• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new home skin for Smashboards

chic

Smash Ace
Good/proper design is timeless.

Sorry, i'm a functionalist/modernist so i'm very hard to please :p. My advice would be to stay away from the photoshop filters/tutorials and pick up a design book. Good luck with the website. I'm glad you're at least trying.

Radium88

Smash Lord
A grid is used to help with hierarchy, flow, organization and many other things. It is also aesthetically pleasing. Look up the golden rectangle :)

Comparing fine art to graphic design is ********. They are not the same thing. They have different purposes.
I will look up the golden rectangle once I am not on a phone.

I am neither comparing MMM to Vincent van Gogh nor the purposes of each product is the same. It was the fact that the design for the website goes against most of the website designs out there, that people seem to think it is the wrong design merely bec it does not follow what is out there today.

When someone compares you to being quiet as a mouse, do you respond with "But I am not a mouse"?

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
What part of the design of Vibrant does not follow function?

I can "function" just as well as I did before on Revo using Vibrant. Why can't you? I think it's just a matter of opinion.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You really can't count the featured box as part of the banner. Plenty of sites have a news box or featured content box, that's very "standard". Vertical scrolling isn't really an issue since you have to do that on every site anyway. There seems to be this idea that there is oh-so-much stuff that causes vertical scrolling... you're talking maybe like ONE extra scroll here...

I can't do anything to make people who want a minimalistic layout happy, that would require an entirely different skin. If you like minimalism, that's perfectly fine. I like it just fine myself depending on what it's used for, but that's not what this skin is about.
I didn't count the featured box as part of the banner. I also did not count it as part of the content. Note that, at 600 pixels of scrolling, the 1024x768 resolution you seem to want to conform to has next to no actual visible forum content without scrolling. And, yes, when not logged in, Revolution spends an extra 250 pixels telling you to register or log in. Okay.

You do make a great point though - options are good. I'm glad whoever was fixing Revolution did so.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
There's next to no forum content visible no matter what-- we have so many boards, even on Revo all you see is the announcements and about half of the Brawl board. You have to scroll an awful lot to view just about anything on any site, but especially on one like this with so many boards to look through.

Websites / the internet were designed with vertical scrolling in mind, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, saying a design is bad because it requires scrolling is ridiculous. Yes, a lower resolution user would primarily see the major tournaments / live streams, but that's exactly what we want to be focused on, so it's doing its job.

Why is there so much drama about a new skin? Jesus if you don't like it choose another one. Seems quite simple to me.
Yeah, I don't get it either ~_~

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not sure what drama you're perceiving here - if you want feedback, you have to expect both positive and negative. Considering this skin is a major change from the previous norm, you should expect... a lot of feedback.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
But some of it's not even negative feedback it's just obnoxious complaining and nitpicking. It's not like this is the only skin on the site, you can change it easily in two clicks.

MetalMusicMan

But some of it's not even negative feedback it's just obnoxious complaining and nitpicking. It's not like this is the only skin on the site, you can change it easily in two clicks.
Bingo. I have been more than accommodating to all of the real feedback.

Certain things are just going to rub people the wrong way though, and that's not something that I can "fix" with the skin. Preferences aren't always going to align.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, I have tons of options. :)
As far as I know, the choices everyone else had were:
Classic Blue - lol. Pretty much the complete opposite end of the spectrum compared to Vibrant.
Smash Blue - Seems a lot of people ended up here because...
Revolution - ...This didn't make its reappearance until mid-week.
Vibrant - I'm assuming people were switching off of this one if they didn't like it.
Generations

People were really annoyed when Vibrant looked as though it completely replaced Revolution. I think comments around here have been generally more civil after its return.

Bingo. I have been more than accommodating to all of the real feedback.

Certain things are just going to rub people the wrong way though, and that's not something that I can "fix" with the skin. Preferences aren't always going to align.
And you've been less than cordial to "preferences not aligning." Maybe it's just me being me, but you get really heated whenever people ask you to do things that are not according to your vision of how things SHOULD be. I know OS has a history (which I'm not sure if you've ever noticed or not before now) of going really hard on putting himself in a rather negative light whenever he wants to bring attention to something, and he does so intentionally; but your responses are downright acidic, and I don't think you're doing that just to be more "visible."

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
When the majority of smashboards has the exact same criticisms about the skin ... i think it's safe to say preferences are aligned.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
They may be Aligned Right, but can you really say that they're Justified? D:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
When the majority of smashboards has the exact same criticisms about the skin ... i think it's safe to say preferences are aligned.
10-20 people are the majority of smashboards?

Here we go again with the exaggerated drama :/.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Well, I have tons of options. :)
As far as I know, the choices everyone else had were:
Classic Blue - lol. Pretty much the complete opposite end of the spectrum compared to Vibrant.
Smash Blue - Seems a lot of people ended up here because...
Revolution - ...This didn't make its reappearance until mid-week.
Vibrant - I'm assuming people were switching off of this one if they didn't like it.
Generations

People were really annoyed when Vibrant looked as though it completely replaced Revolution. I think comments around here have been generally more civil after its return.
Well I suppose I agree with that. Removing Revo wasn't necessarily the best choice but it seems like it was changed for the better before being put back if I'm not mistaken.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
10-20 people are the majority of smashboards?

Here we go again with the exaggerated drama :/.

If you're going to critique me over my poor wording choice, than you're no better than the ones you're criticizing.

What I meant was, out of all of the people who posted complaints about the skin, the majority of them brought up the same problems.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Anyway, can you please remove the bar with "MAJOR TOURNAMENTS," "SITE ANNOUNCEMENTS," and such from everything but the main page? It's rather annoying; it's like that "register here today" thing from Rev but you can't make it go away. :urg:
Is there any way that I can get a responce to this?

Heck, an option to just turn it off altogether would work marvelously.

MetalMusicMan

It's not going away from the Index / landing pages, it's meant to put a focus on that content, just like the Backroom sidebar.

There has however been talk of the possibility of removing it or collapsing it on forum pages (the pages that the sidebar isn't on), though no decision has been made.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Thanks for the response.

Oh, I didn't mean remove it from the main page. In fact, if you look at what I posted, I directly asked if it could be removed from everything BUT the main page. Lol.

But yeah, collapsing or removing it on forum pages/reply would be just swell.

On another note, I just noticed that a lot of icons are really similar, and the check for a multiquoted post, at a glance, is exactly the same as the regular button. Have you considered doing a color change for it?

MetalMusicMan

Oh lol for some reason I read that as "remove it from the main page", my mistake :p I've talked about that with JV and Bionic a bit, I'll be sure to mention something if there is any update on it.

I actually had the multiquote button change color when clicked initially, but it changing color ended up not going as well with the current post buttons. That could definitely change in the future though, I'm still not 100% on their color, so I'll probably look into them again soon.

There are a few other changes that I'll make before I do that, but Bionic and I have been taking a little breather this week :p

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I just have to get the "remember I'm collapsed/expanded" thing going and it should be good to go.

edit: how about that?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I actually had the multiquote button change color when clicked initially, but it changing color ended up not going as well with the current post buttons. That could definitely change in the future though, I'm still not 100% on their color, so I'll probably look into them again soon.
Try lowering their opacity, that could make for a nice toggle w/o clashing w/ color

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Small update:

Stickies are now differentiated with a different, darker background color (like announcements).
Yayy, although I can't tell yet, probably need to clear cache. I'll go over some stuff with you when I get to your house today, I have a few ideas.

Edit: Yep, clearing the cache worked. Looks amazing, good job :).

shanus

Smash Hero
the collapse top bar only works in chrome after you click it and then refresh the site. Thanks though guys, its a nice touch

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Are you people serious? Why are you nitpicking so much? She wasn't even comparing graphic design to a painter, her point was not following norms isn't necessarily bad.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Are you people serious? Why are you nitpicking so much? She wasn't even comparing graphic design to a painter, her point was not following norms isn't necessarily bad.
You're too obvious when defending your girlfriend. Makes you look like a patsy. You need to work on your delivery. =P

shanus

Smash Hero
Hi guys, one small new suggestion:

Can we get rid of the part of the post that has the iphone icon for browsing now with phone, and instead replace their "User Online now" with a phone icon instead? It's a bunch of wasted space on a post that has no reason to be inside the actual post.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You're too obvious when defending your girlfriend. Makes you look like a patsy. You need to work on your delivery. =P
HAaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

He gave me an infraction on this for trolling. XD

Too bad for him, I was serious.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Hi guys, one small new suggestion:

Can we get rid of the part of the post that has the iphone icon for browsing now with phone, and instead replace their "User Online now" with a phone icon instead? It's a bunch of wasted space on a post that has no reason to be inside the actual post.
Be a pro and use Adblock to get rid of the smiley.

Top Bottom