• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A King's Quest For Respect: The Bowser Matchup Thread

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
LOL @ Spammy McArrow. I really hate fighting against Pit. He's just not fun to play against, only annoying as hell.

Worst of all, Boozer is so big it's hard NOT to hit him with projectiles. That's his main disadvantage after all. He's a large target. If Ridley were in Brawl, he'd be even bigger than Bowser, can you BELIEVE that?

B!squick

Smash Master
LOL @ Spammy McArrow. I really hate fighting against Pit. He's just not fun to play against, only annoying as hell.

Worst of all, Boozer is so big it's hard NOT to hit him with projectiles. That's his main disadvantage after all. He's a large target. If Ridley were in Brawl, he'd be even bigger than Bowser, can you BELIEVE that?
Well, he IS in Brawl and he is alot bigger, yes.

Daffy

Smash Rookie
Im honestly not bothered by Pit when it comes to this match up I mean you play agaisnt a Falco that feels worse to me cause he can stay on the run with his lasers, Pit can't do that with his Arrows. I was playing a very good Game & Watch a few days ago I mean he could do the 9 on demand he keeped trying to get me with it. Anyway to me this match was more about mind games and learning to correctly shield grab his B-air. Fortress was still king in this match up and the bucket wasn't an issue at all with useing fire breath really I alway hit him with a fire breath as he tryed to come down on me then he'd try to go into Bucket I'd quicly stop before he'd get drop and run up and side-b him. To me the match up felt even since we keept going back and forth on who won and I lost track of who actually won the most round in the end. Its true that most people don't know how to approach Bowser they just assume im going to be slow and an easy target.

A good Ike player gives me a lot of trouble. When I say a goiod Ike player I mean a player that can follow up Ike mad good one two three punch into mid grabs and other combos. I've found that through playing Ike his Jabs will completely out pace my jabs even if I get the first hit. Plus I have no way to edge guard him when he's coming up with an up-B doing so just gets me hurt or risks getting draged down. Plus out of all of the other characters his f-air seems to be just be slighty better than mine which is a huge problem on approaching for me. My biggest tools on killing him would be Fortress, Fire breath, up-tlit, Side-B, Grabs, N-air, and rarely D- smash. Trying to come from unerneath Ike for a Up-air is more risky than trying that with lucario . If have suggestions for dealing with Ike I'd like to know.

B!squick

Smash Master
Just do to Ike what everyone else usually does to you: use your superior speed to your advantage. Always remember that per attack, Bowser is faster than Captain Falcon most of the time.

bigserg

Smash Apprentice
Im honestly not bothered by Pit when it comes to this match up I mean you play agaisnt a Falco that feels worse to me cause he can stay on the run with his lasers, Pit can't do that with his Arrows. I was playing a very good Game & Watch a few days ago I mean he could do the 9 on demand he keeped trying to get me with it. Anyway to me this match was more about mind games and learning to correctly shield grab his B-air. Fortress was still king in this match up and the bucket wasn't an issue at all with useing fire breath really I alway hit him with a fire breath as he tryed to come down on me then he'd try to go into Bucket I'd quicly stop before he'd get drop and run up and side-b him. To me the match up felt even since we keept going back and forth on who won and I lost track of who actually won the most round in the end. Its true that most people don't know how to approach Bowser they just assume im going to be slow and an easy target.

A good Ike player gives me a lot of trouble. When I say a goiod Ike player I mean a player that can follow up Ike mad good one two three punch into mid grabs and other combos. I've found that through playing Ike his Jabs will completely out pace my jabs even if I get the first hit. Plus I have no way to edge guard him when he's coming up with an up-B doing so just gets me hurt or risks getting draged down. Plus out of all of the other characters his f-air seems to be just be slighty better than mine which is a huge problem on approaching for me. My biggest tools on killing him would be Fortress, Fire breath, up-tlit, Side-B, Grabs, N-air, and rarely D- smash. Trying to come from unerneath Ike for a Up-air is more risky than trying that with lucario . If have suggestions for dealing with Ike I'd like to know.
im talking with personal experience. against ike, you should always remain on the ground except on sneaky SH side-B. what most ikes(good ikes) do is jab cancel, and do retrieving F-airs. if see the ike jump, get ready to power shield it and punish. His F-air is easy to see coming but sometimes tricky punishing it. if he stays on the ground hoping to jab you to death (or atleast 20%) fire. you said he makes it hard for you to approach, but you really don't need to. Let him come to you. if your fire does even 1%, your in the lead. dont go all bruce lee and fight his F-air with yours.

some other tips that i find useful.
-when ike is recovering space your fire so that it hits off the edge but ike's aether has no chance of hitting you. if it hits, ike starts falling and the person on reaction do aether too fast, leaving room for more fire or other punishment.
-if the ike gets predictable with his F-airs, its not a bad idea to run right under his jump and up-smash. be careful because his F-air still hits from behind.
-if youre near the edge, try not to roll behind him, or youll most likely eat an up-smash.
-stay in your shield and up-B, but thats general bowser info.
-if you're at 100% or higher and you see ike staring the opposite way (not facing you) he is going to do a SH B-air. It comes out fast and can kill.
-DONT GET HIT BY HIS SIDE SMASH.

bigserg

Smash Apprentice

im talking with personal experience. against ike, you should always remain on the ground except on sneaky SH side-B. what most ikes(good ikes) do is jab cancel, and do retrieving F-airs. if see the ike jump, get ready to power shield it and punish. His F-air is easy to see coming but sometimes tricky punishing it. if he stays on the ground hoping to jab you to death (or atleast 20%) fire. you said he makes it hard for you to approach, but you really don't need to. Let him come to you. if your fire does even 1%, your in the lead. dont go all bruce lee and fight his F-air with yours.

some other tips that i find useful.
-when ike is recovering space your fire so that it hits off the edge but ike's aether has no chance of hitting you. if it hits, ike starts falling and the person on reaction do aether too fast, leaving room for more fire or other punishment.
-if the ike gets predictable with his F-airs, its not a bad idea to run right under his jump and up-smash. be careful because his F-air still hits from behind.
-if youre near the edge, try not to roll behind him, or youll most likely eat an up-smash.
-stay in your shield and up-B, but thats general bowser info.
-if you're at 100% or higher and you see ike staring the opposite way (not facing you) he is going to do a SH B-air. It comes out fast and can kill.
-DONT GET HIT BY HIS SIDE SMASH.

Hope that helps.

Flayl

Smash Hero
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=244529

Guys I think we should do these only for the matchups we have or will eventually play.

Regular singles:
- Meta Knight
- Snake
- Wario
- Falco
- Diddy Kong
- King Dedede
- Marth
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Pikachu
- Olimar
- R.O.B.
- Zero Suit Samus

And maybe for low tiers singles:
- Ike
- Sonic
- Pokémon Trainer
- Ness

Screw everybody else.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Because essentially Bowser goes even with/and/or beats them, or they're just not gay enough to be discussed. Or it's just a common sense matchup, lol.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Why does bowser have no positive match ups I understand he is in d tier but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 50-50 Bowser-> Ike and 55-45 DK

B!squick

Smash Master
DK has a much safer approach than Bowser, that's why it's 60/40. And Ike has a special chain grab on the EXTREMELY off chance the Ike play just HAPPENED to practise it for a character no one plays. Other that, Ike has the range advantage and a nasty spike.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I played Rykoshet at Gauntlet 2 weeks ago, and he said the CG doesn't really quite work, considering the fact that Bowser could UpB after the second BThrow...somehow. I did actually UpB after the second throw, and afterwards he just stopped bothering really. TBH maybe this is me, but I get feuled with rage when I get jab cancelled to hell by Ike. Sometimes I wish UpB was even faster, that'd be somethin' to talk about even more <:

60/40 DK because, like Jay said, BAir ***** us lul. I've been told [by Gen] that as long as you just keep from DK's backside there isn't really much left besides that, but I've been proven wrong xD

Also at higher %'s I think DK has an easier time killing us than Bowser does him, simply because he can't really be GR'd into anything, and all of his smashes are pretty strong -_- and fast, kinda.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Yep, DK is better at killing than Bowser. He has a DSmash that covers everywhere while ours is, like, jigglypuff's rest >_>

His FSmash kills earlier, has more range and is safer.

His USmash is worse but with a DSmash like that who needs an USmash.

He actually gets super armor in his Special kill move, while we don't even get super armor on Bowser bomb.

If it weren't for klaw we'd be boned.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
So...hooray for bringing back the matchup thread?

Can we get to discussing guys, or is that In-depth matchup thread where we go now for this kinda stuff?

If it is, I think we should discuss whatever we feel like discussing over there, then writing up summaries and putting them here instead.

Or we could merge the two threads somehow...or something like that. What do you guys think?

Flayl

Smash Hero
I'd prefer to keep the threads separated. Summaries and ratios here, in-depth how to play in the other thread.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I played Rykoshet at Gauntlet 2 weeks ago, and he said the CG doesn't really quite work, considering the fact that Bowser could UpB after the second BThrow...somehow. I did actually UpB after the second throw, and afterwards he just stopped bothering really. TBH maybe this is me, but I get feuled with rage when I get jab cancelled to hell by Ike. Sometimes I wish UpB was even faster, that'd be somethin' to talk about even more <:
It does work, it just has to be basically frame perfect. >_> It's mainly for theoretical match-up discussions, and not very likely at all to be actually used correctly.

But in theory, someone could practice it to the point they can do it fairly well.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
It does work, it just has to be basically frame perfect. >_> It's mainly for theoretical match-up discussions, and not very likely at all to be actually used correctly.

But in theory, someone could practice it to the point they can do it fairly well.
People shouldn't theorycraft so much in matchup discussions.
In theory, a lot of characters have infinites or chaingrabs on other characters, but they're so impractical and situational, that they simply play no role.

In theory, Ganondorf is able to infinite every single character in Brawl. Does he win tournaments with it? No. He still is dead-last on the tier list. It's just incredibly impractical.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion

I never get it past the second throw so I just bait the up B and just fsmash bowser for using it. Now that I explained that mindgame, it's no longer going to work.

B!squick

Smash Master
No, I don't believe we've discussed Sonic nearly enough AND I just saw my shadow this morning, so 4 more weeks of discussing.

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
I like how we can now abuse the privilage of having a legit bowser mod!!!
About the sonic matchup just keep in mind these few things
Sonic is fast Bowser is not :(
Bowser has sharper spikes than Sonic :)
Sonic is more popular than Bowser :(
Bowser........................................................................................................thats about it. I cant really think of anything else that Bowser would be better at than Sonic

Flayl

Smash Hero
Sonic rotates around the horizontal axis while Bowser rotates around the vertical axis. This is very important.

On a serious note, we're WAY better at killing than Sonic. That being said I'm not claiming advantage for Bowser or arguing for any ratio.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
They are polar opposites Sonic is fast and weak but Bowser is slow and strong of course everybody knows this but I'm giving my reasons why I think bowser has an advantage in this match up. Sonic is so leightweight he is very easy to kill. Any of Bowsers smashes will kill sonic at around 100%, Fsmash at 70%, U tilt at 110% and Bowsers fair and bair will kill him off stage at around 105%. (if move is fresh)

Sonics only kill options are fsmash at 130% and bair at also around 120%-130% depending if they are off stage or not. SONIC WILL HAVE A HARD TIME KILLING in this matchup. This and sonics lack of range is why the main reason I think bowser wins this matchup.

Bowser can pretty much **** sonics approaches because of sonics range is so small where as Bowsers is a lot longer. I haven't tested it but I think bowsers f-tilt out prioritizes sonics Bair Fortress and Ftilt are key in this match up just like others. Shield a lot and ***** fortress. Sonics dash grab is the only thing you have to really worry about when shielding but it has alot of ending lag if he misses it and you just fortress the approach besides that I don't see sonic having a thread to Bowsers shield game

Summary: Sonic is fast but lacks the kill power to KO bowser and range to get up in his zone to do damage and bowser outprioritises many of sonics moves

(I have next to no knowledge in this matchup except testing, reading and watching pro players of both characters and playing scrub sonics) if anything is way wrong are you dont agree with me at all then please tell me)
55-45 Bowser

All tests were done in training without any DI and moves never being stale therefore results aren't accurate and werent meant to be they are just trying to give you a general idea of how easy sonic is to kill.)

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
Bowser boards need a little discipline. Anyway im willing to help out the matchup board as much as possible. Sadly i know nothing about sonic so maybe next month, when we or well if we ever even get close to finishing the discussion on sonic, ill be super helpful with the whatever it is that we are supposed to do. OH WHY OH WHY DID I HAVE TO BE A BOWSER MAINER!!!!! Curse u zeus and sakurai!!!!

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
You didn't have to be a Bowser main lol. It was all on your choice. No one asked/beckoned you to use Bowser. it was all up to you.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
By the way, if someone is willing to make the little discussion summaries, they could take over this discussion and we could finish the last couple characters.

B!squick

Smash Master
He was just joking Limit. XD

I think everyone HAS said what they intended to say on the match up by this point, MrEh is just being lazy. :p

Top Bottom