• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A King's Quest For Respect: The Bowser Matchup Thread

JOE!

Smash Hero
^

its called the spinshot

Im gonna see if any of my buddies from the sawnik boards wanna join in..

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Oh, and another thing...can Sonic kill? I mean like without the infamous spring+up air combo, he can kill anyone with that...because I'm pretty sure Bowser is a whole other weight class lol, his smashes probably wont do much until oh-so-high percents with the right DI... <.<

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Oh, and another thing...can Sonic kill? I mean like without the infamous spring+up air combo, he can kill anyone with that...because I'm pretty sure Bowser is a whole other weight class lol, his smashes probably wont do much until oh-so-high percents with the right DI... <.<
Fsmash and Bair.

Good Sonics will land them easily. Both uair and bair out of spring works, and they seem to know how to land Fsmash easily enough. Particularly if they stutter step it.

Both Bair and Fsmash are particularly back for Bowser, as they are mainly horizontal knockback, not vertical. So if you're at higher % (120ish% IIRC), you could end up in a very bad position for getting spring gimp'd.

B!squick

Smash Master
Some notes on Sonic's kill moves: FSmash hits on 17 and BAir hits on 13. Compared to the rest of his move set, his kill moves are slow.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I'll just put it as 45-55 and be done with it. Next character!
**** you.
Get ***** when you fight a competent Sonic.

Anyway, Bowser without Sonic expierence is much worse than the other way around, because Sonic has so many mixups. This isn't a matchup worth learning though, unless you live in NY/NJ or in texas.

Bowser gets comboed (lolololol) by SDR (that is rolling in ball form on the ground). Once you get hit by SDR, there comes SDJ (Spin Dash Jump, out of a roll) and an aerial. You should spam your OoS fortress as soon as Sonic is done attacking your shield. Grabbing in this matchup isn't fun, because ur 2 slow.
I'm not even going to talk about the charging spins and mixups, because thats counted as mindgames.

ASC is kinda gay vs Bowser, because he's great at taking the hits. Once it hits, it's 17% damage, as well as an aerial at lower %.

I can't be bothered talking more about this matchup. Grab Sonic out of Spring for the love of god. And choose Halberd. And use U-air to punish airdodges/Spring-D'air.

Both Bair and Fsmash are particularly back for Bowser, as they are mainly horizontal knockback, not vertical. So if you're at higher % (120ish% IIRC), you could end up in a very bad position for getting spring gimp'd.
This is not true, Bowser up-B cancels the Spring. I'd be more scared of sweetspotted D-air gimps.

JOE!

Smash Hero
**** you.
Get ***** when you fight a competent Sonic.

Anyway, Bowser without Sonic expierence is much worse than the other way around, because Sonic has so many mixups. This isn't a matchup worth learning though, unless you live in NY/NJ or in texas.

Bowser gets comboed (lolololol) by SDR (that is rolling in ball form on the ground). Once you get hit by SDR, there comes SDJ (Spin Dash Jump, out of a roll) and an aerial. You should spam your OoS fortress as soon as Sonic is done attacking your shield. Grabbing in this matchup isn't fun, because ur 2 slow.
I'm not even going to talk about the charging spins and mixups, because thats counted as mindgames.

ASC is kinda gay vs Bowser, because he's great at taking the hits. Once it hits, it's 17% damage, as well as an aerial at lower %.

I can't be bothered talking more about this matchup. Grab Sonic out of Spring for the love of god. And choose Halberd. And use U-air to punish airdodges/Spring-D'air.

This is not true, Bowser up-B cancels the Spring. I'd be more scared of sweetspotted D-air gimps.

Boozer will sit there and let the spin charge, wont he? we has ph1r3 you know...

JOE!

Smash Hero
I mean is that fire cancels the spin dash if grounded, its all about spacing, trust me, spinshot only goes so high...

MrEh

Smash Hero
Sonic can just sideB and recover most of the time.

And yeah, I wouldn't use Fire that often against Sonic. Unless it's for the occasional spacing mindgame or something.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Mmm, Joe asked me if I could come here... I don't know why, it's not like I've ever come across a (good) Bowser in-person that abused the @#$% out of everything.

I also didn't want to sound like a broken record but I guess you can just assume this is my opinion... being as subjective as possible here.

Grabbing Sonic... that's LOL! Just can't be landing right in front of Bowser, got to space those Nairs/Bairs/Fairs, and whatever else you may think of, like a lagless Dair or that Uair... and if we're stupid enough, direct SDR approaches... hehe.

Though if you can react fast enough, Fortress is pretty nice, however it would seem that Bair is safe, since it has range, shield pushback, and is lagless.

What else... Oh yeah, Fire Breath, I wonder how that would work...I know that for edgeguarding that works okay, since Sonic's Spring doesn't sweetspot the ledge.. .but then again LOL-HA can be used if you're just Breathing just because... It's best to see where Sonic is at the moment, because if he is in-front of you, they might want to do Homing Attack to hit you/bounce of your shield and (try to) get back on stage. If Sonic is below you, then eventually we will have to come up, whereas Firebreath is just one of the things you can do, if you're gutsy enough/can read him then you can try and steal the ledge from him and let him plummet to his death. On a stage where he can HA stall though like... just about all of the possible legal neutrals... you might have a fun time trying to guess what he'll do next, when he'll do it.

Halberd seems like a nice stage to go to if you can avoid being Uair juggled to death, and I trust you can. Then again with a stage like that we can just wait a little bit longer and Spring from down-under to recover back... now how do stages work out for you? I don't really know, you tell me, because Sonic doesn't appear to have any stages he will auto-lose on, though Norfair is super gay... then again what if that's banned, either by the tourney's ruleset or by the Sonic player, what/where to go then...? I digress though, and you probably already know that.

Outside of gimps, Sonic won't be killing Bowser anytime soon... but can the same thing be said about you landing a kill move on Sonic? maybe, and maybe not... that's for you to decide, I really don't know too much about this MU, and I only have some knowledge here, though maybe enough to get me around. I'm sorry this is all I can provide.

TexanBull58

Smash Rookie
hey just wanna let yall kno i kno i never post on here but the koopa hop nullfies the spin charge sonic has, use that whenever sonic spams it, he can jump out of it tho, so mixing up the koopa hop with nair and fair will stop sonic from jumping up out of the spin charge and attackin u in mid-air

TexanBull58

Smash Rookie
oh yea and jab cancel with ftilt will also help to space against sonic, do that repeatedly whenever sonic is using a frontal charge with either sonics downbspecial or when hes using an iDA(which isnt very powerful anyways only 4 damage) but helps set up other attacks for sonic

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
We need to update the OP, it looks really empty and lacks any info. All you have to do is look at the discussion and take info from that =/

-:bowser:Bowser King

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Bowser's a big character, so we're gonna be spacing Bair and rushing Fairs at you. If we're foolish enough to try Fair when your shield is up, just up tilt out of the shield. Kill move ftw.

Oh, but if that happens usually on impulse we're gonna Up + B, so just shield the spring to avoid the little damage and knockback taken from it. That's my two-cents on the match-up. I've only done it once against a Bowser main about a year ago, but that should do the trick for punishing Sonic's Fair.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Ok, seriously, if you're going to go with that mindset have someone else do it, don't be a freaking prick.

And people ask why the board is ****ing dead, this is mind numbingly stupid. >_>

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
XD

The Bowser boards are already the most dead boards of the bunch. Whether or not I contribute to this silly topic is pointless. No one uses Bowser, so no one goes to these boards.
You know I prolly would have gotten into Bowser sooner if there was some real ****ing organization around here. The Bowser boards died due to **** like this, you are part of the problem, just because it's dead doesn't mean you cant get it back up and running, but you have to at least PRETEND that this place isn't just dead to stupid ****!

Good God why is one of the biggest pessimists on this entire forum stating this!

MrEh

Smash Hero
You know I prolly would have gotten into Bowser sooner if there was some real ****ing organization around here.
It actually would be better if you didn't use Bowser at all. lol

The Bowser boards died due to **** like this
It would be nice if you didn't activate the censor all the time. All the swearing gives the impression that you're angry for some reason.

And no, the Bowser boards never died. It's always been like this.

you are part of the problem
Yes I am. I am a big problem on the Bowser boards, and I'm the reason why the Bowser boards are dead. XD

just because it's dead doesn't mean you cant get it back up and running
Me? lol

but you have to at least PRETEND that this place isn't just dead to stupid ****!
Again, censor.

And why should I pretend anything? The board is dead. That's not me being pessimistic, that's me being a realist.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Sorry, meant like the community in general, not just you.

And um, the Falcon boards are more active, you don't become less active than C Falcon just because you're character is Bowser, it's from the terrible management here. So, if you don't care, why not have someone who isn't about as lazy as rocks do it?

Also, I ****ing love swearing, not my fault.

MrEh

Smash Hero
And um, the Falcon boards are more active, you don't become less active than C Falcon just because you're character is Bowser
Actually, the boards are dead because Bowser is hideously unpopular. This is a fact, and anyone who has even used Bowser for a long period of time knows this.

Bringing up Captain Falcon means nothing. Falcon Boards are more active because more people use Falcon. Simple.

Icyo

Smash Ace
Actually, the boards are dead because Bowser is hideously unpopular. This is a fact, and anyone who has even used Bowser for a long period of time knows this.

Bringing up Captain Falcon means nothing. Falcon Boards are more active because more people use Falcon. Simple.
You're right. That makes the Sonic match-up look 65-35 in Bowser's favor.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
lol i say 50-50, at worst 55-45 sonic and at best [aka on battlefield] 55-45 bowser

Seriously, smashville and battlefield are just too good for koopz imo

is there any character that just makes battlefiled a no-go for bowser?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
besides that....wow i was blanking out when i asked that question...forget it

MrEh

Smash Hero
I think this matchup is neutral provided that both players know what the hell they're doing. Bowser definitely has the defensive options to hinder Sonic, but at the same time, Sonic can punish the crap out of Bowser.

JOE!

Smash Hero
just becaus ehe's unpopular doesnt mean we cant or shouldnt update this, hell, it could make him more popular if someone happens to browse here and see all new info, etc

Top Bottom