cape

Smash Master

damn

I don't know if there is much more to say. Really sad to see something like this happen, especially out of someone who has been so influential to the community over the years. I'm sure it was hard for all of you. :/

Ok this got me lol. Well played.
Someone has to loosen the tension in the room. Anyone that knows me though knows that if someone pulled this **** on me, they would beg for the cops to show up with a felony charge.

I'd go Batman on their *****

Djent

Smash Champion
I actually agree with AZ. Of course, I might feel a lot differently were I more emotionally invested in DBR's past work. Please take that into consideration before you get offended at what I'm about to say:

According to others, Melee and Brawl have failed to pay out numerous times in the past (S.N.E.S., Winterfest, and Pound V - am I missing any? :glare:). Therefore, it should come as no surprise that such an event could happen again. Now, I'm going to go into total nerd mode and quote Firefly:

Shan Yu said:
Live with a man 40 years. Share his house, his meals. Speak on every subject. Then tie him up, and hold him over the volcano's edge. And on that day, you will finally meet the man.
Now Shan Yu may be a work of fiction, but I actually think this quote actually does apply to real life. It conveys the idea that even good people can do horrible things out of desperation, when the right circumstances present themselves. Once you accept this, it becomes a lot easier to understand how betrayal works.

I don't know Zelgadis, or anyone else in DBR for that matter, but I do know a fair bit about Psychology. And if there's anything that the discipline of Psychology has made painfully clear, it's that ordinary people are capable of horrible things. That could go for you, me, your best friend, or anyone - because no one can escape human nature. Shan Yu is right in that the capacity to do horrible things can lie dormant - even in otherwise admirable people.

When you look at the situation this way, Zelgadis' behavior seems less shocking. I'm sure the people who knew him well would never have suspected such a horrible thing from him. Yet according to The King, Trebor had put himself into a bad situation and was heading down a destructive path. Maybe these events were the equivalent of Shan Yu's metaphorical volcano - the catalyst to unleash an action that the man himself might not have expected 5 years earlier.

So now that I've painted a rather bleak picture of humanity, I feel responsible to address the good of the situation that AlphaZealot was referring to. While I'm sure many of you are ready to take a negative view (no thanks to me :awesome:), I should probably point out that everyone else involved survived the test of the volcano, so to speak. While others may have handled such a betrayal poorly, DBR ensured not only that the prises paid out, but that the community was fully aware of what almost happened.

You see, that's why DBR still gives me hope for the Smash community. The majority of them passed the test of character, proving to the rest of us what good leadership entails. We could have easily had another S.N.E.S. or Winterfest in the hands of less competent TO's, but we didn't - and that is why I consider today a victory for the community.

I hope that this event can serve as an example for future TO's who end up in similar situations - because it will happen. Human nature does not change, so it will only be a matter of time until someone attempts something like this again. Yet this need not be a cause for concern if we know how to deal with it.

Before today, situations like this were typically handled poorly. S.N.E.S., Winterfest, and Pound V were never properly resolved. DBR has shown us that it need not be the case. And for that reason, I believe Genesis 2 is a victory for moral character in the Smash community. We've had numerous bad examples in the past, so Zelgadis is nothing new. What is new is a good one, so I thank DBR for having the courage and fortitude to provide it.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
world class *******.

shined blind was amazing, im a little pissed myself that this happened and I don't even play melee.

props to dbr minus zelgadis for handling it so smoothly.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Many people are probably wondering:
1. Has there been any comments from Zelgadis?

2. What are SilentSpectre's comments on all of this as a member of DBR?

red stone

Smash Ace
There's not that many melee players left. We are a dying breed. To have one of our few and trusted do this breaks me up hard. Really guys...we play this game because it's fun. I can't believe money is becoming such an issue.

If I were rich, I would put so much money in prize pools it wouldn't even be funny. Of course, I would have a personal body guard watch over it.

JudgmentGSM

Smash Cadet
Wow....just wow.

K so i may get discredited just because of what I'm gonna say next...but...

I remember a time where melee was...just melee. FFA, items, every stage, and yeah it was fun. Used to play with a friend of mine every day...until one day he discovered Shined Blind.

Watching that vid, we both wanted something like that. We wanted to be well-known, we wanted to have a crew of pro people, we wanted to be Hawaii's DBR, or something close to it. We quickly join with more people who had the same love for melee as us, and every day we would play and practice.

Years pass, Brawl comes out and we have this new mindset because we discovered "Shined Blind" a lil late, that we would do everything we could to take Brawl as serious as we were going to in Melee.

So...all this to say...if it weren't for Zelgadis, I wouldn't have found a group of people who were so ambitious to be great at this game and not only that, a group of friends I know I can trust even outside of this game.

My heart sincerely goes out to everyone from DBR, I know it prolly hurts a lot to be betrayed like that, I know I'm prolly gonna get troll'd for mentioning I'm from a brawl crew, but I want you guys to know I'm sincerely thankful for everything you were before when I was younger, everything you are now in the midst of this crisis, and everything you'll be in the future. I knew nothing about the friendship of DBR till today, and it made me very grateful to be a part of something I saw only as "a gamer crew" at first.

Keep on rockin' and hope to see you at Genesis 3 (Brawl because I suck at melee now lol)

-Advent.

Walt

Smash Ace
Many people are probably wondering:
1. Has there been any comments from Zelgadis?

2. What are SilentSpectre's comments on all of this as a member of DBR?
Trebor called me yesterday to say he was really sorry and doesn't know why he did it. I was already not going to offer any sympathy but after reading how he lied to King and German I really cannot abide any sympathy.

Tekk

Smash Lord
I genuingly feel sorry for you guys, and I can't imagine how hard it was for you to go through such a shock and manage to keep on hosting G2 after that.
Nobody could have seen it coming, and this is one of those times in life, when you realise that trusting people is always hazardous.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
To everyone else:
This doesn't reflect on the rest of DBR at all, or at least shouldn't. Everyone busted their ***** off helping run the tourney, shuttling people to the hotel, and doing everything that needed to be done to have an amazing tourney. Germ even reimbursed the smasher who got robbed.
GERM FTW. That was the saddest thing I have heard. Thank you everyone who shuttled our smelly *****!

Slhoka

Smash Lord
It's pretty sad to see such a thing happen, especially with someone who had such an impact on the competitive scene.

However, the good thing is that you handled this case just like your tournament, that is, as it should have been. Good stuff DBR, you really are one of the best crew in the world!

Pr0jecT

Smash Ace
I remember watching DBR's full 45 minute combo video every day back when it came out for a month straight and saying "I'm gonna be this good one day."

Sad to see things like this have to happen. Best of luck to you guys.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
. I was already not going to offer any sympathy but after reading how he lied to King and German I really cannot abide any sympathy.
I'm was going to do a joke but I'm not in the mood for it.

Sage Osaka

Smash Ace
wow, no wonder germ and king looked so bleak near the end of the day on sunday, good ****ing **** for holding it together and delivering epicness that was so very much expected from you guys.

(b^_^)b

Top Bottom